Kodi Community Forum
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options (/showthread.php?tid=255686)

RE: Budget AML S905 Boxes Shootout! - dukester - 2016-01-23

(2016-01-23, 18:40)hdmkv Wrote:
(2016-01-22, 15:43)dukester Wrote:
(2016-01-22, 15:18)hdmkv Wrote: Have a link to Alex/Kerber's OpenELEC/Kodi work on GitHub? If he is compliant, I'll restore the Beelink Mini MX bits pertaining to his build only in post #1. Thanks.

i have the links to his git, yes. but i dont really care about sharing them, not my place to defend something when no defense is needed.Also I dont think his git is updated for that build yet so he might as well be Vidon since hes probably technically in violation. which is funny because hes using Koyings xbmc fork
As dukester doesn't want to provide links, anyone have GitHub links? Have no idea where to look.

i wasnt hiding anything, i just dont think it really matters much, https://github.com/surkovalex/ is what he posted as his github on xbmc.ru in his old thread regarding the s8xx stuff.. i think its pretty much a given this build isn't violating anything but its also clear that regardless of that, the box comes stock with android and an app that could install add-ons which makes it basically banned or taboo to speak about apparently. Koying was willing to put a build together for more 3D testing.. can we just test it and move forward?

RE: Budget AML S905 Boxes Shootout! - DrJogalog - 2016-01-23

(2016-01-23, 16:46)hdmkv Wrote:
(2016-01-23, 12:45)DrJogalog Wrote: I think 3D immersion is very, very subjective. Some people are more susceptable to the "experience" than others. Much like hypnotism or the old magic eye pictures. Some people's brain and sensory perception allow them to feel much more involved and consumed by the visual stimulation, where as others don't. Yes, we can all see the "3D effect" to some extent but some way more than others.
Maybe for 3D movies with light to medium 3D effects. I've had many family members, relatives & guests over and demo 3D sequences from different movies... everyone's always impressed. Unless they're all susceptible to hypnotism Wink. A big screen helps. A good system helps. Good active glasses help.

I'm not saying I am not impressed, I am saying it is subjective and better for some but not others. I don't think you are missing out on anything if you watch it in 2D with a good screen and surround sound. In my opinion, the audio set-up out trumps 3D by a long long way.

RE: Budget AML S905 Boxes Shootout! - hdmkv - 2016-01-23

@dukester, thanks for the link. I'll redo post #1 later with Beelink Mini MX's OpenELEC development, and with Zidoo X5 if they've shared source & Minix U1 w/o VidOn.

(2016-01-23, 19:08)DrJogalog Wrote: In my opinion, the audio set-up out trumps 3D by a long long way.
I feel the other way around... but wouldn't settle but for lesser audio set-up either.

RE: Budget AML S905 Boxes Shootout! - Ned Scott - 2016-01-23

It was a joke, guys. A ribbing, like when Windows and Linux guys give each other a hard time ;)

I do think 3D was not the commercial success in the livingroom like some TV manufacturers thought it would be. However, that's different than if 3D works at all or not. In the right hands 3D movies are great. Kodi is a power user program, and it targets the kind of user who does want 3D, regardless of how mainstream it is or not. 3D will always have a place in Kodi.

At least until it's replaced by fulldome video. Home planetariums for the win!

RE: Budget AML S905 Boxes Shootout! - hdmkv - 2016-01-23

Did realize it was a joke, but gave an opening to pitch for 3D, so thanks Wink Smile.

When you say "fulldome video", looking at your avatar made me think... ST:TNG's holodecks! Big Grin. Until we have that, 3D will do for now.

RE: Budget AML S905 Boxes Shootout! - movie78 - 2016-01-23

(2016-01-23, 20:50)Ned Scott Wrote: It was a joke, guys. A ribbing, like when Windows and Linux guys give each other a hard time Wink

I do think 3D was not the commercial success in the livingroom like some TV manufacturers thought it would be. However, that's different than if 3D works at all or not. In the right hands 3D movies are great. Kodi is a power user program, and it targets the kind of user who does want 3D, regardless of how mainstream it is or not. 3D will always have a place in Kodi.

At least until it's replaced by fulldome video. Home planetariums for the win!

