Kodi Community Forum
Release Kanzi: Amazon Alexa skill for Kodi - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Release Kanzi: Amazon Alexa skill for Kodi (/showthread.php?tid=254502)

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - popy - 2017-02-23

Hey guys.

I have now running two skills and two lambda functions.
Have made several changes (some are dirty) to get the following working:
  • german "umlaute"
  • better match on some utterances (changed the matchheared function)
  • switch pvr channels
  • start recording of current channel
  • open guide
  • open pvrosdguide
  • support CurrentPlayItemInquiry for PVR (channel type)

this works really good now for me and i will try to make pull requests on git soon Big Grin

Another question to lambda.
The priing site is very confusing: https://aws.amazon.com/lambda/pricing/?nc1=h_ls

I cant find out if lambda is free also after the 12 months or not?
But here is a sentence which states its also free after the 12 months:

"The Lambda free tier does not automatically expire at the end of your 12 month AWS Free Tier term, but is available to both existing and new AWS customers indefinitely."

Very confusing!!
Anyone which can "translate" the confusing pricing to me? Huh

On the other hand, are there any other "completely" free options in terms of py functions for alexa skill?

thx
pOpY

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - digiltd - 2017-02-24

(2017-02-23, 21:09)popy Wrote: On the other hand, are there any other "completely" free options in terms of py functions for alexa skill?

I wouldn't worry about it, the allowance is pretty generous.

First 1 million requests per month are free
$0.20 per 1 million requests thereafter ($0.0000002 per request)

That's 32,000 requests to your Skill every day Smile

The 2.5 version uses an additional AWS service (Amazon API Gateway) and it is being triggered every 4 minutes to keep it awake. I have had 2,5 running since new year and a $0.04 charge has appeared on my AWS bill. Though I am not sure that is directly related to this kodi skill or some other messing about I have been doing. But I am keeping an eye on it.

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - Camillej - 2017-02-24

(2017-02-22, 01:05)thismustbeok Wrote: update!!!
all i had to do was update to the WAN ip address and it is all working SmileSmile

Can you please help me I am having the same issue.Huh
**figured it out**

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - Camillej - 2017-02-24

Do the custom slots have to consists of items in your local library? I am running on fire tv and use for only streaming. The only content I have is for addons. When I try to save on the amazon developer site it gives me an error that I am missing slots. What can I do to work around this?

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - popy - 2017-02-24

(2017-02-24, 01:15)digiltd Wrote:
(2017-02-23, 21:09)popy Wrote: On the other hand, are there any other "completely" free options in terms of py functions for alexa skill?

I wouldn't worry about it, the allowance is pretty generous.

First 1 million requests per month are free
$0.20 per 1 million requests thereafter ($0.0000002 per request)

That's 32,000 requests to your Skill every day Smile

The 2.5 version uses an additional AWS service (Amazon API Gateway) and it is being triggered every 4 minutes to keep it awake. I have had 2,5 running since new year and a $0.04 charge has appeared on my AWS bill. Though I am not sure that is directly related to this kodi skill or some other messing about I have been doing. But I am keeping an eye on it.

ok thx for clearing things up.
So i will stay on the AWS lambda way Wink

pOpY

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - jingai - 2017-02-24

(2017-02-24, 02:43)Camillej Wrote: Do the custom slots have to consists of items in your local library? I am running on fire tv and use for only streaming. The only content I have is for addons. When I try to save on the amazon developer site it gives me an error that I am missing slots. What can I do to work around this?
The skill is made for playing back local content.

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - DoubleT - 2017-02-25

Couple of feature requests - may have been asked for previously but couldn't see anything on search.

being able to search YouTube (ask kodi to search YouTube for xxx)
is it possible when asking about new movies and new tv shows to just read the recently added playlist? not sure what its source is currently
or to be able to activate the recently added shows window
CEC Control (ask kodi to turn the TV On or Off)

EDIT: looking at the code i think i can implement at least the showing recently added tv shows on screen & cec option myself. if i manage i'll send over a PR
EDIT2:
Trying to translate this working API call into python friendly command that could sit in the kodi.py file
Code:
{"jsonrpc":"2.0","id":2,"method":"GUI.ActivateWindow","params":{"window":"videos","parameters":["RecentlyAddedEpisodes"]}}
Code:
def ShowNewTVShows():
  return SendCommand(RPCString("GUI.ActivateWindow", ("params":{"window":"videos","parameters":["RecentlyAddedEpisodes"]})))
Am i on the right tracks?
It didn't work on first try, but suspect i've missed the required amendments in wsgi.py (only just found that and its importance, and out of time for a few hours now) or formatted the above incorrectly.
Im no developer (probably obvious) but feel im not to far away from getting this working.

