Kodi Community Forum
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) (/showthread.php?tid=252916)

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated September 2017) - nickr - 2017-10-28

(2017-10-26, 14:41)Avds Wrote: Anyone tested the new Amazon 4k hdr device? Looks a decent box.
Yes plenty of people have, there are threads about it.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated September 2017) - nickr - 2017-10-28

(2017-10-28, 07:10)brtani Wrote: I have a question.

What is the different between Libreelec and OSMC?

Is better wetek play 2 with LE or Vero 4k with OSMC?

Thanks.

LibreELEC is a custom operating system that is designed to run Kodi.

OSMC is a customised debian operating system designed to run Kodi.

If you want to install other programs, OSMC is for you because you it can install anything from the debian repos.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated September 2017) - wrxtasy - 2017-10-28

(2017-10-28, 09:07)Nightwatch Wrote: So what options do I have if I want to watch SD (480p) content?  Setting the Kodi GUI to 480p (assuming that's even an option) is going to look terrible. 
If you want the best out of 480p content then buy Intel or even a NVIDIA Shield and use the high quality software upscalers in Intel LibreELEC Kodi Krypton or SPMC (Kodi Jarvis 16.1) on the Shield. However you will be continually, manually fiddling with Android and Kodi settings on the Shield for optimal 480p, 1080p and 4K HDR outputs. SPMC uses Lanczos3 - optimised, not sure about the software upscalers used with Intel LibreELEC.

AMLogic LibreELEC will use Hardware upscaling 480p > 720/1080p if you set a GUI resolution of 720/1080p If you have a 4K TV the TV will then further hardware upscale 720/1080p > 4K. Results visually look fine to me on all AMLogic Hardware I've tested. As I said you just throw video content at AMLogic OSMC/LibreELEC devices and let them do their auto manipulation.

No amount of upscaling manipulation is going to magically improve what is these days - low bitrate 480p video content vs 1080p Bluray bitrates.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated September 2017) - timstephens24 - 2017-10-28

(2017-10-28, 07:10)brtani Wrote: I have a question.

What is the different between Libreelec and OSMC?

Is better wetek play 2 with LE or Vero 4k with OSMC?
LibreELEC is a 'just enough OS' linux distro to run Kodi (forked from OpenELEC). OSMC is running on Debian 8 allowing you install anything else that'll run on Debian.  The only real difference when it comes to Kodi itself is that OSMC has it's own skin, but you can still change it to any other skin you want.

Which box is better depends on what you want to do with the box.  See the first post to answer your question there.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated September 2017) - Flossme - 2017-10-29

I just finally figured out how to install LIbreelec on my minix neo u1, however I am wondering if there is a guide/walk through on how to edit the hosts file when running libreelec?

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated September 2017) - r0mbus - 2017-10-29

Hi there, i have one question:
im looking for for a box with following features:
-LibreELEC only (auto resolution-switch + refresh rate) = without Amazon, Netflix etc. I want to use it only with kodi/osmc
-4K+HDR+HEVC 10bit
-HD-Audio
-2GB/3GB RAM
-GBit Ethernet

Which one should i pick? Vero 4k is a great out-of-the-box choice, but im afraid, fast ethernet is not enough for UHD-Content stream via LAN from NAS.
HIMEDIA™ Q10 PRO - a little bit expensive (199€)
MINIX NEO U9-H - not so expensive (135€)
ZIDOO X9S - not available in Germany Sad

Any other alternatives? Are those 2 boxes good enough?

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated September 2017) - wrxtasy - 2017-10-30

DIY LibreELEC on the MINIX U9-H meets all your requirements, can be setup to boot straight into Kodi. Fast snappy box.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated September 2017) - Flossme - 2017-10-30

(2017-10-30, 00:59)wrxtasy Wrote: DIY LibreELEC on the MINIX U9-H meets all your requirements, can be setup to boot straight into Kodi. Fast snappy box.

Do you have a link to where I can find a walk through on how to modify the hosts for a minix neo u1 running Libreelec?

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated September 2017) - nickr - 2017-10-30

What do you mean "modify the hosts"?

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated September 2017) - Flossme - 2017-10-30

Within Android OS I would use Hosts Editor application.  Where I can put custom host settings IP/addresses into it.  Basically how do I edit ~/.config/hosts.conf ?

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated September 2017) - nickr - 2017-10-30

Yes you edit that file over ssh with the nano editor, or vi if you are brave.

But really, fix your DNS.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated September 2017) - MidnightWatcher - 2017-10-31

(2017-10-29, 20:39)r0mbus Wrote: Hi there, i have one question:
-LibreELEC only (auto resolution-switch + refresh rate) = without Amazon, Netflix etc. I want to use it only with kodi/osmc
-4K+HDR+HEVC 10bit
-HD-Audio
-2GB/3GB RAM
-GBit Ethernet

Which one should i pick? Vero 4k is a great out-of-the-box choice, but im afraid, fast ethernet is not enough for UHD-Content stream via LAN from NAS.

The Vero 4K streams UHD perfectly fine from a NAS. I have no problem here. If you're worried about fast ethernet you could always pick up an inexpensive USB to Gigabit adapter. For the fewest problems and the best support the Vero 4K is hard to beat.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated September 2017) - r0mbus - 2017-10-31

(2017-10-30, 00:59)wrxtasy Wrote: DIY LibreELEC on the MINIX U9-H meets all your requirements, can be setup to boot straight into Kodi. Fast snappy box.

(2017-10-31, 07:57)MidnightWatcher Wrote:
(2017-10-29, 20:39)r0mbus Wrote: Hi there, i have one question:
-4K+HDR+HEVC 10bit
-HD-Audio
-2GB/3GB RAM
-GBit Ethernet

The Vero 4K streams UHD perfectly fine from a NAS. I have no problem here. If you're worried about fast ethernet you could always pick up an inexpensive USB to Gigabit adapter. For the fewest problems and the best support the Vero 4K is hard to beat.

Thx for your reply Smile have you tried to stream some big UHD-File? 80Gb or more. Another question - this usb to gigabit adapter will work without any issues out-of-the-box?

wrxtasy, thx a lot Smile

Sam.Nazarko, at some reason i cant send PMs - computer says no Big Grin i mean, it tells me that i dont have enough permissions. The biggest file ive found its "John Wick 2": ~78Mbit bitrate (it doesnt matter if its true UHD or not, just an example) + Audio Track. 78Mbit is an average number if i understand it correct. It means, that in some cases it can be above 78Mbit.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated September 2017) - Arraco - 2017-10-31

I have downloaded Kodi on my laptop MacBook Air 1.4 Ghz intel core i5 Mem 4 GB, 20 gb internet connection
And I´ve had some problems with frozen and jumping video
I just want to use it for tv shows at 1080 p
My question is if it would work better with a stand alone device ?
Im thinking in Roku Express 

Thank you

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated September 2017) - MidnightWatcher - 2017-10-31

80Gb? No I have not, but it's not the size that matters. It's the bitrate. And, yes, a gigabit adapter should work out of the box.