Kodi Community Forum
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) (/showthread.php?tid=252916)

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated October 2019) - Juno - 2019-12-24

(2019-12-24, 00:56)noggin Wrote:
(2019-12-24, 00:28)Juno Wrote: @wrxtasy 
@clarkss12 
I use stereo LPCM with files up to 24/192 (prefer 16/44,1). In that case HD audio is 24/192 for LPCM?

Most commercial soundtracks on Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray are 48k/24bit these days I think - so the 5.1/7.1 48k/24 bit audio will be down mixed to 48k/24 bit 2.0 - and possibly output in 16 bit over SPDIF (I'm not sure if 24 bit support is standard) 

Yes, I understand. But i say about simple LPCM stereeo. According to HD audio problems in android boxes: 24/192 stereo is already HD? Or its just about multichannel? So, can i listen LPCM stereo 24/192? I suppose this HD audio is about 24/48 in 5.1+, not 2.0 LPCM 24/192. I hope i mean. Smile

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated October 2019) - wrxtasy - 2019-12-24

@clarkss12 
Thank You for tips.
For now i think Mecool KM9 Pro, Beelink GT-King (not Pro) and UGOOS AM6 Pro are on top for my demands. Especially GT-King and AM6 as they have SPDiF. I just use my stereo audio rig with SPDiF input. I read about problems in some boxes with HD audio passthrough. I use stereo LPCM with files up to 24/192 (prefer 16/44,1). In that case HD audio is 24/192 for LPCM?

If using Android, UGOOS AM6 will be the only one for Kodi HD Audio and video, auto Refresh Rate support.

The cheaper UGOOS X2 Cube is also decent device if you want good, ongoing Android Firmware support with quality hardware components used, and SPDIF with GigaE LAN.

If you use CoreELEC Kodi on any of them, then there really are no limitations for anything, audio or video.

I'm still wary of Beelink GT-Kings (non Pro) because of the GigaE LAN Hardware design issues they have had. (See CoreELEC forums)
No Firmware update will fix a fundamental hardware design problem. That screams Hardware that has been rushed to market and not tested properly.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated October 2019) - noggin - 2019-12-24

(2019-12-24, 01:42)Juno Wrote:
(2019-12-24, 00:56)noggin Wrote:
@clarkss12 
I use stereo LPCM with files up to 24/192 (prefer 16/44,1). In that case HD audio is 24/192 for LPCM?

Most commercial soundtracks on Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray are 48k/24bit these days I think - so the 5.1/7.1 48k/24 bit audio will be down mixed to 48k/24 bit 2.0 - and possibly output in 16 bit over SPDIF (I'm not sure if 24 bit support is standard)   

Yes, I understand. But i say about simple LPCM stereeo. According to HD audio problems in android boxes: 24/192 stereo is already HD? Or its just about multichannel? So, can i listen LPCM stereo 24/192? I suppose this HD audio is about 24/48 in 5.1+, not 2.0 LPCM 24/192. I hope i mean. Smile  
I think most discussions about HD Audio relate to bitstream/passthrough of the lossless compressed DTS HD MA and Dolby True HD formats (for AVR decode) rather than 5.1/7.1 PCM output.   You are right that most references to HD Audio are in regards to Dolby True HD / DTS HD Master Audio rather than high sample rate / high bit depth stereo PCM - though there are people who care about that in the Kodi world too (who listen to high sample rate / bit depth FLAC stereo for example)

However if you are running Android rather than CoreElec/LibreElec Linux distros then you are at the mercy of whatever support the Android fork on your device allows.  Also 192/24bit isn't a universally supported SPDIF standard. I have had AVRs and PC sound cards that DO support it - but it's not a core part of the standard like 48/16 (or 48/20) is.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated October 2019) - tigersky - 2019-12-24

hi folks, can anyone brief about the changes made in official kodi to give us the options of dts and HD audio passthrough in forks like spmc and TVMC in the same android os  in which official kodi requires a proper firmware to give us the same audio capabilities.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated October 2019) - Juno - 2019-12-26

@wrxtasy 
@noggin 

Thank You persons for support. Smile

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated October 2019) - Juno - 2019-12-26

(2019-12-24, 03:34)wrxtasy Wrote: If using Android, UGOOS AM6 will be the only one for Kodi HD Audio and video, auto Refresh Rate support.
Any of UGOOS AM6? I see Pro and 16 GB. I suppose it doesnt matter, but in a world of Android boxes things can happen. Smile

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated October 2019) - antony23 - 2019-12-26

Hi guys, is there any hw capable of passtrough audio on live channel (tvheadend)?
I'm looking a box for this stuff, but with live channels the things are complicated: deinterlacing and audio passtrough.