Thanks again for a great setup - its been rock solid since i installed it and just got the parents up and running with it last night using a Dot - they are very pleased and now want it for every TV in the house.

EDIT3: Just seen all the changes in-flight up at GitHub. Sure my questions and changes are not too welcome at this stage of development.
Im going to continue working on this at home and when i have it running i'll send it all over so you can choose whether to bring it in or not.

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - jingai - 2017-02-27

@DoubleT,

I have it on my list to support commanding addons with the skill, but I want to do it in the most generic way I can. It would be a nightmare to support all of the individual addons. Something like a plugin architecture might be the way to go.. but as you've noted, we have a lot of foundation changes we're making at the moment and I just haven't given this the thought it needs to do properly.

As for the definition of 'New,' it can mean either 'newly added' or 'never watched'. In the skill, we've decided it means 'never watched,' mostly because Kodi isn't really like a DVR. I might add an entire series from 1972 at any point, but that certainly doesn't mean it's a new show.

So, when you ask for new media in the skill, we return a random subset of unwatched media. If you ask for new media again, you'll get a different subset of randomly chosen media.

It's hard to cater to how everyone uses Kodi, especially with a voice interface. Personally, we have about 100 unwatched movies and a lot more unwatched shows at the moment. We treat 'new' more like 'new-to-us.'

Probably the best way to go about catering to those of you that tend to watch your media right after adding it would be to add a configuration option to change the definition of 'new' within the skill. Your best bet at the moment would be create an Issue on github outlining that you'd like this to happen. If you want to start work on it, just fork and make a branch for it and point us at it in the Issue's comments.

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - DoubleT - 2017-02-27

Thanks for such a full reply Jingai, much appreciated.
+1 for config flag to specifiy last added, rather than never watched would be great!

Completely take your point about how different people use kodi differently and then adding voice control as well - i imagine its a nightmare to keep everyone happy.

Looking forward to the upcoming changes, and with a bit of luck i'll submit some code for you.

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - sirius1979black - 2017-02-27

Hi guys

Just want to say awesome work

To the devs , who is behind this skill

One thing I'm wondering if possible

If someone could add or do

A scrip for trakt , so we could use our library

Thanks again for this

Look forward to hear from you

I sent this here incase I put it on the wrong forum

Sorry if this is wrong place

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - Livin - 2017-02-27

(2017-02-27, 18:53)jingai Wrote: @DoubleT,

I have it on my list to support commanding addons with the skill, but I want to do it in the most generic way I can. It would be a nightmare to support all of the individual addons. Something like a plugin architecture might be the way to go.. but as you've noted, we have a lot of foundation changes we're making at the moment and I just haven't given this the thought it needs to do properly.

As for the definition of 'New,' it can mean either 'newly added' or 'never watched'. In the skill, we've decided it means 'never watched,' mostly because Kodi isn't really like a DVR. I might add an entire series from 1972 at any point, but that certainly doesn't mean it's a new show.

So, when you ask for new media in the skill, we return a random subset of unwatched media. If you ask for new media again, you'll get a different subset of randomly chosen media.

It's hard to cater to how everyone uses Kodi, especially with a voice interface. Personally, we have about 100 unwatched movies and a lot more unwatched shows at the moment. We treat 'new' more like 'new-to-us.'

Probably the best way to go about catering to those of you that tend to watch your media right after adding it would be to add a configuration option to change the definition of 'new' within the skill. Your best bet at the moment would be create an Issue on github outlining that you'd like this to happen. If you want to start work on it, just fork and make a branch for it and point us at it in the Issue's comments.
From what I've seen, kodi uses the terms...
'recently added' for items that are new in the library.
'not watched' for library item, not yet watched, no matter what the age

I suggest mimicing kodi terminology anywhere possible. I'd completely avoid using the term 'new'

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - jingai - 2017-02-28

New is what I've found my family naturally uses. I suspect it's what m0ngr31 uses too, as that's the way it was before I started contributing.

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - T800 - 2017-02-28

When I started collecting media, "new" meant something I'd recently acquired whatever the production year. Now I've got a large collection it can easily mean both. I think Livin has a good point. "recently added" and "unwatched" as the terms would follow Kodi, Emby, Plex terminology.
If new was asked maybe it could ask the user to decide which one of them it meant.

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - bill_orange - 2017-03-01

All I am getting today is "there is a problem communicating with the requested skill" Is the US-East lambda server down?

RE: Amazon Echo skill for Kodi - jingai - 2017-03-01

AWS US-EAST-1 (and maybe others) are having issues today.