Kodi Community Forum
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) (/showthread.php?tid=252916)

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - daydr3amer - 2021-01-26

(2021-01-26, 12:55)bubblegum57 Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 12:41)daydr3amer Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 12:16)bubblegum57 Wrote: Quote from above

For 4K Netflix you need to have a Netflix-approved box, not just one that has the right Widevine level.  Netflix have a separate approval programme still I believe for their premium streams.

So an N2 would not work with Netflix. You could buy a cheapo Android box, install CE to sd card & boot from android when you want it. But the cheapo boxes are not able to deliver 4K netflix. There is a netflix addon for kodi/CE but when I last tried it, the audio was way off. 
You could buy a nas (expensive) & run sonarr etc on that, & buy a shield (not cheap) or amazon fire stick.
Hey, thanks for your reply, but maybe I was not clear enough in my question. While it would be nice to have Netflix and Kodi running on one device, it is more important for me to run the other services and Kodi on the same device. If its not possible to run linux applications on Android TV, then Android TV is a no go for me.. Though I wasn't absolutely sure if thats the case and included them in my question.

Or maybe I didn't understand you quite right, `install CE to sd card & boot from android when you want it` - CE stands for CoreELEC? - that would mean linux. Is that possible with the Amazon Fire TV box, too? Google couldn't help me ad hoc, but that would fulfill all my needs I think, if operating it isn't too tricky. 

I have a Fire TV Stick here, so the idea with a NAS running my other stuff could be a good one, too. My only concern would be that the storage might run out when having a super large library
I don't think there is one device to run everything. To have sonarr etc & kodi on one device, I think you need to build another htpc. I think qnap used to run kodi, but not anymore. You can't run linux apps on android tv. 

CE coreelec, is linux, but a cut down version, it's basically kodi, you might be able to run sonarr via kodi addons, I don't know. With CE you install it to sd card, that can then run kodi & compatible addons. You then remove the sd card & it will boot to android. 

You cannot install linux on a fire tv or shield. 

As for running out of storage, it depends on your needs. You can get 12 bay nas & 16TB hard drives. But these are expensive. A synology nas is nearly plug & play, you have packages for sonarr, etc

An advantage of a nas is the low power consumption. so a nas for storage & running the linux apps & a fire tv for playback.

As for running out of storage I meant the library metadata stored on the Fire TV Stick.. And as long as you can ssh into CE it shouldn't be a problem to install whatever you want there, even if it's not a Kodi addon. So currently I'm wondering what the best solution would be.. Also for my first question, would the ODROID be powerful enough to run some services besides Kodi?

NAS with VM running services - Fire TV with Kodi App and Netflix -> probably most expensive and traffic intense but most convenient
Android TV device dual booting with CE-Kodi and Android TV-Netflix - Storage directly attached via USB Hub -> feels hacky and could break apart easily I guess
ODROID N2+ running services and Kodi - Fire TV for Netflix -> is it powerful enough?
Custom HTPC running services and Kodi - Fire TV for Netflix -> expensive and would need intensive research on hardware, so not really preferred

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - bubblegum57 - 2021-01-26

(2021-01-26, 13:46)daydr3amer Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 12:41)daydr3amer Wrote: Hey, thanks for your reply, but maybe I was not clear enough in my question. While it would be nice to have Netflix and Kodi running on one device, it is more important for me to run the other services and Kodi on the same device. If its not possible to run linux applications on Android TV, then Android TV is a no go for me.. Though I wasn't absolutely sure if thats the case and included them in my question.

Or maybe I didn't understand you quite right, `install CE to sd card & boot from android when you want it` - CE stands for CoreELEC? - that would mean linux. Is that possible with the Amazon Fire TV box, too? Google couldn't help me ad hoc, but that would fulfill all my needs I think, if operating it isn't too tricky. 

I have a Fire TV Stick here, so the idea with a NAS running my other stuff could be a good one, too. My only concern would be that the storage might run out when having a super large library
I don't think there is one device to run everything. To have sonarr etc & kodi on one device, I think you need to build another htpc. I think qnap used to run kodi, but not anymore. You can't run linux apps on android tv. 

