Kodi Community Forum
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options (/showthread.php?tid=255686)

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - feathers - 2017-09-15

S912 vs S905X.

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - failax - 2017-09-15

For Libreelec use what device do you suggest (i'm not particulary interested on netflix HD)?I see that Mecool M8s Pro+ is well followed, do you advice against s912 amlogic devices?Among dozens of chinese tv box, what is the best with wifi?

Thanks

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - JonSnow88 - 2017-09-16

As of today best to go with s912 as that is now the best LE experience, since kszaq gas fixed the Gui tearing issue. If you want a more stable platform stick to s905x.

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - wrxtasy - 2017-09-16

(2017-09-15, 11:26)failax Wrote: For Libreelec use what device do you suggest (i'm not particulary interested on netflix HD)?I see that Mecool M8s Pro+ is well followed, do you advice against s912 amlogic devices?Among dozens of chinese tv box, what is the best with wifi?

Thanks
Yes grab a M8S Pro if you are not interested in HD Netflix and need decent AC WiFi.

Best AMLogic WiFi = MIMO (Dual Antennas) 2.4/5GHz dual band AC WiFi - only found so far on the MINIX S912 U9-H & MINIX S905 U1

The Videostrong - S912 MECOOL M8S Pro comes with 2.4G/5G a/b/g/n/AC WiFi and it is using a Qualcomm QCA9377 chipset.

There is QCA9377 Linux / LibreELEC WiFi / Bluetooth drivers support in @kszaq's 8.1.7 LibreELEC Kodi Krypton. Smile

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - failax - 2017-09-16

(2017-09-16, 06:54)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-09-15, 11:26)failax Wrote: For Libreelec use what device do you suggest (i'm not particulary interested on netflix HD)?I see that Mecool M8s Pro+ is well followed, do you advice against s912 amlogic devices?Among dozens of chinese tv box, what is the best with wifi?

Thanks
Yes grab a M8S Pro if you are not interested in HD Netflix and need decent AC WiFi.

The Videostrong - S912 MECOOL M8S Pro comes with 2.4G/5G a/b/g/n/AC WiFi and it is using a Qualcomm QCA9377 chipset.

There is QCA9377 Linux / LibreELEC WiFi / Bluetooth drivers support in @kszaq's 8.1.7 LibreELEC Kodi Krypton. Smile

So If I buy S912 MECOOL M8S Pro I can have Librelec perfectly running (automatic refresh rate) and decent wifi?

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - melhemk - 2017-09-16

Can anyone please confirm if this is the correct Mecool M8S PRO+ (as it does not say plus in the title, and Spanish is not my first language).
https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B073XZMMXB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A2PJ2OBO977AGR&psc=1
I think it is the correct one as I see a picture talking about HDCP and Widevine, but I want to make sure.
Due to very tight pick up schedule, I have to buy it from amazon Spain.

Another question, does these Libreelec builds have Netflix and Amazon addons working like millhouse builds?

(2017-09-16, 12:14)failax Wrote: So If I buy S912 MECOOL M8S Pro I can have Librelec perfectly running (automatic refresh rate) and decent wifi?
If you want the best WiFi buy a MINIX U9-H

The Videostrong KIII Pro is basically a M8S Pro with a TV Tuner attached....I've already told you WiFi works on the M8S Pro.

libreelec-8-2-for-s912

No media player Box is "perfect". Simply none of them are, but we do know ones that work well.

All Amlogic LibreELEC S9xx boxes do HD Audio passthrough and auto refresh and auto resolution switching.

(2017-09-16, 12:22)melhemk Wrote: Can anyone please confirm if this is the correct Mecool M8S PRO+ (as it does not say plus in the title, and Spanish is not my first language).
https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B073XZMMXB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A2PJ2OBO977AGR&psc=1
I think it is the correct one as I see a picture talking about HDCP and Widevine, but I want to make sure.
Due to very tight pick up schedule, I have to buy it from amazon Spain.

Another question, does these Libreelec builds have Netflix and Amazon addons working like millhouse builds?

That is the correct MECOOL.

Be aware there have already been 3 reports of unreliable MECOOL M8S Pro+ boxes badly disrupting household WiFi connections, rendering their home internet unusable when the box is connected. No idea what the reason is, read the reports over on Freaktab Website.

So moral of the story do not buy ultra budget devices believing everything is going to work 100% out of the box for everybody. Make sure you can always return the device.

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - failax - 2017-09-16

(2017-09-16, 13:07)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-09-16, 12:14)failax Wrote: So If I buy S912 MECOOL M8S Pro I can have Librelec perfectly running (automatic refresh rate) and decent wifi?
If you want the best WiFi buy a MINIX U9-H

The Videostrong KIII Pro is basically a M8S Pro with a TV Tuner attached....I've already told you WiFi works on the M8S Pro.

libreelec-8-2-for-s912

No media player Box is "perfect". Simply none of them are, but we do know ones that work well.

All Amlogic LibreELEC S9xx boxes do HD Audio passthrough and auto refresh and auto resolution switching.

Ok thank you very much, I'll buy M8S pro and I'll install Libreelec on it ;-)

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - seppi2204 - 2017-09-16

@wrxtasy: Hi, I've read about your dual-boot setup with the Minix NEO U9-H and I'm pretty interested in buying exactly the same setup for my newly bought LG OLED 4k TV. It would be great if you could share some additional informations which I couldn't reliable determine when reading some pages of this thread.
> Network performance: I've seen that the device got some limitations regarding network speed. Are there improvements when using the device with libreelec? What speed can be reached?
> HDR: When I'm correct the Minix support any available HDR Format including Dolby Vision. But in the Android OS it doesn't seem to recognize the HDR Metadata and therefore doesn't output a HDR Signal. Could you test this behaviour? Whats the case in Libreelec?

