Kodi Community Forum
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options (/showthread.php?tid=255686)

RE: Budget AML S905 Media Player Options - JonSnow88 - 2016-08-04

(2016-08-04, 12:19)crashnburn Wrote: Similar deals as GearBest on BangGood.
http://deals.banggood.com/deals/edm/topic/nexbox160803.html?bid=24760&utmid=919

Most People will typically go with lowest price for hardware.
Why dont we / kodi point to a list of clean box sellers on Ebay?

And even if someone finds a cheap "corrupt" box from Ebay, why not
- let people buy from them
- provide them links and How to to flash Clean OE/LE builds on them

That way we dont have to field newbie questions around piracy add ons as they are using the Bad OS

Coz of the zillion clones of clones out there that have slightly different hardware configurations that will make it a pain.

Granted Kodi team can work with a few manufacturers so users can flash LE but they already do ie Wetek, Minix, Raspberry.

RE: Budget AML S905 Media Player Options - wrxtasy - 2016-08-05

(2016-08-04, 12:19)crashnburn Wrote: And even if someone finds a cheap "corrupt" box from Ebay, why not
You still really don't get it do you, no matter how many times we tell you ?

Why should we encourage supporting a business that continually seeks to profit from selling illegal Pirate Kodi boxes ?
Not only has this practice tarnished XBMC/Kodi's reputation, it has led to a LOT of anguish in the Kodi developer ranks.

If you support Kodi, in whatever form it comes in then Kodi developer support must come first. Without that the project ceases to exist.
These guys selling Pirate Hardware contribute absolutely nothing to the Open Source Kodi project.
They are nothing better than pond scum dwellers and leaches sucking the blood from the Kodi project itself.

Legitimate sellers are either:
a) Supporting the developers of the Kodi codebase
b) Sponsoring the Kodi project
c) Providing test Hardware to developers to code with to benefit the entire Kodi project
d) Actually employing developers that contribute to the Kodi codebase

If you support Kodi, stop thinking of only Hardware purchase price and yourselves. There is a bigger picture.

Cheap hardware for end users does not justify free advertising of Kodi pirate boxes.

RE: Budget AML S905 Media Player Options - netvlada - 2016-08-05

(2016-08-04, 15:03)danfloss Wrote:
(2016-07-27, 10:04)KoopaTroopa Wrote:
(2016-07-26, 11:30)bobrooney Wrote: However there is atm new flash sale on Gearbest for another AML S905 device for 23$.
It is a NEXBOX A95X (LINK)

Any chance you have tested this yourself with the LE build?

Had one of these delivered today. Its a holiday machine (me and the wife like to watch boxsets of an evening). I had some problems to start off, was getting lines and masses of artefacts on screen but this turned out to be HDMI cable related. Its full of crap as many have mentioned before with these Chinese boxes, but I have to say for just over £18 it is pretty OK, not as good I would hazard as my Asus Chromebox running Openelec but not far off, also, surprisingly, the remote is good and has some extra functions. It boots easily into recovery so I'm going to test LibreELEC on it via SD card.

@crashburn
Its packed away but i could swear it has Miracast/airplay support will check again tomorrow
Is it stable?
Google play works?
Antutu?
Kodi ?
Wi-Fi speed?
Overheat?
Factory firmware?
Some bugs?

Thanks in advance?

RE: Budget AML S905 Media Player Options - danfloss - 2016-08-05

(2016-08-05, 11:13)netvlada Wrote:
(2016-08-04, 15:03)danfloss Wrote:
(2016-07-27, 10:04)KoopaTroopa Wrote: Any chance you have tested this yourself with the LE build?

Had one of these delivered today. Its a holiday machine (me and the wife like to watch boxsets of an evening). I had some problems to start off, was getting lines and masses of artefacts on screen but this turned out to be HDMI cable related. Its full of crap as many have mentioned before with these Chinese boxes, but I have to say for just over £18 it is pretty OK, not as good I would hazard as my Asus Chromebox running Openelec but not far off, also, surprisingly, the remote is good and has some extra functions. It boots easily into recovery so I'm going to test LibreELEC on it via SD card.

@crashburn
Its packed away but i could swear it has Miracast/airplay support will check again tomorrow
Is it stable?
Google play works?
Antutu?
Kodi ?
Wi-Fi speed?
Overheat?
Factory firmware?
Some bugs?

Thanks in advance?

