Kodi Community Forum
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options (/showthread.php?tid=255686)

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - gsmtech - 2016-08-16

Beelink mini mx devices are still king of the bang for buck at this point they cannot be beaten in price/performance terms good build quality with good software builds of openelec and libre elec available. Futeko supply them with clean builds of openelec and no piracy addons.

You have to be dumb if you can't see that paying over 100 dollars for the same 25 dollar hardware the budget devices offer.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - Ned Scott - 2016-08-16

(2016-08-16, 10:51)gsmtech Wrote: Beelink mini mx devices are still king of the bang for buck at this point they cannot be beaten in price/performance terms good build quality with good software builds of openelec and libre elec available. Futeko supply them with clean builds of openelec and no piracy addons.

You have to be dumb if you can't see that paying over 100 dollars for the same 25 dollar hardware the budget devices offer.

Haha, no. I really wish I could still look up IP addresses of people posting here. So many new users smell like shills.

I hate to keep hitting this dead horse, but...

Most of the super-cheap devices aren't even legal, regardless of pirate video content, in most countries. They don't pay any licensing that they're supposed to for various things, including technology that they advertise their box as using. Forget the quality issues, forget the buggy S905 versions, forget the lack of support, forget the Chinese slave wages, and just look at that. Yes, it's easy to make a cheaper product when rules don't have to be followed. Kind of like how stealing is cheaper than paying anything.

Maybe for you it all works out, but don't call people dumb for paying a fair price to companies that actually do the right thing.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - JonSnow88 - 2016-08-16

My issue with official kodi devices is that its really hard to source to be worth it. The RPi1/Rpi2 ended up costing me almost double whats its worth do to inflation and shipping cost but still made sense since i didn't have to purchase any accessories, they where the perfect bang for your buck device and still is officially. The Hub was my first choice and i waited for release and with shipping it was not worth it. Odroid is really hard to find with a reasonable price tag and the emmc card is priced extremely high to justify a purchase. If i was going to purchase a new device i wanted 2GB and 16GB eMMC as my minimum but was deciding between C2 and Hub but then i found these cheap boxes.

Considering the price for of these cheap boxes and the fact i could run LE was the only reason, if i could not run LE i would never have purchased a cheap box until the Pi2 died.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - hdmkv - 2016-08-16

(2016-08-16, 11:42)Ned Scott Wrote: ...forget the Chinese slave wages... it's easy to make a cheaper product when rules don't have to be followed.
This is true, and sad, but most goods we get from China, India, and other 3rd world countries, be it electronics, furniture or clothing, are sourced from 'slave' or almost-slavish factories.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - gsmtech - 2016-08-16

Which factory's are the branded recommended devices built in ? The same Chinese ones as the apparently "slavish" cheap Chinese devices, along with Iphones and iPads Wink

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - Ned Scott - 2016-08-17

(2016-08-16, 20:56)hdmkv Wrote:
(2016-08-16, 11:42)Ned Scott Wrote: ...forget the Chinese slave wages... it's easy to make a cheaper product when rules don't have to be followed.
This is true, and sad, but most goods we get from China, India, and other 3rd world countries, be it electronics, furniture or clothing, are sourced from 'slave' or almost-slavish factories.

Some factories are better than others, and go beyond the most minimal requirements. Some factories worse and even break the low Chinese labor standards. It's almost impossible for the end user to know what kind of factory made their box, but when the end product is only $25, and the bill of materials is not much lower, it's often impossible for the remainder to cover even the lowest of acceptable worker pay/standards.

I'd like it to be (at least) possible that I'm supporting reasonable working situations for the people who make my stuff. As I've gotten older, it's something that weighs on my mind more and more. I no longer get the absolute cheapest shirt or chair or box. Sometimes $10 or $20 "cheaper" (for any example, box or whatever) comes at a much bigger price.

It's not something I plan on lecturing anyone about. However, it's certainly a factor worth considering.

