Kodi Community Forum
Release Kanzi: Amazon Alexa skill for Kodi - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Release Kanzi: Amazon Alexa skill for Kodi (/showthread.php?tid=254502)

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - jingai - 2018-02-20

Well.. did you call zappa init like it's telling you?

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - techbiznis - 2018-02-20

Yes, but I just realized I got this error.

File "c:\users\kodimedia\kodi-alexa\venv\lib\encodings\cp1252.py", line 23, in decode
    return codecs.charmap_decode(input,self.errors,decoding_table)[0]
UnicodeDecodeError: 'charmap' codec can't decode byte 0x81 in position 308: character maps to <undefined>

fixed problem with utf=8 encoding

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - techbiznis - 2018-02-20

Similar problem as captainfearlessgetting error "There was a problem with the requested skill's response" and error "There was an error calling the remote endpoint, which returned HTTP 500 : Internal Server Error" when attempting to test the skill.
 using Windows and AWS setup. Cannot figure out what is causing the problem help is much appreciated.

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - jingai - 2018-02-22

Both of those error messages are just general failures that don't tell us anything.  It's a computer's way of saying, "something went wrong, but I don't know what."

Please follow the official README carefully.  I cannot vouch for any third-party guides.

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - techbiznis - 2018-02-22

Thank you for the reply jingai.

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - techbiznis - 2018-02-22

(2018-02-20, 10:10)techbiznis Wrote: Similar problem as captainfearlessgetting error "There was a problem with the requested skill's response" and error "There was an error calling the remote endpoint, which returned HTTP 500 : Internal Server Error" when attempting to test the skill.
 using Windows and AWS setup. Cannot figure out what is causing the problem help is much appreciated.
 Fixed, in my case I need to learn to read from step 1, used Python 3.6 instead of Python 2.7. In my world, I assumed the latest version of Python was okay, not the case.
Thanks again jingai for not making me feel ignored and making me realize I needed to reread from the beginning.

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - jjmediaman - 2018-03-01

Just installed. Thanks to the author for all the hard work figuring this out. No errors yet, but still learning the "language of Alexa."

I am using HDHomerun addon to watch broadcast TV. Is there a way to have Alexa control this application, choosing channels, dvr settings. etc?

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - jingai - 2018-03-02

(2018-03-01, 20:26)jjmediaman Wrote: Just installed. Thanks to the author for all the hard work figuring this out. No errors yet, but still learning the "language of Alexa."

I am using HDHomerun addon to watch broadcast TV. Is there a way to have Alexa control this application, choosing channels, dvr settings. etc?
 There is no PVR support in this skill.

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - sandstheman - 2018-03-03

Just got this up and running last night (Lambda, S3 cache) and worked brilliantly for watching movies....that is until I reconfigured it for a second Kodi instance.

Initial setup was for Bedroom which worked without any problems, when I integrated Kodi in the Living Room, started getting some odd behaviour, 9 times out of 10 it would play a completely different movie to the one requested, but it worked fine still in the bedroom.

A little digging around and discovered a gotcha when setting up for multiple kodi instances and the caching.  In my setup each instance maintains it's own library, rather than using a central mysql database for a shared library.  What this means is that the libraries in each instance are not the same, they will internally assign different ID's for the same movie.  So id 99 might be Avatar on one instance but it could be Terminator 2 on another instance.

So what was happening was the responses for the bedroom instance were being cached to S3 (i.e. the Movie name and it's ID i assume) so when i tried to get the same movie to play in the living room, it was getting the ID from the cached response which in the living room was associated with a completely different movie, and thus would end up playing something else.

The quick fix i found was to disable caching, but in the longer term i'll test setting up separate s3 caches, one for each instance, or move back to having a shared MYSQL database for all the instances so the ID's are consistent.

Once i untangled that, it's now working perfectly in the living room as well :-)

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - mrripply - 2018-03-04

Hey lads, just installed this , is there a way to use add-ons?

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - rclabs - 2018-03-07

I'm struggling to get this setup; any help would be greatly appreciated. Paul Hibbard has done a youtube video on how to install and I've followed the steps there (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9lKLGTfQFU)

I've got right to the end but am told by Alexa, "Could not find all the connection information I need. Please check your kodi.config file." I think the details in that file are correct as the slot generator worked OK.

Is there any way to see the JSON output from the skill/AWS bucket (I'm not sure where the JSON will be created) that will show me the web address it is trying to send to? I'm using reverse proxy and think this could be the issue.

Thanks in advance,
rclabs

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - juan11perez - 2018-03-09

Good day, I'd like to attempt self-hosting the skill. I run a local server for home automation and would like to implement there. can someone share some instructions for this? Thank you

Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - jingai - 2018-03-10

@rclabs it's telling you very specifically where to look: kodi.config

Something about your config is incomplete or isn't parsing.

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - rclabs - 2018-03-10

@jingai

Thanks for the reply. I've taken a good look through there and can't see any issues, in addition, the slot generator connects to the web interface with no problem so I think it should be o.k.

It would be useful to see the 'output' (not sure if that's the right word) of the Alexa skill to the AWS bucket and, assuming that is O.K. the 'output' that tries to send a command to my webUI. It should help me pinpoint where the issue is.

Thanks,
rclabs

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - QueenBuzzo - 2018-03-13

Hello, 

I have some problems settings up the Alexa Skill for Kodi and I'm out ideas now. I was able to set up python, zappa, etc., but now I have problems setting up the rest in the Amazon Developer backend. I was able to add all slots, but adding the intentschema isn't working for me. I get "Intent name must not be empty. Error code: MissingIntentName" all the time. The interface of Amazon Developer looks different to all the screenshots in the various tutorials I have found and it seems that it is not possible to bulk insert slots and intents anymore. Adding slots was working fine for me (wrote a little program to get a JSON file), but adding the intentschema.json is not working the same way.

I hope someone has some information about it and might be able help out.

Edit: I've found the solution. I needed to opt-out of the new skill builder and have now the old interface and was able to set everything up.

Thanks,
QueenBuzzo