Kodi Community Forum
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options (/showthread.php?tid=255686)

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - noggin - 2016-09-02

(2016-09-02, 04:16)wrxtasy Wrote: The CPU speed pretty much pales into insignificance, when all you need is a decent GPU/VPU that Hardware decodes nearly everything.

True - but it didn't stop a lot of people slating the Pi 2 and 3 for incredibly low clock speeds compared to the AMLogic stuff...

I totally agree that the 2GHz thing is irrelevant for Kodi uses though. Real world experience has shown that the VPU/GPU in the S905 is a very good fit - 10 bit 2160/60p HEVC decode and HDMI 2.0 at the pricepoint is incredibly good value.

Problem is people thinking only in terms of GHz and number of cores (i.e. an 8 core 2GHz box is better than a 4 core 1GHz box - even if the latter has a really good VPU that plays everything and the former is an Allwinner...)

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - Theguyuk - 2016-09-02

(2016-09-01, 21:51)jebise Wrote:
(2016-09-01, 14:24)Theguyuk Wrote: Hello

I cannot agree with your dismissal of AMLogic cheating or comparing Soc GHz, and low price does not make fraud legal.

World commerce and trade depends on binding agreed terms.

A Intel and AMD CPU are not the same but everyone expects their CPUs to run at the claimed 2GHz. They expect 2GB of ram to be 2GB, not 1.5 GB.

A Ford, A Vauxhall, A BMW car are not the same but if their Speedometer says you are traveling at 100 miles a hour, you would not accept in truth the car to be doing 50 miles a hour, only.

Fifty dollars is fifity dollars and not 35 dollars and two pebbles.

AMLogic set out to cheat GHz and subroutines to cheat benchmark tests.

Are their Soc 5.1 stereo or only really 2.O ?

Is it 8GB of ROM or 6GB with a software cheat?

Are devices based on AMLogic designss really electrically safe, or have AMLogic and suppliers cut corners there too!

They have conspired to deceive and defraud.

And dismissal of their fraud is wrong..

Someone needs a tin foil hat

Not at all and putting fingers in ears and going blaa, blaa, bla just shows how false your reply is.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - Theguyuk - 2016-09-02

(2016-09-02, 04:16)wrxtasy Wrote: And a Full Body Condom just to be sure, to accompany the Tin Foil Hat.

Let me ask how much Diesel emissions testing, did all those thousand of premium VW dealerships do worldwide when selling cars to customers?
Nada, none. There is a degree of trust from the manufacturer with every product sold to a customer, no matter what it is.

Let put this into perspective shall we, these ARM based AML SoC's cost next to nothing compared to full monty Intel i series products. Which still cannot give you 10bit Hardware HEVC and HDMI 2.0 at a relatively affordable price.

WeTek did actually test the original Revision B. S905 a hell of a lot and found video decoding produced artifacts for 10bit 2160p HEVC Sat. TV streams. This was directly relevant for the S905 line of products they intended to sell and actually delayed the launch of the S905 equipped WeTek Hub. The CPU speed pretty much pales into insignificance, when all you need is a decent GPU/VPU that Hardware decodes nearly everything.

You can claim the best spec in the world but how cheap will your products remain, when customers start moving to other brands?

How much is the resale value of your VW now, how much brand loyalty for VW.

Yes, resellers will have reason to dismiss the true 2GHz lies and facts, after all they will have another flawed box to sell to the public.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - trogggy - 2016-09-02

(2016-09-02, 13:24)Theguyuk Wrote: Not at all and putting fingers in ears and going blaa, blaa, bla just shows how false your reply is.
Jumping from 'The specs are misleading, it's not as fast as Amlogic claimed' to 'OMG it's going to explode!' is real tin-foil hat territory.
If you're confused by the lack of anger, horror and shock around here you might want to consider that:
- most people with any sense will be buying a box based on reviews and recommendations rather than stated chip speed, which tbh means the square root of bugger-all to me. My s905 box is as fast to day as it was last week.
- they're cheap boxes which, if you choose the right one and set up properly, perform amazingly well for the price.

Tell us about a legitimate safety concern.
Tell us there's a problem with the boxes that nobody's noticed.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - JonSnow88 - 2016-09-02

If the UI is fluid and plays whatever i thow at it, thats all i care about with a Kodi box. I didn't even bother looking at the clock speed when i saw how fluid it was with Kodi. Its not like it will be slower now since the leak, sure I'm mad they lied but will it stop me from buying another box? NO. Reason being i knew when i bought it, it would be a hit/miss and it was dirt cheap in any event.