CE coreelec, is linux, but a cut down version, it's basically kodi, you might be able to run sonarr via kodi addons, I don't know. With CE you install it to sd card, that can then run kodi & compatible addons. You then remove the sd card & it will boot to android. 

As for running out of storage, it depends on your needs. You can get 12 bay nas & 16TB hard drives. But these are expensive. A synology nas is nearly plug & play, you have packages for sonarr, etc

An advantage of a nas is the low power consumption. so a nas for storage & running the linux apps & a fire tv for playback.

As for running out of storage I meant the library metadata stored on the Fire TV Stick.. And as long as you can ssh into CE it shouldn't be a problem to install whatever you want there, even if it's not a Kodi addon. So currently I'm wondering what the best solution would be.. Also for my first question, would the ODROID be powerful enough to run some services besides Kodi?

NAS with VM running services - Fire TV with Kodi App and Netflix -> probably most expensive and traffic intense but most convenient
Android TV device dual booting with CE-Kodi and Android TV-Netflix - Storage directly attached via USB Hub -> feels hacky and could break apart easily I guess
ODROID N2+ running services and Kodi - Fire TV for Netflix -> is it powerful enough?
Custom HTPC running services and Kodi - Fire TV for Netflix -> expensive and would need intensive research on hardware, so not really preferred

You can add an external usb stick to gain extra storage for the fire stick. Troypoint is a thing to google, but it comes with a lot of other crap trying to get you to buy a vpn. You need an OTG cable & usb stick.
I don't know if the Odroid would be powerful enough, you could ask at the CE forum. although it is the most powerful amlogic device at this time. 

Android TV device dual booting with CE-Kodi and Android TV-Netflix,  these android devices do not include single board computers like the Odroid or N2 they don't have android. EG X96 Max + the android from these devices won't run 4K netflix as they are not certified.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - daydr3amer - 2021-01-26

(2021-01-26, 14:08)bubblegum57 Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 12:55)bubblegum57 Wrote: I don't think there is one device to run everything. To have sonarr etc & kodi on one device, I think you need to build another htpc. I think qnap used to run kodi, but not anymore. You can't run linux apps on android tv. 

You can add an external usb stick to gain extra storage for the fire stick. Troypoint is a thing to google, but it comes with a lot of other crap trying to get you to buy a vpn. You need an OTG cable & usb stick.
I don't know if the Odroid would be powerful enough, you could ask at the CE forum. although it is the most powerful amlogic device at this time. 

Android TV device dual booting with CE-Kodi and Android TV-Netflix,  these android devices do not include single board computers like the Odroid or N2 they don't have android. EG X96 Max + the android from these devices won't run 4K netflix as they are not certified.

Hmm, and the affordable NASes come with 1GB RAM only. Additionally the VM would need access to the USB port for the tvheadend tv card, and I don't know if thats even possible.. Seems like custom is still the way to go

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - moamoa - 2021-01-26

(2021-01-26, 13:38)bubblegum57 Wrote: I do not understand the intracacies of widevine L1 etc. But I think that the list of devices you gave are the only ones to play 4K netflix. They will also play kodi & TVH (as a client) not sure about TVH server, on those devices.

You can install tvh server on a nas. 

CE is the equivalent of LE but for amlogic devices. I think there are plans in the future for LE to support Amlogic devices.

If you had one of the android boxes listed you wouldn't need to run netflix through the kodi addon.You would have the android version.

So, perhaps a nas for sonarr tvh server. & a netflix certified box. 

I have a synology nas. for storage, plex server, tvh server. also jellyfin running through docker (not all nas run docker) You might consider Plex or Jellyfin in the future. 

You cannot install linux on the devices you listed.

