Kodi Community Forum
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options (/showthread.php?tid=255686)

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - Jeffers24 - 2016-08-22

(2016-08-22, 13:57)trogggy Wrote:
(2016-08-22, 13:49)Jeffers24 Wrote:
(2016-08-22, 13:42)trogggy Wrote: If you quote my post - which is nothing to do with android - then I think I'm entitled to assume there's some correlation.
I've tried kodi on android on a minimxiii and it's frankly rubbish.
SPMC is significantly better.
Libreelec is great. Not even comparable.
So FWIW...
Want a cheap box?
Read the various libreelec threads, find one (a box) that's well supported (and mine's on that list).
Be prepared to DIY, troubleshoot, tweak and it can be great.
Want something that works out of the box?
Spend more money.

The reason I posted was that we have the same box, I am using the Android OS that came with the box and not experiencing any power issues, I realise you may have a power issue on your box, just thought it might be useful input :-)

As I stated I am very happy with the box I already have a Beelink Mini MXlll once I installed Kodi from the play store.

Why do you say Kodi on Android on a Mini MXlll is rubbish?

What are you running on your Mini MXlll that is so great, apart from the current issue you are having?
I'm running kszaq's build from the libreelec forums.
If you want to try it I'd suggest starting with 005 on sd card - it's non-destructive (ie stick card in you get libreelec when you boot but without the sd card you boot to android), runs really well and is an easier install than 006.
The experience is seriously night and day.
Release thread: https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread-1172.html
Moaning and whingingDiscussion thread: https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread-524.html

Thanks for response.

Would you just elaborate on the differences I will get from Kodi on Android to what you are using, so I can decide whether to try it out?

It's just I think my Kodi on Android is good, maybe I have low expectations/requirements?

Can you run Android apps on what you are running?

I integrate some Android apps in to my Kodi build, iPlayer etc.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - Jeffers24 - 2016-08-22

(2016-08-22, 14:01)wrxtasy Wrote: Android Kodi on the dirt cheap AML devices needs a lot of work to get anywhere near the A/V features a decent S905 LibreELEC image has.
I can list an extensive page of Android AML issues, but frankly I cannot be bothered anymore. A bunch are already well known.

You have to patch a the drivers, the Kernel, bug bust a whole lota shit, and then test, compile, test and repeat.

If AML Android Kodi users are happy with what they are getting then thats fine, you did not pay much $$ anyway.
But you can extract more from an Android Kodi S905 AML box when developers invest time, money and effort bug busting and adding extra features.

Rather than list the issues with Android AML, would you point me in the right direction to find out what benefits a "decent S905 LibreELEC image" will give me?

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - trogggy - 2016-08-22

(2016-08-22, 14:03)Jeffers24 Wrote:
(2016-08-22, 13:57)trogggy Wrote:
(2016-08-22, 13:49)Jeffers24 Wrote: The reason I posted was that we have the same box, I am using the Android OS that came with the box and not experiencing any power issues, I realise you may have a power issue on your box, just thought it might be useful input :-)

As I stated I am very happy with the box I already have a Beelink Mini MXlll once I installed Kodi from the play store.

Why do you say Kodi on Android on a Mini MXlll is rubbish?

What are you running on your Mini MXlll that is so great, apart from the current issue you are having?
I'm running kszaq's build from the libreelec forums.
If you want to try it I'd suggest starting with 005 on sd card - it's non-destructive (ie stick card in you get libreelec when you boot but without the sd card you boot to android), runs really well and is an easier install than 006.
The experience is seriously night and day.
Release thread: https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread-1172.html
Moaning and whingingDiscussion thread: https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread-524.html

Thanks for response.

Would you just elaborate on the differences I will get from Kodi on Android to what you are using, so I can decide whether to try it out?

It's just I think my Kodi on Android is good, maybe I have low expectations/requirements?

Can you run Android apps on what you are running?

I integrate some Android apps in to my Kodi build, iPlayer etc.
If you want to use android apps from kodi then libreelec's not for you. It's a completely different os.
In that case I'd suggest trying SPMC - you can install and copy your kodi data to it and it should just work.
Then again if you're happy with how kodi runs I guess there's no need.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - gsmtech - 2016-08-22

(2016-08-22, 14:08)Jeffers24 Wrote:
(2016-08-22, 14:01)wrxtasy Wrote: Android Kodi on the dirt cheap AML devices needs a lot of work to get anywhere near the A/V features a decent S905 LibreELEC image has.
I can list an extensive page of Android AML issues, but frankly I cannot be bothered anymore. A bunch are already well known.

You have to patch a the drivers, the Kernel, bug bust a whole lota shit, and then test, compile, test and repeat.

If AML Android Kodi users are happy with what they are getting then thats fine, you did not pay much $$ anyway.
But you can extract more from an Android Kodi S905 AML box when developers invest time, money and effort bug busting and adding extra features.

Rather than list the issues with Android AML, would you point me in the right direction to find out what benefits a "decent S905 LibreELEC image" will give me?

- Under LibreElec / OpenElec you get things like dyanamic framerate switching working , this doesnt work in Android, Also the LibreElec/OpenElec distros boot up and run faster, snappier through menus etc in Kodi.

You can run dual boot via SD card if you want to try out LibreElec without affecting your original Android OS. I.E: install Libre Elec to an SD card, when the SD card is inserted the box will boot into libreElec, when the SD card is removed the box will boot into the standard android OS, so you get the best of both worlds, boot in android when to want to use android apps, etc, boot into LibreElec for Kodi.
The instructions to do this are over on the libreElec forums under kszaqs build threads.

