Kodi Community Forum
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options (/showthread.php?tid=255686)

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - gsmtech - 2016-09-15

the only thing I would say about NEXBOX after doing a bit of reading over at LibreElec forums is that they dont seem intrested in fixing issues on their devices, their U-BOOT is broken on their devices NEXBOX dont seem interested in fixing it. Kzsaq has contacted them and they ignored him. Not sure if your power on/off issue is related to this U-Boot issue.

EDIT:

I found the info on this issue from LibreElec forums see the quote below from kszaq:

"The issue with Nexbox is that they have a broken u-boot as it doesn't allow to wake up the device in any way from suspended state. When you "power it off" in Android the only thing it does is turning off the screen, not true suspend. Implementing that in LE might be possible but I don't want to waste my time on it for manufacturer that doesn't care about community at all - multiple messages to them have all hit the wall and not only from me but from other developers as well. I don't understand why they broke u-boot in the first place yet they are known for many weird choices."

In short...avoid NEXBOX they have broken U-Boots and are not prepared to work with developers to fix the issue. If you dont need a devce right away, wait for a while to see how development pans out on the S905X and S912. Otherwise your running the risk of buying something that may never have stable software. For now normal S905 is the safest bet there are already good stable LibreElec builds available, the Android 5 build on these boxes is also relatively stable.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - wrxtasy - 2016-09-15

It will be U-boot related.
We have just been having a discussion on the LE dev chat forum about this and the standard AMLogic u-boot is buggy (anyone surprised ?). Even HDMI-CEC is causing issues if any other AML HDMI devices are plugged into a TV.

The ODROID C2's u-boot is actually the most reliable, but then a bunch of custom work has gone into it recently. This also has reliable HDMI-CEC with LE, depending on the version used.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - DEcosse - 2016-09-15

(2016-09-13, 23:32)i_am_jond Wrote: Ordered myself a Beelink MINI MXIII II (S905X 2GB / 16GB) for £32. ...

Note that the WiFi drivers are still not available for LE build as of this time of writing
See here - https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread-1176-post-12387.html#pid12387 (and subsequent posts for further discussion)

kszaq is trying to get source code for the drivers ...

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - gsmtech - 2016-09-16

(2016-09-15, 20:40)DEcosse Wrote:
(2016-09-13, 23:32)i_am_jond Wrote: Ordered myself a Beelink MINI MXIII II (S905X 2GB / 16GB) for £32. ...

Note that the WiFi drivers are still not available for LE build as of this time of writing
See here - https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread-1176-post-12387.html#pid12387 (and subsequent posts for further discussion)

kszaq is trying to get source code for the drivers ...

Indeed...these are the risks in purchasing new to market SOC's and hardware, there is no gaurantee these decvices will have good support or wether they will work well with developer community builds. Only consider new to market devices if they are cheap and your not bothered about the spending money on something that may not work properly, or if you fancy a gamble and are techncally minded enough to play around with test firmwares etc..Sometimes the gamble pays off and you may end up with a well supported device in the future.

The safe option however is to do your research and reading and findout which devices are confirmed to be working well with developer LibreElec builds like Kszaq's and Alex's builds then purchase these devices. Currently the S905 (non X) devices are the safest bet. Thats not to say that S905X wont become well supported in the future but it's very early stages at the moment..hence risky.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - i_am_jond - 2016-09-16

(2016-09-16, 11:56)gsmtech Wrote:

Indeed...these are the risks in purchasing new to market SOC's and hardware, there is no gaurantee these decvices will have good support or wether they will work well with developer community builds. Only consider new to market devices if they are cheap and your not bothered about the spending money on something that may not work properly, or if you fancy a gamble and are techncally minded enough to play around with test firmwares etc..Sometimes the gamble pays off and you may end up with a well supported device in the future.

The safe option however is to do your research and reading and findout which devices are confirmed to be working well with developer LibreElec builds like Kszaq's and Alex's builds then purchase these devices. Currently the S905 (non X) devices are the safest bet. Thats not to say that S905X wont become well supported in the future but it's very early stages at the moment..hence risky.

True, but I've already got a Shield as my main kodi player. This is just to play around with and maybe pass on to someone or use in second room if it comes good. Was interested in the Android side as well so went for a 2GB / 16GB and Android 6 device. Beelink seem's to be one of the better quality and better supported cheap brands.

Looks like Kszaq and others are already working on S905x so no doubt we will get a good build of LibreElec in the end, i'm happy to be a guinea pig tester. Guessing it will take longer to get a good build for the S912, doesn't look like there are any builds for it yet and the processor spec looks quite different to the S905/x.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - professeur83 - 2016-09-21

hello, sorry for my bad english

I have a problem with video playback and kodi With A mini m8s II S905X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtn8Kg-xIW0

sample video problem : http://jell.yfish.us/media/jellyfish-10-mbps-hd-hevc-10bit.mkv

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - gsmtech - 2016-09-23

@professeur83 Is your receiver running android 6 ? android 6 and kodi is not stable, also s905x is a relatively new chip there's no proper support for it yet.