I also have a server which take my 4 satellite LMB cables and runs tvHeadend server and is my NAS storage too. So I am fine with Kodi just for the Client side. I know I could use the Netflix android app on the devices above, but I do like the feel of Kodi pulling it all together in the single UI, so my preferred option would be to play Netflix, Amazon & Disney+ all within the Kodi plugins. It's nice to add to the Kodi favourites and be agnostic of where it's from. The plugins work pretty good these days, more than well enough to need to drop through to the native apps (providing the plugins will do the 4K DRM content).

My feeling is the Xaomi might be the best fit, for price and use. As I will be aiming for a boot-to-kodi.

Currently, my PI has a digital optical cable (on a external card interface) to my surround-sound amp for 5.1 DTS and such. Since not of the boxes have digital optical audio out, I assume i just take HDMI from box though amp and then from amp to TV. and the amp will take the audio in the middle? And the passthrough of the 4k, shouldn't be an issue?

I guess I just need a bit of feedback on how each (if any) of those devices do 4K netflix with the kodi plugin...

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - bubblegum57 - 2021-01-26

(2021-01-26, 14:12)daydr3amer Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 14:08)bubblegum57 Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 13:46)daydr3amer Wrote: As for running out of storage I meant the library metadata stored on the Fire TV Stick.. And as long as you can ssh into CE it shouldn't be a problem to install whatever you want there, even if it's not a Kodi addon. So currently I'm wondering what the best solution would be.. Also for my first question, would the ODROID be powerful enough to run some services besides Kodi?

Hmm, and the affordable NASes come with 1GB RAM only. Additionally the VM would need access to the USB port for the tvheadend tv card, and I don't know if thats even possible.. Seems like custom is still the way to go
a nas with 1GB ram is at the bottom end of the market, VM's are only on the higher end. also, to run a tvh server from a nas, you need a compatible usb tuner, there are not many. HD homerun would probably be ok. BUT you need to check that there is a TVH server package for the particular nas. 

I am not a fan of Single board computers, by the time you have added remote, or dongle, case psu etc. 

I am running a X96 Max +. I have installed CE to sd card. It uses a S905X3 this does have temp issues, although I don't. 

With CE you can run a TVH server & client, using a usb tv tuner, or HD homerun (not cheap)

The X96 max is relatively cheap, I am not recommending it. 

A box with S922X is better but more expensive.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - moamoa - 2021-01-26

(2021-01-26, 12:41)daydr3amer Wrote: Hey, thanks for your reply, but maybe I was not clear enough in my question. While it would be nice to have Netflix and Kodi running on one device, it is more important for me to run the other services and Kodi on the same device. If its not possible to run linux applications on Android TV, then Android TV is a no go for me.. Though I wasn't absolutely sure if thats the case and included them in my question.

For me, I don't want a hacky duel boot thing. I have multiple clients, for non-techie family that can watch tv, netflix and media all from kodi, so it needs to be easy and all in once place, hence kodi with plugins.

So for me it's a case of the best boot to kodi box, which can play netflix 4k from inside the plugin. Anyone able to confirm this on a device they have?

(2021-01-26, 14:29)moamoa Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 12:55)bubblegum57 Wrote: I don't think there is one device to run everything. To have sonarr etc & kodi on one device, I think you need to build another htpc. I think qnap used to run kodi, but not anymore. You can't run linux apps on android tv. 

For me, I don't want a hacky duel boot thing. I have multiple clients, for non-techie family that can watch tv, netflix and media all from kodi, so it needs to be easy and all in once place, hence kodi with plugins.

So for me it's a case of the best boot to kodi box, which can play netflix 4k from inside the plugin. Anyone able to confirm this on a device they have?
I don't think you will get nextflix 4k playing via a kodi plugin.

I had nextflix running on my X96 max with CE. it was so out of sync it was unwatchable. CE uses the same plugins as Kodi, because CE is a cut down linux version of Kodi.

(2021-01-26, 14:33)bubblegum57 Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 14:29)moamoa Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 13:46)daydr3amer Wrote: As for running out of storage I meant the library metadata stored on the Fire TV Stick.. And as long as you can ssh into CE it shouldn't be a problem to install whatever you want there, even if it's not a Kodi addon. So currently I'm wondering what the best solution would be.. Also for my first question, would the ODROID be powerful enough to run some services besides Kodi?

