Kodi Community Forum
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options (/showthread.php?tid=255686)

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - bobrooney - 2016-11-01

To be precise it's "MiniMXIII", not "Mini MXIII", so you will get more search results if you go with Beelink MiniMXIII.
You have it on the ebay for 40$ with UK and US power plug and on the AE for 45$ (all power plugs).

For MiniMX you must give 2-3$ more, and you have it also on the AE.

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - gsmtech - 2016-11-10

The S905 devices are holding their values surprisingly well...even though newer S905X and S912 devices are out. Infact S905 devices are the roughly the same price of S905X devices. This must be due to the LibreElec running so well on the S905 devices that they are keeping prices high.

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - bobrooney - 2016-11-10

Chinese low budget tv boxes in general are holding their prices. They go down maximum 10-15%. I don't think it related to LE or SoC, its more a low margin and price thing.
Take for example Beelink X2. When it came out last year the price was around 32$. On flash sales you could find it for ~28$ at that time, and today its also selling for ~28$. You cannot run LE on X2 and it is not so good box in general.

The thing that is strange to me with low budget S905 boxes, is that you cannot find them so easily anymore! Especially with 2 gigs of RAM and EU plug.

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - hdmkv - 2016-11-11

I know... I tried looking for one. But, found a Beelink MiniMXIII S905 2GB/16GB on GearBest for $44 and ordered. Wish I'd kept my Tronsmart or Minix review units... didn't expect LibreELEC to improve to point it has for S905. Curious to check out.

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - wrxtasy - 2016-11-11

Just flash LE 7.1 to a micro SDHC card for that Play2 you have and dual boot.

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - raumich - 2016-11-11

Currently I'm using a Beelink GT1. Is there a box <100USD that would be better than this. I need 2GB/16GB and I mainly want to use KODI to stream 1080p X265 codec.

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - wrxtasy - 2016-11-11

Is the issue you have a green picture when trying to playback 1080p HEVC (h265) with AML Android 6.0 Marshmallow Firmware ?
The reason I ask is this is now a common problem with AML Marshmallow on a number of different AML S9xx platforms.

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - raumich - 2016-11-12

(2016-11-11, 13:21)wrxtasy Wrote: Is the issue you have a green picture when trying to playback 1080p HEVC (h265) with AML Android 6.0 Marshmallow Firmware ?
The reason I ask is this is now a common problem with AML Marshmallow on a number of different AML S9xx platforms.

I heard about the green screen but I haven't had one yet. But I'm getting system freezes all the time. Sometimes even while the system is still booting.Having this box for a week now. Still time to return it. But this only makes sense if there will be an alternative.

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - bobrooney - 2016-11-12

Beelink Mini MX and Beelink MiniMXIII are good alternatives.
When looking for Mini MX look for the version with 2 GB of RAM, and with MiniMXIII be careful, there is "MiniMXIII II" with AML S905X SoC. I would suggest to stick with S905.

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - wrxtasy - 2016-11-12

And stay away from unsupported AML S905 devices running Android 6.0, unless reflashing to LibreELEC.

(2016-11-12, 01:25)bobrooney Wrote: Beelink Mini MX and Beelink MiniMXIII are good alternatives.
When looking for Mini MX look for the version with 2 GB of RAM, and with MiniMXIII be careful, there is "MiniMXIII II" with AML S905X SoC. I would suggest to stick with S905.

I'm not sure. I read several postings in the forum from Beelink because of my Freeze-Problem (yesterday the unit ran the whole day without a single freeze Huh). Several complaints about them not reacting to the customers. It seems this is only a small team and I'm not sure if they don't answer because they invest all the time in updates or if they they don't answer because they don't care for the customers. If I change my unit, I won't change to another Beelink. How important is it to have Gigabit-Lan for streaming X265? S905 only has 100mbit

(2016-11-12, 04:05)wrxtasy Wrote: And stay away from unsupported AML S905 devices running Android 6.0, unless reflashing to LibreELEC.
What do you mean with unsupported? How can I'm be sure of good support?
I read "START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Nov 2016)". Minix is a little bit to expensive (the MINIX NEO U1 costs twice as much and doesn't even have offical dts), The U9 is not even out and the X8 only has Android 4.4. The Xiamoni X4 has only 8G, the same with WekTek.

Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - bobrooney - 2016-11-12

(2016-11-12, 09:48)raumich Wrote:
(2016-11-12, 01:25)bobrooney Wrote: Beelink Mini MX and Beelink MiniMXIII are good alternatives.

I'm not sure. I read several postings in the forum from Beelink because of my Freeze-Problem (yesterday the unit ran the whole day without a single freeze Huh). Several complaints about them not reacting to the customers. It seems this is only a small team and I'm not sure if they don't answer because they invest all the time in updates or if they they don't answer because they don't care for the customers. If I change my unit, I won't change to another Beelink. How important is it to have Gigabit-Lan for streaming X265? S905 only has 100mbit

It is true that Beelink doesn't have good support, but if you pay 40$ for S905 device with 2 gigs of ram what kind of support can you expect? Support is always calculated in the price.

However, I suggested you those two devices because, from my experience and experience from many many other people, you will not need a official support. Those two boxes are working great out of box, and if that is not enough you can put LibreElec on them you will have excellent support.

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - wrxtasy - 2016-11-12

(2016-11-12, 09:56)raumich Wrote: What do you mean with unsupported? How can I'm be sure of good support?
I mean virtually next to no after sales support. No English Help forums. Boxes from Ship and Forget sellers, like....
(2016-11-12, 09:48)raumich Wrote: ...I read several postings in the forum from Beelink because of my Freeze-Problem (yesterday the unit ran the whole day without a single freeze Huh). Several complaints about them not reacting to the customers. It seems this is only a small team and I'm not sure if they don't answer because they invest all the time in updates or if they they don't answer because they don't care for the customers. If I change my unit, I won't change to another Beelink.
Now compare this to say Android devices from Multinational tech media companies like Google, nVIDIA & Amazon. Or the ones providing good after sales Firmware and Forum support for quite a while now like MINIX and WeTek. Its pretty much DIY with "unsupported" cheap Android devices.

After sales support from Xiaomi with their Mi Box remains to be seen. But they are a massive Multinational tech company with lots of Android OS experience.

You get what you pay for with Android in the end.

(2016-11-12, 10:45)bobrooney Wrote: It is true that Beelink doesn't have good support, but if you pay 40$ for S905 device with 2 gigs of ram what kind of support can you expect? Support is always calculated in the price.

Price is not the issue! If I paid 40$ I want a product that works out of the box. If they can't do it for 40$ then they shouldn't have done it. I don't ask for updates, I'm looking for a working product.
I can't sell a car for 20.000 USD that stops working every second day. And the solution can't be: You should have bought a Mercedes which cost twice as much..

I don't care about features that other boxes have but this don't. This is what makes a difference between a cheap car and a Mercedes. But the features that are implemented should work without flaws.
Support is not: Working or not working. Support is updating something to make "change happened" work on an old system again. Bring Netflix to a system that was build before Netflix existed. Make Kodi work again since the new update isn't working on the Box anymore. This is support.

I'm just looking for an android box that is working without flaws out of the box.

<100USD
2GB/16GB
KODI to stream 1080p X265 codec

Besides my GT1 I have a FireTV Kodi works great on this but sadly no X265. FireTV2 would be a good option but only 8GB and since my Kodi Library is reeeaallllyy big I would run out of Space pretty soon. Thats why I bought the Beelink with 16GB. It seems there is no such secret box that works better than others for the same price.Thanks anyway.