Never looked at the clock speed when i bought the Pi, specs don't mean all that much and people have to look at the overall package.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - gsmtech - 2016-09-02

Indeed if you went out and spent over the odds for your device you should be bothered, the extra money you paid is supposed to be becasue you bought into the extra R & D , testing , user support that you expect when your paying the extra.

The people who bought devices at the lower budget end of the spectrum like myself dont really care, my device does everything I expect it to I'm able to play whatever I want at good speeds I have 2gb RAM, dual band Wifi and Dual Boot Libre Elec / Android, I knew the risks when I purchased it which is why I did my homework first. My outlay on cash was mininal my support expectations zero, so win win.

It's when you've spent over the odd's expecting good support and backup from the big brands that you should expect something a statement at the very least, a refund once all the facts are proven and it turns out that these SOCS cannot run at 2ghz stable. Whats the point of an octo core CPU that can only maybe run at it's stated clock speed on a single core if even that. It still doesn't change the fact Amlogic deliberately appear to have set out to cheat by covering up in code and reporting higher clock speeds than their CPU actually runs at. This sort of behaviour is common with chineese companies that sell via eBay...But Amlogic is a USA based company there goes the so called trust in USA companies...

Theres a lot of talk about VW and emmissions cheating here, sure they cheated they got caught out, theyre paying compensation to affected users in the USA and repairing cars free of charge. We'll wait and see what beomes of the Amlogic Saga, I very much doubt that all Amlogic will go the same extents VW have to rectify there cheating or even if they do, will the vendors who produced the affected products pass the benefit on to end customers who purchased the products.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - trogggy - 2016-09-02

Can't trust Chinese companies...
Can't trust German companies...
Can't trust US companies...

I'm seeing a trend developing here.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - Draghmar - 2016-09-02

That's because you can't trust anyone...even yourself...

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - dukester - 2016-09-02

(2016-09-02, 15:19)Draghmar Wrote: That's because you can't trust anyone...even yourself...

You still should expect advertised specs to be actual!

when it comes to any other industry there are repercussions for this sort of thing.

My Amlogic device is performing great but i would be upset if i payed for a high end box with a high end price tag just to hear all this, sucks for the companies who use their SOC's currently.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - Draghmar - 2016-09-02

Ok, ok...that was only joke Tongue I already posted..somewhere...that it's bad and weird for them to do it. I expect they will state some "bug" that made this thing or they trying to wait until everyone will forget about problem.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - dukester - 2016-09-02

At least Hardkernel updated their "specs" to the actual specs and issued a statement, I would have expected WETEK to follow suit, it doesnt look good for an official Kodi sponsor to be falsely advertising their flagship devices knowing there is a problem...

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - Ned Scott - 2016-09-02

(2016-09-02, 16:14)dukester Wrote: At least Hardkernel updated their "specs" to the actual specs and issued a statement, I would have expected WETEK to follow suit, it doesnt look good for an official Kodi sponsor to be falsely advertising their flagship devices knowing there is a problem...

Sorry, I didn't follow up on asking the web guys on changing the web site. My bad. I'll try to contact them again and get it changed for WeTek.com, or see if I can get direct access to edit the pages myself (there are a few typos that have been bugging me in other pages.. ). It might take till Monday though, since it might already be the work weekend over in EU.

I agree, meaningless spec or not, the specs reported should be as clear as possible. From now on we'll make sure to only report default/production CPU clock speeds, and not what is in a spec sheet from Amlogic. Anything else will be clearly marked. For example, there might still be a close-to-2Ghz burst mode that is above normal clock, like what Intel has on some chips. If so, that would be clarified as such, and not the normal/default clock.

Anyone who feels mislead or cheated by these old specs, for the WeTek Hub or WeTek Play 2 can contact support for a full refund (and no charge to ship it back to us).

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - wrxtasy - 2016-09-03

Well someone better tell Xiaomi, China's fourth largest smartphone maker to change their advertising on the AML S9xx Xiaomi Mi Box as well:
http://www.mi.com/en/mibox/#specs

And this is going to be a Google Certified Android TV device.

Its not just the small AML sellers caught out here. Imagine Xiaomi's R&D budget with a company revenue in 2015, estimated @ USD$20 Billion, they obviously have trusted AMLogic as well.

While you AML budget guys are at it get in contact with all the Dirt Cheap AML sellers and tell them they are now falsely advertising if you really want a level playing field. If regular upset AML poster here don't then I'm going to accuse them of trolling the thread from this point onwards.

Tongue

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - danfloss - 2016-09-03

Why is this thread being clogged up with this nonsense?

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - Jeffers24 - 2016-09-03

Need all the nonsense moving to a separate thread Sleepy