Kodi Community Forum
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) (/showthread.php?tid=252916)

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated January 2020) - wrxtasy - 2020-02-10

(2020-02-10, 09:46)Mount81 Wrote: Hi there!

Regarding Odroid N2 and VIM3(L): I'm curious about the Android and the desktop Linux options. What are the available best official(?) and third party options, how usable/stable and snappy are those in general, and in some details:

You really need to spend some time over on the HardKernel (and Khadas forums) forums if you want details of ODROID N2 / VIM3 images available and functionality that have really nothing to do with Kodi.

ODROID-N2 Forum (click)

I can answer N2 specifically:

Quote:Android:
Working AFR in some way?

No you have to use a AFRD helper App, see this https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229310&pid=2891405#pid2891405

AML chipsets running Android Oreo 8.1 or greater ---> Android Kodi audio is limited to 2.0 PCM, 5.1 DD/DD+ DTS, DTS-HD HRA (v. rare).
There is No other Android HD audio support.

Quote:Best Video Player app options?
App, meaning Android, MrMC works pretty well as does Kodi.

Quote:Proper DLNA and UPNP support for casting apps like Bubble UPNP and Yatse?
If Kodi supports it I see cannot see why it will not work.

Quote:Miracast or any other Screen Mirroring option?
Probably a 3rd party App needed.

Quote:Proper Google Play/Store support?
There are options and images for all that.

Quote:YT apps like Smart YT TV and YT Vanced working as expected?
SmartYouTube works, no idea what Vanced is.

Quote:Stable enough FW for simple and casual (non 3D) games?
Linux:
How usable for desktop PC like purposes?
Internet browsing and YT?
See HardKernel forums for specifics like Hardware acceleration within Linux desktop.
I suggest S922X / A311D chipsets only if doing Linux desktop duties. 4GB RAM too.

Quote:Regarding CoreELEC: So how does this SuperScaler function really works and with how good quality results?
I use CoreELEC Kodi and leave SS off (default setting). It can be easily re-enabled if you want to play around.

This is because CE Kodi does auto Resolution Switching anyway to enable my 4K TV to upscale all non 4K content, including Kodi's 1080p GUI.

My 4K HDR 2019 Panasonic OLED has excellent AI Super Resolution upscaling that is better vs any cheap media player.

The one thing I have noticed is N2 Anti-aliasing is slightly better vs the Apple TV 4K. Both have good quality upscaling.
AML chipsets that include - G series ARM GPU's have excellent quality hardware deinterlacing (CoreELEC)

The ODROID N2 can dual boot via it's Petitboot functionality too. Triple boot might even be possible.

You could have an Android image on fast eMMC and then a Linux Desktop on USB3 SSD , plus CoreELEC on a USB3 stick:

Petitboot (click)

In the end the Overarching thing is great N2 - aftermarket support by both the vendor and community driven 3rd parties.
That leaves you with a lot of Flexibility to do what you want.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated January 2020) - gilsonsjc - 2020-02-10

(2020-02-10, 08:44)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-02-10, 01:35)gilsonsjc Wrote: I am a happy Shield TV 2017 owner. I am about to buy the new Shield TV PRO 2019. Are there any known issues with this device?

It really depends on which 4K HDR DolbyVision TV you connect it too. 

I am using a Samsung Qled Series 6 2019
(2020-02-10, 08:44)wrxtasy Wrote: Not all DV TV are created equal - there are certain brands that implement Low Latency DolbyVision that have various problems with DV capable Apps media players like 2019 Shield and Apple TV 4K too. You need to make sure you have a combo that is know to work first.

Ask in the 2019 Shield thread about the specific 4K HDR TV (year, brand & model ) you intend to use would be my advice, because you might strike SDR / HDR colorspace switching problems again.

See Post#1 of this thread and follow the links and read.
Plus visit the 2019 Shield Hotfix thread over on the Nvidia forums, that lists exactly what issues 2019 Shield users are facing and has the latest up to date info.

I'll do it, thanks!
Quote:My usage is most 4k HDR .mkv files with Atmos, DTS-X and IMAX Enhanced sound (all supported by the Shield TV 2017 + Kodi). Is there any other Android TV box that can do all that Shield TV Pro 2019 does nowadays? 

Thanks!

No nothing in the Android TV OS space.

The ODROID N2 - CoreELEC edition is the go to 4K HDR Kodi Leia - lossless Atmos, DTS-X media player these days.
Hell it even does HDR10+ and HLG HDR.
Anything 1080p it cannot Hardware decode can be SW decoded. 

It seems it only seems the board. Is there a topic here that shows how to build one with a enclosure box and remote? Does it also run DV? It is a bit pricey!