I had nextflix running on my X96 max with CE. it was so out of sync it was unwatchable. CE uses the same plugins as Kodi, because CE is a cut down linux version of Kodi.

No, that is different. I don't expect CE to be able to play Netflix 4K via plugin (prob ever). LibreELEC (pretty much CE) plays Netflix great in 720p, really good actually. But like CE has no road to 4K Netflix as it's limited to software decoding. I thimk if you has a PI running LE and not a X96 running CE, your Netflix would probably be loads better. The difference is the Android based (Netflix certified) devices running Kodi "should/might" be able to access the L1 hardware coding Widevine and therefore able to play the Netflix 4K DRM content from within the plugin. Just need someone with one of the above devices to be able to test and confirm with feedback?

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - noggin - 2021-01-26

(2021-01-26, 14:47)moamoa Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 14:33)bubblegum57 Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 14:29)moamoa Wrote: For me, I don't want a hacky duel boot thing. I have multiple clients, for non-techie family that can watch tv, netflix and media all from kodi, so it needs to be easy and all in once place, hence kodi with plugins.

No, that is different. I don't expect CE to be able to play Netflix 4K via plugin (prob ever). LibreELEC (pretty much CE) plays Netflix great in 720p, really good actually. But like CE has no road to 4K Netflix as it's limited to software decoding. I thimk if you has a PI running LE and not a X96 running CE, your Netflix would probably be loads better. The difference is the Android based (Netflix certified) devices running Kodi "should/might" be able to access the L1 hardware coding Widevine and therefore able to play the Netflix 4K DRM content from within the plugin. Just need someone with one of the above devices to be able to test and confirm with feedback?

Widevine Level 1 alone isn't a route to 4K Netflix I'm afraid.  Netflix also need to whitelist your device to enable 4K streams, which requires a dialogue between the manufacturer and Netflix.  So far only a small number of manufacturers (Apple, Amazon, nVidia, Google, plus Smart TV manufacturers, and a few others) have managed to do this.  A few Chinese boxes have tried to circumvent this by cloning elements from approved devices - but there aren't that many routes to official 4K Netflix.  Some other 4K providers have less restrictive requirements I believe.

(2021-01-26, 14:25)bubblegum57 Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 14:12)daydr3amer Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 14:08)bubblegum57 Wrote: You can add an external usb stick to gain extra storage for the fire stick. Troypoint is a thing to google, but it comes with a lot of other crap trying to get you to buy a vpn. You need an OTG cable & usb stick.

a nas with 1GB ram is at the bottom end of the market, VM's are only on the higher end. also, to run a tvh server from a nas, you need a compatible usb tuner, there are not many. HD homerun would probably be ok. BUT you need to check that there is a TVH server package for the particular nas. 

I am not a fan of Single board computers, by the time you have added remote, or dongle, case psu etc. 

I am running a X96 Max +. I have installed CE to sd card. It uses a S905X3 this does have temp issues, although I don't. 

With CE you can run a TVH server & client, using a usb tv tuner, or HD homerun (not cheap)

The X96 max is relatively cheap, I am not recommending it. 

A box with S922X is better but more expensive.

Since a NAS with VM support is way too overpriced for my purpose (starting from 600-800€) what about the idea running something like FreeNAS alongside TVHeaded, Sonarr, Radarr, SABnzbd on a RPi or ORDROID and Kodi on the FireTV? I think that could be the best solution to running everything on one device

(2021-01-26, 14:52)noggin Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 14:47)moamoa Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 14:33)bubblegum57 Wrote: I don't think you will get nextflix 4k playing via a kodi plugin.

Widevine Level 1 alone isn't a route to 4K Netflix I'm afraid.  Netflix also need to whitelist your device to enable 4K streams, which requires a dialogue between the manufacturer and Netflix.  So far only a small number of manufacturers (Apple, Amazon, nVidia, Google, plus Smart TV manufacturers, and a few others) have managed to do this.  A few Chinese boxes have tried to circumvent this by cloning elements from approved devices - but there aren't that many routes to official 4K Netflix.  Some other 4K providers have less restrictive requirements I believe.

