Kodi Community Forum
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) (/showthread.php?tid=252916)

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - bubblegum57 - 2021-01-26

(2021-01-26, 16:35)moamoa Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 16:16)bubblegum57 Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 16:12)noggin Wrote: I believe that you can play Netflix 4K within Kodi on the nVidia Shield TV - though I may be mistaken.
You might be right, but whats the point when the shield has a netflix app. I have a shield. I might give it a go.
There is a lot of point. One of the main, if not THE main point of Kodi, is to bring all media, streams and sources into one uniform place, where all content is accessed, played and controlled in a consistent an similar manner. Be it live tv, a you-tube, a Netflix movie, a local DVD rip, an amazon prime, stream, whatever.. to control and watch it all done the same way, displayed the same, so it's seamlessly integrated. Surely, that's the whole point? If not that, why not dump Kodi and just run natives apps for all sources?

If you use Kodi right, what it is doesn't matter. I can browse some stuff on Netflix plugin, then Amazon, then live tv channels, and add to my favourites in Kodi. I just look in favourites and pick 'Fear City'. I don't need to know what source it's from, it just plays, agnostically. The only way I even know is the big red N at the start! Smile Surely this is the goal? Even to the point I have my Kodi connected to my OpenHab home automation, which is connected to my home alarm. So when I walk in the room, the alarm PIR sees, tells OpenHab I'm in the room, which turns my lights on. My Alexa is hooked into my OpenHab, which is in turn is linked via MQTT to my kodi. So, I say "Alexa, watch Fear City in Movie Room". OpenHab, turns the light off becuase I'm about to watch something and start Kodi playing Fear City which happens to be on on Netflix. There is a lot of point in having the plugin to work in Kodi, vs the native app, because once it is you have access to ALL kodi can do with it.
seems like a good reason. I have been trying to install netflix on kodi on my shield. I have been looking at various guides. But for some reason, I'm not having any luck.

could you link to a good guide. I'm on kodi 18.9

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - moamoa - 2021-01-26

(2021-01-26, 16:39)bubblegum57 Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 16:35)moamoa Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 16:16)bubblegum57 Wrote: You might be right, but whats the point when the shield has a netflix app. I have a shield. I might give it a go.
There is a lot of point. One of the main, if not THE main point of Kodi, is to bring all media, streams and sources into one uniform place, where all content is accessed, played and controlled in a consistent an similar manner. Be it live tv, a you-tube, a Netflix movie, a local DVD rip, an amazon prime, stream, whatever.. to control and watch it all done the same way, displayed the same, so it's seamlessly integrated. Surely, that's the whole point? If not that, why not dump Kodi and just run natives apps for all sources?

If you use Kodi right, what it is doesn't matter. I can browse some stuff on Netflix plugin, then Amazon, then live tv channels, and add to my favourites in Kodi. I just look in favourites and pick 'Fear City'. I don't need to know what source it's from, it just plays, agnostically. The only way I even know is the big red N at the start! Smile Surely this is the goal? Even to the point I have my Kodi connected to my OpenHab home automation, which is connected to my home alarm. So when I walk in the room, the alarm PIR sees, tells OpenHab I'm in the room, which turns my lights on. My Alexa is hooked into my OpenHab, which is in turn is linked via MQTT to my kodi. So, I say "Alexa, watch Fear City in Movie Room". OpenHab, turns the light off becuase I'm about to watch something and start Kodi playing Fear City which happens to be on on Netflix. There is a lot of point in having the plugin to work in Kodi, vs the native app, because once it is you have access to ALL kodi can do with it.
seems like a good reason. I have been trying to install netflix on kodi on my shield. I have been looking at various guides. But for some reason, I'm not having any luck.

Sure, no probs. Look here;
https://github.com/CastagnaIT/plugin.video.netflix

This is where the plugin lives. Just scroll down to the link to install the Repo. There's a Repo for 18.x and 19.x. Once you have added the repo, you can go and install the Netflix plugin from the repo like all other plugs. It should be easy from there.
I install it on LibreELEC and on Windows kodi like that, and have no issues. When you run it first time on Linux it makes you download the Widevine plugin. I don't think that part is needed for android.

Good luck! Smile

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - moamoa - 2021-01-26

(2021-01-26, 16:50)moamoa Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 16:39)bubblegum57 Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 16:35)moamoa Wrote: There is a lot of point. One of the main, if not THE main point of Kodi, is to bring all media, streams and sources into one uniform place, where all content is accessed, played and controlled in a consistent an similar manner. Be it live tv, a you-tube, a Netflix movie, a local DVD rip, an amazon prime, stream, whatever.. to control and watch it all done the same way, displayed the same, so it's seamlessly integrated. Surely, that's the whole point? If not that, why not dump Kodi and just run natives apps for all sources?