I currently use this same method, I boot into LibreElec from SD Card for Kodi purposes, If i need Android, I remove the SD Card. and boot into android. Works a treat. I have the earlier version of the same box your using, Beelink MiniMX V1 , i.e: I dont have the MiniMX III but the process is the same.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - gsmtech - 2016-08-22

CNXSoft are reporting that new S912 devices are appearing with 32GB eMMC internal flash such as the YOKATV KB2. It's good to see that eMMC sizes are increasing to provide more storage space. 16Gb eMMC should defintiely be regarded as the bare minumum for new devices.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - Ned Scott - 2016-08-22

@gmstech

Automatic framerate switching does work in Android.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - wrxtasy - 2016-08-23

(2016-08-22, 18:25)Ned Scott Wrote: @gmstech

Automatic framerate switching does work in Android.
Until you end up switching to a Fractional Refresh Rate (23.976/29.97/59.94) that results in a black screen if amcodec video acceleration is enabled. The Kernel needs patching to fix this.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - Ned Scott - 2016-08-23

I know the thread is about AML, but I'm just saying that Android does support dynamic refresh rate switching ;)

and it's only a matter of time before those kinds of aml-specific issues get fixed. Especially with Amlogic stepping up their game with the first Amlogic official Android TV box (the Mii box, IIRC).

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - MrBean - 2016-08-24

on topic?Big Grin I've used Raspberry PI, but now I want to test a Android box. (My requirements: budget, S905X, dual band wifi)

I found the NEXBOX A95X with Amlogic S905X, bought it yesterday for $41

There are 3 versions of the S905X, so be aware! (A95X is used for many models.) The one with 2GB DDR3 RAM 16GB eMMC ROM has better features like 5G WiFi, Android 6 and Bluetooth 4.0

admin edit: removed links to product, review clearly depicting box loaded with banned addons

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - wrxtasy - 2016-08-24

@MrBean
Nice 2nd post promoting Kodi Pirate Hardware:
Have you read this at all... ?

The Piracy Box Sellers and Youtube Promoters Are Killing Kodi

Sorry to say another Kodi Pirate Box here. 2.57 in the linked video gives you an App called KodiCenter that downloads all the usual Banned Kodi Pirate Addons.

Gearbest is nothing better than a seller of Pirate Android Kodi hardware. I seriously doubt they sell one "Clean" Android Kodi box.
Frankly they should be banned from this forum all together. Sad

That R...kull guy on Youtube should be ashamed of himself as well - but he does show how unreliable Kodi 16.1 runs when playing video on the NEXBOX A95X

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - gsmtech - 2016-08-24

(2016-08-24, 09:11)MrBean Wrote: on topic?Big Grin I've used Raspberry PI, but now I want to test a Android box. (My requirements: budget, S905X, dual band wifi)

There are 3 versions of the S905X, so be aware! (A95X is used for many models.) The one with 2GB DDR3 RAM 16GB eMMC ROM has better features like 5G WiFi, Android 6 and Bluetooth 4.0

admin edit: removed links to product, review clearly depicting box loaded with banned addons

I did something similar I already have a Rpi1 , 2 and a Amazon firestick. When I bought my android device it was because I wanted to try something different for a similar price point rather than try the rpi3. My android box is hands down the best of the devices I own and the one I use most. Although saying that my rpi2 is the only device that is left running 24/7 and so far it has been fine. It's not as fast as my android device though especially when running libreelec.

The S905X SOC is fairly newish to market and does not have a lot of support yet. I don't believe it's all that different than a S905 non X either in terms of features, performance. You were better off getting a normal S905 box, these have been on the market for a while now and are supported better as devs have had time to discover and fix bugs etc. S905X supports VP9 hardware decoding and HDR support according to CNX Software website, but the S905X permfromance was actually lower than the normal S905 when benchmarked, this maybe due to unoptimized software thougfh and Android 6 support for the SOC. Android 6 is not very stable on Amlogic deevices from the reviews I've read.

S912 boxes are now coming to market. It's probably better sticking with normal cheap S905 box if you need a box today and wait for the S912 boxes to become more well supported. Not worth buying a S905X unless you have any VP9 or HD content you want to play.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - trogggy - 2016-08-24

(2016-08-24, 09:11)MrBean Wrote: on topic?Big Grin I've used Raspberry PI, but now I want to test a Android box. (My requirements: budget, S905X, dual band wifi)

Frankly, and after doing a fair amount of reading on these boxes (and owning one), I'd be avoiding nexbox, s905x and marshmallow at the moment.
But maybe it'll be great.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - danfloss - 2016-08-24

Strange i purchased a Nexbox A95X a few weeks ago and while i did post here my impressions that the PQ was not up to much, i subsequently found it was actually the settings on one particular HDMI port on my TV. which was giving me such bad results. Once that was correctly calibrated i find the PQ (at least to my old eyes) as good as my Asus Chromebox. I have flashed it with LibreELEC and the wifi is rubbish but for the price its excellent

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - trogggy - 2016-08-24

Interesting. Does it power on and off properly with the remote in libreelec?
No problems installing LE 7.002.006?

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - danfloss - 2016-08-24

No power on off I'm afraid, apparently something called 'the Uboot' is broken. The version of LibreELEC i have is here https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread-1172.html
I haven't updated to 7.0.2.006 but someone on there said they have