Kodi Community Forum
v17 Artwork Beef - automatically add extended artwork - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: v17 Artwork Beef - automatically add extended artwork (/showthread.php?tid=258886)

RE: Artwork Beef - automatically add extended artwork - smitchell6879 - 2018-01-28

deleted

RE: Artwork Beef - automatically add extended artwork - Kokonutcreme - 2018-01-28

@rmrector

I've read through the thread and thought I had a good handle on how to use this addon in place of AD.  I'm a Kodi user that locally saves all artwork in movies and tv show individual folders.  I use MediaElch to create nfo files as well as select artwork from fanart.tv and themoviedb.org.

I configured the addon to automatically add new artwork for new videos, automatically add from file system only.  I also selected option to download all processed artwork to file system.

I set config to only process movies and disabled option for automatic processing for movie sets.

Under Movies I selected all the different art options

Then I ran the addon for the first time to add missing artwork to all videos.

I'm now trying to understand what I've done wrong because for some reason all banner, clearart, disc, landscape and logo images that were saved locally in each movie folder have been deleted.  I'm confused as the addon is supposed to only add missing artwork not delete anything.

I'm running it again but this time deselecting the option "automatically add from file system only" as I no longer have the files.  This should at lease repopulate my movie folders and then I'll use MediaElch to go through each of my movies (a large library) to check which image files have been selected as I like to choose from multiple selections rather than accepting the default.

It's annoying as I've spent a lot of time over the years handpicking images from fanart.tv but it could have been worse - I could have lost posters and fanart as well.

I'm just trying to understand how to configure the addon correctly when running it against your library so that this behaviour doesn't recur and prevent anyone else from making the same error.

Running the addon from the context menu for individual movies works like a charm.

EDIT - the addon is downloading and repopulating image files into the individual folders but the default naming convention has changed to filename-clearlogo, filename-clearart etc which is different to how I had been naming it in the past eg. logo, clearart etc.  Kodi still recognises the naming convention but I wasn't expecting this change.  It's an easy config change in MediaElch to apply the basefilename as part of the naming convention but this should be called out as media manager tools won't recognise filenames that don't match whatever has been set as the default config.

RE: Artwork Beef - automatically add extended artwork - Powerhouse - 2018-01-30

(2018-01-28, 10:53)Kokonutcreme Wrote: EDIT - the addon is downloading and repopulating image files into the individual folders but the default naming convention has changed to filename-clearlogo, filename-clearart etc which is different to how I had been naming it in the past eg. logo, clearart etc.  Kodi still recognises the naming convention but I wasn't expecting this change.  It's an easy config change in MediaElch to apply the basefilename as part of the naming convention but this should be called out as media manager tools won't recognise filenames that don't match whatever has been set as the default config.
Not sure when this changed, but apparently (see the default)...
http://kodi.wiki/view/Movie_artwork
 Naming and Saving conventions for your own manually sourced artwork:Saved movies asFile NameSave Location and exampleBluRay & DVD Structure:

fanart.jpg/png

f:\MyMovies\Big Buck Bunny (2008)\fanart.jpg/png

Single movie in directory:fanart.jpg/pngf:\MyMovies\Big Buck Bunny (2008)\fanart.jpg/pngor (default)

<NameOfVideoFile>-fanart.jpg/png

f:\MyMovies\Big Buck Bunny (2008)\Big Buck Bunny (2008)-fanart.jpg/png

RE: Artwork Beef - automatically add extended artwork - lepoilu - 2018-01-30

(2018-01-26, 08:16)rmrector Wrote: Version 0.16.1 is now available. New features are "landscape" images from TheAudioDB for music artists, which can also be added to music videos, and options to disable all automatic processing for individual media types. It also includes fixes for archived media files in Krypton and earlier, and automatic processing after single item updates in Leia.
Great, it's functional !

Thank you Smile

RE: Artwork Beef - automatically add extended artwork - rmrector - 2018-01-30

@D4rkPh0en1x Artwork Beef won't duplicate files to a central directory for that like Artwork Downloader did. Skins can grab a list of fanart directly from the library, either using another add-on (like Grab fanart, or Skin Helper Service has this as one of its myriad options) or without an add-on using Kodi's built in functionality.

@smitchell6879 Artwork Beef still sets movie collection artwork as expected, you just need to disable that one setting to work around the bug for the moment. Please remove that script from this thread, it just confuses the problem with "set" and "setfanart", and seems to incorrectly remove artwork from movie collections that Artwork Beef already adds.

@Kokonutcreme It really shouldn't be deleting any files automatically, no matter the settings. After rescanning can you try the "Add missing artwork" context item for one movie, to see if it happens again for that one item? If it does, a debug log and the "artwork-report.txt" of the incident could help me figure out where it's going wrong.

I'll probably add an option to save to the shorter names for movies and music videos ("[arttype].[ext]" vs "[movie file basename]-[arttype].[ext]"), but not to a name that goes against Kodi's convention ("clearlogo" only belongs as "clearlogo.png" or "[movie file basename]-clearlogo.png", not "logo.png"). Your media manager should be able to identify all artwork that matches Kodi's naming conventions (which it's had for several years), in addition to whatever other options they add. Artwork Beef's behavior is noted in the documentation.

RE: Artwork Beef - automatically add extended artwork - junias - 2018-01-30

Hi there,

I´m using Artwork Beef since a few days now and have a little requirement.
I´m using the option do download artworks to filesystem.

