Kodi Community Forum
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) (/showthread.php?tid=252916)

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated November 2020) - meccs - 2020-12-03

(2020-11-24, 13:22)noggin Wrote:
(2020-11-20, 19:00)meccs Wrote: Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen seems to be recommended here after the Shield but it doesn't have a real Ethernet port and instead uses a USB adapter which I assume only supports 100 Mbit? This seems really low for high bitrate stuff.

You can get >300Mbs using a Gigibit Ethernet USB 3.0 adaptor in USB 2.0 mode on a Fire TV.  (That solution is used on a lot of USB 2.0 devices that only have 100Mbs built in Ethernet too). However the 'official' Ethernet adaptor may be limited to 100Mbs.  Those of us with USB 3.0 Gigabit models use Micro USB OTG adaptors like these https://www.amazon.co.uk/AuviPal-Adapter-Degree-Angled-Charging/dp/B07TX8FY6W/ to passthrough the Micro USB power and tee-off a USB A connection to allow USB Storage, hubs or GigE adaptors to be used.
Thank you. Since the Cube has a dedicated power connector the Micro USB port isn't used. Does this mean I could just buy one of these USB 3.0 to Ethernet adapters and a USB to Micro USB adapter and that would work?
Edit: Maybe that isn't the right thread to ask this. I am sorry.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated November 2020) - solamnic - 2020-12-04

(2020-12-03, 07:21)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-12-02, 21:50)solamnic Wrote: With the new Lotr coming to UHD... 

Apple TV 4K does not support (yet i hope Smile )  DV Profile 7...

Is there a player that actually supports this format?

There some experimental support it seems with the Amazon FireTV Stick 4K & 2019 Nvidia Shield, but you have to do self research over on the MakeMKV (click) and Plex (click) forums

However - 2019 Shield owners still face an unresolved - Wrong colours in Dolby Vision (click) - issue playing back such content.
Thank you for your answer... it seems that no player is yet capable to play DV profile 7 yet... (lets hope that AppleTV wil do with next fw update Smile ) ...

START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated November 2020) - hoppel118 - 2020-12-04

(2020-12-04, 00:06)solamnic Wrote: it seems that no player is yet capable to play DV profile 7 yet... (lets hope that AppleTV wil do with next fw update Smile ) ...

There is already a modified exoplayer with which you can test Dolby Vision in combination with Kodi, if you have an nvidia Shield tv 2019 pro. Emby and Plex also work on solutions. I consolidated the relevant information in the following post. This solution is unsupported, but works for me and other guys:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=345359&pid=2975374#pid2975374

Regards Hoppel

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated November 2020) - WeldSpark - 2020-12-09

Is Chromecast Android TV still a no go?

I want a Android TV box, but I don't want to pay for another Nvidia shield. I have two friends who has Mi Boxes and they are very buggy.

In Europe, what budget friendly Android Box that are officially certified? I also want chromecast built in and I know Fire TV is very budget friendly, but I want a "real" android box.

Thanks!

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated November 2020) - WeldSpark - 2020-12-11

(2020-12-09, 17:46)WeldSpark Wrote: Is Chromecast Android TV still a no go?

I want a Android TV box, but I don't want to pay for another Nvidia shield. I have two friends who has Mi Boxes and they are very buggy.

In Europe, what budget friendly Android Box that are officially certified? I also want chromecast built in and I know Fire TV is very budget friendly, but I want a "real" android box.

Thanks!

I try again, but shortened a bit, took EU out of the picture.

Is Chromecast Android TV still a no go?

What is the best budget friendly android certified box? With good support with firmware updates? Except for Fire TV and Mi Boxes?

Thanks!

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated November 2020) - wrxtasy - 2020-12-11

(2020-12-09, 17:46)WeldSpark Wrote: Is Chromecast Android TV still a no go?

Thanks!

