Kodi Community Forum
Win HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: Win HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players (/showthread.php?tid=259188)

RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - Warner306 - 2019-01-27

Example of Image Doubling

Imagine a source scaled 1280 x 720p -> 1920 x 1080p.

This is a scaling factor of 1.5x.

chroma > NGU Sharp (low)

The first entry is the chroma upscaling setting that scales the half-resolution chroma to match the luma layer:

Y' (luma - 4) CbCr (chroma - 2:0) -> Y'CbCr 4:2:2 -> Y'CbCr 4:4:4 -> RGB

luma > NGU Sharp (very high) < SSIM1D100AR

The luma layer (Y) is doubled using NGU Sharp (very high). However, the resulting output (720p -> 1440p) is too large for the target resolution (1080p). Therefore, image downscaling is used to reduce the image (1440p -> 1080p) using the setting from downscaling algo

RGB -> YCbCr 4:4:4 -> -> 1440p -> 1080p​​​​

chroma > Bicubic60AR

The upscaled chroma layer (CbCr) is scaled directly from 720p -> 1080p with Bicubic60 + AR to match the doubled luma layer using the chroma quality setting. Rather than waste resources on image doubling, Bicubic60 + AR allows for the use of higher settings for luma quality.

RGB -> YCbCr 4:4:4 -> CbCr -> 1080p​​​​

RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - j_manou - 2019-01-28

Ok.
DSPayer is not to blame, same thing happens with MPC-BE
Enabling HDR in Windows does not change anything.
Tried different HDMI cables, no go
Will try different drivers and will report back.

Thanks

HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - Lupin 3rd - 2019-01-29

Hi guys,
I own a projector and I project on a 2.35:1 screen.
I'm not able to move subtitles inside my screen.

It's up to madvr or It's up to kodi?

Can you help me?

Thanks

RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - Warner306 - 2019-01-29

Did you check move subtitles under zoom control? Are you using DXVA2 copy-back hardware decoding?

HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - Lupin 3rd - 2019-01-29

Hi,
Yes checked but I'm using D3D11 and obviously it don't works.

I use this because if without D3D11 I don't have fluid reproduction of uhd 60fps files.

Is there any other work around?

RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - Warner306 - 2019-01-30

No, not until madshi adds support for black bar detection to D3D11. I would make a seperate profile for 4K 60 fps content and lower your settings. How often do you watch 4K HDR demo videos?

if (hdr) and (deintFps > 25) "4K60"

Maybe the internal subtitle renderer in MPC-BE can do it, but I've never tried.

RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - j_manou - 2019-01-30

(2019-01-27, 16:02)Warner306 Wrote: I'm not sure. It could be an issue with the HDMI handshake or the video driver.

To rule out DSPlayer, try playing something with MPC-BE.

Also, try another much older video driver.

And try enabling Windows HDR and WCG.
Update,
After many (i really lost count) drivers i found that with 416.81 when i enable WCG hdr is excellent. But since its not auto, all non HDR movies sucks.

RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - 1900davide - 2019-01-30

hi, nice guide.

i have a 8700k and 1070 founder, what are the best settings?
because my gpu work at 75% and 70°C with my choices

reducing banding artifact high
---
sharpen edges 0.1
thin edges 0.1
adaptive sharpen 0.1
anti rolling filter
---
lanczos 4taps anti-riging
for all

thanks

RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - Warner306 - 2019-01-30

(2019-01-30, 00:51)j_manou Wrote:
(2019-01-27, 16:02)Warner306 Wrote: I'm not sure. It could be an issue with the HDMI handshake or the video driver.

Update,
After many (i really lost count) drivers i found that with 416.81 when i enable WCG hdr is excellent. But since its not auto, all non HDR movies sucks.  
The drivers shouldn't upset Windows HDR, so I don't know what might be causing your issues. Have you tried setting madVR to 10-bits and using both windowed mode and fullscreen exclusive mode? I really don't have many ideas.

(2019-01-30, 13:09)1900davide Wrote: hi, nice guide.

i have a 8700k and 1070 founder, what are the best settings?
because my gpu work at 75% and 70°C with my choices

reducing banding artifact high
---
sharpen edges 0.1
thin edges 0.1
adaptive sharpen 0.1
anti rolling filter
---
lanczos 4taps anti-riging
for all

thanks
Your settings don't make any sense to me. Lanczos can be run on an Intel iGPU and all of those sharpening shaders shouldn't add too much overhead.

