Kodi Community Forum
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) (/showthread.php?tid=252916)

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated October 2019) - antony23 - 2019-12-17

Why kodi hd audio passtrough is working on this box having android 9 pie and not in other box with same os?

More, what about deinterlacing? It is working correctly?

Anyway again no dolby vision with kody, right?

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated October 2019) - wrxtasy - 2019-12-17

(2019-12-17, 05:15)antony23 Wrote: Why kodi hd audio passtrough is working on this box having android 9 pie and not in other box with same os?

Quality Android Firmware from UGOOS to ensure Android Kodi Leia compatibility would be the answer. Smile

Quote:More, what about deinterlacing? It is working correctly?

I doubt it works properly in Android - would very likely be the same as all other v4.9 Linux Kernel AMLogic Android media players.
Producing blocky mpeg2 deinterlacing and half motion h264 deinterlacing. Half motion really is no good for fast sports action.

SD 480/576i mpeg2 TV broadcasts can be SW decoded with full motion deinterlacing in Android Kodi on a S922X chipset if you use Android Kodi Leia's decodefilter.xml mod.

Dual boot to CoreELEC Kodi if you want full deinterlacing support.

VC-1 Bluray Rips will also have issues, solution - use CoreELEC Kodi.

Quote:Anyway again no dolby vision with kody, right?

The Chipset is not licensed for DolbyVision, same as virtually all other AMLogic S922X chipsets on the market. The exception is the Dolby Licensed - S922Z in the 2019 Amazon Fire TV Cube.

Kodi does not support any sort of DolbyVision currently on any platform.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated October 2019) - antony23 - 2019-12-17

Thanks... I hoped this magic firmware made deinterlacing h264 working... No luck!

I will not have luck in new andoird 10? Or what i shoulde hope to see it working on Android?

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated October 2019) - tigersky - 2019-12-17

(2019-12-17, 01:22)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-12-16, 19:44)tigersky Wrote: HI FOLKS,  is there anyone using KODI in odroid n2 android 9 pie. what about dts passthrough and HD audio options availability in audio settings. does the IEC 61937 audio codec implemented in odroid's android. please give us some information.

No to both HD audio options, exactly the same results as AMLogic S922Z 2019 Amazon Fire TV Cube, see this https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=347239&pid=2905574#pid2905574

If you want a quality AMLogic S922X, Dual Boot, Android 9 Pie / CoreELEC Kodi device - on that does both Kodi Android auto Refresh Switching and Kodi Android HD audio passthrough, then look at the UGOOS AM6.
See the following thread for details:

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/35qylvm3 
absence of HD audio options in odroid's android is a pity and unacceptable since it's a hugely supported and popular SBC among kodi lovers. why hardkernal is not providing a quality android firmware that fully supports  kodi like ugoos am6 is a valid question?

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated October 2019) - sidsilver2 - 2019-12-17

Is the Ugoos AM6 better than the Beelink GT-King dual system?

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated October 2019) - clarkss12 - 2019-12-17

(2019-12-17, 11:34)sidsilver2 Wrote: Is the Ugoos AM6 better than the Beelink GT-King dual system?

Depends on who you ask and what you desire in a device.  Thanks to Beelink, I have both the King and King PRO, I prefer the Pro because it runs much, much cooler.  As others have stated, the Ugoos passes through HD audio, whereas the Beelink doesn't.  Ugoos has always provided good software support and hardware.  I still have a Ugoos device from years ago, just don't know where I have stashed it.

Whatever device you get, the remote is the key for satisfaction.  The Beelink air mouse remote is OK, but too stiff for my use.  I have/had numerous Android devices and remotes throughout the years, but I finally found a very good remote to use on these boxes (G30s)........  I liked the first one I purchased, I purchased 2 more.  The air mouse portion of the remote works, great, the "mic" works better than any remote that I have, and it is sooo comfortable to hold.....

You can find this remote on Aliexpress for less than $10 USD and most of the keys can be programmed.  It is a dual RF and IR remote......  I made a YouTube video showing what it looks like but now how it operates........

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated October 2019) - sidsilver2 - 2019-12-17

(2019-12-17, 16:23)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2019-12-17, 11:34)sidsilver2 Wrote: Is the Ugoos AM6 better than the Beelink GT-King dual system?

