Kodi Community Forum
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) (/showthread.php?tid=252916)

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated March 2020) - therippa - 2020-04-11

I ended up going with the Odroid N2.  Had it set up in a half hour (although the on-board IR wasn't working with CoreElec, had to use the MCE dongle from my HTPC), and I can't believe how well everything just "works".

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated January 2020) - lightsout - 2020-04-14

(2020-03-04, 18:18)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-03-04, 17:46)evlo Wrote: Do you know if there is soon to be have N2 core elec sale for around 75 usd it was until about 3 days ago?

Otherwise look at quality Gigabit LAN (1000M) - Ugoos products for CE Kodi like the cheaper S905X2 / S905X3 - Ugoos X2 / X3 Cube 
Hey I am curious about these two devices. I am looking for a secondary box for a bedroom. Want it to do 4k/hdr but also need analog audio because I want to use it for music to a small amp.

I have an N2 that I love, but with the price creep and seeing that they are often out of stock, I am intrigued by all these cheaper options.

Curious about the X2 if you know much about it.
1. Will the performance for local playback in coreelec be similar to the N2?
2. Can it dual boot android and coreelec?

Thanks for your time.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated January 2020) - Juno - 2020-04-14

(2020-04-14, 00:02)lightsout Wrote: 2. Can it dual boot android and coreelec?

Thanks for your time. 

Even better. Ugoos released real dualboot for X2/X3 devices. It has dualboot Android and CE on eMMC.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated January 2020) - Sholander - 2020-04-14

(2020-04-14, 00:02)lightsout Wrote: I have an N2 that I love, but with the price creep and seeing that they are often out of stock, I am intrigued by all these cheaper options.

If you are not in a hurry, there is a new SBC coming out from Hardkernel - Odroid C4. I think that it has an S905X3 SoC, and will be cheaper than N2.
New CoreElec stable version 9.2.2 already supports this device...

START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated March 2020) - lightsout - 2020-04-14

(2020-04-14, 14:59)Sholander Wrote:
(2020-04-14, 00:02)lightsout Wrote: I have an N2 that I love, but with the price creep and seeing that they are often out of stock, I am intrigued by all these cheaper options.

If you are not in a hurry, there is a new SBC coming out from Hardkernel - Odroid C4. I think that it has an S905X3 SoC, and will be cheaper than N2.
New CoreElec stable version 9.2.2 already supports this device...

Oh sweet I'm not in a hurry. Thanks a lot I hadn't seen that one yet I'll look into it.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated January 2020) - lightsout - 2020-04-14

(2020-04-14, 11:06)Juno Wrote:

Thanks for your time. 

Even better. Ugoos released real dualboot for X2/X3 devices. It has dualboot Android and CE on eMMC. 
Got a link, are you talking about a specific device or a firmware update? I would like the cheaper X2 seems like it will be enough
but they seem harder to find.

Any of these with Android TV, I can't really appreciate standard android on a TV.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated January 2020) - FXB78 - 2020-04-14

(2020-04-14, 20:49)lightsout Wrote:
(2020-04-14, 11:06)Juno Wrote:

Thanks for your time. 

Got a link, are you talking about a specific device or a firmware update? I would like the cheaper X2 seems like it will be enough

Any of these with Android TV, I can't really appreciate standard android on a TV.  
https://forum.freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s905x2/firmware-roms-tools-do/779470-rom-ugoos-x2-cube-play-and-pro-atv_by_sasvlad-androidtv-9-0

I use the dual-boot with CoreELEC, works very well. There is an option in the Power Menu to boot to Android and vice-versa. I believe the Android version is Android TV although I've never used it.

(2020-04-14, 21:03)FXB78 Wrote:
(2020-04-14, 20:49)lightsout Wrote:
(2020-04-14, 11:06)Juno Wrote: Even better. Ugoos released real dualboot for X2/X3 devices. It has dualboot Android and CE on eMMC.   

https://forum.freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s905x2/firmware-roms-tools-do/779470-rom-ugoos-x2-cube-play-and-pro-atv_by_sasvlad-androidtv-9-0

I use the dual-boot with CoreELEC, works very well. There is an option in the Power Menu to boot to Android and vice-versa. I believe the Android version is Android TV although I've never used it. 
Dang that looks pretty sweet, haven't done any rom flashing since my Nexus 6. Brings back some good memories, bookmarked thank you.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated March 2020) - horstepipe - 2020-04-15

hello fellows,
can anybody compare the Kodi performance of the Beelink GT-King with the Beelink GT1-Mini 2?
I'm happy with the GT-King, wondering if the GT1 Mini 2 will perform roughly the same (S922X vs S905X3), as it is 20 bucks cheaper.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated March 2020) - clarkss12 - 2020-04-15

(2020-04-15, 13:11)horstepipe Wrote: hello fellows,
can anybody compare the Kodi performance of the Beelink GT-King with the Beelink GT1-Mini 2?
I'm happy with the GT-King, wondering if the GT1 Mini 2 will perform roughly the same (S922X vs S905X3), as it is 20 bucks cheaper.

