Kodi Community Forum
Win HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: Win HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players (/showthread.php?tid=259188)

RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - gotham_x - 2019-07-19

Absolutely not. I don't want to rename the entire UHD collection, I don't even dream of it  and BT2020 or DCI-P3 they are not part of the nomenclature of my files.

(2019-07-19, 01:13)Warner306 Wrote: Is there any reason why you don't want to use either the BT.2020 or DCI-P3 3D LUTs alone? There is no real benefit to adding both.

No reason , I saw that on AVSforum a subscriber carried profiles and rules for madVR  BT.2020 and DCI-P3 3D LUTs. So, the question comes spontaneously, which 3DLUTs between BT.2020 and DCI-P3  is the most correct to insert in madVR ? There must also be a reason if it was done, I wonder.

RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - gotham_x - 2019-07-19

I found the reference on what was said on AVSforum .

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/3040072-madvr-tool-madmeasurehdr-optimizer-measurements-dynamic-clipping-target-nits-21.html#post57529806

As you can see, there are profiles and rules for  BT.2020 and DCI-P3 and more. I assume with 3DLUTs.

RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - Warner306 - 2019-07-19

DCI-P3 is the correct 3D LUT for current displays. It is the color gamut recommended by the developer of DisplayCal for wide color gamut displays.

The reason is that you want to create a 3D LUT in the smallest gamut possible without clipping any colors at the edge of the gamut, and DCI-P3 matches the largest available gamut of any current video sources and displays on the market. 3D LUTs don't like undersaturated gamuts and BT.2020 is too large of a gamut for most displays.

OK. Then . Profile and rule for 3DLUs DCI-P3 set this way should be OK.

However, I don't understand, if you're using the card in madVR Calibration, that's fine BT.2020 as a setting , instead , if you are using a 3DLUTs , it is necessary DCI-P3 , expresses doubt and confusion as well. The whole for 4K / HDR content.

RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - Warner306 - 2019-07-19

If you aren't using a 3D LUT, you want to send a color gamut that the display can recognize that does not convert the source values. That would be BT.2020 because BT.2020 is the standard color gamut used by UHD content. No correction of the source values or display is required here.

If you are using a 3D LUT, DisplayCal knows what the display is going to do by measuring its response to test patterns when you create the 3D LUT and can adjust the display's output as required. The 3D LUT works best when it is about the same size as the display's color gamut, which will be + or - DCI-P3. Current video sources are also mastered in the DCI-P3 color space within a larger BT.2020 container. So DCI-P3 3D LUTs should be more precise than BT.2020 3D LUTs because they are the best match for the videos and displays they are trying to correct. Color correction is involved here.

You can also use a DCI-P3 3D LUT to correct BT.709 sources because the 3D LUT should map the BT.709 color coordinates of SDR videos within the larger DCI-P3 3D LUT. So both SDR and HDR content would have the correct colors without any over or undersaturation.

Thanks. I have to save this analysis on a Word document!!!

RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - MANswers - 2019-08-07

How do i remove the OSD text appearing here on the player.

RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - giulianoprs - 2019-08-07

[font][font]Ctrl J !!!!![/font][/font]

RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - giulianoprs - 2019-08-07

[font][font]Ctrl J[/font][/font]

RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - Warner306 - 2019-08-08

(2019-08-07, 19:27)MANswers Wrote: How do i remove the OSD text appearing here on the player.

As giulianoprs said, Ctrl + J.

If you are using a 4K display, you are downscaling to 1080p in that image. You are also outputting at 59.94 Hz rather than 23.796 Hz (matching the video frame rate, 23.976 fps).

RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - Cinephile - 2019-08-08

(2019-08-08, 00:34)Warner306 Wrote:
(2019-08-07, 19:27)MANswers Wrote: How do i remove the OSD text appearing here on the player.

If you are using a 4K display, you are downscaling to 1080p in that image. You are also outputting at 59.94 Hz rather than 23.796 Hz (matching the video frame rate, 23.976 fps).

His max rendering stats are also above 41ms and as a result there are dropped frames everywhere. 73 just in the opening shot, I’d say the settings are off.

@warner

I have successfully adjusted my chain to 8-bit RGB Full in NVIDIA settings, full range in madVR and also on the display (black levels set to high). It just works.

In saying that, I am still perplexed as to why any form of hardware decoding results in visible banding on my setup. I have tried internal and external LAV filters in mpc BE but as soon as hardware decoding is enabled it produces very visible banding. This is on a 2080 Ti.

Any ideas? I don’t mind using my CPU for software decoding (9900K so plenty of headroom) but would love to know the reason for banding issues as described above.

I should note this is only happening with HDR files. I read somewhere that DXVA is not compatible with HDR?

RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - MANswers - 2019-08-08

Thanks for the tip. How do i go about fixing this? Where do i need to go to fix this? I am sorry I am kind of a noob in this. It be great if you can just post the name of the application and the screenshot of the section where i need to change.

RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - MANswers - 2019-08-08

(2019-08-08, 01:50)HomeTheatreGuru Wrote:

His max rendering stats are also above 41ms and as a result there are dropped frames everywhere. 73 just in the opening shot, I’d say the settings are off.

@warner

I have successfully adjusted my chain to 8-bit RGB Full in NVIDIA settings, full range in madVR and also on the display (black levels set to high). It just works.

In saying that, I am still perplexed as to why any form of hardware decoding results in visible banding on my setup. I have tried internal and external LAV filters in mpc BE but as soon as hardware decoding is enabled it produces very visible banding. This is on a 2080 Ti.

Any ideas? I don’t mind using my CPU for software decoding (9900K so plenty of headroom) but would love to know the reason for banding issues as described above. 

There is definately a jitter. I do feel that, you do make sense. Can you help me with fixing this? what do i need to do, is this issue similar to what Warner mentions, or more needs to be done?

RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - Cinephile - 2019-08-08

(2019-08-08, 04:02)MANswers Wrote:
(2019-08-08, 01:50)HomeTheatreGuru Wrote:
(2019-08-08, 00:34)Warner306 Wrote: As giulianoprs said, Ctrl + J.

@warner

There is definately a jitter. I do feel that, you do make sense. Can you help me with fixing this? what do i need to do, is this issue similar to what Warner mentions, or more needs to be done?

For starters, have you entered your TV’s supported resolutions and refresh rates under madVR display mode settings? See relevant section in the first post for details.