START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated January 2020) - lennie paz - 2020-02-10

What's the cheapest solution for a box with gigabit LAN, that will play 4k HDR? I'm looking for a second box in my TV room, and I don't want to spend $150 on another Shield TV. I have a media room in my basement with a Shield, so I don't need anything fancy in my upstairs TV room. I have Kodi installed directly on the Sony TV, but it won't handle my full 4k rips that I try to stream from my PC. If there's a box that can stream those big rips over WiFi, I do have the wireless router sitting right next to the Sony TV. I'm not sure if there's any WiFi that can handle a 50gb 4k rip though. I have gigabit internet through Comcast.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated January 2020) - djnice - 2020-02-10

(2020-02-10, 15:41)lennie paz Wrote: What's the cheapest solution for a box with gigabit LAN, that will play 4k HDR? I'm looking for a second box in my TV room, and I don't want to spend $150 on another Shield TV. I have a media room in my basement with a Shield, so I don't need anything fancy in my upstairs TV room. I have Kodi installed directly on the Sony TV, but it won't handle my full 4k rips that I try to stream from my PC. If there's a box that can stream those big rips over WiFi, I do have the wireless router sitting right next to the Sony TV. I'm not sure if there's any WiFi that can handle a 50gb 4k rip though. I have gigabit internet through Comcast.

X96 Max+ 4/32 + CoreELEC (about $35)

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated January 2020) - wrxtasy - 2020-02-10

(2020-02-10, 13:55)gilsonsjc Wrote:
(2020-02-10, 01:35)gilsonsjc Wrote: I am a happy Shield TV 2017 owner. I am about to buy the new Shield TV PRO 2019. Are there any known issues with this device?

It really depends on which 4K HDR DolbyVision TV you connect it too. 

I am using a Samsung Qled Series 6 2019
(2020-02-10, 08:44)wrxtasy Wrote: Not all DV TV are created equal - there are certain brands that implement Low Latency DolbyVision that have various problems with DV capable Apps media players like 2019 Shield and Apple TV 4K too. You need to make sure you have a combo that is know to work first.

Ask in the 2019 Shield thread about the specific 4K HDR TV (year, brand & model ) you intend to use would be my advice, because you might strike SDR / HDR colorspace switching problems again.

See Post#1 of this thread and follow the links and read.
Plus visit the 2019 Shield Hotfix thread over on the Nvidia forums, that lists exactly what issues 2019 Shield users are facing and has the latest up to date info.

I'll do it, thanks!
Quote:My usage is most 4k HDR .mkv files with Atmos, DTS-X and IMAX Enhanced sound (all supported by the Shield TV 2017 + Kodi). Is there any other Android TV box that can do all that Shield TV Pro 2019 does nowadays? 

Thanks!

No nothing in the Android TV OS space.

The ODROID N2 - CoreELEC edition is the go to 4K HDR Kodi Leia - lossless Atmos, DTS-X media player these days.
Hell it even does HDR10+ and HLG HDR.
Anything 1080p it cannot Hardware decode can be SW decoded. 

It seems it only seems the board. Is there a topic here that shows how to build one with a enclosure box and remote? Does it also run DV? It is a bit pricey!

The ODROID N2 CoreELEC Kodi edition is Plug n Play. It comes with everything but a remote.
See the YouTube video in this https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=340809

And for remote control purposes a whole lot of us use a Wireless, Plug n Play MINIX A2 lite, that also has its own keyboard.
Which ends up being real handy for Kodi long term usage.

I have read as well, you have a Samsung QLED. I’m sure you are aware, No Samsung TV supports DolbyVision at all, HDR10+ is the best you will get from Samsung.

Also the 2019 Samsung Series 6 Q60R already has very good AI upscaling of non 4K content:
https://www.samsung.com/sg/tvs/qled-tv/technology/

All you need to do is setup your 2017 Shield to have Kodi auto resolution switch when watching non 4K content, and your TV can then use its Superior AI upscaling, which will have no limitations vs a 2019 Shield.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated January 2020) - lennie paz - 2020-02-10

(2020-02-10, 16:25)djnice Wrote:
(2020-02-10, 15:41)lennie paz Wrote: What's the cheapest solution for a box with gigabit LAN, that will play 4k HDR? I'm looking for a second box in my TV room, and I don't want to spend $150 on another Shield TV. I have a media room in my basement with a Shield, so I don't need anything fancy in my upstairs TV room. I have Kodi installed directly on the Sony TV, but it won't handle my full 4k rips that I try to stream from my PC. If there's a box that can stream those big rips over WiFi, I do have the wireless router sitting right next to the Sony TV. I'm not sure if there's any WiFi that can handle a 50gb 4k rip though. I have gigabit internet through Comcast.

Where's the best place to pick one up?

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated January 2020) - djnice - 2020-02-11

(2020-02-10, 19:51)lennie paz Wrote:

Where's the best place to pick one up? 
Aliexpress.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated January 2020) - wdfwguy - 2020-02-11

I just upgraded to AT&T 1gb fiber internet, so I'd like to upgrade from my old Mi Box to something with an ethernet input

I don't game, so it'll really only be used for Kodi

Suggestions?