We really do not know what you will use such devices for, so I will point out some positives and negatives:

Xiaomi Mi Box:

+ has a USB port and no issues with NTFS formatted hard drives.
+ has Kodi auto Frame Rate Matching for smooth video playback.
+ still gets ongoing Firmware support.
- Bluetooth remote very sensitive to 2.4GHz Radio Freq interference, need to be moved away from other Electrical devices if there are problems.
- HDMI CEC really needs to be turned off or it will very likely cause issues.
- No HDR for Amazon Prime Video
- using a pretty old 2016 era chipset

2020 Google Chromecast / Android TV dongle:

+ AMLogic chipset two generation ahead of the Mi Box = everything is faster, it's a bit faster vs other budget Android streamers (click)
+ a better remote
+ the new Google TV interface makes content discovery faster
- A bunch of users are now discovering CCGTV Network Stability and WiFi problems (click)
- which Google have not made a priority fixing it seems
- no USB2/3 port, and even then no NTFS USB storage support
- USB Hubs / Ethernet adapters comparatively expensive, and then you can also run into power issues. It really is a Network streaming device only.
- No Auto Frame Rate Matching at all for anything, which the Mi Boxes and Amazon Fire TV, streaming devices have for some Apps ...

On a tight budget, what would I buy for Apps streaming only (and Kodi) ?

Either a Amazon Stick 4K or for 1080p only, the newer 2020 Amazon Fire TV Stick 3:

+ auto Frame Rate Matching for Kodi, Prime Video, Plex, SmartYouTube....
+ about the best, easiest to use, reliable Wireless remote in the business
+ the fastest and most reliable AC MIMO WiFi around in a streaming device.
+ Amazon are continually supporting FireTV Firmware on their devices.
+ Bang for the buck is the best on the market
+ The 2020 Fire TV Stick Lite and the Stick 3 are currently getting a new, clean looking FireOS - Graphic User Interface (click)
- no Chromecasting, but YouTube can be "cast" to FireTV devices.
- USB Hub / dongle needed if you want FAT32 only USB storage support (same limitations as CCGTV dongle)

W.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated November 2020) - DrManhattan - 2020-12-11

Hello, I am thinking of buying Ugoos AM6 Plus
I would like to know how a android box would work with local hard drive storage, do you have to eject/Safely remove a local hard drives before turning off the android kodi box?
Is this the same process when booting to CoreELEC?

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated November 2020) - bubblegum57 - 2020-12-12

(2020-12-11, 23:05)DrManhattan Wrote: Hello, I am thinking of buying Ugoos AM6 Plus
I would like to know how a android box would work with local hard drive storage, do you have to eject/Safely remove a local hard drives before turning off the android kodi box?
Is this the same process when booting to CoreELEC?

not sure if you have read this Ugoos AM6 Plus - Help & Support / Installation & Booting - CoreELEC Forums

For those of you that are running CoreELEC on a MX96 Max+, how good is it working? - RKCRLR - 2020-12-21

I'm thinking of replacing my dedicated Tvheadend backend (S905W running CoreELEC) wiith a X96 Max+ (4/32 version).  My S905 box sometimes buffers when making multiple recordings while I'm watching something.  It also doesn't recover gracefully if there is a hiccup in the OTA signal.  

For those of you that are running CoreELEC on a MX96 Max+, how good is it working?  
My main criteria is to have a stable Tvheadend server.

RE: For those of you that are running CoreELEC on a MX96 Max+, how good is it working? - bubblegum57 - 2020-12-21

(2020-12-21, 19:11)RKCRLR Wrote: I'm thinking of replacing my dedicated Tvheadend backend (S905W running CoreELEC) wiith a X96 Max+ (4/32 version).  My S905 box sometimes buffers when making multiple recordings while I'm watching something.  It also doesn't recover gracefully if there is a hiccup in the OTA signal.  

For those of you that are running CoreELEC on a MX96 Max+, how good is it working?  