But I only wish that for movies.
My aim is, that for movies the artwork is downloaded to filesystem, but not for music. Could this been made possible?

Thanks!

RE: Artwork Beef - automatically add extended artwork - smitchell6879 - 2018-01-30

@rmrector 

I deleted the reply... And yeah apparently there is confusion somewhere because it was never set for me when using this... No matter how I changed the settings...

But this doesn't actually download any set/collection artwork anyways does it?

Kodi seems to do that now with v18 and the script I wrote is just a temporary thing until they fix the way they set there own artwork.

And from what I saw using this you copied that artwork that Kodi found for the movie sets to the local file system but it still did not set it.

Or is there another setting I am missing? 

RE: Artwork Beef - automatically add extended artwork - junias - 2018-01-31

And I have a second question:
I use the option to download all artwork to local filesystem.
With Artwork Downloader the names were "fanart.png", now with Artwork Beef it is "moviename-fanart.png".
Is there a option to change this...?

Second request: After changing to Artwork Beef, the posters shown in movie sets are no posters, but thumbnails...
Before goint to Artwork Beef, everything was ok...
Here´s a picture (see the two thumbnails in red circle):

Artwork Beef - automatically add extended artwork - isamu.dragon - 2018-01-31

I second the ability to set non-default names for basic files such as poster, fanart, landscape, and banner.

RE: Artwork Beef - automatically add extended artwork - docwra - 2018-02-01

Setting different names is a terrible idea, it would create so much confusion for skinners and fragment everything :/

Set a standard, document it on the wiki and keep to it. This will help everyone in the future and drive features forward.

RE: Artwork Beef - automatically add extended artwork - Powerhouse - 2018-02-01

I believe @docwra that they are referring to the default naming...

be allowed to be changed to the (formerly default) naming...

fanart.jpg/png

I'm not sure when this changed, (and using ArworkDownloader, MediaElch, etc all do this), but originally, if you had your media in separate folders, you would name artwork...

fanart.jpg/png
Poster.jpg/png
erc...

and if you had all your (in this case) Movies in one big folder, you would name the artwork like this...

<NameOfVideoFile>-poster.jpg/png
etc...

RE: Artwork Beef - automatically add extended artwork - Milhouse - 2018-02-02

Personally speaking I think the only reason to use the fanart.jpg notation is when creating fanart/posters/etc. for a collection (ie. movie set).

For the movies themselves, use the movie-name prefix notation, as that just works regardless of how the movie is stored (single movie per folder, multiple movies per folder, it doesn't matter).

RE: Artwork Beef - automatically add extended artwork - rmrector - 2018-02-05

@smitchell6879 Artwork Beef does add movie collection artwork from web services if configured in add-on settings under the "Movies" tab (open the context item on a movie collection in the library and select "Manage..." - "Choose art" to see all artwork attached to the collection), and will download that artwork to a central directory if configured under "Advanced", "Files", "process movie set artwork in a central info directory". Kodi 18 doesn't exactly download "set" and "setfanart", but adds them to movies in the database then Artwork Beef will download them along with the rest of the movie artwork.

@junias I will add an option to enable downloading artwork per media type, but for now Artwork Beef can only download artwork for the video library anyway. For the last problem, the skin is pulling up the movie thumb and expecting the fallback poster, but it should instead pick the poster first and then fall back to the thumb if there is no poster.

(2018-02-02, 01:43)Milhouse Wrote: For the movies themselves, use the movie-name prefix notation, as that just works regardless of how the movie is stored (single movie per folder, multiple movies per folder, it doesn't matter).

This is why I chose Artwork Beef's initial behavior, but I will add an option to use un-prefixed names when downloading. I like keeping multiple editions of a movie in one directory, and I like the idea that non-prefixed artwork applies to all editions/copies while prefixed artwork can override specific editions. Kodi's file loading doesn't work this way, but Artwork Beef does; it fits Kodi's existing behavior well enough either way.

RE: Artwork Beef - automatically add extended artwork - Streggi - 2018-02-05

(2018-01-19, 13:08)thecubasekid Wrote: i have kodi DB on my PC in mysql and have two windows tablets, two android tablets, install on my windows PC and 5 cheap Chinese android tv boxes running kodi dotted round the house in diff rooms all sharing same DB - having local artwork keeps them all synced up and matching experience across all platforms, using texturecache.py to cache in conjunction to all this all makes keeping all the same and in sync a snip - and keeps performance snappy with now slowdown in menus as kodi caches images for first time on the other instances! i just update one instance from my PC then point texturecache.py to each of the other boxes and let it do its thing... so all instance managed easily from my PC in few minutes
That's the clincher for me.  I currently run the texturecache script once a week or so for each of my kodi clients to update the thumbs.  Having the files locally will really help the performance of clients we don't use often enough that take a while to build the thumbs.  Running the script for multiple profiles is a pain as well as most of the time, the script fails to change the profile automatically and I have to keep running up and down the stairs to keep it working.

I'm sold - thanks

RE: Artwork Beef - automatically add extended artwork - Streggi - 2018-02-05

(2018-01-20, 07:41)rmrector Wrote: @Streggi thecubasekid has it. It can also reduce network usage, if you have more than one Kodi device in regular use. Images are downloaded from the internet only once, then each Kodi client caches from that instead of each downloading their own copy. This may not be a big deal for many home connections, but with all of us folks using fanart.tv and other web services for free it can add up on their end.

Thanks -big benefit to me as well as I have a 18/2 connection. 

If I don't tick the recycle option, does it just replace and delete old artwork automatically?