Kodi Community Forum
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) (/showthread.php?tid=252916)

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Sep. 2018) - shad - 2018-10-01

I didn't mean a comparison between MrMC and full blown Kodi, but rather a comparison between MrMC based on Kodi Jarvis and (maybe not even coming) MrMC based on Kodi Krypton, Leia, ... I.e. functional disadvantages of MrMC if it would just stop at Jarvis.

I actually have read that ATV 4k review already, but I guess it was one of many threads in the last few days, so that I need to sort all the information. Will read it again anyway. It was a rather theoretical question anyway. All the feedback about MrMC seems to be very good, so should be fine.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Sep. 2018) - solamnic - 2018-10-01

(2018-10-01, 17:07)shad Wrote: I didn't mean a comparison between MrMC and full blown Kodi, but rather a comparison between MrMC based on Kodi Jarvis and (maybe not even coming) MrMC based on Kodi Krypton, Leia, ... I.e. functional disadvantages of MrMC if it would just stop at Jarvis.

I actually have read that ATV 4k review already, but I guess it was one of many threads in the last few days, so that I need to sort all the information. Will read it again anyway. It was a rather theoretical question anyway. All the feedback about MrMC seems to be very good, so should be fine.
If you dont need Kodi addons, full skin customization and need only 1080p or 4K (HDR) playback with the minimun hassle - MrMc or Infuse will do just fine in Apple TV 4K...

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Sep. 2018) - wrxtasy - 2018-10-01

(2018-10-01, 17:07)shad Wrote: I didn't mean a comparison between MrMC and full blown Kodi, but rather a comparison between MrMC based on Kodi Jarvis and (maybe not even coming) MrMC based on Kodi Krypton, Leia, ... I.e. functional disadvantages of MrMC if it would just stop at Jarvis.
You need to ask over on the actual MrMC forum if you want the answers you are looking for.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Sep. 2018) - JohnWB - 2018-10-04

I have Infuse on the Apple TV 4K and that works very well with a really nice interface. It plays all my movies & TV programs from my NAS box including 4K movies up to 70gb in size.

It is more wife friendly compared to Kodi devices ( i also have a Wetek Play 2 with LibreELEC )

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Sep. 2018) - wrxtasy - 2018-10-05

(2018-10-04, 16:22)JohnWB Wrote: I have Infuse on the Apple TV 4K and that works very well with a really nice interface. It plays all my movies & TV programs from my NAS box including 4K movies up to 70gb in size.

It is more wife friendly compared to Kodi devices ( i also have a Wetek Play 2 with LibreELEC )
As nicely presented as the Infuse App is, it costs $69.99 for Lifetime support where I live if you need 4K or need AC3, DTS or HD audio support. And you do not even get PVR server support, nor any Music or Picture database functionality with Infuse.

That is Apple user base price gouging IMHO vs other options available. But then again...what price do you pay for....

Happy Wife = Happy Life Wink

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Sep. 2018) - JohnWB - 2018-10-05

(2018-10-05, 02:46)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2018-10-04, 16:22)JohnWB Wrote: I have Infuse on the Apple TV 4K and that works very well with a really nice interface. It plays all my movies & TV programs from my NAS box including 4K movies up to 70gb in size.

As nicely presented as the Infuse App is, it costs $69.99 for Lifetime support where I live if you need 4K or need AC3, DTS or HD audio support. And you do not even get PVR server support, nor any Music or Picture database functionality with Infuse.

That is Apple user base price gouging IMHO vs other options available. But then again...what price do you pay for....

Happy Wife = Happy Life Wink 
I upgraded my Free version to pro and that costs some were around $ 9.99 a year which gives you all the updates plus all the next number revisions ie version 5 to version 6

See  the web address below near the bottom

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1136220934?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Sep. 2018) - ash2 - 2018-10-16

I found out I need flash player to watch channels and VOD.

Any help on if that can be done and what pitfalls to look out for?

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Sep. 2018) - wrxtasy - 2018-10-16

(2018-10-16, 02:51)ash2 Wrote: I found out I need flash player to watch channels and VOD.

Any help on if that can be done and what pitfalls to look out for?
We really have no idea what you are talking about.
This section of the Kodi forum is Not for Software support. There is a seperate Windows Kodi sub forum if you need help.
If it's Pirate VOD streaming - you will receive no help at all.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Sep. 2018) - ash2 - 2018-10-16

We are monthly payers of cable TV, xfinity.com subscription (legal paid physical cable) service that has some streaming and Video on Demand.
Thru Xfinity.com I've been doing the streaming and VOD over Win8 and Win10 via Chrome, IE, and Edge which all require Adobe Flashplayer to work on our computers.

We have our older 4k TV (that has built in Netflix and Amazon, Pluto TV, etc that work great so no need for hardware for that, yet no app for our subscription cable TV) on a Win 8 laptop that is having FPS issues with streaming, hence I'm looking at a replacement.
If I cant do Adobe Flashplayer for the VOD and live stream of channels of my subscription, theres not much reason (legal) for me to look at this Kodi route.

I'm hoping I can do a legal cheaper hardware solution alternative, rather than spend $300-400 on a new laptop to stream our current legal subscription channels and VOD.

If this needs to be posted elsewhere in software support, please guide me there. My gut instinct is that the foundation of Adobe Flash will be hardware as it appears some hardware has browser problems. And if the browser fight is won, will it have Adobe Flash Player support.

Hoping someone can with cable TV can tell me what the best Kodi solution they have.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Sep. 2018) - ash2 - 2018-10-17

We are looking for hardware that supports DRM software.
I'm reading HBO has streaming issues. We dont have HBO at the moment.
But we do have Starz.

Maybe set up a forum on streaming issues?

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Sep. 2018) - Eklar - 2018-10-17

Do any of the UHD players have 2xHDMI ports so that I could run hi-res audio directly to my AVR, and UHD video stream separately to my projector? Vero or WeTek Play don't.

I have an older AVR which doesn't support 4K streams, and the optical connection doesn't support hi-res audio formats. Therefore the only option I see is to split audio and video streams using dual HDMI outs at the source.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Sep. 2018) - Sholander - 2018-10-17

Your other solution is to use some kind of HDMI spliter, something like this.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Sep. 2018) - ozkhan1 - 2018-10-17

A bit pricey but is a very well reviewed product:

https://www.hdfury.com/product/vertex-4k60-444-600mhz/

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Sep. 2018) - ash2 - 2018-10-18

Pinning down my 2 requirements to dive into this.

Function of Kodi for me is the xfinity streaming app
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/getting-started-xfinity-tv-mobile-app

and/or (rather both as xfinity is known for quality issues and appears to be Hulu driven)

Current flash player sign in with my xfinity account at channel websites. (Discovery, FS1, ESPN etc).

An xfinity/comcast cable users have any experience here?

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Sep. 2018) - zacmessi08 - 2018-10-18

MOD Edit for readability

I am new here, just made my account, I hope I am posting in the correct section. Actually I am planning to upgrade my TV to 4K HDR10 Dolby Vision

So I am looking for a hassle free solution to play Bluray Rips.
I have a 4k video pass-through capable and Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD MA decode capable AVR (Denon X1400H). So, I want to bit stream Blu Ray rips.
I will be connecting Portable HDD to Kodi Box and Kodi box to AVR and AVR to TV.

So please suggest a solution which can fulfill my requirement. Added capability to play 4K HDR content from Youtube, Netflix or similar services is a bonus but nor mandatory.

Also one more question: Is there any video or quality difference when playing bluray rips from BD player or Kodi box?