Kodi Community Forum
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) (/showthread.php?tid=252916)

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated January 2020) - jlordon - 2020-01-29

(2020-01-29, 05:09)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-01-29, 04:27)jlordon Wrote: Matricom sells this stick called omnistick https://matricom.net/omnistick-linux-kodi-mini-pc/ which I've been using for the past week. Works pretty good (not for 4k stuff though) but it is super cheap. Works great for Kodi and youtube using the youtube plugin if that's all you're looking for in a box I recommend it. You could always get any cheap box really and load it with Libreelec too.

Whilst that might work fine in your house, and it will have a well sorted version of LibreELEC Kodi running on it - users need be aware it's 2.4GHz WiFi only.

2.4GHz WiFi in this modern era is easily subject to Radio Freq. interference from all sorts of Radio Freq. generating sources.

You really need dual band 2.4/5GHz WiFi for streaming stability.

Devices like the flexible 4GB RAM Mecool KM3 / KM9 pro can dual boot Android TV Pie / CoreELEC and have decent dual band 2.4/5GHz AC WiFi. 
Agreed. Yeah it's only 2.4ghz wifi but it does work surprisingly well. The Mecool MK3 is a MUCH more powerful device and the dual wifi is great if the router is closer. I noticed that the 2.4ghz wifi has a better distance than 5ghz, at least for me. My router is on the first floor and 5ghz works great on the 1st and 2nd floor but any device I use on my 3rd floor bedroom won't connect to the 5ghz, but all of the boxes will connect to 2.4ghz. Haven't had any problems streaming but I can imagine interference could be an issue at some point. My neighborhood has like 100 routers to choose from lol. What's your recommended go-to device at this point?

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated January 2020) - ontap - 2020-02-02

@wrxtasy , I would like your opinion on this device please ? maybe a gimmick, but the speeds and performance recorded during testing look impressive to say the least?
am not sure if am allowed to post links to YT videos on here , so could you take a few minutes to watch the review please , search "Beat the Nvidia Shield with the Choetec 9 in 1 Multiport Adaptor " on YT. OK here is the link I think it is worth a watch https://youtu.be/m0DaP-86lQE

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated January 2020) - V33m - 2020-02-03

HDR10+ is now working on CoreELEC using latest nighly!

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated January 2020) - kpk1 - 2020-02-03

Today was officially launched the Minix U22-XJ with the extended version of the SoC, S922X-J.
The availability on the market is 3/2/2020.
https://theminixforum.com/index.php?threads/minix-neo-u22-xj-official-release-date-monday-2nd-march-2020.2404/#post-17560

START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated January 2020) - lennie paz - 2020-02-04

Where's the safest place to pick up an X2 Cube? Is there anywhere in the US I can order one?

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated January 2020) - sidsilver2 - 2020-02-05

(2020-02-03, 15:38)V33m Wrote: HDR10+ is now working on CoreELEC using latest nighly!

What is nighly?

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated January 2020) - Sholander - 2020-02-05

(2020-02-05, 11:24)sidsilver2 Wrote:
(2020-02-03, 15:38)V33m Wrote: HDR10+ is now working on CoreELEC using latest nighly!

What is nighly? 
Nightly Builds: https://relkai.coreelec.org/

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated January 2020) - Minhmetalhead - 2020-02-06

Hi all. I am looking at buying a Amlogic box preferably S905X2 or S905X3 for CoreELEC. Can someone recommend me some good boxes I can take a look at? I have been looking at different options but still not sure what are some reliable boxes.
My requirements: smooth 4K HDR 10bit playback, auto frame switching, auto resolution switch, Gigabit Ethernet and basically good, stable CoreELEC I don't need android TV. My budget is 50 eur

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated January 2020) - evlo - 2020-02-06

Hmm, I'm going to try Odroid N2 with emmc module now, I tried the s905x3 x96 max+ box and core elec is really not ready for s905x3 as of right now. Hopefully I can still return x96.

smooth 4K HDR 10bit playback, auto frame switching works on x96max+, but lot of other issues

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated January 2020) - Jeffers24 - 2020-02-06

(2020-02-06, 11:35)evlo Wrote: Hmm, I'm going to try Odroid N2 with emmc module now, I tried the s905x3 x96 max+ box and core elec is really not ready for s905x3 as of right now. Hopefully I can still return x96.
Other than the core elec issue, how did you find the X96 Max performance/compatability?