Any advice?
About audio passtrough it changes something if i connect box directly to A/V unit?

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated October 2019) - wrxtasy - 2019-12-26

(2019-12-26, 22:18)antony23 Wrote: Hi guys, is there any hw capable of passtrough audio on live channel (tvheadend)?
I'm looking a box for this stuff, but with live channels the things are complicated: deinterlacing and audio passtrough.

Any advice?
About audio passtrough it changes something if i connect box directly to A/V unit?

Answer = any of the AMLogic Chipset devices capable of running CoreELEC Kodi.

Personally I use an ODROID N2 - CoreELEC edition for TvH usage, along with a MINIX A2 lite remote.

Then I don't even passthrough 5.1 AC3 audio from Live TV but have it decoded to 5.1 LPCM for more consistent audio volume levels.
You can choose which you prefer with CoreELEC.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated October 2019) - antony23 - 2019-12-27

(2019-12-26, 23:24)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-12-26, 22:18)antony23 Wrote: Hi guys, is there any hw capable of passtrough audio on live channel (tvheadend)?

Any advice?

Personally I use an ODROID N2 - CoreELEC edition for TvH usage, along with a MINIX A2 lite remote.

Then I don't even passthrough 5.1 AC3 audio from Live TV but have it decoded to 5.1 LPCM for more consistent audio volume levels.

Thanks for anwer.
So using coreelec i could pass 5.1 LPCM channels to A/V unit? So when ac3 transcoding is needed? When i connect box to tv hdmi?

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated October 2019) - wrxtasy - 2019-12-27

(2019-12-27, 02:49)antony23 Wrote:
(2019-12-26, 23:24)wrxtasy Wrote:

Any advice?

Thanks for anwer.
So using coreelec i could pass 5.1 LPCM channels to A/V unit? So when ac3 transcoding is needed? When i connect box to tv hdmi?

No transcoding needed.

Quote:You can choose which you prefer with CoreELEC

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated October 2019) - noggin - 2019-12-27

Any advice?

AC3 and E-AC3 passthrough for Live TV was 'officially' disabled a couple of Kodi versions back ISTR - though some forks may have added it back in.  I can't remember the arguments for removing it (set top boxes handle it fine) - @fritsch may be able to.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated October 2019) - tigersky - 2019-12-27

hi friends, regarding IEC 61937 implementation in android os ,  will all amlogic tv boxes running on android nougat firmware have 5.1 and 7.1 HD audio passthrough capabilities as mentioned in the beginning of this thread or still may not be HD audio capable due to broken or semi broken firmware. my h96 mini amlogic android nougat 7.1.2 tv box has NO HD audio options in the KODI audio settings in EXPERT MODE.  I bought it for android nougat HD audio capability as specifically mentioned by WRXTASY. again improper android firmware Huh??.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated October 2019) - antony23 - 2019-12-27

@wrxtasy
@noggin

Hi guys for your answers, but i didn't understand good the audio passtrough stuff on live tv.

In the latest kodi versions it has been disabled means that can only pass LPCM?
In my sony xf9005 android tv (where i have kodi leia installed) connected via hdmi to a/v unit i have to enable ac3 transcoding to have 5.1 detected. Why?

Coreelec is one of that forks that enabled audio passtrough again on live tv?

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated October 2019) - wrxtasy - 2019-12-28

(2019-12-27, 21:57)antony23 Wrote: Coreelec is one of that forks that enabled audio passtrough again on live tv?

Yes CoreELEC re-enabled audio passthrough for Live TV.

I'm not home at the moment , but from memory OSMC on the Vero 4K+ may have re-enabled audio passthrough for Live TV as well.

Android Kodi Forks like MrMC may have as well, not sure.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated October 2019) - Cfgraven - 2019-12-28

Thanks, just received cube x2 today! Big Grin

Just wondering which remotes would you recommend?
the minix a2 lite? any other good options?

Thanks again! Smile