Kodi Community Forum
Release Kanzi: Amazon Alexa skill for Kodi - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Release Kanzi: Amazon Alexa skill for Kodi (/showthread.php?tid=254502)

Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - jouster - 2017-01-04

(2017-01-04, 14:22)davo2001 Wrote:
(2017-01-04, 13:48)jouster Wrote:
(2017-01-04, 13:43)davo2001 Wrote: Hi all,

Sorry for the stupid question but i have to ask it anyways.
My setup is 2xDots.

Kodi is setup via a raspberry pi, connected into the TV via HDMI, Kodi gets TVs, Movies etc via DLNA from a NAS on the same network.

Will this setup work for me?

When i use https://slot-generator.herokuapp.com/ to populate the lists it only finds ADDONS, not MOVIES, MUSIC etc.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work as your setup is the same as mine with different (but similar) kit.

I did mine with AWS and Lambda and the teething issues I had were down to my ENV file which has some issues. I used a fresh copy and it worked first try.

With regards to the generator I can't imagine why it would see the add ons but not your media. Can you access the media via the webUI.

Sent from my iPhone (typie typie)

Thanks for the quick reply, yes i can access the contents from the webGUI in Kodi without issue, I used the same method (AWS and lambda), the skill appears in "My Skills" in the alexa app but when i ask it to play something it says something about an error in recurrsive fault (sorry, not at home at the moment but can check for the exact error later)

I'm not sure to be honest as mine worked when I used a fresh ENV file.

Have you opened your ports up? Have you got a static IP for the device?

Sent from my iPhone

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - davo2001 - 2017-01-04

(2017-01-04, 14:24)jouster Wrote: I'm not sure to be honest as mine worked when I used a fresh ENV file.

Have you opened your ports up? Have you got a static IP for the device?
Sent from my iPhone (typie typie)

Yeah, static IP setup for all the devices on the LAN via the router, also have a static WAN IP also, the port used for the process is open successfully.

Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - jouster - 2017-01-04

That is a strange one then.

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks for the feedback, if anyone has any ideas then let me know.

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - nsviper - 2017-01-04

He meant do you have a static external ip, alexa talks to amazon, so your pi must be visible from the outside world for this to work...

(2017-01-04, 19:24)nsviper Wrote: He meant do you have a static external ip, alexa talks to amazon, so your pi must be visible from the outside world for this to work...

Thanks, WAN IP = external IP so yes. I can play / pause / fast forward and rewind a movie via Alexa, if I ask it what is playing it will tell me the correct file name but it just won't see / play and movie or TV show, I have to manually select them from the kodi remote.

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - jingai - 2017-01-04

davo2001, how are you asking for a movie?

(2017-01-04, 21:21)jingai Wrote: davo2001, how are you asking for a movie?

"Alexa, ask the living room to play 2001 a space Odyssey"

You need to specify the media type. We're working on making generic commands work, but for now, you'd say something like:

"Alexa, ask the living room to watch the movie 2001 a space odyssey" or
"Alexa, ask the living room to play the movie 2001 a space odyssey"

(2017-01-04, 21:31)jingai Wrote: You need to specify the media type. We're working on making generic commands work, but for now, you'd say something like:

"Alexa, ask the living room to watch the movie 2001 a space odyssey" or
"Alexa, ask the living room to play the movie 2001 a space odyssey"

Thanks for the response:

I get the error from Alexa "error passing information"

I'd need to see the skill log when it fails to help.

Also, check your Cards in the Alexa app and see that she heard you correctly. The card text should indicate that it's trying to play a movie with that name.

(2017-01-04, 21:42)jingai Wrote: I'd need to see the skill log when it fails to help.

Also, check your Cards in the Alexa app and see that she heard you correctly. The card text should indicate that it's trying to play a movie with that name.

It seems to understand the request alright, see link below, how do I get the logs to you, thanks for the help.

https://imgur.com/gallery/aRkJP

You need to get the server logs from wherever you're hosting the skill. For Lambda, I've been told it's on something called "Cloudwatch".

OK, got them, I cant seem to send a PM, i assume because I'm a new member Sad

You can scrub out the personal info and post them here. IP, skill ID, etc should be scrubbed.