Kodi Community Forum
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) (/showthread.php?tid=252916)

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Jan 2017) - JustAnotherUser - 2017-01-06

Surely your answer lies in post #1 ?

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Jan 2017) - TheHulk - 2017-01-06

Hi

I was reading the first post with interest and have a simple question.

First my situation:
- I have a perfectly installed PC with a newly installed win 10 (most advanced version)
- I have kodi 16.x
- It is an AMD but everything but I really mean everything can play on it (every format I want, it plays it)
- I installed the bonjour service and can use my Ipad to remotely connect to kodi and browse through the interface
- the PC is connected with ethernet, and the ipad goes via wifi to the router and then to the PC over ethernet
- I play all content on a beamer
- audio is a simple stereo plug

Now I want to relocate the PC somewhere else, and I just want to use it to stream movies, series (server) via ethernet to some kind of Box that acts as a client
So all my content is on the PC, except for the stuff that comes streaming from the internet like trailers and so on

So what kind of media box / SOC do I need so I can like now, just play anything I throw at it?

I do not understand if for example the client can not play HVEC, and the server that runs Kodi just streams it to the media box / Soc (that also runs kodi)
that it will just play, because it just streams data that just gets displayed. OR it does not display since the client does not understand the signal and is not able to play HVEC.

So I do not understand what works or what does not work between a server that streams, and a client that receives and just passes it through to my beamer?

thanks

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Jan 2017) - pacemaker1000 - 2017-01-06

Apologies as haven't read whole thread but expect to get best information on first page post. Yet there is no answer to the question on what is to me the most important one:
Which boxes wil do and switch auto to...23.976?

I cannot watch video without this option and therefore use an Intel Nuc and rpi, but would love to know what else I can recommend to friends.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Jan 2017) - TheHulk - 2017-01-06

(2017-01-06, 15:20)pacemaker1000 Wrote: Apologies as haven't read whole thread but expect to get best information on first page post. Yet there is no answers question on what is to me the most important one:
Which boxes wil do and switch auto to...23.976?

I cannot watch video without this option and therefore use an Intel Nuc and rpi, but would love to know what else I can recommend to friends.

I currently also are stuck with a windows PC, and although big it just works!

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Jan 2017) - Kundalini - 2017-01-06

(2017-01-06, 09:39)Jeffers24 Wrote:
(2017-01-06, 09:34)Kundalini Wrote: Hi NickR - thanks for your reply.

As mentioned it seems my MXQ S905 OTT box is a lemon - perhaps the bundled remote is faulty, or the IR receiver in my box is faulty - or maybe there's something wrong with some other part of the box or even the firmware itself (though I did a full factory reset & re-installed kodi-16.1-Jarvis-armeabi-v7a.apk - but no improvement).
Basically the box is mostly unresponsive to commands from the included remote control & regularly freezes. The additional bundled wireless keyboard would not pair either.

So unless someone in the Kodi community is familiar with this type of problem & can advise an easy remedy I reckon it's time to send the OTT box to e-waste & take the forum's recommendation for a a reliable, easy to use Kodi box.

Any further thoughts considering the above comments would be greatly appreciated Smile

If you have a smart phone install Kodi remote app 'Kore', once Kodi is loaded try that as the remote.

If you know someone with the same box use your remote on their box and their remote on your box.

If you know someone who has a third party remote with dongle, try that in your box.

Thanks Jeffers24 - the extra wireless keyboard that was bundled with the box (part of the reason I bought the package) wouldn't pair either so I suspect that it's the box not the remote. Regardless your advise is intelligent so I'll try the Kore app Smile

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Jan 2017) - Kundalini - 2017-01-06

(2016-12-30, 04:36)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-12-29, 14:35)DummyPLUG Wrote: FI am looking for a small box (size about a Android TV box) which able to handle x264 10bit and hevc, is there any suggestion? I found most soc not able to hardware decode x264 10bit, and I don't know those Intel base Chromebox fast enough for software decide.
I heard that some rockchip able to hardware decode x264 10bit but some say it not smooth at all, did anyone have experience on those soc?

h.264 10-bit (aka Hi-10P) will never be hardware accelerated, so you need something with enough CPU power to decode it. I recently picked up a Core i7 Chromebox which can handle all h.264/HEVC 10-bit just fine at 1080p (and I have an extra one available since a buyer backed out)

Hi Matt Devo - as I'm a newby I'm not permitted to PM or email you - am interested to know more about your spare Core i7 Chromebox. Do you want to chat here or can you PM me?

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Jan 2017) - Matt Devo - 2017-01-06

(2017-01-06, 16:01)Kundalini Wrote: Hi Matt Devo - as I'm a newby I'm not permitted to PM or email you - am interested to know more about your spare Core i7 Chromebox. Do you want to chat here or can you PM me?

PM'ed you with my email address

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Jan 2017) - nickr - 2017-01-08

(2017-01-06, 15:12)TheHulk Wrote: Hi

I was reading the first post with interest and have a simple question.

First my situation:
- I have a perfectly installed PC with a newly installed win 10 (most advanced version)
- I have kodi 16.x
- It is an AMD but everything but I really mean everything can play on it (every format I want, it plays it)
- I installed the bonjour service and can use my Ipad to remotely connect to kodi and browse through the interface
- the PC is connected with ethernet, and the ipad goes via wifi to the router and then to the PC over ethernet
- I play all content on a beamer
- audio is a simple stereo plug

Now I want to relocate the PC somewhere else, and I just want to use it to stream movies, series (server) via ethernet to some kind of Box that acts as a client
So all my content is on the PC, except for the stuff that comes streaming from the internet like trailers and so on

So what kind of media box / SOC do I need so I can like now, just play anything I throw at it?