Your better off waiting until kzsaq gets a good stable build of libreelec for the s905x working. who knows how long that could take...

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - JBLSteeve - 2016-09-23

I look after solution for update my HTPC with skylate. i think S912 can be a solution but i would like to use 4K 60hz, HDR and HD sound on hdmi ?

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - wrxtasy - 2016-09-24

Nope the S912 is unproven and will come with extremely buggy Android firmware that will very likely not even get updated. Anyone that tells you differently is lying and frankly full of bullshit.
There is no LibreELEC support for it either.

Don't believe the Marketing hype with bleeding edge Android devices, selling out of Asia
"Supported" does not mean anything will work properly with Kodi at all.

Same with S905X as gsmtech said, buggy firmware, very little support. Users are on their own trying to sort out issues. You get what you pay for.

Users get caught up in this tech Specs Arms Race without actually looking carefully if something works properly first, or even has after sales support. It's a very common problem.

I will repeat again - in relation to dirt cheap, unsupported AMLogic boxes:
Don't believe the Marketing Hype !

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - professeur83 - 2016-09-24

hello, problem solved with a fantastic update firmware that repaired full of worries and root the box
kodi can be optimized and amcodec option is present.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - professeur83 - 2016-09-24

(2016-09-23, 18:53)gsmtech Wrote: @professeur83 Is your receiver running android 6 ? android 6 and kodi is not stable, also s905x is a relatively new chip there's no proper support for it yet.

Your better off waiting until kzsaq gets a good stable build of libreelec for the s905x working. who knows how long that could take...

hello, problem solved with a fantastic update firmware that repaired full of worries and root the box
kodi can be optimized and amcodec option is present.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - JBLSteeve - 2016-09-24

(2016-09-24, 03:48)wrxtasy Wrote: Nope the S912 is unproven and will come with extremely buggy Android firmware that will very likely not even get updated. Anyone that tells you differently is lying and frankly full of bullshit.
There is no LibreELEC support for it either.

Don't believe the Marketing hype with bleeding edge Android devices, selling out of Asia
"Supported" does not mean anything will work properly with Kodi at all.

Same with S905X as gsmtech said, buggy firmware, very little support. Users are on their own trying to sort out issues. You get what you pay for.

Users get caught up in this tech Specs Arms Race without actually looking carefully if something works properly first, or even has after sales support. It's a very common problem.

I will repeat again - in relation to dirt cheap, unsupported AMLogic boxes:
Don't believe the Marketing Hype !

Thanks for your advice. I will check the other solution

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - Chris P Bacon - 2016-09-24

http://www.slashgear.com/xiaomi-mi-box-android-tv-spotted-on-shelves-at-a-walmart-23457455/

According to the above. the Xiaomi Mi box is available at Walmart in the US for $69.

[Edit] oops sorry just noticed that there is a dedicated thread for the Mi box where this info was already posted. But possibly also of interest to many reading this thread...

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - gsmtech - 2016-09-26

(2016-09-24, 12:18)Chris P Bacon Wrote: http://www.slashgear.com/xiaomi-mi-box-android-tv-spotted-on-shelves-at-a-walmart-23457455/

According to the above. the Xiaomi Mi box is available at Walmart in the US for $69.

[Edit] oops sorry just noticed that there is a dedicated thread for the Mi box where this info was already posted. But possibly also of interest to many reading this thread...

That could well be a game changer 69 dollars is cheap for a branded device that should have good support.

It's a shame it has no Ethernet port so you have to use wi-fi , also only 8gb flash... But widevine L1 support is there so Netflix HD is a possibility.

One to keep an eye on... Nothing to get too excited about right now.

RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - JonSnow88 - 2016-09-26

(2016-09-26, 16:33)gsmtech Wrote:
(2016-09-24, 12:18)Chris P Bacon Wrote: http://www.slashgear.com/xiaomi-mi-box-android-tv-spotted-on-shelves-at-a-walmart-23457455/

That could well be a game changer 69 dollars is cheap for a branded device that should have good support.

It's a shame it has no Ethernet port so you have to use wi-fi , also only 8gb flash... But widevine L1 support is there so Netflix HD is a possibility.

One to keep an eye on... Nothing to get too excited about right now.

8gb is a non issue with adoptive storage, ethernet can be added via usb.

Shame it doesn't come with higher storage and a LAN port but not a show stopper if you get a usb hub with LAN, worth the price IMO.

Hoping it gets full LE or better yet dual boot.