Kodi Community Forum
ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $46 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $46 (/showthread.php?tid=258707)

RE: ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $40 - winterfell44 - 2016-05-04

New installs are using the latest build here - Final.DVD.CEC?

http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=20415

And any recommendations for a compatible AU power adapter?

RE: ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $40 - wrxtasy - 2016-05-04

I just use an old iPhone or iPad USB charger and a HardKernel USB-DC Plug Cable, although a USB2.0-OTG cable works just as well.

You can get a power supply, and an Oz adapter but its not really needed as AML boards draw far less power than the RPi ones.
Even if you were adding a 2.5" USB HDD, I would still not trust a power supply to give you reliability and use a powered USB hub instead.

(2016-05-03, 10:01)noggin Wrote:
(2016-05-03, 06:16)wrxtasy Wrote: VC-1 content playback still has some minor stuttering issues on AML S905's

I think that's a bit of an understatement. Interlaced VC-1 is currently very broken, not just minor stuttering. 1080/59.94i (aka 1080i29.97) is unwatchable. (Interlaced VC-1 is also very broken on Linux Intel systems, though fine on Intel under Windows, and also fine on the Raspberry Pi, with a couple of exceptions that are being investigated)
I'm testing out samples from here:
http://kodi.wiki/view/Samples

Then I have other clips that play perfectly fine, so yes VC-1 (inc WMV3) is still a WIP.
Thank goodness Interlaced VC-1 is pretty rare.

RE: ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $40 - winterfell44 - 2016-05-04

Just about ready to purchase. Are there any playback differences currently between using Libreelec and using the Android/Lollipop version of Kodi that comes on the eMMC module direct from Hardkernel?

RE: ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $40 - wrxtasy - 2016-05-04

Yes a LOT.

The Android version of Kodi is not a custom job like LibreELEC, there are Android Kernel mods needed for proper refresh switching, Interlaced DVD playback does not work. A bunch of HD Audio passthrough does not work, without workarounds. It really is an inferior Kodi platform, currently on the C2.
SPMC from Koying may address some issues, I have not tested it lately.

I do not compile Android versions and have no interest to at all. But will likely submit patches when I get time to HK to fix Android up a bit, at least for the Kernel parts required.

RE: ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $40 - sharky1337 - 2016-05-05

Hey, my odroid just arrived !

Copied LibreElec , but now I'm getting a lot of crashes. First I could view sd videos now even if I scroll in the menu Libre Elec reboots. I red a post that it may help to write /dev/zero to the emmc. I tried it but the issue stays. I have three power supplies one is from my rpi3 which works fine an has 2.5A it should be enough.... Any tips ?

Quote:LibreELEC:~ # dmesg | grep -i error
[ 2.125862] mmc driver version: 1.07, 2015-01-21: fix a bug in tuning which caused eMMC data CRC error
[ 2.804353] hdmitx: ddc rd8b error 0x54 0x01
[ 2.806363] hdmitx: ddc rd8b error 0x54 0x01

RE: ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $40 - wrxtasy - 2016-05-05

That message is just a Kernel notification post that states the section of code to fix eMMC CRC errors has run successfully and has nothing to do with your issue. Everyone has that message in their log.

My development C2 board had a faulty micro SDHC reader and I actually had to get another one sent out from HK. This retail unit works properly. I seemed to be the only one with this issue.

There is a thread over HERE that details the errors I was getting.
Look for those Kernel errors.

Then also test if an official HK Android image crashes the C2. I could not even get that to work with a faulty SD reader on the dev. C2. My eMMC was fine.

I can't believe it ! There is so much crappy hardware out there. It seems that brand new usb cable is the problem. Tried another and it works....

RE: ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $40 - noggin - 2016-05-05

(2016-05-05, 10:17)sharky1337 Wrote: I can't believe it ! There is so much crappy hardware out there. It seems that brand new usb cable is the problem. Tried another and it works....

