Kodi Community Forum
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options (/showthread.php?tid=255686)

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - gsmtech - 2016-11-19

(2016-11-18, 23:42)darkal1en Wrote:
(2016-11-18, 15:10)gsmtech Wrote: Heads up for UK based people.The mini m8s II box is on offer at gearbest ,25.65 GBP with free priority UK delivery for faster delivery from China. This is dirt cheap.

-Amlogic S905X (yes , the X )
-2Gb RAM
-16gb Flash

Sadly only 100meg LAN and only 2.4ghz WiFi. To be expected at this low price though.Definitely worth a punt now that S905X support is coming along nicely in LibreElec.

Use the code M8SBF to get the price down at checkout, make sure to select UK priority delivery as well it's free and should be faster.

The WiFi will probably have poor range so this device is better off for wired usage. Use LibreElec on this for kodi as it's android 6 so LibreElec will be better on this .

NOTE: I don't know what LibreElec support is like on this box. So do some reading on libre Elec forums first before you purchase.
I have just ordered one of these fancied a play around with and test. Got it for £28.85 as code did not work.

Thanks

Sent from my A0001 (typie typie)

Yes, your right the code has now expired/reached its usage limit still not a bad price at £28.65, I managed to use the code earlier today just before I posted here.

beelink mxiii ii is probably better for a s905x it has 1gb Ethernet but it also costs more than the m8s II

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - Doreen1959 - 2016-11-19

I need help understanding this forum. Can you assist?

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - hdmkv - 2016-11-19

Um, that's too vague... assist you with what? What are you looking for in a Kodi-based media player? Have you looked here first?

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - Vitalero - 2016-11-21

Followed @gsmtech and @Jeffers24 and got me a Beelink s905x to test and learn how it all goes, it cheaps so I didnt mind, got LibreELEC on sdcard and it works smooth, my parents extremely happy and so far every single video works, even 3d videos [they got a 55' 3d tv]. I am extremely thankfull to these guys, I could have spend double or triple on other boxes which are rated higher here but instead got me a box for 47$ inc shipping, in 1month of use I had to reboot by removing the power cable only like 3 times, pretty smooth and the 2GB ram helps for buffering and cache manipulation of Kodi.
Regarding my own personal box, I will either pick another Beelink on Black Friday amazon/ebay this week or maybe wait for some nice Odroid newer version or even RPI4 if it will come with 2GB, will be happy to have one of those.

This Hardware sub-forum is extremely helpful, thank you Mr. wrxtasy for the guidance and opening the door to that cheap computer chips [rpi/od/bpi/pineA4] was researching about them after our conversation for a few weeks.

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - gsmtech - 2016-11-23

(2016-11-21, 22:35)Vitalero Wrote: Followed @gsmtech and @Jeffers24 and got me a Beelink s905x to test and learn how it all goes, it cheaps so I didnt mind, got LibreELEC on sdcard and it works smooth, my parents extremely happy and so far every single video works, even 3d videos [they got a 55' 3d tv]. I am extremely thankfull to these guys, I could have spend double or triple on other boxes which are rated higher here but instead got me a box for 47$ inc shipping, in 1month of use I had to reboot by removing the power cable only like 3 times, pretty smooth and the 2GB ram helps for buffering and cache manipulation of Kodi.
Regarding my own personal box, I will either pick another Beelink on Black Friday amazon/ebay this week or maybe wait for some nice Odroid newer version or even RPI4 if it will come with 2GB, will be happy to have one of those.

This Hardware sub-forum is extremely helpful, thank you Mr. wrxtasy for the guidance and opening the door to that cheap computer chips [rpi/od/bpi/pineA4] was researching about them after our conversation for a few weeks.

Well done for getting yourself a very capable device at a bargain price. I've said before anyone who's prepared to invest a little bit of time doing some reading and research and who has basic IT skills can get themselves a very good Kodi experience on a cheap Amlogic device.

Very easy to setup LibreElec on these devices to unleash their potential. If you need DRM content such as Neflx HD etc then a budget device wont fit the bill as they dont support Widevine L1 , but for most other general video playback they are spot on and cannot be beaten for price \ performance.

Most of the credit must go to the LibreElec community, developers and contributors who make it possible to unleash the potential of these budget devices, the manuacturers of the devices themselves generally provide Android builds which are broken for a lot of Kodi features like audio passthrough, dynamic refresh rate switching, fractional frame rates etc.. Although I have seen that Tanix and Tronsmart android firmares that have been ported for usage on some budget devices with workarounds for various issues.

