Kodi Community Forum
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) (/showthread.php?tid=252916)

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - tmihai20 - 2021-01-18

(2021-01-08, 02:49)jimmcy Wrote: Hello;

I'm thinking of buying the ODROID-N2+ 4GB CoreELEC Edition.

Is there a "out of the box" remote whit keyboard that will work with it?

I currently have a minix u1 and is remote, will this remote (the one for minix u1) work with the odroid?

Thank you all.
I am using an oDroid N2, not N2+ and I also wanted a remote for it, but it became obsolete because CoreElec on oDroid N2/N2+ has HDMI CEC integration, meaning you can use the remote of the TV to navigate in Kodi running on N2. I think HDMI CEC is enabled by default. Any other remote with keyboard would probably need a separate adapter. I have personally tested THIS REMOTE with voice control (version G30 with Gyro) and I have ANOTHER in my wishlist. If Minux U1 remote has Bluetooth, it might work with N2/N2+ if you buy the separate BT adapter (it does not have BT or WiFi by default). Test the remote you already have and see how well it works, but don't forget to buy the BT adapter as well.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - putuco - 2021-01-21

Hello, first of all I want to thank the Kodi developers for all the great work you do. Big Kudos to you!

Now I would like to ask for some advice on a new media player which suit my needs. I currently have the Firestick 4K (great device but I cannot get HD Audio Passthrough with Bluray rips, specifically 7.1 Atmos) and also the Mi Box S with Android 9 (terrible about passtrhough, just PCM no matter what lol). I have a 4K LG TV and an Onkyo TX-NR545 receiver with Atmos Support.

So my needs are:

- Play my ripped DVDs with PCM/DD/MP3 or whatever sound it has (audio passthrough to the receiver)
- 4K playback with HDR (streaming apps and rips).
- Play Bluray rips with HD Audio Passthrough (with the Firestick I can get Atmos from Netflix addon at Kodi and from Prime Video app without problems). However I cannot get the HD Audio from rips. This is possible with a Lenovo NUC I have, which passes the audio flawlessly with VLC)
- Streaming apps certified if possible (Netflix, Prime and maybe Disney+)
- Gigabit ethernet is desirable, however I can stream 50GB MKV files without too much problem with Kodi.
- USB 3.0 port if possible
- If this can be done with Android TV SO, it would be great but not a must

I know that the Nvidia Shield ticks most if not all of these boxes, but I want to know if there are more options in a budget for my needs. I really appreciate your advice and time to respond. Thanks for the attention

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - solamnic - 2021-01-22

Hellos...

Time to buy a new player Wink

I need to play 4k HDR content, HD Audio passthrough etc etc...

I now own an Apple TV 4K ... (infuse is really great Smile .. MrMC hasnt been updated for a looooong time .. too bad and its skins are really not that great) to playback 4k HDR content and to watch Netflix and 
an I3 Nuc (5 years old) (Libreelec) where i watch all my other movies (fully customized with my favorite skin (Aeon Nox), fanarts etc...)

The thing is that i will buy a new Player for my villa.

i dont want to buy an apple tv because i really want to be able to customize kodi skin, movie posters, fanarts.

From what i ve read Libreelec does not support 4K HDR content yet.. (on intel nucs)

so i will have to rely on Latest Windows Kodi...

My question is this..

Buying a latest generation Intel Nuc (i3)
installing Windows 10 and Latest Kodi 19 

Is the 4k HDR movie playback equivalent to the Apple 4k ? (color and motion handling) what about audio passthrough?

(i wont buy NVIDIA shield - some time ago i bought one and sold it a week later.. and no Android Device.. (too slow for my library))

Thank you
Nicolas

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - HomerJau - 2021-01-23

(2021-01-22, 22:14)solamnic Wrote: From what i ve read Libreelec does not support 4K HDR content yet.. (on intel nucs)

I thought HDR will be supported on latest NUCs? Maybe ask on the LibreElec forum.

Kodi on a NUC (to me) is a way better user experience than on an AppleTV with MrMC. I did not notice any difference in video quality.

I’d way prefer LibreElec over Kodi on Windows but my NUC8 misses out on Intel drivers for HDR so I’ve switched. I did try CoreElec on an Odroid N2 but the NUC is more snappy. So I’m now ‘suffering’ Windows...

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - noggin - 2021-01-23

(2021-01-23, 03:50)HomerJau Wrote:
(2021-01-22, 22:14)solamnic Wrote: From what i ve read Libreelec does not support 4K HDR content yet.. (on intel nucs)

I thought HDR will be supported on latest NUCs? Maybe ask on the LibreElec forum.

Kodi on a NUC (to me) is a way better user experience than on an AppleTV with MrMC. I did not notice any difference in video quality.