I understand this. I know L1 is not enough and it needs to be that plus and approved device. But the question is; does it need to be the native Netflix app on the approved device, or can can it be Kodi+plugin running on approved device.

I think I have replying to 3 different people, thinking I was replying to one. Doh

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - noggin - 2021-01-26

(2021-01-26, 15:17)moamoa Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 14:52)noggin Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 14:47)moamoa Wrote: No, that is different. I don't expect CE to be able to play Netflix 4K via plugin (prob ever). LibreELEC (pretty much CE) plays Netflix great in 720p, really good actually. But like CE has no road to 4K Netflix as it's limited to software decoding. I thimk if you has a PI running LE and not a X96 running CE, your Netflix would probably be loads better. The difference is the Android based (Netflix certified) devices running Kodi "should/might" be able to access the L1 hardware coding Widevine and therefore able to play the Netflix 4K DRM content from within the plugin. Just need someone with one of the above devices to be able to test and confirm with feedback?

I understand this. I know L1 is not enough and it needs to be that plus and approved device. But the question is; does it need to be the native Netflix app on the approved device, or can can it be Kodi+plugin running on approved device.

I believe that you can play Netflix 4K within Kodi on the nVidia Shield TV - though I may be mistaken.

(2021-01-26, 16:12)noggin Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 15:17)moamoa Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 14:52)noggin Wrote: Widevine Level 1 alone isn't a route to 4K Netflix I'm afraid.  Netflix also need to whitelist your device to enable 4K streams, which requires a dialogue between the manufacturer and Netflix.  So far only a small number of manufacturers (Apple, Amazon, nVidia, Google, plus Smart TV manufacturers, and a few others) have managed to do this.  A few Chinese boxes have tried to circumvent this by cloning elements from approved devices - but there aren't that many routes to official 4K Netflix.  Some other 4K providers have less restrictive requirements I believe.

I believe that you can play Netflix 4K within Kodi on the nVidia Shield TV - though I may be mistaken.
You might be right, but whats the point when the shield has a netflix app. I have a shield. I might give it a go.

(2021-01-26, 16:16)bubblegum57 Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 16:12)noggin Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 15:17)moamoa Wrote: I understand this. I know L1 is not enough and it needs to be that plus and approved device. But the question is; does it need to be the native Netflix app on the approved device, or can can it be Kodi+plugin running on approved device.

You might be right, but whats the point when the shield has a netflix app. I have a shield. I might give it a go.
There is a lot of point. One of the main, if not THE main point of Kodi, is to bring all media, streams and sources into one uniform place, where all content is accessed, played and controlled in a consistent an similar manner. Be it live tv, a you-tube, a Netflix movie, a local DVD rip, an amazon prime, stream, whatever.. to control and watch it all done the same way, displayed the same, so it's seamlessly integrated. Surely, that's the whole point? If not that, why not dump Kodi and just run natives apps for all sources?

If you use Kodi right, what it is doesn't matter. I can browse some stuff on Netflix plugin, then Amazon, then live tv channels, and add to my favourites in Kodi. I just look in favourites and pick 'Fear City'. I don't need to know what source it's from, it just plays, agnostically. The only way I even know is the big red N at the start! Smile Surely this is the goal? Even to the point I have my Kodi connected to my OpenHab home automation, which is connected to my home alarm. So when I walk in the room, the alarm PIR sees, tells OpenHab I'm in the room, which turns my lights on. My Alexa is hooked into my OpenHab, which is in turn is linked via MQTT to my kodi. So, I say "Alexa, watch Fear City in Movie Room". OpenHab, turns the light off becuase I'm about to watch something and start Kodi playing Fear City which happens to be on on Netflix. There is a lot of point in having the plugin to work in Kodi, vs the native app, because once it is you have access to ALL kodi can do with it.