This is where the plugin lives. Just scroll down to the link to install the Repo. There's a Repo for 18.x and 19.x. Once you have added the repo, you can go and install the Netflix plugin from the repo like all other plugs. It should be easy from there.
I install it on LibreELEC and on Windows kodi like that, and have no issues. When you run it first time on Linux it makes you download the Widevine plugin. I don't think that part is needed for android.

Good luck! Smile

Just to clarify a little. The download is a zip. once you have that you go into Kodi addons and pick install from zip file. Once you do this you will have a new Kodi repository added. You can then pick install from repository in the addons and you will see a netlifx addon in the video section of the new Catagnol repo. I hope that's clearer.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - bubblegum57 - 2021-01-26

(2021-01-26, 17:02)moamoa Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 16:50)moamoa Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 16:39)bubblegum57 Wrote: seems like a good reason. I have been trying to install netflix on kodi on my shield. I have been looking at various guides. But for some reason, I'm not having any luck.

Good luck! Smile

Just to clarify a little. The download is a zip. once you have that you go into Kodi addons and pick install from zip file. Once you do this you will have a new Kodi repository added. You can then pick install from repository in the addons and you will see a netlifx addon in the video section of the new Catagnol repo. I hope that's clearer.
Thanks, just installed on the shield. i will now try to install it on my CE box. I did have it on before, but the audio was way out.

(2021-01-26, 17:08)bubblegum57 Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 17:02)moamoa Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 16:50)moamoa Wrote: Sure, no probs. Look here;

Good luck! Smile

Thanks, just installed on the shield. i will now try to install it on my CE box. I did have it on before, but the audio was way out.

On the CE one, it will need to decode the stream in software, which it like PI it will struggle to do in 1080p. What you may need to do is go into your My Addons -> VideoPlayer InputStream -> InputStream Adaptive
and change the max resolution to 720, which it should be able to handle in software. I think it needs to be very good hardware to handle the software widevine in 1080. The Pi can't. But 720 looks surprisingly ok on Netflix.

Did the shield play a 4k stream via the plugin ok?

(2021-01-26, 17:48)moamoa Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 17:08)bubblegum57 Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 17:02)moamoa Wrote: Just to clarify a little. The download is a zip. once you have that you go into Kodi addons and pick install from zip file. Once you do this you will have a new Kodi repository added. You can then pick install from repository in the addons and you will see a netlifx addon in the video section of the new Catagnol repo. I hope that's clearer.

On the CE one, it will need to decode the stream in software, which it like PI it will struggle to do in 1080p. What you may need to do is go into your My Addons -> VideoPlayer InputStream -> InputStream Adaptive
and change the max resolution to 720, which it should be able to handle in software. I think it needs to be very good hardware to handle the software widevine in 1080. The Pi can't. But 720 looks surprisingly ok on Netflix.

Fantastic, by adjusting the inputstream setting it now plays ok. Did have to tweak the audio delay. 

In Kodi netflix plays ok, I have 4k tv, left inputstream at max.

Thanks for this, I thought I was coming on helping someone, & end up being helped myself.

(2021-01-26, 18:18)bubblegum57 Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 17:48)moamoa Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 17:08)bubblegum57 Wrote: Thanks, just installed on the shield. i will now try to install it on my CE box. I did have it on before, but the audio was way out.

Fantastic, by adjusting the inputstream setting it now plays ok. Did have to tweak the audio delay. 

Thanks for this, I thought I was coming on helping someone, & end up being helped myself.
On my setup I've not had to adjust the audio for Netflix. my satellite was a little out on audio, so for that I had to bring it in a little. I think that's always a bit variable by hardware and source.

If you watch one of the Netflix shows that can be streamed in 4K does actaully show it's rendering it in 4k. Does it look 4K? It's not just upscaling a 1080p Netflix stream?

I think pressing 'o' (for Output) on kodi, shows an overlay on the screen showing info about the source. If I play an esp of season 6 of house of cards for example (which the plugin say is a 4k show) the overlay say 1280x720 which would be right on my PI as that is what i've set the max to. I'm just curious to know it's actually rendering full 4K from the plugin on the shield. Maybe it's totally obvious for you to see on the TV. I don't have a 4k tv yet, so I don't know.

And glad i could help! Smile lol this forums often work both ways. Often found stuff I didn't even know that I didn't know here! Smile

(2021-01-26, 18:34)moamoa Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 17:48)moamoa Wrote: On the CE one, it will need to decode the stream in software, which it like PI it will struggle to do in 1080p. What you may need to do is go into your My Addons -> VideoPlayer InputStream -> InputStream Adaptive

On my setup I've not had to adjust the audio for Netflix. my satellite was a little out on audio, so for that I had to bring it in a little. I think that's always a bit variable by hardware and source.

If you watch one of the Netflix shows that can be streamed in 4K does actaully show it's rendering it in 4k. Does it look 4K? It's not just upscaling a 1080p Netflix stream?

