Kodi Community Forum
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options (/showthread.php?tid=255686)

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - trogggy - 2016-08-18

(2016-08-18, 13:40)gsmtech Wrote: These specs for $100 USD (wetek Hub) are rubbish considering $40 USD elsewhere gets you the Same SOC double the RAM and double the EMMC flash, this is scrimping on hardware, if this had been 2GB RAM and 16Gb Flash with the added features that DRM etc brings the extra cost can be explained somewhat, not with half the RAM and storage though :

RAM Memory: 1 GB DDR III
Flash memory: 8 GB eMMC
I think it's fair to say that in terms of kodi performance the importance of headline tech specs tends to be directly proportional to how recently someone's joined this forum.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - wrxtasy - 2016-08-18

Ain't that the truth Troggy ! Wink

We should Nickname it the Droid Tech Specs BlackHole, where the Newbs get suckered in looking at the Dazzling, Wonderous bleeding edge tech specs only, excluding everything else and get pulled in the Droid gravity well with no hope of escape.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - JonSnow88 - 2016-08-18

Although tech specs don't really mean much now a days for these type of devices i will say storage still has a huge impact on the buying decision at least for me.

For a kodi box 16GB is my bare minimum that way i have plenty of space and can use it for the odd backup or transfering to the emmc.

If i purchase a mobile phone i want 32GB minimum without adding SD Cards etc.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - stefansaraev - 2016-08-18

(2016-08-17, 23:02)gsmtech Wrote:
(2016-08-17, 21:45)stefansaraev Wrote: I think we have a beelink troll-employee here. or we have one of those those cheapo ebay sellers..
I think we have another wetek troll employee here
This is a budget amlogic devices topic, wetek is not in the budget category. Stay on topic.

I did not call names. there is no reason that you take it personaly. huh..

but as you quoted me - my employer does not make boxes, and does not have any interest in kodi or this forum.

quick edit: I was on topic. hub is a budget box.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - Draghmar - 2016-08-18

(2016-08-18, 15:11)gsmtech Wrote: Im not talking about quality of components or build quality. Im talking about capacity of memory and flash. If you spend $100 USD you should at elast expect 2Gb RAM and 16Gb flash, cost difference in bulk in minmal, If this capacity is devices available at 40 USD and even in that the manufactucturers and retailers are making profit...
First of all: From what I see Hub cost is $89 which is not $100.
Second: You can't split production costs anyway you like. You really should focus more on what I (and other) have wrote - there are many things that make final price. Although I'm guessing you're out of focus here quite on purpose.
You can of course say that you'd like to have whatever you want. But not in a way you're trying really hard here.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - MrMC - 2016-08-19

(2016-08-18, 15:50)wrxtasy Wrote: Ain't that the truth Troggy ! Wink

We should Nickname it the Droid Tech Specs BlackHole, where the Newbs get suckered in looking at the Dazzling, Wonderous bleeding edge tech specs only, excluding everything else and get pulled in the Droid gravity well with no hope of escape.

HAHAHAHAHAH , how true Smile

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - gsmtech - 2016-08-19

(2016-08-18, 18:23)jebise Wrote: Although tech specs don't really mean much now a days for these type of devices i will say storage still has a huge impact on the buying decision at least for me.

For a kodi box 16GB is my bare minimum that way i have plenty of space and can use it for the odd backup or transfering to the emmc.

If i purchase a mobile phone i want 32GB minimum without adding SD Cards etc.

Spot on, 8gb flash on a device doesnt cut the mustard, how much actual usual space do you once the OS is on the flash ? Given the extremely low cost of flash memory these days theres no reason for less than 16Gb flash on a device other than cost savings on the manufacturers part.

Same goes for RAM it's 2016 not 2014, 1Gb RAM is antiquated , might not be much benefit in kodi right niow, but a bit of future proofing wont harm. Like I said if a 30 - 40 dollar device can include 2gb RAM and 16Gb flash theres no reason why a 100 dollar device shoudnt at the very least match if not better this. Yes OK, the china producers may not pay for licenses or provide software support etc, but theyre still managing to churn a profit on their devices and their including double the RAM and Flash of "branded budget devices",

In the Android arena, who would buy a android smartphone or tablet with 8Gb Flash ? It's ludicrous, even 16Gb is barely adequate , 32Gb is the new bare minimum, Major manufacturrers Google nexus, Samsumg, LG etc dont even bother offering 8Gb flash smartphones anymore.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - Ned Scott - 2016-08-19

Smartphones and tablets are different devices altogether. Just because they can run the same OS doesn't mean you can draw direct comparisons. That's pants-on-head retarded. Just look at Android running on watches; they don't need the same specs as a flagship phone.

In 2008 2GB of RAM was considered absurdly low, but that was the world of x86. It took a long time to convince the x86 people that ARM devices really did not need the same amounts of RAM (at that time 512MB was normal for Android connected TV boxes). Now you're having that same argument all over again.

You're ignorant, man. There's no nice way to say it at this point. You're just plain ignorant. You are talking about specs like they're fashion trends. It doesn't work like that.

(Kodi still runs absurdly well on only 512MB of RAM, BTW).

