Kodi Community Forum
Release Kanzi: Amazon Alexa skill for Kodi - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Release Kanzi: Amazon Alexa skill for Kodi (/showthread.php?tid=254502)

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - User 270783 - 2017-01-27

I consider myself fairly computer literate even if I really have no knowledge of coding. I was hoping between the tutorials I found I'd be able to figure this out. My first hurdle was not being able to deploy the code via my laptop so I borrowed a friends and have now successfully deployed it.

Both guides I've followed have screenshots that are different to what's actually on Amazon when setting up the certifications of the skill. I've glossed over that and no dice.

Is there likely to be a more user friendly and up to date tutorial on how to do this, or are you guys working on an easier way to set up the script?

I would happily pay money for this if I knew it would work.

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - jingai - 2017-01-27

@sphirst, I could probably help you if I had any idea what's going wrong for you. I need some details regarding what part you're stuck on.

Setting this up will likely not get much easier as it's not likely that Amazon would allow such a skill in their store. That's the reason for the difficulty: you're setting it up as a developer. If you're not actually a developer, a lot of this can seem overwhelming, but there's not much we can do about that.

The video tutorial posted by MrWolf is about as simple as you'll find I think; unfortunately, the setup is about to change quite a bit, which will render the 3rd-party guides obsolete. For this reason, I do recommend you at least read the README on github whenever you install or update and give authority to it over a 3rd party guide if there are any conflicts.

Because this involves personally identifying information and creating accounts on web services, none of us can do this for you. If you have a local friend or just someone in general you really trust, you could have them help you.. but I'd highly recommend against simply paying a stranger for it.

(2017-01-26, 23:44)djcyph Wrote: are these shows stored locally or are you using add-ons like exodus? how does it bypass selecting links with voice if so?

Exodus is a banned addon (wiki). It is forbidden to talk about it here.

Furthermore, the skill will only work with media you own and have stored locally. They can be on a NAS or whatever, but you need direct access to the files.

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - jluce50 - 2017-01-27

I'm stuck on deploying the the lamba to AWS from my pc. I run "C:\Python27\Scripts\lambda-deploy.exe deploy" and it completes with the follwing:

Code:
Updating kodi-alexa lambda
Successfully deployed kodi-alexa version 4

However, when I go to the Lambda page and click on "Functions" the kodi-alexa function is not there. I'm at a total loss here. Any idea why it's not showing up?

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - digiltd - 2017-01-27

(2017-01-27, 03:19)jluce50 Wrote: I'm stuck on deploying the the lamba to AWS from my pc. I run "C:\Python27\Scripts\lambda-deploy.exe deploy" and it completes with the following:

Code:
Updating kodi-alexa lambda
Successfully deployed kodi-alexa version 4

However, when I go to the Lambda page and click on "Functions" the kodi-alexa function is not there. I'm at a total loss here. Any idea why it's not showing up?

Is the AWS region you are looking at (found in the top right of AWS console between "your name" and "Support") matching the region set in your .env file?

You should be running
Code:
python deploy-to-lambda.py
to deploy as per the readme. It shouldn't make a big difference as they both do similar things, but without it you upload a load of stuff that isn't needed. So it is best to deploy using the script.

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - sausageman - 2017-01-27

Is there a sneak preview of what v2.5 will include?

Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - rmohsen - 2017-01-27

Hello , I have everything setup correctly , I can control kodi , navigate but I can't play any videos , Alexa can see my movies and tv shows because when I ask what are my new movies it tells me but whenever I try to play anything it says " video is not supported on this device " please help

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - digiltd - 2017-01-27

(2017-01-27, 12:03)rmohsen Wrote: Hello , I have everything setup correctly , I can control kodi , navigate but I can't play any videos , Alexa can see my movies and tv shows because when I ask what are my new movies it tells me but whenever I try to play anything it says " video is not supported on this device " please help

What is the full command are you using when trying to play a video?

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - jluce50 - 2017-01-27

(2017-01-27, 05:08)digiltd Wrote: Is the AWS region you are looking at (found in the top right of AWS console between "your name" and "Support") matching the region set in your .env file?

Yup, that was it. Rolleyes

(2017-01-27, 05:08)digiltd Wrote: You should be running
Code:
python deploy-to-lambda.py
to deploy as per the readme. It shouldn't make a big difference as they both do similar things, but without it you upload a load of stuff that isn't needed. So it is best to deploy using the script.

Good to know. I was going off the guide on HowToGeek.com, which is probably a bit out of date, and only found this thread when I was searching for a solution to the problem.

Thanks!

(2017-01-27, 13:59)digiltd Wrote:
(2017-01-27, 12:03)rmohsen Wrote: Hello , I have everything setup correctly , I can control kodi , navigate but I can't play any videos , Alexa can see my movies and tv shows because when I ask what are my new movies it tells me but whenever I try to play anything it says " video is not supported on this device " please help

What is the full command are you using when trying to play a video?

I use " Alexa , ask Kodi to play movie fences " it didn't work but i tried again after my post and worked with " Die Hard " basic commands working fine , play , pause and navigation but music or videos doesn't work at all. Worked a couple of times with certain movies and shows.

(2017-01-27, 17:14)rmohsen Wrote: I use " Alexa , ask Kodi to play movie fences " it didn't work but i tried again after my post and worked with " Die Hard " basic commands working fine , play , pause and navigation but music or videos doesn't work at all. Worked a couple of times with certain movies and shows.

How many movies do you have in your MOVIES slot?

Could you try "Alexa, ask Kodi to watch movie Fences"? It should work with "play movie" too, but let's see if you get different results with "watch movie".

(2017-01-27, 17:57)jingai Wrote:
(2017-01-27, 17:14)rmohsen Wrote: I use " Alexa , ask Kodi to play movie fences " it didn't work but i tried again after my post and worked with " Die Hard " basic commands working fine , play , pause and navigation but music or videos doesn't work at all. Worked a couple of times with certain movies and shows.

How many movies do you have in your MOVIES slot?

Could you try "Alexa, ask Kodi to watch movie Fences"? It should work with "play movie" too, but let's see if you get different results with "watch movie".

Thanks a lot , it worked better with " watch movie " but I get different responses , sometimes video is not supported on this device , other times Alexa can't find the skill or just no reply at all. Same with TV shows and music. I have around 1300 movie in my library

I'm honestly not sure.. you're not the only one complaining about this, but I can't see how the skill itself could be to blame Sad

watch gallery

This screen is not like the screenshots in the readme.

How do I sync it up to my amazon echo?

Does it do it automatically somehow?