I think pressing 'o' (for Output) on kodi, shows an overlay on the screen showing info about the source. If I play an esp of season 6 of house of cards for example (which the plugin say is a 4k show) the overlay say 1280x720 which would be right on my PI as that is what i've set the max to. I'm just curious to know it's actually rendering full 4K from the plugin on the shield. Maybe it's totally obvious for you to see on the TV. I don't have a 4k tv yet, so I don't know.

And glad i could help! Smile lol this forums often work both ways. Often found stuff I didn't even know that I didn't know here! Smile
I can't tell by looking whether it's 4K. Kodi, mq8 skin shows audio as HEVC H265 HD2160 that is under OSD on screen display. I don't have O on my remote. Netflix Kobra Kai

Just found a keyboard,  O shows video stream 3840x2160 it looks like it plays 4K  Smile

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - RKCRLR - 2021-01-27

I thought I'd chime in here with my experience.  
I have a 2017 Shield TV box running both a Tvheadend server and client (Kodi).  I use a HDHomerun Quatro network tuner and have a USB 3.0 hard drive connected to the Shield for recordings.  I have also successfully run the Netflix add-on in Kodi but no longer have Netflix.  
Tvheadend currently works good on my Shield but I wouldn't recommend running the Tvheadend server on the Shield as a plan forward for someone else.  The author that ported the Tvheadend server to the Shield is MIA.  If it ever breaks there is no support.  And if you have problems unrelated to Tvheadend causing the Shield to lockup or need a reboot you will lose any recordings in progress.  Right now I'm having DRM problems with the Shield and it's been recommended I try a system reset.  Having to reinstall Tvheadend on the Shield will be a PITA.  And Tvheadend loses track of previous recordings after a reinstall.  
I'm considering getting an Odroid C4 to be a dedicated Tvheadend server running CoreELEC.  I want something that keeps chugging along reliably.  It should work with my HDHomerun Quatro and USB 3.0 hard drive but I'm a little concerned about how responsive it will be.  The Shield Tvheadend setup is pretty snappy for skipping, etc.  I might try using the C4 as a Tvheadend server/client to see if that is any better.  And my NAS needs are pretty basic so if/when my WD MyCloud NAS dies I might try connecting another hard drive to the C4 as a simple NAS.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - bubblegum57 - 2021-01-27

(2021-01-27, 00:58)RKCRLR Wrote: I thought I'd chime in here with my experience.  
I have a 2017 Shield TV box running both a Tvheadend server and client (Kodi).  I use a HDHomerun Quatro network tuner and have a USB 3.0 hard drive connected to the Shield for recordings.  I have also successfully run the Netflix add-on in Kodi but no longer have Netflix.  
Tvheadend currently works good on my Shield but I wouldn't recommend running the Tvheadend server on the Shield as a plan forward for someone else.  The author that ported the Tvheadend server to the Shield is MIA.  If it ever breaks there is no support.  And if you have problems unrelated to Tvheadend causing the Shield to lockup or need a reboot you will lose any recordings in progress.  Right now I'm having DRM problems with the Shield and it's been recommended I try a system reset.  Having to reinstall Tvheadend on the Shield will be a PITA.  And Tvheadend loses track of previous recordings after a reinstall.  
I'm considering getting an Odroid C4 to be a dedicated Tvheadend server running CoreELEC.  I want something that keeps chugging along reliably.  It should work with my HDHomerun Quatro and USB 3.0 hard drive but I'm a little concerned about how responsive it will be.  The Shield Tvheadend setup is pretty snappy for skipping, etc.  I might try using the C4 as a Tvheadend server/client to see if that is any better.  And my NAS needs are pretty basic so if/when my WD MyCloud NAS dies I might try connecting another hard drive to the C4 as a simple NAS.
I installed the TVH package on the shield to try it out. I took note of your comments (you? or someone posted the comments previously) 
So I uninstalled it. I already had/have a tvh backend installed on to my synology & another tvh server & client installed on my X96 max+ with CE. 
I find tvh pretty snappy, can't say if it's as fast as the shield tvh server. 

I have also used tvh on a Beelink S905, H96 Pro, Mecool Pro? (S912)

I think the C4 should be ok.  I think some people have run tvh from a Pi Zero. 

I have HD Homerun duo & a usb tv tuner

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - moamoa - 2021-01-27

(2021-01-26, 17:48)moamoa Wrote: On the CE one, it will need to decode the stream in software, which it like PI it will struggle to do in 1080p. What you may need to do is go into your My Addons -> VideoPlayer InputStream -> InputStream Adaptive

That's good to know, it appears to run full 4K DRM content from within the Kodi plugin. So, I think it's probably fair to assume that it will work in a similar way on the other 4K Widevine L1 devices which are Netflix 4k certified. I have about 5 clients currently on PI's which I'll be looking to upgrade. So Shields for all is going to be a pricey solution! Smile In my case, I am only intending using them as Kodi clients, they will have no backend stuff as all that lives on my main Server, so I don't want to pay for more than is needed just to achieve 4k DRM.