(2016-08-16, 23:00)gsmtech Wrote: Which factory's are the branded recommended devices built in ? The same Chinese ones as the apparently "slavish" cheap Chinese devices, along with Iphones and iPads Wink

Despite the spin that a lot of news and blog sites use, Foxconn has much higher standards than almost any other factory/company in China. It's still not great, but at least those employees are heading towards middle-class status and providing for their families.

There is a huge variation of worker quality in Chinese factories. They're not all the same. The idea that it is somehow okay to support slave waged because "some do it" is horrible and dangerous.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - dukester - 2016-08-17

(2016-08-17, 03:56)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2016-08-16, 23:00)gsmtech Wrote: Which factory's are the branded recommended devices built in ? The same Chinese ones as the apparently "slavish" cheap Chinese devices, along with Iphones and iPads Wink

Despite the spin that a lot of news and blog sites use, Foxconn has much higher standards than almost any other factory/company in China. It's still not great, but at least those employees are heading towards middle-class status and providing for their families.

There is a huge variation of worker quality in Chinese factories. They're not all the same. The idea that it is somehow okay to support slave waged because "some do it" is horrible and dangerous.

...Says the guy who works for WETEK, last time i looked your companies devices are made along side beelink and many other brands in the same factories sporting the same conditions/wages.

Hows that feel?

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - wrxtasy - 2016-08-17

(2016-08-17, 04:52)dukester Wrote: ...Says the guy who works for WETEK, last time i looked your companies devices are made along side beelink and many other brands in the same factories sporting the same conditions/wages.

Hows that feel?
I suppose you have proof do you, that this is happening ?

Or are you just here to troll the forum and provoke a reaction from us.
Either put up or shut up.

(2016-08-17, 04:52)dukester Wrote:
(2016-08-17, 03:56)Ned Scott Wrote:

...Says the guy who works for WETEK, last time i looked your companies devices are made along side beelink and many other brands in the same factories sporting the same conditions/wages.

Hows that feel?

I've held this view far longer than I've worked at WeTek. One of the reasons I accepted the job in the first place was because they were a respectable company. The fact that they went out of their way to hire someone related to the Kodi project also shows how they're not just going after the lowest bidder.

No, WeTek boxes are not made in the same factory as Beelink. I don't know what the conditions are like for the factory that makes WeTek boxes, but I know they are quality boxes that are not being made by the lowest bidder, and that WeTek pays for that additional quality. Like I said, that at least makes it possible that people are being paid an acceptable wage. That feels pretty damn good, and it's the reason I brought it up in the first place. I don't know how you managed to miss that.

My words here are my own. I've said the same things for years. WeTek doesn't pay me to post on the Kodi forum. Check my other posts and you'll find me recommending Shield TV, Raspberry Pi, Chromeboxes, and all sorts of hardware. I don't bring up WeTek products in unrelated threads. No one owns my opinions other than myself, and I've always been honest on the forums.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - gsmtech - 2016-08-17

(2016-08-17, 05:52)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2016-08-17, 04:52)dukester Wrote:
(2016-08-17, 03:56)Ned Scott Wrote: Despite the spin that a lot of news and blog sites use, Foxconn has much higher standards than almost any other factory/company in China. It's still not great, but at least those employees are heading towards middle-class status and providing for their families.

Hows that feel?

I've held this view far longer than I've worked at WeTek. One of the reasons I accepted the job in the first place was because they were a respectable company. The fact that they went out of their way to hire someone related to the Kodi project also shows how they're not just going after the lowest bidder.

No, WeTek boxes are not made in the same factory as Beelink. I don't know what the conditions are like for the factory that makes WeTek boxes, but I know they are quality boxes that are not being made by the lowest bidder, and that WeTek pays for that additional quality. Like I said, that at least makes it possible that people are being paid an acceptable wage. That feels pretty damn good, and it's the reason I brought it up in the first place. I don't know how you managed to miss that.