I’d way prefer LibreElec over Kodi on Windows but my NUC8 misses out on Intel drivers for HDR so I’ve switched. I did try CoreElec on an Odroid N2 but the NUC is more snappy. So I’m now ‘suffering’ Windows...

There are two or three issues - hardware support, driver support and software support.

At the moment there is experimental HDR support in Libreelec for some Intel-based devices (including NUCs) though it does depend how the HDMI output is implemented (Direct HDMI to the SoC, or DisplayPort output from the SoC converted on the motherboard to HDMI using an LSPCon chip).  However AIUI the output is limited to 2160p30 and below, and there is only support for 8-bit HDR output (though dithering can reduce the impact of this), rather than the 10-bit ideally required.  There is no Intel driver support for 4:2:2 12-bit (which is how most consumer devices carry 4:2:2 10-bit HDR), and 4:4:4/RGB output is limited to 8-bit AIUI.

Things may have changed - and 4:4:4/RGB 10-bit (and 4:2:0 10-bit for >2160p30 output) may have been added - but I stay across the threads in the LibreElec forum discussing this, and still no massive joy in this regard AIUI.  Intel don't really seem to have a strong handle on this area in Linux, with Windows support potentially being a bit better (though HDR in Windows on Intel is limited to Core-i series CPUs and above).  On the others side - it's possible to get HDR output from GeminiLake Celeron and Pentium SoCs in Linux, and that's not supported in Windows at all...

Intel + HDR + Linux are still not in a fully 'business as usual' state.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - solamnic - 2021-01-23

So...

Latest latest generation Intel Nuc (i3) with Windows 10 and Latest Kodi 19 

Is the 4k HDR movie playback equivalent to the Apple 4k ? (color and motion handling) what about audio passthrough?

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - HomerJau - 2021-01-23

(2021-01-23, 18:05)solamnic Wrote: what about audio passthrough?

My NUC8 has no audio pass-through issues over HDMI with Matrix RC1. (Apart from the known Kodi Atmos issue with The Beatles - Abbey Road Atmos mix that occurs in all Kodi releases/platforms)

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - moamoa - 2021-01-24

Hi,

Got a bit lost tbh. Currently using PI's with LibreELEC. Main uses are TV (via tvheadend), Netflix, Amazon and Disney+ plugins. Obviously because of Widevine on PI's I can only do 720p. I would like to upgrade to 4k, so can use 4k on the Netflix plugin. I think to do this I need to go to an android device supporting Widevine L1, is this correct?

What hardware options are available for as of 2021? On android kodi, will it play the netflix 4k directly within kodi plugin, or does kodi drop to the android app?

I assume linux options are non starters because of L1? I don't think android supports auto refresh rate switching does it? LibreElec will switch from 50hz for tv for 23hz for a movie avi and my Projector will switch in sync. I'll loose this with an android option, right? :/

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - noggin - 2021-01-24

(2021-01-24, 13:44)moamoa Wrote: Hi,

Got a bit lost tbh. Currently using PI's with LibreELEC. Main uses are TV (via tvheadend), Netflix, Amazon and Disney+ plugins. Obviously because of Widevine on PI's I can only do 720p. I would like to upgrade to 4k, so can use 4k on the Netflix plugin. I think to do this I need to go to an android device supporting Widevine L1, is this correct?

What hardware options are available for as of 2021? On android kodi, will it play the netflix 4k directly within kodi plugin, or does kodi drop to the android app?

I assume linux options are non starters because of L1? I don't think android supports auto refresh rate switching does it? LibreElec will switch from 50hz for tv for 23hz for a movie avi and my Projector will switch in sync. I'll loose this with an android option, right? :/

For 4K Netflix you need to have a Netflix-approved box, not just one that has the right Widevine level.  Netflix have a separate approval programme still I believe for their premium streams.  Very few Netflix platforms implement refresh-rate switching (even if there is support in the underlying OS - such as on the Amazon Fire TV devices)

The Apple TV 4K does a great job with Netflix, Prime, Disney+ and Apple TV+ - apart from lacking support for 24.000Hz refresh for relatively rare 24.000 content.  You can't run full-fat Kodi on the Apple TV 4K, but the MrMC fork does run - and includes TV Headend PVR support (though you can't run Python add-ons). The nVidia Shield TV doesn't have automatic refresh rate switching in DRM streaming applications (though does in Kodi), but there is an OS-supported 'sample refresh rate and switch to it' shortcut that works in a lot of apps that lets you set the refresh rate manually once you are playing. 