Were you using USB for power? If so that's a common problem. Pi owners have the same. Low quality Micro USB Cables designed for data not power can have very thin power cores, which means they are high resistance, and drop volts when pulling high current. (V=IxR...) If your voltage drops too low because the cable has dropped a chunk of voltage across it's length, then you get unreliability issues.

For these low cost SBCs power is critical. For a Pi I always recommend the Pi Foundation PSU. I run my ODroid's on the Hard Kernel supplied PSU via the DC input, though I know wrxtasy has had few problems with third party PSUs.

RE: ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $40 - wrxtasy - 2016-05-05

No issues with any Odroids using just a phone charger and any quality cable. The thickness of cable is the key.

RE: ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $40 - discovery - 2016-05-05

Can someone post the current limitations of Android version running on C2? Is there a feedback?

Thank you to all who build libreelec . Runs perfectly and the deinterlacing from the hardware is outstanding. Will put some $ into the coffe kitty

RE: ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $40 - wrxtasy - 2016-05-06

(2016-05-05, 18:38)discovery Wrote: Can someone post the current limitations of Android version running on C2? Is there a feedback?
Major Limitations are you cannot leave amcodec and mediacodec Hardware acceleration on with Kodi dynamic refresh switching Enabled as well and expect trouble free video playback. You will end up with black screens for 23.976/29.97/59.94fps video.
The Linux Kernel that Android for the C2 is built on has not got the necessary patches to fix this YET. Workaround is to disable Kodi dynamic refresh rate switching and run everything at 1080p60Hz.

Or you can just disable amcodec and video playback is then fine with mediacodec and refresh switching works. BUT you loose Hardware deinterlacing for TV viewing purposes.

5.1 AC3 / DTS Audio passthrough needs command line fiddling and workarounds as well. HD Audio passthrough does not work at all. Interlaced DVD video playback will be broken.

Basically Android needs a bunch of work done to the Kernel and a custom version of Android Kodi to bring it up to speed. If you don't need 5.1 or greater Audio and do not need deinterlacing, then it will be fine when using Android mediacodec hardware acceleration.

The problems I mentioned will be the same for virtually all cheap AML S905 devices being pumped out of Asia when running Android Kodi.
At least I know how to fix (most) of them Wink

RE: ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $40 - discovery - 2016-05-06

Fantastic feedback. Does using wetek media player solves the issue of codecs?

Thanks again.

P.s. Hope you will fall in love with android and build something for C2 in android.
(2016-05-06, 03:31)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2016-05-05, 18:38)discovery Wrote: Can someone post the current limitations of Android version running on C2? Is there a feedback?
Major Limitations are you cannot leave amcodec and mediacodec Hardware acceleration on with Kodi dynamic refresh switching Enabled as well and expect trouble free video playback. You will end up with black screens for 23.976/29.97/59.94fps video.
The Linux Kernel that Android for the C2 is built on has not got the necessary patches to fix this YET. Workaround is to disable Kodi dynamic refresh rate switching and run everything at 1080p60Hz.

Or you can just disable amcodec and video playback is then fine with mediacodec and refresh switching works. BUT you loose Hardware deinterlacing for TV viewing purposes.

5.1 AC3 / DTS Audio passthrough needs command line fiddling and workarounds as well. HD Audio passthrough does not work at all. Interlaced DVD video playback will be broken.

Basically Android needs a bunch of work done to the Kernel and a custom version of Android Kodi to bring it up to speed. If you don't need 5.1 or greater Audio and do not need deinterlacing, then it will be fine when using Android mediacodec hardware acceleration.

The problems I mentioned will be the same for virtually all cheap AML S905 devices being pumped out of Asia when running Android Kodi.
At least I know how to fix (most) of them Wink

RE: ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $40 - wrxtasy - 2016-05-06

Kernel patching needed in Android to fix amcodec and refresh switching problematic playback.
I will submit a patch to HK to fix for their Android distribution this this week.

WeTeK mediaplayer or SPMC will not fix this issue, nor will it fix Interlaced DVD playback YET......