I think the main problem with tv playback is either the tv signal or if using a network tuner (hdhomerun) the network. I think if you are trying multiple recordings, you are expecting a lot. A TV signal amplifier might be more use.

RE: For those of you that are running CoreELEC on a MX96 Max+, how good is it working? - RKCRLR - 2020-12-21

(2020-12-21, 21:13)bubblegum57 Wrote:
(2020-12-21, 19:11)RKCRLR Wrote: I'm thinking of replacing my dedicated Tvheadend backend (S905W running CoreELEC) wiith a X96 Max+ (4/32 version).  My S905 box sometimes buffers when making multiple recordings while I'm watching something.  It also doesn't recover gracefully if there is a hiccup in the OTA signal.  

I think the main problem with tv playback is either the tv signal or if using a network tuner (hdhomerun) the network. I think if you are trying multiple recordings, you are expecting a lot. A TV signal amplifier might be more use.
I already have a signal amplifier.  I'm in a fringe reception area.  Most of the time I have a very strong signal and good SNR.  But atmospheric conditions sometimes impact the signal.  I can watch it drop like a rock and then come back a few minutes later (likely multipath problems). 

I sometimes have buffering problems even when I have good reception.  I'm hoping a more powerful processor and Gigabit ethernet will help (my box has been troublesome so it may be the box itself).  I'm using a HDHomerun Quatro so the tuner may be saturating the 100M lan on the S905W box when it is making multiple recordings while I'm watching TV.  

Is it reasonable to expect to be able to make multiple recordings while watching TV?

RE: For those of you that are running CoreELEC on a MX96 Max+, how good is it working? - bubblegum57 - 2020-12-21

(2020-12-21, 21:39)RKCRLR Wrote:
(2020-12-21, 21:13)bubblegum57 Wrote:

I already have a signal amplifier.  I'm in a fringe reception area.  Most of the time I have a very strong signal and good SNR.  But atmospheric conditions sometimes impact the signal.  I can watch it drop like a rock and then come back a few minutes later (likely multipath problems). 

I sometimes have buffering problems even when I have good reception.  I'm hoping a more powerful processor and Gigabit ethernet will help (my box has been troublesome so it may be the box itself).  I'm using a HDHomerun Quatro so the tuner may be saturating the 100M lan on the S905W box when it is making multiple recordings while I'm watching TV.  

Is it reasonable to expect to be able to make multiple recordings while watching TV?
the only way to know for sure is buy a X96 max+ & try it. perhaps you could run two recordings on each device?

RE: For those of you that are running CoreELEC on a MX96 Max+, how good is it working? - RKCRLR - 2020-12-21

(2020-12-21, 21:42)bubblegum57 Wrote:
(2020-12-21, 21:39)RKCRLR Wrote:
(2020-12-21, 21:13)bubblegum57 Wrote: I think the main problem with tv playback is either the tv signal or if using a network tuner (hdhomerun) the network. I think if you are trying multiple recordings, you are expecting a lot. A TV signal amplifier might be more use.

the only way to know for sure is buy a X96 max+ & try it. perhaps you could run two recordings on each device?

I don't think multiple Tvheadend servers would work since I record directly to a USB hard drive.  I'm also hoping a USB 3.0 port will help since my hard drive supports USB 3.0.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - tigersky - 2020-12-22

Hi all, kodi wiki explains about the various settings, but is there any site detailing about device or hardware or OS specific recommended kodi settings for a complete setup such as for odroid n2, one of the top recommended kodi device. Thanks.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - wrxtasy - 2020-12-22

(2020-12-22, 10:04)tigersky Wrote: Hi all, kodi wiki explains about the various settings, but is there any site detailing about device or hardware or OS specific recommended kodi settings for a complete setup such as for odroid n2, one of the top recommended kodi device. Thanks.

Hi, You can find some basic tips over in this POST (click)

All other setup and support is found over on the CoreELEC Forums (click)

W.