I do not understand if for example the client can not play HVEC, and the server that runs Kodi just streams it to the media box / Soc (that also runs kodi)
that it will just play, because it just streams data that just gets displayed. OR it does not display since the client does not understand the signal and is not able to play HVEC.

So I do not understand what works or what does not work between a server that streams, and a client that receives and just passes it through to my beamer?

thanks
kodi is not a server, and even when upnp is used does not transcode. Your client will need to be able to play whatever media you have.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Jan 2017) - badbadbad - 2017-01-08

Hey guys! I made a visual guide for selecting a Kodi device.

This is the closest I could get to organizing the most requested hardware features on Kodi devices, so I'd really appreciate your valuable input on this.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Jan 2017) - wrxtasy - 2017-01-08

Looking good @badbadbad since the last time you PM'd me. Smile

Some suggestions for minor changes:
"Requires simple hacking" to "Requires simple DIY" and

"Requires extensive hacking" to "Requires moderate DIY" - for the Generic LE S905 devices - and maybe change the color to say Purple or Orange.

Generic S905 Android boxes should really stay in red as new ones are mostly sold with buggy AMLogic Marshmallow Firmware.

Leave the Red color as a warning for "buggy" and Avoid devices.

Oh and ODROID C2 is not dual booting, also 4K Netflix needs the TV+AVR to be HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2
The S905X running LibreeELEC can do HDR10 I believe, confirmation needed tho. for that one.

W.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Jan 2017) - barturblits - 2017-01-08

What do you mean with Odroid c2 is not dual booting?
You can multiboot what you want with the c2 even put all os's on one mmc.
Interesting tool at github:

https://github.com/loboris/Odroid-installer/blob/master/README.md

Have not tried it because dont have a odroid yet, but looks very promising.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Jan 2017) - badbadbad - 2017-01-09

(2017-01-08, 19:27)wrxtasy Wrote: Looking good @badbadbad since the last time you PM'd me. Smile

Some suggestions for minor changes:
"Requires simple hacking" to "Requires simple DIY" and

"Requires extensive hacking" to "Requires moderate DIY" - for the Generic LE S905 devices - and maybe change the color to say Purple or Orange.

Generic S905 Android boxes should really stay in red as new ones are mostly sold with buggy AMLogic Marshmallow Firmware.

Leave the Red color as a warning for "buggy" and Avoid devices.

Oh and ODROID C2 is not dual booting, also 4K Netflix needs the TV+AVR to be HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2
The S905X running LibreeELEC can do HDR10 I believe, confirmation needed tho. for that one.

W.

Thanks for the input. I'll reword the color legend's definitions, and try to separate LE Generic S905 from Android Generic S905.

Regarding the new color code for LE Generic S905/X devices. Is LE fully functional across all generic boxes? Because I know for a fact that Bluetooth and Ethernet can be spotty to non-functional, hence the red marking for buggy to forewarn DIY users. Android Generic boxes are much worse, but would probably still fall under buggy.

To save on thread space, I'll just update the photo in my original post.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Jan 2017) - wrxtasy - 2017-01-09

(2017-01-08, 20:20)barturblits Wrote: What do you mean with Odroid c2 is not dual booting?

Yes I have used that in the past, but its not Newb friendly AND you need to have a C2 Linux image up and running first to run the Loboris scripts to create Multiboot. Its not what I would classify as easy Multi Boot.
I personally would not include it in the Dual boot list until proper testing is done or we start distributing complete multiboot images that can easily be flashed.

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Jan 2017) - barturblits - 2017-01-09

(2017-01-09, 03:59)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-01-08, 20:20)barturblits Wrote: What do you mean with Odroid c2 is not dual booting?

Yes I have used that in the past, but its not Newb friendly AND you need to have a C2 Linux image up and running first to run the Loboris scripts to create Multiboot. Its not what I would classify as easy Multi Boot.
I personally would not include it in the Dual boot list until proper testing is done or we start distributing complete multiboot images that can easily be flashed.

Aha ok, thanks. It was unclear that this software runs on the C2 itself. I thought you could run it from a different linux pc, create the custom image and then flash it on the emmc. I am still in the process of deciding between a Wetek Play2 or Odroid C2. I prefer a triple boot with Libreelec/kodi, volumio and Ubuntu/debian but I might need android for a comfortable Netflix experience, not sure how user friendly it works on Libreelec.

Does anyone know what audio DAC the Wetek Play2 is using for analog/AV output?

RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Jan 2017) - wrxtasy - 2017-01-09

(2017-01-09, 11:53)barturblits Wrote: Aha ok, thanks. It was unclear that this software runs on the C2 itself. I thought you could run it from a different linux pc, create the custom image and then flash it on the emmc.
That may still be possible if someone tests it out...

Quote:I am still in the process of deciding between a Wetek Play2 or Odroid C2. I prefer a triple boot with Libreelec/kodi, volumio and Ubuntu/debian but I might need android for a comfortable Netflix experience, not sure how user friendly it works on Libreelec.

Does anyone know what audio DAC the Wetek Play2 is using for analog/AV output?
* wrxtasy * physically looks at the Play2 just to be sure..... yep.... there is no analog AV output socket on the Play2.

Even using USB2 DAC's is mostly troublesome with the old Linux Kernels on LE AMLogic gear, unless you find someone using a specific DAC without issues.
The C2's HiFi Shield2 had reports of it working out of the box on early versions of LE 7.x Jarvis.
I have not seen test reports for quite a while now with recent versions. It would pay to ask on the HardKernel forums if interested.