Don't play like that because some of us are very serious about 3DTongue

RE: Budget AML S905 Boxes Shootout! - noggin - 2016-01-24

(2016-01-23, 01:34)hdmkv Wrote: There are also all the first-rate David Attenborough BBC documentaries. If you haven't watched any of these in 3D, you don't know what you're missing!

David Attenborough's 3D stuff wasn't made by, or for, the BBC. They were made for Sky, the main Pay TV operator in the UK. Sky for a while, had a 3D channel which used to show stuff like the Attenborough docs, live 3D football matches, 3D movies etc. Now they only do 3D via their VOD portal, and have closed the linear channel, and axed all their 3D sport coverage.

The BBC trialled 3D with a few shows - notably Doctor Who and Stritly Come Dancing, along with carrying 3D highlights daily from the London 2012 Olympics (and the Opening Ceremony live in 3D), but the Attenborough 3D stuff was for Sky not the BBC.

RE: Budget AML S905 Boxes Shootout! - hdmkv - 2016-01-24

Ah, you're right... Sky, not BBC. My bad.

RE: Budget AML S905 Boxes Shootout! - noggin - 2016-01-24

(2016-01-24, 17:11)hdmkv Wrote: Ah, you're right... Sky, not BBC. My bad.

No worries. Everybody in the US seems to think the BBC made Downton Abbey too... (They didn't - it was made for ITV, the main commercial channel here, by an independent production company, I think now owned by NBC Universal)

RE: Budget AML S905 Boxes Shootout! - BradD - 2016-01-26

Is this thread getting a little off topic? I keep checking it to see if there is any news about these S905 devices but all I see is a debate about the merits of 3D.....just saying

RE: Budget AML S905 Boxes Shootout! - hdmkv - 2016-01-26

(2016-01-26, 01:55)BradD Wrote: Is this thread getting a little off topic? I keep checking it to see if there is any news about these S905 devices but all I see is a debate about the merits of 3D.....just saying
It is, which has been more fun Wink. Anyway, see post #1... basically, none of these budget S905 boxes are worth it. I'd hold out for Minix U1, or better yet, whatever S905x box WeTek has coming out.

RE: Budget AML S905 Boxes Shootout! - wrxtasy - 2016-01-26

To put the S905's into some sort of context compared to what WeTek are offering in the Core:

S905's additional features over the S812-H (WeTek Core)

- Partial HD Audio Passthrough support.
- The Core will do 7.1 HD Audio decoding to output lossless Multichannel PCM Audio with next Firmware update.
- 4K video output at up to 60Hz
- 10-bit 4K HEVC Hardware decode problems in all current S905 hardware see HERE
- 10 bit video decoding (No Hi10P Anime decoding Support though)
- No 10-bit video output due to lack of video player software support, inc Kodi. It is 8-bit only.
- No Widevine Level 1 approval, including Netflix. So Max 480p Resolution for paid DRM video streaming.
- WeTek are the only guys on S8xx / S9xx Hardware that will have all the necessary approvals, now and into the future.

RE: Budget AML S905 Boxes Shootout! - wesk05 - 2016-01-26

(2016-01-26, 06:50)wrxtasy Wrote: To put the S905's into some sort of context compared to what WeTek are offering in the Core:

S905's additional features over the S812-H (WeTek Core)

- Partial HD Audio Passthrough support.
A small correction. Minix U1 with XBMC for Minix has full HD audio passthrough including Dolby TrueHD & Digital Plus Atmos.

RE: Budget AML S905 Boxes Shootout! - wrxtasy - 2016-01-26

Cheers W, MINIX must have fixed the remaining HD Audio passthrough problems since I last checked.
Would HD Audio passthtough be classified as stable yet, ie after skipping and seeking around in video ?

Does this include fixes for DTS-MA that was causing problems ?

RE: Budget AML S905 Boxes Shootout! - wesk05 - 2016-01-26

(2016-01-26, 08:38)wrxtasy Wrote: Would HD Audio passthtough be classified as stable yet, ie after skipping and seeking around in video ?
Does this include fixes for DTS-MA that was causing problems ?
What kind of problems with DTS-HD Master Audio? Was it reported here or on Minix forum?
Yes, the seek problem is present with Dolby Atmos tracks. I haven't checked the other formats recently. Let me quickly check and will update the post.