I'd separate your DRM requirement from your Kodi local replay requirement potentially if you want more choice - as the best Kodi platform isn't usually the best DRM platform.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - daydr3amer - 2021-01-25

EDIT: I forgot that I'm posting in an english speaking forum, lol -

Hey, I have been running Kodi on a Linux HTPC with passive cooling for more than 10 years now. Lately it needs around 10 minutes to fully boot up, so I guess it's about time to replace it. 1080p Series can't be played back stutter free, Movies can, and I really don't want to waste my days figuring out how to get everything running smoothly on this ancient box. These Android TV alternatives look very promising to me, given that you can watch Netflix and stuff on it, but I've got services like Sonarr, Radarr, SABnzbd and others running besides Kodi, which I think wouldn't run on an Android TV device, right? Do you think that an ODROID N2+ box would fit my needs, maybe even for another extended period of time, or should I rather opt to build another "real" HTPC? Or maybe an Intel NUC (if thats any better)?

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - bubblegum57 - 2021-01-26

(2021-01-25, 23:35)daydr3amer Wrote: EDIT: I forgot that I'm posting in an english speaking forum, lol -

Hey, I have been running Kodi on a Linux HTPC with passive cooling for more than 10 years now. Lately it needs around 10 minutes to fully boot up, so I guess it's about time to replace it. 1080p Series can't be played back stutter free, Movies can, and I really don't want to waste my days figuring out how to get everything running smoothly on this ancient box. These Android TV alternatives look very promising to me, given that you can watch Netflix and stuff on it, but I've got services like Sonarr, Radarr, SABnzbd and others running besides Kodi, which I think wouldn't run on an Android TV device, right? Do you think that an ODROID N2+ box would fit my needs, maybe even for another extended period of time, or should I rather opt to build another "real" HTPC? Or maybe an Intel NUC (if thats any better)?
Quote from above

For 4K Netflix you need to have a Netflix-approved box, not just one that has the right Widevine level.  Netflix have a separate approval programme still I believe for their premium streams.

So an N2 would not work with Netflix. You could buy a cheapo Android box, install CE to sd card & boot from android when you want it. But the cheapo boxes are not able to deliver 4K netflix. There is a netflix addon for kodi/CE but when I last tried it, the audio was way off. 
You could buy a nas (expensive) & run sonarr etc on that, & buy a shield (not cheap) or amazon fire stick.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - daydr3amer - 2021-01-26

(2021-01-26, 12:16)bubblegum57 Wrote:
(2021-01-25, 23:35)daydr3amer Wrote: EDIT: I forgot that I'm posting in an english speaking forum, lol -

Quote from above

For 4K Netflix you need to have a Netflix-approved box, not just one that has the right Widevine level.  Netflix have a separate approval programme still I believe for their premium streams.

So an N2 would not work with Netflix. You could buy a cheapo Android box, install CE to sd card & boot from android when you want it. But the cheapo boxes are not able to deliver 4K netflix. There is a netflix addon for kodi/CE but when I last tried it, the audio was way off. 
You could buy a nas (expensive) & run sonarr etc on that, & buy a shield (not cheap) or amazon fire stick.
Hey, thanks for your reply, but maybe I was not clear enough in my question. While it would be nice to have Netflix and Kodi running on one device, it is more important for me to run the other services and Kodi on the same device. If its not possible to run linux applications on Android TV, then Android TV is a no go for me.. Though I wasn't absolutely sure if thats the case and included them in my question.

Or maybe I didn't understand you quite right, `install CE to sd card & boot from android when you want it` - CE stands for CoreELEC? - that would mean linux. Is that possible with the Amazon Fire TV box, too? Google couldn't help me ad hoc, but that would fulfill all my needs I think, if operating it isn't too tricky. 

I have a Fire TV Stick here, so the idea with a NAS running my other stuff could be a good one, too. My only concern would be that the storage might run out when having a super large library

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - bubblegum57 - 2021-01-26

(2021-01-26, 12:41)daydr3amer Wrote:

Quote from above

Hey, thanks for your reply, but maybe I was not clear enough in my question. While it would be nice to have Netflix and Kodi running on one device, it is more important for me to run the other services and Kodi on the same device. If its not possible to run linux applications on Android TV, then Android TV is a no go for me.. Though I wasn't absolutely sure if thats the case and included them in my question.

Or maybe I didn't understand you quite right, `install CE to sd card & boot from android when you want it` - CE stands for CoreELEC? - that would mean linux. Is that possible with the Amazon Fire TV box, too? Google couldn't help me ad hoc, but that would fulfill all my needs I think, if operating it isn't too tricky. 

I have a Fire TV Stick here, so the idea with a NAS running my other stuff could be a good one, too. My only concern would be that the storage might run out when having a super large library
I don't think there is one device to run everything. To have sonarr etc & kodi on one device, I think you need to build another htpc. I think qnap used to run kodi, but not anymore. You can't run linux apps on android tv. 