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated January 2020) - evlo - 2020-02-06

(2020-02-06, 11:38)Jeffers24 Wrote:
(2020-02-06, 11:35)evlo Wrote: Hmm, I'm going to try Odroid N2 with emmc module now, I tried the s905x3 x96 max+ box and core elec is really not ready for s905x3 as of right now. Hopefully I can still return x96.
Other than the core elec issue, how did you find the X96 Max performance/compatability?         
CoreElec: Played everything with no issues (unlike samsung q80 native player), also no issues with UI being slow. Even wifi (5g) was fast enough for large bitrate streams. Generally I think HW is sorted, but I don't recommend it.

In default android system it does not work for hdr/10bit colors, 24p switching also does not work.

BTW I did not found a way to enable auto resolution switching in core elec so maybe that works too.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated January 2020) - djnice - 2020-02-06

smooth 4K HDR 10bit playback, auto frame switching works on x96max+, but lot of other issues

What issues? I didn't find any issues.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated January 2020) - gilsonsjc - 2020-02-10

I am a happy Shield TV 2017 owner. I am about to buy the new Shield TV PRO 2019. Are there any known issues with this device? My usage is most 4k HDR .mkv files with Atmos, DTS-X and IMAX Enhanced sound (all supported by the Shield TV 2017 + Kodi). Is there any other Android TV box that can do all that Shield TV Pro 2019 does nowadays? 

Thanks!

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated January 2020) - wrxtasy - 2020-02-10

(2020-02-10, 01:35)gilsonsjc Wrote: I am a happy Shield TV 2017 owner. I am about to buy the new Shield TV PRO 2019. Are there any known issues with this device?

It really depends on which 4K HDR DolbyVision TV you connect it too.

Not all DV TV are created equal - there are certain brands that implement Low Latency DolbyVision that have various problems with DV capable Apps media players like 2019 Shield and Apple TV 4K too. You need to make sure you have a combo that is know to work first.

Ask in the 2019 Shield thread about the specific 4K HDR TV (year, brand & model ) you intend to use would be my advice, because you might strike SDR / HDR colorspace switching problems again.

See Post#1 of this thread and follow the links and read.
Plus visit the 2019 Shield Hotfix thread over on the Nvidia forums, that lists exactly what issues 2019 Shield users are facing and has the latest up to date info.

Quote:My usage is most 4k HDR .mkv files with Atmos, DTS-X and IMAX Enhanced sound (all supported by the Shield TV 2017 + Kodi). Is there any other Android TV box that can do all that Shield TV Pro 2019 does nowadays? 

Thanks!

No nothing in the Android TV OS space.

The ODROID N2 - CoreELEC edition is the go to 4K HDR Kodi Leia - lossless Atmos, DTS-X media player these days.
Hell it even does HDR10+ and HLG HDR.
Anything 1080p it cannot Hardware decode can be SW decoded.

W.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated January 2020) - Mount81 - 2020-02-10

Hi there!

Regarding Odroid N2 and VIM3(L): I'm curious about the Android and the desktop Linux options. What are the available best official(?) and third party options, how usable/stable and snappy are those in general, and in some details:

Android:
Working AFR in some way?
Best Video Player app options?
Proper DLNA and UPNP support for casting apps like Bubble UPNP and Yatse?
Miracast or any other Screen Mirroring option?
Proper Google Play/Store support?
YT apps like Smart YT TV and YT Vanced working as expected?
Stable enough FW for simple and casual (non 3D) games?

Linux:
How usable for desktop PC like purposes?
Internet browsing and YT?

I have seen on the Khadas website they have some Linux options also for the VIM3L version with the S905D3 SOC. But wouldn't be that processor juts too underpowered for running such desktop Linuxes efficiently?

Regarding CoreElec: So how does this SuperScaler function really works and with how good quality results? I have read that you still must use some tricky way to enable it? Couldn't they just integrate simply as a switch in the options? I guess that for FHD and UHD content it would be unnecessary anyway, so why not include an option to activate it only for SD videos? And how does it compare in quality to other upscalers like ATV 4K has? I have read that it's only working up to 30 fps videos, does it include 25fps->50Hz interlaced videos?

Are there/will be any cheaper (but not garbage) analogue stereo audio output module options for N2 and WIM3? And if yes, would they work flawlessly both for Android, Linux and CE?

That's for now that I've suddenly came up with (hope not too much at once Big Grin ), more question maybe later.

Thanks!