For the two hours i played with it its stable
don't know about google play
never bothered with antutu
kodi is full of crap as per usual with chinese boxes but there is a working play store so could easily download a fresh version ( I'm going this way https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread-524.html )
It gets warm but not very hot to touch
i wouldn't bother with factory firmware as it will most likely never be updated
didn't notice any bugs as such but it is a very cheap box. I wouldn't have it as a main machine but for travels its great and the PQ is very good. Ill say more when i have LibreELEC on it (weekend)

Just flashed LibreELEC onto the internal Nand. Its pretty nifty but no where near the PQ of say a chromebox, i couldn't use this as a main unit but for holidays it will suffice

RE: Budget AML S905 Media Player Options - bobrooney - 2016-08-05

(2016-08-05, 05:07)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2016-08-04, 12:19)crashnburn Wrote: And even if someone finds a cheap "corrupt" box from Ebay, why not

Why should we encourage supporting a business that continually seeks to profit from selling illegal Pirate Kodi boxes ?
I am not trying to be offending but I think that you also don't get some (not so) obvious facts.
You are not encouraging "business that benefits from piracy" by supporting people that are buying some cheap Chinese devices. No, not anymore. It is too late for that - The damage is already done. For example, if you somehow (by some miracle) put something in next Kodi versions that will prevent Kodi to run on such boxes, or Kodi project simply cease to exist, they will just use Kodi Jarvis for the next decade, and just upgrade it from time to time and still benefit from your PAST work.

In my opinion, with your current actions you cannot control nor encourage or discourage current flow on the internet market when it comes to those TV boxes - Unfortunately!

I think that you need to turn to “damage control”, if you want to reduce the number of "illegal Pirate Kodi boxes" over the internet. By that I also mean giving support and educating people that are coming with those cheap Chinese boxes here on this forum that their hardware is completely legal but their software is not, and that they need to delete that illegal crap and to start with clean version of Kodi.
Do you think that by not giving support to someone that just bought some TV box full of illegal crap will make him throw that box in the trash? Of course not. He will just go to another forum where he will get support for that illegal version and you will have one more pirate that is not maybe even aware of the fact that he is doing something illegal.

(2016-08-05, 05:07)wrxtasy Wrote: If you support Kodi, stop thinking of only Hardware purchase price and yourselves. There is a bigger picture.
You know that there are countries in this world where you must give your full monthly salary for, lets say, Nvidia Shield or half for some Wetek box (if we are talking about manufacturers that are supporting Kodi project)?

RE: Budget AML S905 Media Player Options - wrxtasy - 2016-08-05

(2016-08-05, 15:22)bobrooney Wrote:
(2016-08-05, 05:07)wrxtasy Wrote:

I am not trying to be offending but I think that you also don't get some (not so) obvious facts.
You are not encouraging "business that benefits from piracy" by supporting people that are buying some cheap Chinese devices. No, not anymore. It is too late for that - The damage is already done. For example, if you somehow (by some miracle) put something in next Kodi versions that will prevent Kodi to run on such boxes, or Kodi project simply cease to exist, they will just use Kodi Jarvis for the next decade, and just upgrade it from time to time and still benefit from your PAST work.

In my opinion, with your current actions you cannot control nor encourage or discourage current flow on the internet market when it comes to those TV boxes - Unfortunately!
Please read what I've written again, and then repeat the process, what I posted was strictly a discussion about Pirate boxes, which is the majority of these cheap AMLogic clones.

Of course you cannot control what is posted on the internet but...
This is an Kodi forum where there are actual rules as opposed to the wider internet. Pirate box http links can be deleted, suspect posters IP addresses interrogated. Users warned and banned. This is very different to other forums where it can be open slather.
Users are absolutely free to go to other forums and seek help too.

There are actually a bunch of developers that can provide lots of help, and have deep knowledge of Kodi and will defend and stand up for the Open Source Kodi Project. These are the guys that like me, that now refuse to help the Pirate hardware sellers full stop by providing free support to their end customers. If end users are caught in the crossfire of that then so be it, complain to the seller of your device. We simply don't care.
A device is either illegal or its not. There is no grey area as far as I'm concerned.

LibreELEC takes a similar stance with Pirates Ahoy!

RE: Budget AML S905 Media Player Options - bobrooney - 2016-08-05

(2016-08-05, 16:33)wrxtasy Wrote: Please read what I've written again, and then repeat the process,..
"Repeat the process"? You want to say that I am stupid?
In your first reply to me you are insulting me without any reason?! It seems that you have bigger problems in your life than those pirate boxes.