CE coreelec, is linux, but a cut down version, it's basically kodi, you might be able to run sonarr via kodi addons, I don't know. With CE you install it to sd card, that can then run kodi & compatible addons. You then remove the sd card & it will boot to android. 

You cannot install linux on a fire tv or shield. 

As for running out of storage, it depends on your needs. You can get 12 bay nas & 16TB hard drives. But these are expensive. A synology nas is nearly plug & play, you have packages for sonarr, etc

An advantage of a nas is the low power consumption. so a nas for storage & running the linux apps & a fire tv for playback.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - moamoa - 2021-01-26

I use the Netflix plugin (and Amazon & Disney+ plugins) on Kodi (LibreELEC) and they work great now. It's my main use for Kodi actually, along with tvHeadend for live TV via satellite. It's this use-case I really want to move to a new setup that can do 4K. My understanding is that (and correct me if I'm wrong) to play DRM content to you need Widevine. Widevine supports both software and hardware decoding, on Linux based devices such as LibreELEC it can't use hardware decoding but can only use software decoding which limits it to 720p on a LibreELEC (on a PI) and possibly 1080p on better hardware that can software decode it. In order to have Netflix 4K you would need hardware decoding within Widevine (which I think is called Widevine L1). There are a number boxes that have Widevine L1. To clear something up here, is the L1 implementation linked to the OS? Can the L1 hardware decoding via Widevine only happen under Android, so Linux running on the same hardware wouldn't work? To continue, additional to this... even if you have Android box with Widevine L1 which is capable of running DRM content in 4K, this still might not work, as Netflix also implement a whitelist of devices that are allowing to use the 4K decoding.

So to get 4K Netflix you need to basically be running one of a very limited number of android based boxes, possibly;
Nvidia Shield
Google Chromecast 4K
Amazon Firestick 4K
Xiaome MI box S 4K

That it's, if you want Netflix 4K. And it must be running the host android OS. Even if you were to root and install LibreELEC on the MI BOX (if that were even possible) the Netflix plugin wouldn't work because the Widevine it would use would be a Linux one and wouldn't have access to the L1 decoding, is that right?

Given all this, it would appear I will need to go from LibreELEC to an android version of Kodi running on one of the above boxes. In this case....

Has anyone tried the Netlix plugin running in 4K within Kodi on any of the above? As this looks my only route.

(2021-01-26, 13:11)moamoa Wrote:

I use the Netflix plugin (and Amazon & Disney+ plugins) on Kodi (LibreELEC) and they work great now. It's my main use for Kodi actually, along with tvHeadend for live TV via satellite. It's this use-case I really want to move to a new setup that can do 4K. My understanding is that (and correct me if I'm wrong) to play DRM content to you need Widevine. Widevine supports both software and hardware decoding, on Linux based devices such as LibreELEC it can't use hardware decoding but can only use software decoding which limits it to 720p on a LibreELEC (on a PI) and possibly 1080p on better hardware that can software decode it. In order to have Netflix 4K you would need hardware decoding within Widevine (which I think is called Widevine L1). There are a number boxes that have Widevine L1. To clear something up here, is the L1 implementation linked to the OS? Can the L1 hardware decoding via Widevine only happen under Android, so Linux running on the same hardware wouldn't work? To continue, additional to this... even if you have Android box with Widevine L1 which is capable of running DRM content in 4K, this still might not work, as Netflix also implement a whitelist of devices that are allowing to use the 4K decoding.

So to get 4K Netflix you need to basically be running one of a very limited number of android based boxes, possibly;
Nvidia Shield
Google Chromecast 4K
Amazon Firestick 4K
Xiaome MI box S 4K

That it's, if you want Netflix 4K. And it must be running the host android OS. Even if you were to root and install LibreELEC on the MI BOX (if that were even possible) the Netflix plugin wouldn't work because the Widevine it would use would be a Linux one and wouldn't have access to the L1 decoding, is that right?

Given all this, it would appear I will need to go from LibreELEC to an android version of Kodi running on one of the above boxes. In this case....

Has anyone tried the Netlix plugin running in 4K within Kodi on any of the above? As this looks my only route.
I do not understand the intracacies of widevine L1 etc. But I think that the list of devices you gave are the only ones to play 4K netflix. They will also play kodi & TVH (as a client) not sure about TVH server, on those devices.

You can install tvh server on a nas. 

CE is the equivalent of LE but for amlogic devices. I think there are plans in the future for LE to support Amlogic devices.

If you had one of the android boxes listed you wouldn't need to run netflix through the kodi addon.You would have the android version.

So, perhaps a nas for sonarr tvh server. & a netflix certified box. 

I have a synology nas. for storage, plex server, tvh server. also jellyfin running through docker (not all nas run docker) You might consider Plex or Jellyfin in the future. 

You cannot install linux on the devices you listed.