I have both, how would you compare?  I dual boot both of them and both of them play Netflix in 1080p.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated March 2020) - emvoo - 2020-04-15

Hello everyone!

Im not sure this the right place to ask but... Im thinking of getting one those Android/linux/dual boot devices, probably Odroid n2 to connect all my hard drives and play movies through the soundbar (which is probably going to be JBL BAR 9.1 atmos) connected through eARC to my Sony Bravia Android TV. As you probably noticed the soundbar supports ATMOS and has 9.1 (7.1.4?) channels. What makes me wonder is if any of those kodi devices support 9.1 ATMOS and if so which ones? Also Ive not seen many (if at all) 9.1 (7.1.4) movies with ATMOS sound. And cant really figure out if its going to be working at all and if it will Id like to understand how?
Thanks in advance

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated March 2020) - wrxtasy - 2020-04-16

(2020-04-15, 19:06)emvoo Wrote: Hello everyone!
(which is probably going to be JBL BAR 9.1 atmos) connected through eARC to my Sony Bravia Android TV.

Why would you do that with unproven eARC technology ?

The most reliable, proven (and tidy) way to setup audio is buy an audio receiver, with multiple HDMI input connections - ones that are 4K@60Hz DolbyVision + HLG HDR - video passthru - capable and then connect....

4K HDR Media Player > Audio Receiver < HDMI (e)ARC > 4K HDR TV.

You do not get HD audio out of Apps running on any Smart TV anyway, even TV's that are already eARC capable.
Lossy DD+/Atmos from Smart TV Apps like Netflix etc is perfectly capable of transport over regular HDMI ARC

eARC and also HDMI 2.1 will come into it's own for 4:4:4 Chroma 4K@60Hz or greater HDR PC and next gen. console gaming, where you can passthru lossless > 2.0 Multichannel PCM audio thru an eARC TV.

The other point to make is you want an audio receiver that supports basically everything if you want to do it properly:
Dolby Digital, DD+, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD MA, DTS-HD HRA, 8 channel LPCM + if possible Dolby Atmos and DTS:X

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated March 2020) - noggin - 2020-04-16

(2020-04-16, 10:38)wrxtasy Wrote:
(which is probably going to be JBL BAR 9.1 atmos) connected through eARC to my Sony Bravia Android TV.

The most reliable, proven (and tidy) way to setup audio is buy an audio receiver, with multiple HDMI input connections - ones that are 4K@60Hz DolbyVision + HLG HDR - video passthru - capable and then connect....

You do not get HD audio out of Apps running on any Smart TV anyway, even TV's that are already eARC capable.
Lossy DD+/Atmos from Smart TV Apps like Netflix etc is perfectly capable of transport over regular HDMI ARC

eARC and also HDMI 2.1 will come into it's own for 4:4:4 Chroma 4K@60Hz or greater HDR PC and next gen. console gaming, where you can passthru lossless > 2.0 Multichannel PCM audio thru an eARC TV.

The other point to make is you want an audio receiver that supports basically everything if you want to do it properly:
Dolby Digital, DD+, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD MA, DTS-HD HRA, 8 channel LPCM + if possible Dolby Atmos and DTS:X 

Not everyone wants an AVR + Separate speakers @wrxtasy - some prefer sound bars, and most modern sound bars use ARC or eARC?

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated March 2020) - wrxtasy - 2020-04-16

(2020-04-16, 10:42)noggin Wrote:
(2020-04-16, 10:38)wrxtasy Wrote:

Not everyone wants an AVR + Separate speakers @wrxtasy - some prefer sound bars, and most modern sound bars use ARC or eARC?

Audio receiver = AVR or Soundbar.

As an example, my Yamaha YSP-2700 Soundbar does 4K@60Hz DolbyVision + HLG HDR - video passthru and...
Dolby Digital, DD+, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD MA, DTS-HD HRA, 8 channel LPCM

Dolby Atmos on Soundbars = Mass marketed Gimmick IMHO. Sad

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated March 2020) - noggin - 2020-04-16

(2020-04-16, 11:49)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-04-16, 10:42)noggin Wrote:
(2020-04-16, 10:38)wrxtasy Wrote: Why would you do that with unproven eARC technology ?

Audio receiver = AVR or Soundbar.

As an example, my Yamaha YSP-2700 Soundbar does 4K@60Hz DolbyVision + HLG HDR - video passthru and...
Dolby Digital, DD+, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD MA, DTS-HD HRA, 8 channel LPCM

Dolby Atmos on Soundbars = Mass marketed Gimmick IMHO. Sad 

Ah - I've never thought of a sound bar as an Audio Receiver as they seldom have Radio tuner functionality (the Receiver in Audio Receiver)