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - hdmkv - 2016-11-23

Need to update post #1 of this thread at some point. I just installed LibreELEC onto NAND of my Beelink MiniMXIII (S905 w/2GB/16GB) box and it's fantastic. Tried Kodi 16 first, and UI was a bit sluggish, then Kodi 17, and it's very smooth. Perfect framerates, full HD audio bitstreaming, pure Kodi like Chromebox, at almost 1/3 the price. Can't beat it!

BTW, as I haven't kept up, why is S905 better than S905X, and what's the issue w/1GB RAM (vs. 2GB)? S9212 isn't recommended because there isn't Linux support for it right? Recall reading something about the necessary Linux drivers not being available yet for it?

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - trogggy - 2016-11-23

There's reportedly a bug which means some 1GB boxes are running out of memory on browsing up and down lists. I think I've got that right - never seen a problem on my 2GB box.
And yep, Beelink minimxiii + kzaq's libreelec krypton builds = fantastic. My second one arrived yesterday!
I'm not sure S905 is still better than S905X for libreelec though - especially as kszaq posted that he has an mxiii 2 (S905X version) in the post.

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - hdmkv - 2016-11-23

Ah, good to know... maybe having 2GB RAM is fine as long as it's a S905 or S905X. Former is getting harder and harder to find (at a decent budget price).

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - gsmtech - 2016-11-24

Yup, thats right as I understand it LibreElec suffers from a memory leak whereby after you stop playing video streams the CPU doesnt free up the RAM that was allocated while the stream was playing, it becomes worse if you have librarys with lots of thumbnails as your memory usage will creep up , eventually the box will run out of RAM and crash. This issues affects the 1Gb RAM boxes much more because they have less RAM to begin with it fills up quicker.
This is a general Amlogic / LibreElec thing so every Amlogic device is affected not just really cheap budget devices Odroid, wetek, etc etc also have the same issue under LibreElec. Personally I havent been affected by this issue, as I generally dont leave my device on 24/7 I switch it off when I've finished watching , you'll see the issue more frequently if you leave the device on 24/7 . So yes, dont buy a 1Gb RAM device defiinitely go for 2Gb or more.

S905 vs S905X not much in it, S905X supports VP9 and HDR support. Some devices had issues with WiFi and Bluetooth drivers not being avialable for LibreElec so if your buying S905x make sure to do some reading first, but other than that I think S905X video playback support is coming along well for S905X devices, and as the price difference between S905 and S905X is minimal...infact theyre about the same price sometime S905X is actually cheaper when on offer, may be worth going for S905X instead. S905 support is still better but the gap is closing.. Yes, no S912 dev support for LibreElec at this point...so best off avoided for now..

I have a S905X device on order, awaiting delivery, I didnt really need it but it was on promotion and the price was good...(almost 50% cheaper than what I paid for my S905 box, 6 months ago) I'll stick LibreElec on when it arrives and have a play.

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - crashnburn - 2016-11-25

(2016-11-23, 23:36)trogggy Wrote: There's reportedly a bug which means some 1GB boxes are running out of memory on browsing up and down lists. I think I've got that right - never seen a problem on my 2GB box.
And yep, Beelink minimxiii + kzaq's libreelec krypton builds = fantastic. My second one arrived yesterday!
I'm not sure S905 is still better than S905X for libreelec though - especially as kszaq posted that he has an mxiii 2 (S905X version) in the post.

Interesting. I will save this.

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - Ned Scott - 2016-11-25

Just on OE/LE, and even then it's not always consistent for all users for how aggressive the memory leak is. Kodi on Android does not have the memory leak issue.

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - darkal1en - 2016-12-03

Hi all, I'm a noob to LibreELEC but having stumbled across this thread I decided to purchase a budget AMLogic box, I have a Mini M8S ll with a S905X SOC and 2gb of RAM.
What I want to do is fi d the latest LibreELEC firmware for my box and some easy to follow instructions on how to load this onto my box and run Kodi, (Krypton). Is it best to use an SD Card or a USB stick for this?

Any help is much appreciated.

Sent from my A0001

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - wrxtasy - 2016-12-03

Gday, you can install LibreELEC Kodi to either a microSDHC card (Samsung EVO(+) recommended) or overwrite the internal flash memory.

Dual boot is possible if using the microSDHC method.
All instructions and support for that are over in the LibreELEC - AMLogic sub-forum:
https://forum.libreelec.tv/forum-38.html

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - hdmkv - 2016-12-03

With my Beelink S905, I'm noticing that 23.976 videos are being output at 24.000. Had thought Beelink MiniMXIII w/LE could do 23.976?

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - darkal1en - 2016-12-03

I'm trying to use the libreELEC USB-SD Creator I have a M8S ii box which is not one of the drop down options available. How do I proceed? Is there another way to so this?

Sent from my A0001