My words here are my own. I've said the same things for years. WeTek doesn't pay me to post on the Kodi forum. Check my other posts and you'll find me recommending Shield TV, Raspberry Pi, Chromeboxes, and all sorts of hardware. I don't bring up WeTek products in unrelated threads. No one owns my opinions other than myself, and I've always been honest on the forums.

So in other words you have no idea of the factory conditions, worker wages etc in the chinese factory that your employer WETEK produces boxes in, a convenient statement ... But yet you accuse other people of being "shills" because they dare to suggest that paying 4 x the cost for similar hardware is not neccesary for a lot of peaoples needs, good build quality and decent software Openelec/libre elec builds are available on cheaper devices and these cheaper devices will meet a lot of users needs.comfortably.

Amongst other allegations...like "Gearbest specify which software and pirate add-ons are installed on boxes place orders from the manufacturers , therefore they are a bad seller" , I supppose there is confirmed proof of this ? Or is it a baseless allegation ?

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - stefansaraev - 2016-08-17

yes. we do have a confirmed proof. search the internet.

EDIT: and this is second forum where you seem to attack a wetek employee with nonsense, you should stop that.

(2016-08-16, 11:42)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2016-08-16, 10:51)gsmtech Wrote: Beelink mini mx devices are still king of the bang for buck at this point they cannot be beaten in price/performance terms good build quality with good software builds of openelec and libre elec available. Futeko supply them with clean builds of openelec and no piracy addons.

Haha, no. I really wish I could still look up IP addresses of people posting here. So many new users smell like shills.

I hate to keep hitting this dead horse, but...

Most of the super-cheap devices aren't even legal, regardless of pirate video content, in most countries. They don't pay any licensing that they're supposed to for various things, including technology that they advertise their box as using. Forget the quality issues, forget the buggy S905 versions, forget the lack of support, forget the Chinese slave wages, and just look at that. Yes, it's easy to make a cheaper product when rules don't have to be followed. Kind of like how stealing is cheaper than paying anything.

Maybe for you it all works out, but don't call people dumb for paying a fair price to companies that actually do the right thing.

(2016-08-17, 12:01)stefansaraev Wrote: yes. we do have a confirmed proof. search the internet.

EDIT: and this is second forum where you seem to attack a wetek employee with nonsense, you should stop that.

Confirmed proof is not classified as "Search the internet" . For your information I didnt attack anyone, it's healthy discussion this seems much more like an attack to me....

"Haha, no. I really wish I could still look up IP addresses of people posting here. So many new users smell like shills." - So anyone that has a different opinion in other words must be a Shill ? But confirmed employees of companies that make competing products have no vested interest right ?

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - Draghmar - 2016-08-17

(2016-08-17, 12:55)gsmtech Wrote: But confirmed employees of companies that make competing products have no vested interest right ?
So you're saying that you work for some WeTeK's competitor?

(2016-08-17, 13:27)Draghmar Wrote:
(2016-08-17, 12:55)gsmtech Wrote: But confirmed employees of companies that make competing products have no vested interest right ?
So you're saying that you work for some WeTeK's competitor?

No i'm saying Ned works for Wetek therefore may have a vested interest (non neutral) to talk down discourage cheaper products from other manufacturers even though they may suit many peoples needs and budgets. I am a standard joe bloggs average user with serveral kodi devices Rpi 1, Rpi 2 - OSMC, Amazon Firestick, Android Beelink MiniMX.

You can see I'm not the only one to have spotted this trend, see Dukesters posts.in this thread...are you implying he must also be an emplyee of some wetek competitor too...lol

This topic and thread is called "Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options", so I'm not sure why wetek is even being discussed, it's clearly not a budget device. So back on topic, The kszaq builds for generic S905 boxes run very well on several cheap china boxes, with hopefully even more improvements to come in the future builds. Alex is also working on LibreElec builds alongside his existing OpenElec builds, S912 boxes are entering the market space too, lets see what comes of these, theres plenty going on . Nexbox A95x seems to be the latest budget device getting attention due to aggresive pricing, but only 1Gb RAM...