Depends on who you ask and what you desire in a device.  Thanks to Beelink, I have both the King and King PRO, I prefer the Pro because it runs much, much cooler.  As others have stated, the Ugoos passes through HD audio, whereas the Beelink doesn't.  Ugoos has always provided good software support and hardware.  I still have a Ugoos device from years ago, just don't know where I have stashed it.

Whatever device you get, the remote is the key for satisfaction.  The Beelink air mouse remote is OK, but too stiff for my use.  I have/had numerous Android devices and remotes throughout the years, but I finally found a very good remote to use on these boxes (G30s)........  I liked the first one I purchased, I purchased 2 more.  The air mouse portion of the remote works, great, the "mic" works better than any remote that I have, and it is sooo comfortable to hold.....

You can find this remote on Aliexpress for less than $10 USD and most of the keys can be programmed.  It is a dual RF and IR remote......  I made a YouTube video showing what it looks like but now how it operates........ 

Thanks, I have a Minix Neo A2 remote which I like.
Going to go with the Ugoos the standard or pro?

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated October 2019) - wrxtasy - 2019-12-18

(2019-12-17, 16:49)sidsilver2 Wrote: Going to go with the Ugoos the standard or pro?

Android always likes more RAM, because multiple Apps can be kept in memory longer instead of being closed completely by Android OS garbage collection routines.
End result is faster, multiple Apps startup/resume.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated October 2019) - sidsilver2 - 2019-12-18

(2019-12-18, 03:06)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-12-17, 16:49)sidsilver2 Wrote: Going to go with the Ugoos the standard or pro?

Android always likes more RAM, because multiple Apps can be kept in memory longer instead of being closed completely by Android OS garbage collection routines.

That,s what I thought thanks, where to buy one from though its going to have to come from ali, bang or gear, which is the best?

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated October 2019) - wrxtasy - 2019-12-18

(2019-12-18, 10:02)sidsilver2 Wrote:
(2019-12-18, 03:06)wrxtasy Wrote:

That,s what I thought thanks, where to buy one from though its going to have to come from ali, bang or gear, which is the best?

You could do the same as this guy in the following post:
https://whrl.pl/RfYOa7

Included Fast shipping seems cheap.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated October 2019) - sidsilver2 - 2019-12-18

(2019-12-18, 10:44)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-12-18, 10:02)sidsilver2 Wrote:
(2019-12-18, 03:06)wrxtasy Wrote: Android always likes more RAM, because multiple Apps can be kept in memory longer instead of being closed completely by Android OS garbage collection routines.

That's a new site for me, some good stuff on there thanks.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated October 2019) - sidsilver2 - 2019-12-19

(2019-12-18, 11:22)sidsilver2 Wrote:
(2019-12-18, 10:44)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-12-18, 10:02)sidsilver2 Wrote: That,s what I thought thanks, where to buy one from though its going to have to come from ali, bang or gear, which is the best? 

That's a new site for me, some good stuff on there thanks. 

Lots of bad reviews, don't think I'll get one from there.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated October 2019) - sidsilver2 - 2019-12-19

Don't trust any of these Chinese sites so want to buy from the UK, is the Mecool KM3 a good alternative to the Ugoos AM6?

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated October 2019) - Juno - 2019-12-24

@wrxtasy 
@clarkss12 
Thank You for tips.
For now i think Mecool KM9 Pro, Beelink GT-King (not Pro) and UGOOS AM6 Pro are on top for my demands. Especially GT-King and AM6 as they have SPDiF. I just use my stereo audio rig with SPDiF input. I read about problems in some boxes with HD audio passthrough. I use stereo LPCM with files up to 24/192 (prefer 16/44,1). In that case HD audio is 24/192 for LPCM?

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated October 2019) - noggin - 2019-12-24

(2019-12-24, 00:28)Juno Wrote: @wrxtasy 
@clarkss12 
I use stereo LPCM with files up to 24/192 (prefer 16/44,1). In that case HD audio is 24/192 for LPCM?

Most commercial soundtracks on Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray are 48k/24bit these days I think - so the 5.1/7.1 48k/24 bit audio will be down mixed to 48k/24 bit 2.0 - and possibly output in 16 bit over SPDIF (I'm not sure if 24 bit support is standard)