The UK price for a;
Standard (non pro) 2019 Shield is about £150
Xiaome Mi Box S, about £55
Amazon Fire Stick 4K, about £40
Google Chomecast Ultra, £50

I don't think there are any other significant options that at Netflix 4K certified.

If just using this as a 4K Kodi client, it does feel the Shield is over priced since it is over specified and featured for those needs. I have a feeling it will be a much better device that the others, but only worth it if using it to it's full potential, which I will not be, as to me it's just a route to 4K DRM content. So it would appear for me, it's between the other 3.

Of those, the lack of USB ports make me pulled towards the Mi Box S. Main reason being, remote/keyboard. After much searching and trying different things I have found the best remote/keyboard to be the Wechip, it has a nice normal remote on once side, keyboard on back, and an IR power for turning other TV on/off, so all in all is good fit and it currently on all my PI clients. So could continue using those if I went the Mi Box way.

Does anyone have any comment regarding the pros/cons of the last 3 or any I may have missed?

I am basing this on installing a launcher app, and having them all boot to Kodi. I assume all support this?

Comments guys? Smile

So, I'm guessing (assuming) each of that could be set to autoboot into Kodi?

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - bubblegum57 - 2021-01-27

(2021-01-27, 12:38)moamoa Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 18:18)bubblegum57 Wrote: Fantastic, by adjusting the inputstream setting it now plays ok. Did have to tweak the audio delay. 

That's good to know, it appears to run full 4K DRM content from within the Kodi plugin. So, I think it's probably fair to assume that it will work in a similar way on the other 4K Widevine L1 devices which are Netflix 4k certified. I have about 5 clients currently on PI's which I'll be looking to upgrade. So Shields for all is going to be a pricey solution! Smile In my case, I am only intending using them as Kodi clients, they will have no backend stuff as all that lives on my main Server, so I don't want to pay for more than is needed just to achieve 4k DRM.

The UK price for a;
Standard (non pro) 2019 Shield is about £150
Xiaome Mi Box S, about £55
Amazon Fire Stick 4K, about £40
Google Chomecast Ultra, £50

I don't think there are any other significant options that at Netflix 4K certified.

If just using this as a 4K Kodi client, it does feel the Shield is over priced since it is over specified and featured for those needs. I have a feeling it will be a much better device that the others, but only worth it if using it to it's full potential, which I will not be, as to me it's just a route to 4K DRM content. So it would appear for me, it's between the other 3.

Of those, the lack of USB ports make me pulled towards the Mi Box S. Main reason being, remote/keyboard. After much searching and trying different things I have found the best remote/keyboard to be the Wechip, it has a nice normal remote on once side, keyboard on back, and an IR power for turning other TV on/off, so all in all is good fit and it currently on all my PI clients. So could continue using those if I went the Mi Box way.

Does anyone have any comment regarding the pros/cons of the last 3 or any I may have missed?

I am basing this on installing a launcher app, and having them all boot to Kodi. I assume all support this?

Comments guys? Smile

So, I'm guessing (assuming) each of that could be set to autoboot into Kodi?
I have a 4K firestick. I am quite pleased with the speed through the menus. I did try an app called launch on boot, I just boot it up normally now. 

The lack of storage, will be an issue if you have a large kodi library, or want other apps.

You can add storage via an otg cable & memory stick. You would need to google for intructions, it's a bit convoluted. 

I can't comment on the other devices. Nearly forgot, if wifi is not good enough you can use a usb to lan adapter, again through an otg cable, Depending on how many things you have, decides the particular otg cable. Very cheap from Ali Express.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - biau - 2021-01-27

Hi all,
I'm using kodi on tv, a videoprojector and a tablet.
All of them sharing the same database.
My tablet is an old galaxy note 10.1 and I would like to change it.
I couldn't find any advice for a tablet, do you have anything in your mind?

(2021-01-27, 13:31)biau Wrote: Hi all,
will you use the tablet for playback?  at home? or remote?

I'm asking, but don't really have much of an idea.

I did have an apple ipad, which I used to play movies over plex when I was in hospital. But they are very expensive.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - biau - 2021-01-27

(2021-01-27, 13:44)bubblegum57 Wrote:
(2021-01-27, 13:31)biau Wrote: Hi all,
will you use the tablet for playback?  at home? or remote?

I'm asking, but don't really have much of an idea.

I did have an apple ipad, which I used to play movies over plex when I was in hospital. But they are very expensive.

Yes it's for using at home so direct connection with the nas.
I use it when working on the treadmill.