Take care.

Over & out

RE: Budget AML S905 Media Player Options - Ned Scott - 2016-08-06

@bobrooney

Pirate stuff and hurting the Kodi image is only part of the problem. There's also:

• bad firmware support form the box sellers - not every S905 can use the same image. A lot of people are having a rude awakening to that fact.
• poor quality parts - power supplies that actually catch on fire, buttons that snap off the board when you press them, heat sinks that fall off. All of those issues have happened to me in the past.
• unlicensed hardware - things like forged or a lack of CE marks, FCC certification, etc is getting a lot of boxes held up in customs. The growing popularity of these boxes is increasing the spotlight on them, so this is actually happening more often.

and various other reasons that go on and on.

As for pirates using old versions, actually no. When XBMC got renamed to Kodi, we thought for sure the XBMC brand was dead because so many people were associating it with piracy streams at that point. However, the masses are like goldfish and they quickly forget these things. As soon as a new name for something pops up, everyone goes over to that. The association of piracy and Kodi is shallow. It can be undone. The Kodi project and the community will not stop fighting that fight.

If someone can't afford a WeTek or a Shield, then why the hell are they not buying a Raspberry Pi or an ODROID-C2? You can get a damn Pi for $5. If someone is so poor that they can't afford something like that then I think they have bigger things to worry about than getting 4K video with HD audio on an S905 box.

Their boxes aren't completely legal (see licensing example above) even when they wipe the pre-loaded crap off, but even then, I agree that education is the better option. If a cheap no-name box works great with a fresh Kodi installation, great. I have no issue with that. However, people are being realistic here. There's no reason to encourage hardware that is likely crap (including a ton of boxes with early and flawed versions of the S905) over other options that have none of those issues and are nearly as cheap. Hell, before the ARM port people would actually do things like convert an old PC into an HTPC.

If people want to say "that device is trash" then let them. Why do you care? It's an opinion.

Budget AML S905 Media Player Options - bobrooney - 2016-08-06

(2016-08-06, 10:13)Ned Scott Wrote: @bobrooney
As for pirates using old versions, actually no.
So what do you think what will happen if:
(2016-08-05, 15:22)bobrooney Wrote: ... if you somehow (by some miracle) put something in next Kodi versions that will prevent Kodi to run on such boxes, or Kodi project simply cease to exist..
?
pirates will stop using Kodi?

(2016-08-06, 10:13)Ned Scott Wrote: If someone is so poor that they can't afford something like that then I think they have bigger things to worry about than getting 4K video with HD audio on an S905 box.
Of course! And that is my point. Lot of people (like me) don't have 4k TV, sound systems, H265 files,... so they don't need 4k playback, passtrough, HEVC support,... and for those people (with "basic needs") those devices are good enough. I really don't have any problems with my 26$ device. Honestly! I don't care if maybe 4k playback is not smooth or passtrough don't work on my device because I don't need that! This device simply fulfills all my current needs and that is what I am looking for.

(2016-08-06, 10:13)Ned Scott Wrote: If people want to say "that device is trash" then let them. Why do you care? It's an opinion.
Yeees, of course, but where this come from? No one said trash devices nor I replied to that?!

RE: Budget AML S905 Media Player Options - JonSnow88 - 2016-08-07

Pirate stuff and hurting the Kodi image is only part of the problem. There's also:

• bad firmware support form the box sellers - not every S905 can use the same image. A lot of people are having a rude awakening to that fact.
• poor quality parts - power supplies that actually catch on fire, buttons that snap off the board when you press them, heat sinks that fall off. All of those issues have happened to me in the past.
• unlicensed hardware - things like forged or a lack of CE marks, FCC certification, etc is getting a lot of boxes held up in customs. The growing popularity of these boxes is increasing the spotlight on them, so this is actually happening more often.

and various other reasons that go on and on.

As for pirates using old versions, actually no. When XBMC got renamed to Kodi, we thought for sure the XBMC brand was dead because so many people were associating it with piracy streams at that point. However, the masses are like goldfish and they quickly forget these things. As soon as a new name for something pops up, everyone goes over to that. The association of piracy and Kodi is shallow. It can be undone. The Kodi project and the community will not stop fighting that fight.

If someone can't afford a WeTek or a Shield, then why the hell are they not buying a Raspberry Pi or an ODROID-C2? You can get a damn Pi for $5. If someone is so poor that they can't afford something like that then I think they have bigger things to worry about than getting 4K video with HD audio on an S905 box.