RE: ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $40 - Eneko - 2016-05-12

Hi all,

First of all, sorry for bursting in this really nice technical discussion with my story. I don't even know if I properly introduced myself in the forum, which I normally do.

But I found this thread about the Odroid-C2 right now and I'm really excited about this little device. It might be a good alternative to my current HTPC but I have some doubts which I wanted to pass by you guys.

I built my current HTPC in 2008. Back then Raspberry PI and Chromeboxes and stuff like that either didn't exist or I didn't know about them, so I basically built PC in a small barebone case. It's based on a Intel Core2 Duo Processor E6750, 2GB of DDR2 RAM and a dedicated AMD Videocard (don't remember which one). And I must say, after 8 years, it still runs absolutely perfect with Openelec+KODI. It eats everything I throw at it without breaking a sweat.

The reason I would like to change is mainly because I would like something smaller and much more energy efficient so I can leave it on 24/7. I would like to just turn on the TV and have my KODI there. Also, I like to change for the sake of new technology Smile

So I am looking for something small, energy efficient, 24/7 use that will give me the same performance that I already have. And when I'm talking about performance I am not talking about 4k. My TV and receiver are 4 years old and don't even have the HDMI to handle 4k so it is not a priority to me. On the other hand, I am a bit picky on the performance of KODI itself. I mean the navigation through the screens and the application. This is super smooth at the moment. I can run through a list of movies, updating tumbnails and fanart instantly.

So before getting here, I had two candidates:

* Raspberry PI 3 *

Very nice and small and has a lot of support, but the following things bother me:
- No 1Gbit network. I have all my media on a NAS and 1Gbit cabeling through my whole house and eventhough it might be enough to get the information to the RPI on 100Mbit ethernet, I don't like the idea of getting 30Gb remuxed blurays over 100Mbit when I have 1Gbit capability.
- Only has SDCard to put your KODI Library on and that for me sounds as slow. I think that can be a real bottleneck for smooth navigation.
- The CPU sounds a bit on the slow side to me.

* ASUS Chromebox *

I love the look of this little box and it is a much more capable hardware as a RPI. I was almost decided for this one when I learned it cannot do H265(HEVC) hardware decoding. Like I said I am not in a big need of 4k but I believe that if H265 really kicks in as a standard, everything (not only 4k) will end up encoded in H265 and I like it to be hardware decoded. So that's something that stopped me with going for the Chromebox.

And now I see the Odroid C2 exists. It looks really great, having a decent CPU, HEVC hardware decoding and a eMMC chip for your KODI installation. Perfect! But here are some doubts I have:

1. Many of my children's movies are our old Disney DVD's copied directly to an ISO file and we use them a LOT! Smile I've read that Interlaced DVD .Vob files are not hardware decoded. I don't know if my DVD files are interlace or not interlaced (I don't really know what that means, sorry) but if the C2 won't be able to handle a DVD ISO nicely, that would be an issue for me. Is it really an issue or will the CPU handle the software decoding fine?

2. No Passthrough for 7.1 DTS-HD MA/HRA. I only have 5.1 and my wife will rather kick me out than letting more speaker into my house so I don't really need 7.1 DTS-HD but my receiver can handle it and I do have movies with this audio format. Will the C2 just give me standard DTS 5.1 sound for these files or will nothing sound? As long as it is transformed to 5.1, I'll be fine.

3. I use the Chromium Add-On in Openelec, only to be able to launch the Youtube site because the official Youtube Add-on is more often broken than not. I suppose that is because Youtube is constantly working against these type of plug-ins/addons which filter advertisement and such, but that is another issue. Anyway, being able to use the Youtube site in Chromium is a really important requirement for me. I noticed that watching youtube videos in Chromium is the only time the CPU of my current HTPC needs to work hard (the fan speeds up). Will the Odroid C2's CPU be able to handle this? I can understand this is hard on a system with the Flash technology and all. Not really native Openelec stuff, I know. But I'm pretty confident a Chromebox for example can handle it.

And that's it. For the rest, this sounds like a beautiful little device.

Sorry for the long post and congrats on such a great thread!