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated January 2020) - wrxtasy - 2020-02-11

(2020-02-11, 09:10)wdfwguy Wrote: I just upgraded to AT&T 1gb fiber internet, so I'd like to upgrade from my old Mi Box to something with an ethernet input

Suggestions?

Price ?

Plug n Play or minor DIY ?

Audio required 2.0, 5.1 Dolby Digital, DTS etc

Video required 1080p only, 4K, HDR etc ?

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated January 2020) - evlo - 2020-02-11

Is there any difference between vim3/3l/n2 in respect of issues with playback/sound on seeking/restarts/cec wakeup (I'm ok with box never going to sleep if it consumes 2w or something like that in idle) etc. on core elec?

I was convinced to buy N2 coreelec bundle + emmc, but seeing I would still need separate wifi I did not buy it jet and I wonder if vim3 is the way

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated January 2020) - altrey - 2020-02-11

(2020-02-11, 14:53)evlo Wrote: Is there any difference between vim3/3l/n2 in respect of issues with playback/sound on seeking/restarts/cec wakeup (I'm ok with box never going to sleep if it consumes 2w or something like that in idle) etc. on core elec?

I was convinced to buy N2 coreelec bundel + emmc, but seeing I would still need separate wifi I did not buy it jet and I wonder if vim3 is the way
Hi

Around 2 weeks ago I bought n2 4GB + 16GB emmc + wifi USB (for around £5) and Im extremely happy with it. Runing CoreElec (9.2.1) while playing 4K HDR with Atmos (passthrough enabled) is using around 600MB of RAM and 30% of one CPU core and temperatures of CPU and GPU were at 37.

No issue while restarting or seeking. I only use wife for ssh to it for updates.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated January 2020) - lennie paz - 2020-02-11

So I disconnected the Ethernet from my Sony TV, and connected using WiFi. I have no idea why that worked, but I can now stream all my 1:1 4k rips to the Sony, using Kodi, with no problem at all. When hard wired, I had all kinds of buffering issues.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated January 2020) - wdfwguy - 2020-02-11

(2020-02-11, 11:18)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-02-11, 09:10)wdfwguy Wrote: I just upgraded to AT&T 1gb fiber internet, so I'd like to upgrade from my old Mi Box to something with an ethernet input

Suggestions?

Price ?

Thanks for the response!

Definitely plug-n-play, I suppose <$100 is my budget

We don't have a surround sound system, and I think 1080p is fine.  Frankly, I'd be ok with the Mi Box and Fire Stick we have, I just want the faster streaming from the wired connection.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated January 2020) - wrxtasy - 2020-02-12

(2020-02-11, 23:59)wdfwguy Wrote:
(2020-02-11, 11:18)wrxtasy Wrote:

Suggestions?

Price ?

Thanks for the response!

We don't have a surround sound system, and I think 1080p is fine.  Frankly, I'd be ok with the Mi Box and Fire Stick we have, I just want the faster streaming from the wired connection.

Ugreen USB3 > Gigabit [1000M] Ethernet Hub (click)

Some even come with an external power option for multiple USB 2.5” Hard drive connections.

Otherwise get something like Gigabit LAN - Ugoos X2 Cube and a Class 10 microSDHC to run CoreELEC on.

Honestly Plug n Play, below $100 the ODROID N2 - CoreELEC edition is the best option.
See links in this https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=340809

Ameridroid have ‘em for $67 at the moment.

You would even have $$ left over for a fast 16GB eMMC module. Android / Linux - does not matter.

Most of us use a MINIX A2 lite remote with CoreELEC if you want Plug n Play. There is a mildly updated version of that too with Backlit keys.
Otherwise with most TV’s - HDMI CEC also works as well with the TV’s remote.

W.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated January 2020) - wdfwguy - 2020-02-12

(2020-02-12, 03:21)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-02-11, 23:59)wdfwguy Wrote:
(2020-02-11, 11:18)wrxtasy Wrote: Price ?

Thanks for the response!

Ugreen USB3 > Gigabit [1000M] Ethernet Hub (click)

Some even come with an external power option for multiple USB 2.5” Hard drive connections.

Otherwise get something like Gigabit LAN - Ugoos X2 Cube and a Class 10 microSDHC to run CoreELEC on.

Honestly Plug n Play, below $100 the ODROID N2 - CoreELEC edition is the best option.
See links in this https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=340809

Ameridroid have ‘em for $67 at the moment.

You would even have $$ left over for a fast 16GB eMMC module. Android / Linux - does not matter.

Most of us use a MINIX A2 lite remote with CoreELEC if you want Plug n Play. There is a mildly updated version of that too with Backlit keys.
Otherwise with most TV’s - HDMI CEC also works as well with the TV’s remote.

W. 

Thanks a ton!  I'll check out both of those links.

Unfortunately, I feel like I just fell into the deep end of the pool.  About 80% of that was over my head.  lol