Their boxes aren't completely legal (see licensing example above) even when they wipe the pre-loaded crap off, but even then, I agree that education is the better option. If a cheap no-name box works great with a fresh Kodi installation, great. I have no issue with that. However, people are being realistic here. There's no reason to encourage hardware that is likely crap (including a ton of boxes with early and flawed versions of the S905) over other options that have none of those issues and are nearly as cheap. Hell, before the ARM port people would actually do things like convert an old PC into an HTPC.

If people want to say "that device is trash" then let them. Why do you care? It's an opinion.

Can you post more about the power supply that caught fire? like which box or any news articles, what kind of power adapter etc. I held off on these Android boxes and stuck to official kodi hardware (RPi2) just because of the potential fire hazard, however i gave in with a s905 Android box since it was so cheap and C2 is really hard to source or it cost double + insane shipping. My box seems to have a ETL certified power supply and the company is registered with Intertek which was the reason I actually bought it.

I looked at a ton of clone boxes and they all seem to have generic power supplies but i didn't come across any that advertised as being UL, ETL or CSA certified, but yes I saw allot with FC or CE logos. The one that came with my box has the ETL logo and the manufacture checks out as being certified. I may still source a local certified power supply just to be extra safe as china is full of fakes but can you really be sure the new one is certified and not a fake since both are made in china.

PS I bought the box now only because you can run LE on it, if that was not possible I would never buy it.

double post

RE: Budget AML S905 Media Player Options - trogggy - 2016-08-07

If you're concerned about using a cheap power supply just swap it. They're nothing special - my minimx111 has a 5V 2A power supply which are common as mud. At worst you'd have to chop the jack-plug from the original to stick on the replacement.

(2016-08-07, 02:09)trogggy Wrote: If you're concerned about using a cheap power supply just swap it. They're nothing special - my minimx111 has a 5V 2A power supply which are common as mud. At worst you'd have to chop the jack-plug from the original to stick on the replacement.

i know and will probably source one locally, not going to DIY a power supply even if they are common as mud and only 5v. You can call me paranoid but a hazard is a hazard even of its very small.

I have an extra 5V 2A adapter that came with something else from china that isn't being used and I could probably un-soider the wires from the power supply soider it to a male usb plug and use my 5V 2A RPi adapter.

RE: Budget AML S905 Media Player Options - trogggy - 2016-08-07

(2016-08-07, 02:23)jebise Wrote: i know and will probably source one locally, not going to DIY a power supply even if they are common as mud and only 5v. You can call me paranoid but a hazard is a hazard even of its very small.

I have an extra 5V 2A adapter that came with something else from china that isn't being used and I could probably un-soider the wires from the power supply soider it to a male usb plug and use my 5V 2A RPi adapter.
No idea what you're saying there.
The point is - if you don't want to use the original power supply you don't have to.
There isn't a problem using something else.

RE: Budget AML S905 Media Player Options - Ned Scott - 2016-08-07

(2016-08-06, 16:22)bobrooney Wrote:
As for pirates using old versions, actually no.
So what do you think what will happen if:
(2016-08-05, 15:22)bobrooney Wrote: ... if you somehow (by some miracle) put something in next Kodi versions that will prevent Kodi to run on such boxes, or Kodi project simply cease to exist..
?
pirates will stop using Kodi?

This has already happened, and is happening again now due to new Android OS requirements. People just buy new boxes. Most of the pirate service add-ons don't maintain support for older versions of Kodi, and you have to use the bleeding edge version of those add-ons to have any sort of reliability. Using the old version is really only an option when you're not using those kinds of add-ons.

Quote:
(2016-08-06, 10:13)Ned Scott Wrote: If someone is so poor that they can't afford something like that then I think they have bigger things to worry about than getting 4K video with HD audio on an S905 box.
Of course! And that is my point. Lot of people (like me) don't have 4k TV, sound systems, H265 files,... so they don't need 4k playback, passtrough, HEVC support,... and for those people (with "basic needs") those devices are good enough. I really don't have any problems with my 26$ device. Honestly! I don't care if maybe 4k playback is not smooth or passtrough don't work on my device because I don't need that! This device simply fulfills all my current needs and that is what I am looking for.

So why care about AML S905 boxes? That's the whole point of getting one of the cheap S905 boxes over a Raspberry Pi or Fire TV stick. There's no reason to encourage the "pirate boxes" when there are clean alternatives that are even better and are just as cheap.