I think most people would agree that the current king of Android TV is the Nvidia Shield TV, and it starts out with only 16GB of internal memory. Why? Because it doesn't matter. It has USB and mSD, and Android 6 can pool that storage together (WeTek will eventually get stable Android 6, and you can already find test builds on the WeTek forums). These specs don't mean what you think they mean.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go play on my fairly recent Windows 10 tablet that has 16GB of storage and only 1GB of RAM. Even x86 doesn't need massive specs these days.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - Draghmar - 2016-08-19

(2016-08-19, 12:20)gsmtech Wrote: Same goes for RAM it's 2016 not 2014, 1Gb RAM is antiquated[...]
Come on - my server runs with 1GB RAM (Atom 330) and it's machine for my work (web/DB server), NAS, VNC server and some services for my local network and it works really great. Everything depends on what you're going to throw at hardware.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - trogggy - 2016-08-19

(2016-08-19, 12:38)Ned Scott Wrote: (Kodi still runs absurdly well on only 512MB of RAM, BTW).
And xbmc4xbox still manages very nicely with 64MB.

Couple of things though...
1. I wonder if wetek decided to go with 2GB on the play2 at least in part for marketing (OMG only 1GBHuh!!!) etc.

2. There does seem to be an advantage to 2GB at the moment if you're running an ELEC variant on a cheapo amlogic box. People with 1GB devices are reporting freezes / out of memory problems. That's down to bugs / software not optimised though.

3. (I lied) I have 32GB (and 1GB RAM) storage on my windows 10 tablet. Anything less than 32GB is clearly unacceptable in this day and age. Etc etc.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - stefansaraev - 2016-08-19

Quote:2. There does seem to be an advantage to 2GB at the moment if you're running an ELEC variant on a cheapo amlogic box. People with 1GB devices are reporting freezes / out of memory problems. That's down to bugs / software not optimised though.

I am runing an ELEC variant and it runs absurdly well below 512M, in fact I have never seen using it using more than 256

Code:
total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          1494        194       1300          0         23         68
-/+ buffers/cache:        102       1392
Swap:            0          0          0

Big Grin

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - Ned Scott - 2016-08-19

I haven't noticed any LE issues with my Hub testing, and the Raspberry Pi line doesn't go higher than 1GB as well. I don't doubt you, but just wonder what the core issue is in that situation.

I believe the Hub just doesn't have enough room on its small form factor for another RAM chip. The small size of the Hub was a specific goal for that product. The Play2 is about the same size as the original Play, and it's expected to be able to do background PVR server stuff, so 2GB of RAM is just easier and makes more sense.

(2016-08-19, 13:02)stefansaraev Wrote:
Quote:2. There does seem to be an advantage to 2GB at the moment if you're running an ELEC variant on a cheapo amlogic box. People with 1GB devices are reporting freezes / out of memory problems. That's down to bugs / software not optimised though.

I am runing an ELEC variant and it runs absurdly well below 512M, in fact I have never seen using it using more than 256

Code:

Big Grin[/code]
I haven't imagined it, honest guv.
Some people with 1GB devices are reporting freezes.
There's a fair amount of discussion in the libreelec and amllinux sites / threads about it.
Not surprising with so many different devices / so many different ELEC variants floating around.

Edit: just checked my box and it's using 563MB (33%) at the moment.
My xbox (64MB)and the first Pi I bought (256MB) are obviously a bit more efficient in that regard.

(2016-08-19, 13:06)Ned Scott Wrote: I haven't noticed any LE issues with my Hub testing, and the Raspberry Pi line doesn't go higher than 1GB as well. I don't doubt you, but just wonder what the core issue is in that situation.
That's kind of the point though Ned.
The pi is so optimised it just works beautifully, ditto (though presumably not to the same extent) stuff like the wetek boxes.
That isn't (can't really) be true for the generic stuff.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - gsmtech - 2016-08-19

(2016-08-19, 13:07)trogggy Wrote:
(2016-08-19, 13:02)stefansaraev Wrote:

Code:

Big Grin[/code]
I haven't imagined it, honest guv.
Some people with 1GB devices are reporting freezes.
There's a fair amount of discussion in the libreelec and amllinux sites / threads about it.
Not surprising with so many different devices / so many different ELEC variants floating around.

Edit: just checked my box and it's using 563MB (33%) at the moment.
My xbox (64MB)and the first Pi I bought (256MB) are obviously a bit more efficient in that regard.

There are several reports of the OpenElec and LibreElec buids on the 1Gb RAM , S905 Andorid china boxes freezing and locking up when heavy skins are applied and lots of plugins sre used. There is an issue with everytime a video stream is played RAM usage increases, and after the video stream is finished the RAM is not realeased. Hence after playing several streams RAM is fully utilised and the devices freeze and lockup.

This issue has manifested itself more noticably on the 1Gb RAM devices, but thats not to say 1GB RAM isn't sufficent for Kodi, it seems to suggest theres possible a kernel or build issue thats causing the RAM to not be freed up after playing streams.

1Gb RAM / 8Gb Flash is still crap for android regradless of what , mitigations fanbois are throwing around here the real reason is manufacturers wanted to keep costs down and profit margins up. Why havent the new 2016 devices all got 1Gb RAM and 8gb Flash if it's sufficient for Kodi ? Because theres been a realisation that manufacturers cant get away with cost cutting so easily anymore, as theres too many alternatives for cheaper that will give people the better capacity in terms of RAM and Flash storage.