Kodi Community Forum
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options (/showthread.php?tid=255686)

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - gsmtech - 2016-12-03

(2016-12-03, 18:22)hdmkv Wrote: With my Beelink S905, I'm noticing that 23.976 videos are being output at 24.000. Had thought Beelink MiniMXIII w/LE could do 23.976?

That is probably because you are running Krypton. Fractional frame rate is not working yet on Amlogic devices with libreElec Krypton builds, although this is expected to be fixed pretty soon one of Kszaqs posts on LibreElec forum says that codesnake has released some patches that may solve this issue.

Meanwhile if your running LE Jarvis builds then fractional frame rate is working fine on Amlogic S905 devices including the Beelink MiniMxIII.

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - gsmtech - 2016-12-03

(2016-12-03, 18:22)darkal1en Wrote: I'm trying to use the libreELEC USB-SD Creator I have a M8S ii box which is not one of the drop down options available. How do I proceed? Is there another way to so this?

Sent from my A0001 (typie typie)

Try using Rufus to write the image to SD card for you. Dont forget to use copy across a compatible device tree as well.

Also Krypton is still in the very early alpha stage on LibreElec builds, so don't expect everything to be working ! Use the Jarvis builds instead if your looking for most features working properly.

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - hdmkv - 2016-12-04

(2016-12-03, 22:14)gsmtech Wrote:
(2016-12-03, 18:22)hdmkv Wrote: With my Beelink S905, I'm noticing that 23.976 videos are being output at 24.000. Had thought Beelink MiniMXIII w/LE could do 23.976?

That is probably because you are running Krypton. Fractional frame rate is not working yet on Amlogic devices with libreElec Krypton builds, although this is expected to be fixed pretty soon one of Kszaqs posts on LibreElec forum says that codesnake has released some patches that may solve this issue.

Meanwhile if your running LE Jarvis builds then fractional frame rate is working fine on Amlogic S905 devices including the Beelink MiniMxIII.
And you would be correct... I'll wait as the Artic skin I want is now only supported on Krypton. Thanks.

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - wrxtasy - 2016-12-04

Yes two - soon to be fixed problems with all LibreELEC Kodi Krypton platforms at the moment - 23.976 / 29.97 / 59.94fps video sync and the memory leak issue.

The memory leak issue has been identified and fixes are being put in place. Yes patches I've been told are coming to fix video sync. Plus there will be a few more nice additions to LibreELEC AMLogic. Some really good work going on at the moment, leveraging all that is good about Open Source Software development. Smile

@hdmkv,
jurialmunkey's - Eminence 2.0 is really nice on Kodi Krypton as well. I really love his Less is More - elegant Skinning approach. I'm a Big Fan ! Smile

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - hdmkv - 2016-12-11

Guys, assuming the memory leak issue will soon be fixed... what's a decent and cheap S905X box? Not finding much of a selection of S905 anymore.

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - Jeffers24 - 2016-12-11

(2016-12-11, 02:07)hdmkv Wrote: Guys, assuming the memory leak issue will soon be fixed... what's a decent and cheap S905X box? Not finding much of a selection of S905 anymore.

Beelink MiniMXlll ll, the S905X successor to their S905

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - Vitalero - 2016-12-11

(2016-12-11, 06:33)Jeffers24 Wrote:
(2016-12-11, 02:07)hdmkv Wrote: Guys, assuming the memory leak issue will soon be fixed... what's a decent and cheap S905X box? Not finding much of a selection of S905 anymore.

Beelink MiniMXlll ll, the S905X successor to their S905

I also noticed most S905 boxes like MiniMXIII [1st version] disappeared, and the s905x boxes are now more expensive by 12$[thats 25% raise]
Almost like people start to understand that S905 is better, and S905x is also better than S912 and other boxes like MINIX and such for just the use of Kodi

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - JonSnow88 - 2016-12-12

You can still find the Beelink s905 on a site called G***B**T with the UK plug. Just search for Beelink MiniMXIII TV Box 1000M LAN

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - d'Wooluf - 2016-12-12

I bought the MiniMxIII II on impulse. Based on the standard Android install (updated to latest) I'm finding it a bit underwhelming. I've got a Raspberry Pi 2 right next to it. Same tv, same wireless network. The Pi with a Realtek wifi dongle maintains a solid network connection. The Beelink rebuffers all the time. The colours on the Beelink are washed out compared to the Pi. It's not a subtle difference. I'm waiting for a bit of time and for Kazaq's builds builds to approach stability before I try LE. Right now it's not being used.

(2016-12-12, 04:11)dWooluf Wrote: I bought the MiniMxIII II on impulse. Based on the standard Android install (updated to latest) I'm finding it a bit underwhelming.

Ok. I got around to installing the latest Kazaq build of LibreElec, running on a microSD card. Night and day in my opinion. Picture quality is a lot better than on Android. I can connect and hold a connection on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. The gui is about as responsive as the Pi2 which is good enough for me. It will probably improve if/when I install to internal memory. Even the power button works as you'd expect. Bluetooth isn't working but I already knew that. Now to get hold of some hevc files and give that a whirl.