I would upscale with NGU Sharp high with high-quality content and check some of the sharpening shaders, but not all of them. Maybe start with crispen edges or sharpen edges and see if you need anything more. I wouldn't use debanding at high, maybe medium or low. You will lose too much image detail at high. Lanczos 4 taps is sharp but will cause terrible ringing artifacts.

There are no best settings. Use whatever you want.

RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - gotham_x - 2019-01-31

Hi Warner306.

I would like to bring to your attention with rules to be included in the file playercorefactory.xml , the intent is that to automate four external player for various video resolutions and videocodec.
To be honest , I have also published in the Thread of Brazen1 .
I received much support from Brazen1 , but we are due "give up" on two rules that are stalled. I would ask , if you have the chance to give a reading , post #1049 to the post number #1060 , without reporting the problem in full again here. if you have any suggestions beyond what I was given by Brazen1.I would be very happy to try in being able to find a solution.
thanks for any interest.

RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - Beban - 2019-02-06

Hi, first of all sorry for posting this here, but Doom9 requires new registrations to wait for 5 days before first post.

I am trying to configure MadVR (+LAV in PotPlayer), but I get 100 % GPU load and huge frame drops (no matter what settings I choose) in fullscreen, but not in windowed mode in clips 1 and 2. With clip 3 (720p) I get 100 % GPU load even windowed. With MadVR config I basically can not go any lower, but I would guess that even a low-end GPU should be able to do these basics.

With Clip 1, DXVA2 (copy-back) enabled in LAV I get 100 % load on 3D, 60 % on Copy, 55 % on Video Decode on the GPU, but only 4 % CPU load in 1280x720 windowed mode. In fullscreen it just gives worse frame drops (no GPU power reserve).
With Clip 1, SW rendering (None in LAV) I get 53 % on 3D, 7 % on Copy, 0 % on Video decode, 1 GB VRAM used, 25 % on CPU load in 1280x720 windowed. In fullscreen i get full 3D load (frame drops), 50 % Copy, 0 % on Video decode, 1,5 GB VRAM used and no change 25 % on CPU load.

MadVR is utilizing 100 % of the 3D rendering power of the GPU. Should it even with these settings (zoom control off, artifact removal off, image enhancements off, chroma upscaling bilinear, image downscaling bilinear, image upscaling bilinear, upscaling refinement off, smooth motion only if judder, ordered dithering, trade quality all on except for both use DXVA chroma upscaling, run custom pixel shaders and the two you are the boss items.

PotPlayer shows Video output 4096x2160 and FPS 25>200, but the renderer uses all the GPU power. With EVR I get 60 % 3D load and 25 % CPU load and no frame drops. I'd love to use MadVR because of HDR tonemapping and quality, but I'm trapped, because it doesn't work sufficiently on my system, although I think it should. Should it? Thanks for any suggestions!

General settings checked: Use Direct3D 11 + present a frame for every VSync. Unchecking changes nothing.
GPU: Radeon RX 460 2GB, display resolution 3840x2160
Driver: 18.12.3
CPU & RAM: Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GB 3200 MHz RAM
Video details:
Clip 1: Resolution 3840x2160, FPS 25, Codec HEVC x265 10bits 4:2:0, Bitrate 29,4 Mbps, Matroska, progressive
Clip 2: 1920x804, FPS 23,976, AVC 4:2:0, 16,6 Mbps, Matroska, progressive
Clip 3: 1280x720, FPS 23,976, AVC 4:2:0, 4 Mbps, Matroska, progressive

https://postimg.cc/jwYxhjg6

RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - Warner306 - 2019-02-06

As a starting point, did you try D3D11 Native hardware decoding?

RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - j_manou - 2019-02-07

(2019-01-30, 15:44)Warner306 Wrote:
(2019-01-30, 00:51)j_manou Wrote:

Update,
The drivers shouldn't upset Windows HDR, so I don't know what might be causing your issues. Have you tried setting madVR to 10-bits and using both windowed mode and fullscreen exclusive mode? I really don't have many ideas. 
I found it finally. I noticed that the colors washing was present after a refresh rate change and by fiddling around with the settings i saw that adjust display refresh rate was to off. I enabled it and up to now (knocking wood) it's all ok

RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - Lupin 3rd - 2019-02-10

Hi Guys,
I've  a new fresh installation of Kodi DSPlayer with MadVR.
I'm trying to play some Blu Ray in folder structure but It don't works ...

Like you can see the log page do not reports me nothing about the unplyed file ....

I'm using internal LAV filters.

Any idea about this??

thanks