(2017-09-16, 14:31)seppi2204 Wrote: @wrxtasy: Hi, I've read about your dual-boot setup with the Minix NEO U9-H and I'm pretty interested in buying exactly the same setup for my newly bought LG OLED 4k TV. It would be great if you could share some additional informations which I couldn't reliable determine when reading some pages of this thread.

Quote:> Network performance: I've seen that the device got some limitations regarding network speed. Are there improvements when using the device with libreelec? What speed can be reached?
There were some early WiFi SMB performance issues early on when the S912's were released. Not sure if they were fixed. They likely have been. Best to join the MINIX forums and ask that specific SMB / WiFi question.

To be honest I hardly ever use WiFi and SMB. Always Gigabit LAN and SMB seems fine even when testing High Bitrate 4K.
Have not seen any reports from MINIX forums of Android users reporting about poor SMB speeds, even from the 4K viewing guys.
MINIX U9 - LibreELEC has no issues either with LAN. WiFi seems fine as well.

Quote:> HDR: When I'm correct the Minix support any available HDR Format including Dolby Vision. But in the Android OS it doesn't seem to recognize the HDR Metadata and therefore doesn't output a HDR Signal. Could you test this behaviour? Whats the case in Libreelec?

@wesk05 would be them man that know the status of U9 HDR, I have no HDR TV - only a 10bit non HDR TV.

There have been 6 Android Firmware updates since the U9 has come out that have fixed a bunch of HDR output issues.
LibreELEC Kodi Krypton on S905X, S905D and S912 using @kszaq LibreELEC releases now supports HDR10 output.

Not sure if anyone has even tested Dolbyvision yet on a DV TV to be honest - the S912 with correct Firmware is certainly capable both with Android and LibreELEC. Dolbyvision clips definitely play - its the correct, metadata mapping that needs testing.

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - wesk05 - 2017-09-17

(2017-09-16, 15:04)wrxtasy Wrote:
Quote: HDR: When I'm correct the Minix support any available HDR Format including Dolby Vision. But in the Android OS it doesn't seem to recognize the HDR Metadata and therefore doesn't output a HDR Signal. Could you test this behaviour? Whats the case in Libreelec?

@wesk05 would be them man that know the status of U9 HDR, I have no HDR TV - only a 10bit non HDR TV.

There have been 6 Android Firmware updates since the U9 has come out that have fixed a bunch of HDR output issues.
LibreELEC Kodi Krypton on S905X, S905D and S912 using @kszaq LibreELEC releases now supports HDR10 output.

Not sure if anyone has even tested Dolbyvision yet on a DV TV to be honest - the S912 with correct Firmware is certainly capable both with Android and LibreELEC. Dolbyvision clips definitely play - its the correct, metadata mapping that needs testing.
HDR10 metadata passthrough isn't a problem on U9-H. I would be glad to be proven wrong, but I think Dolby Vision support may require a "special" SDK from Amlogic or even a different revision of the SoC. HLG also doesn't work. I have seen HDMI 2.0b being mentioned for S912 SoCs. I am not sure whether the port is actually HDMI 2.0b or not.

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - seppi2204 - 2017-09-17

(2017-09-17, 08:54)wesk05 Wrote:
(2017-09-16, 15:04)wrxtasy Wrote:
Quote: HDR: When I'm correct the Minix support any available HDR Format including Dolby Vision. But in the Android OS it doesn't seem to recognize the HDR Metadata and therefore doesn't output a HDR Signal. Could you test this behaviour? Whats the case in Libreelec?

HDR10 metadata passthrough isn't a problem on U9-H. I would be glad to be proven wrong, but I think Dolby Vision support may require a "special" SDK from Amlogic or even a different revision of the SoC. HLG also doesn't work. I have seen HDMI 2.0b being mentioned for S912 SoCs. I am not sure whether the port is actually HDMI 2.0b or not.

Hmm,.. I just found this interesting article (https://www.newswire.com/news/amlogic-transforms-the-tv-experience-with-dolby-vision-technology-14570757), which mentions that the minix supports the Dolby Vision format. What exactly is meant here with supporting? Just the ability to playback media with this format without passthroughing the metadata content?

From my point of view it's critical for a media player to support this format, as it seems to get the new HDR standard for Blu-Ray Discs and therefore any dynamic HDR content in the next time. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just starting to get an overview of this HDR/4k Format Jungle.

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - wrxtasy - 2017-09-17

The S912 Chipset is Dolbyvision capable, but the AMLogic Android Firmware / LibreELEC Firmware and Linux Kernel used has to add proper codebase support to get it working.
No idea when and if that will even happen.

"Supported" in hardware tech advertising does not necessarily mean there is Software support to use certain features.

At the moment DV is not working on any S912's - at least with Android - not sure about LibreELEC - again @wesk05 would be the one to test.

RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - adam149 - 2017-09-18

Wondering if someone can help. I installed librelec+Kodi to my internal nand (MECOOL) after using it for a while from my microSD card. I now seem to be experiencing a lot of buffering from my SMB shares. If I boot back to my microSD card, there is hardly any buffering and it's really quick when skipping through a large mkv file. Any ideas?