Kodi Community Forum
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options (/showthread.php?tid=255686)

RE: Budget AML S905 Boxes Shootout! - wesk05 - 2016-02-11

(2016-02-11, 03:41)hdmkv Wrote: LOL! I'm never satisfied w/avatars or media players Big Grin!

Anyway, thanks, changed to black glasses Wink.

Perfect! Now you (avatar) are all set to watch FHD3D movies Smile

RE: Budget AML S905 Boxes Shootout! - envagyok - 2016-02-11

(2016-02-10, 20:52)droidelec Wrote: I think there is no need for VidOn anymore at all. As CT confirmed, WeTek patch which is based on koying code and later polished solution by fritsch is working good on S8xx and S9xx so no sense that people pay subscription for something what they have for free as it should be.

Kodi, OpenELEC is all about community and open source, where people exchange ideas, commit code and whole community have benefit from that work.

O.K.

I have MiniMX S905, then what rom and kodi version can i use for correct hd audio bitstream?

RE: Budget AML S905 Boxes Shootout! - wrxtasy - 2016-02-11

These ROM's that come in Firmware in actual boxes from MINIX with their U1 or the WeTek Core only. These are the only two that I know of that have the necessary Audio HAL in the Android Lollipop OS for HD Audio passthrough to work out of the box. Both need to run WeTek's Jarvic RC3 mediaplayer version of Kodi for full support.

Unless you want to pay a subscription yearly to VidOn and encourage and support their bad behavior and GPL infringing software. Their 3D has been reverse engineered recently and their business case is rapidly shrinking.

And No, Flashing MINIX or WeTek Firmware on to a S905 will not work either.

RE: Budget AML S905 Boxes Shootout! - envagyok - 2016-02-11

(2016-02-11, 11:54)wrxtasy Wrote: And No, Flashing MINIX or WeTek Firmware on to a S905 will not work either.

Until someone not make a rom for minimx used by minix or wetek rom as source.

RE: Budget AML S905 Boxes Shootout! - wrxtasy - 2016-03-11

I don't know where else to post this but when will Zidoo ever learn. Seriously do they care about Kodi all !

http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/03/06/zidoo-x5-tv-box-review/

Quote:Zidoo has their own port of Kodi which they call ZDMC, which would be the right thing to do to respect Kodi’s trademark, however the device’s package still feature Kodi, and the app itself is called Kodi, and the company gave it the name Kodi 15.3

This will now turn into a Kodi Trademark problem. As I've said before don't trust this company.

RE: Budget AML S905 Boxes Shootout! - hdmkv - 2016-03-11

I noticed ZDMC in latest Zidoo X6 firmware as well. Honestly, I plan to do maybe one last test of X6, then get rid of it. Not trying other boxes unless I read positive things from users here.

Besides trademark, Zidoo has too many boxes and their attention is clearly everywhere = nowhere dedicated. Their support is messy/hacky with rushed firmwares. Promises on product pages are flashy.

RE: Budget AML S905 Boxes Shootout! - wrxtasy - 2016-03-11

Repost from the Kodi Trademark discussion thread, remember folks Firmware on Android boxes is everything especially for newbies..

(2016-03-11, 13:39)phate89 Wrote:
(2016-03-11, 11:15)Gothicawakening Wrote: Wow, from a comment on that site: "While I was talking to one of Chinese engineers and asked why they are pushing their own Kodi on their devices which cannot be upgraded later via Play Store I was told that official Kodi does not support some keys on IR remote. And it’s easier to change keyboard xml firmware and rebuild kodi than investigating how to fix it on firmware level."

Seems fair, can't think of any possible way to add new remote keys to KODI, if only such a feature existed!

That's also the reason because 80% of android based box are terrible.. There's a problem with our firmware? Let's fix kodi instead of our code..

RE: Budget AML S905 Boxes Shootout! - dukester - 2016-03-11

If you install VidOn XBMC and use the android TV launcher their app is still using the KODI Icons and branding 100%, thats even worse imo.

Re: 3D at least, VidOn outputs in 3D mode, but with too many minusses: GPL/trademark issues, no 23.976/24fps (or any framerate switching at all), and the usual reliability issues that have always plagued their releases.

Bottom line is S905 boxes aren't the right boxes for the 3D enthusiast as output will always be half-rez due to SoC limitations... unless AMLogic has addressed this in latest rev.C h/w. Koying might know.

RE: Budget AML S905 Boxes Shootout! - movie78 - 2016-03-11

(2016-03-11, 10:40)wrxtasy Wrote: I don't know where else to post this but when will Zidoo ever learn. Seriously do they care about Kodi all !

http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/03/06/zidoo-x5-tv-box-review/

Quote:Zidoo has their own port of Kodi which they call ZDMC, which would be the right thing to do to respect Kodi’s trademark, however the device’s package still feature Kodi, and the app itself is called Kodi, and the company gave it the name Kodi 15.3

This will now turn into a Kodi Trademark problem. As I've said before don't trust this company.

What is the difference between the ZDMC and WeTek media player?

Maybe just re-branding of their Kodi fork? Don't know if there are agreements between Kodi foundation and Zidoo? W/Minix and WeTek, I'm guessing yes as they're official sponsors.

RE: Budget AML S905 Boxes Shootout! - tiqq2 - 2016-03-11

(2016-03-11, 15:38)hdmkv Wrote: Re: 3D at least, VidOn outputs in 3D mode, but with too many minusses: GPL/trademark issues, no 23.976/24fps (or any framerate switching at all), and the usual reliability issues that have always plagued their releases.

Bottom line is S905 boxes aren't the right boxes for the 3D enthusiast as output will always be half-rez due to SoC limitations... unless AMLogic has addressed this in latest rev.C h/w. Koying might know.

So does that mean even while the state is work in progress they may have no chance to implement it right?

Correct as Koying has said AML can't output in full 3D, even though it can decode MVC fine. But, as upcoming WeTek (and possible other manufacturers) have the latest revision C hardware in S905, maybe AMLogic has fixed 3D for full output?

RE: Budget AML S905 Boxes Shootout! - Koying - 2016-03-11

(2016-03-11, 16:46)hdmkv Wrote: Maybe just re-branding of their Kodi fork? Don't know if there are agreements between Kodi foundation and Zidoo? W/Minix and WeTek, I'm guessing yes as they're official sponsors.

Kodi has nothing to do with their respective forks (although individuals might), nor has any special "agreements" with the sponsors.
Zidoo is RK, while Wetek is AML, so their goals and patches are different...

So, as long as they comply w/GPL rules, they're free (as far as foundation is concerned) to rebrand Kodi to ZDMC, XBMC for Minix, etc.?