(2016-12-03, 18:22)darkal1en Wrote: I'm trying to use the libreELEC USB-SD Creator I have a M8S ii box which is not one of the drop down options available. How do I proceed? Is there another way to so this?

Download the file manually, click on "select file" in USB-SD Creator and go from there.

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - gsmtech - 2016-12-12

The WiFi drivers for Aigale chipsets as used on the Beelink MiniMX III II are now included in kszaqs LibreElec builds, so the WiFi is working out od the box on LibreElec. The S905X devices that are supported in LibreElec now generally work fine and you get extra codec support VP9 etc, so theres probably no need to look for older S905 devices anymore....other than if yuo want Gigabit LAN, I donty seem to come across S905X devices with Gigabit LAN.

I recieved a S905X MiniM8S II (2G/16G) device which I managed to get a very good price just before black friday, LibreElec runs very well on this device it's also faster to boot and use in normal operation than my S905 MiniMX as well...not sure why this is..maybe faster flash memory or RAM. The downsides compared to s905 MiniMX , is that I only have 100meg LAN and 2.4ghz wifi, on the MiniM8s vs gigabit LAN and dual band WiFi on the MiniMX. But so far I've noticed no disadvantages to 100meg LAN and 2.4ghz WiFi in usage, I have streamed 1080P HD content over WiFi with no issues. Almost all of my contect is streamed from online , i.e: I dont have much local content on my LAN or NAS so 100meg ethernet more than adequate... Especially when I only paid 25 GBP delivered....astonoshing price/performance ratio.

Intrestingly the case for the MiniM8S II is almost exactly the same as the MiniMX in terrms of shape, size, location of ports etc..The only minor difference is the MiniM8SII has rounded corners and the remote control is better than the one bundled with thw MiniMX. The power suipplies are exactly the same.. The MiniM8S II appears to be a MBOX accoridng to boot logo, intrestingly, it also displays a Google TV boot logo before the MBOX boot logo.

The bad points, the standard android build, came with kodi jarvis preinstalled wiith all manner of banned plugins, and the version of Kodi itself seemed to hang when you tried to exit it. However easy to uninstall that version of Kodi, which also deletes all the plugins and install official versions from play store of Kodi and SPMC, the official versions run fine with no hangiing on exit. As previusly mentioned though, LibreElec is my preferred kodi platform and the latest 7.0.3.10 build works extremely well , I'm running the 32 bit build and the memory leak issue seems to be be fixed Smile

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - Hansje - 2016-12-12

Just want to give a thumbs up for Kazaq's libreelec 7.0.3.10 build.

It runs fine on my newly purchased S905 2/16GB Q-box.
Burned the 7.0.3 build with the gxbb_p200_2G_1Gbit.dtb device tree on an old USB stick using Rufus.
After some messing and retrying (unplugged USB-remote-control stick and LAN), the Q-box booted libreelec using the toothpick method.

A cheap S905(X) box is IMO clearly the way to go if you want Kodi on a budget, while skipping all the noise and trouble that comes with Android.

The only thing I'm missing is a decent normal web browser in libreelec...

Thank you Kodi team and Kazaq!

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - gsmtech - 2016-12-12

(2016-12-12, 14:33)Hansje Wrote: Just want to give a thumbs up for Kazaq's libreelec 7.0.3.10 build.

It runs fine on my newly purchased S905 2/16GB Q-box.
Burned the 7.0.3 build with the gxbb_p200_2G_1Gbit.dtb device tree on an old USB stick using Rufus.
After some messing and retrying, the Q-box booted libreelec using the toothpick method.

A cheap S905(X) box is IMO clearly the way to go if you want Kodi on a budget, while skipping all the noise and trouble that comes with Android.

The only thing I'm missing is a decent normal web browser in libreelec...

Thank you Kodi team and Kazaq!

Thats the beauty of dual boot though on USB or SD card, you can always boot into android for web browsing Smile

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - Hansje - 2016-12-12

"Thats the beauty of dual boot though on USB or SD card, you can always boot into android for web browsing"

Indeed. Haven't put libreelec yet on internal memory. But as long as you don't unplugg power to the device, libreelec just sleeps/wakes upp using the remote power button.

Actually, thought of a "poor mans dual boot" solution by mounting a little switch to the Q-box, and wire it in parallel with the "tooth pick switch" behind the 3.5 mm connector.

One can perhaps use a multi section toggle switch that simultaneously powers on/off the device. Otherwise just a separate switch for power would be fine as well.

Another wild thought is to wire the Q-box LED control output (that can be controlled by some remotes) to a simple transistor circruity that controls the tooth pic switch on the PCB. In that case, dual boot could be done from the remote...

Edit: I couldn't find the "Reboot to recovery" on my box running Android 6.01. Guess that would have made things a bit easier.