Kodi Community Forum
Win HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: Win HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players (/showthread.php?tid=259188)

HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - lightsout - 2020-02-26

(2020-02-26, 12:33)Warner306 Wrote: This sounds like a focus issue where something else in Windows is stealing focus away from Kodi. I don't know the exact origin based on that description, but one thing you could try is to install Lancher4Kodi and set Kodi to constantly refocus every few seconds.

It is a simple program to install and use. You would have to search through the menus to find the focus option and try experimenting with it:

136798 (thread)

Yeah that's basically the problem and I as well don't understand why. Thanks for the link ill look into it.

RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - sutefunu - 2020-02-29

(2020-01-14, 11:39)Warner306 Wrote: I haven't seen a lot of discussion on the forums about using a 1440p resolution. The advice would be the same as any other output resolution: choose settings that keep your rendering times reasonable and use image doubling over other upscaling methods when possible (NGU is usually preferred as the image doubler). Image downscaling will often be involved at 1440p when combined with doubling, but that shouldn't be an issue if your GPU is powerful enough.

Do you have any other questions that are specific to using 1440p at the output resolution?
Hi, I tried searching but I could not find info about a problem I believe is connected with madVR.
Recently I found out that my video card memory doesn't down-clock at idle - it stays at max even at desktop. After a little research it turns out it is a problem with AMD cards and higher than 60 Hz refresh rate monitors.
I have AOC Q3279VWFD8 75 Hz monitor and R9 280X video card. So the solution for my problem was to create a custom resolution in the driver with 72 Hz refresh rate and CVT-reduced blanking turned on.
It looks like it works for everything else except madVR.
The problem is when I play a video with MPC-HC and madVR the player freezes when switching to full screen. It works in windowed mode but when I go to full screen the monitor goes black for a moment /the same way when changing the refresh rate in windows monitor setting/ and then the video shows up but it is paused and cannot play.
When exiting from full screen the same thing occur - the monitor goes black for the moment and then the player goes to windowed mode.
I tried turning different options in the madVR settings but nothing works. So do you have any idea what it might be? What is strange is that the same problem occurs even with 60 Hz refresh rate. With 75 Hz refresh everything works fine.
Thanks in advance.

RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - Warner306 - 2020-03-02

I'm guessing madVR doesn't like your custom refresh rate. Did you create it with madVR? Try creating one with the Custom Resolution Utility instead.

RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - sutefunu - 2020-03-02

(2020-03-02, 11:07)Warner306 Wrote: I'm guessing madVR doesn't like your custom refresh rate. Did you create it with madVR? Try creating one with the Custom Resolution Utility instead.

Hi, thanks for the reply.
I created the resolution in Radeon settings. I don't like CRU as I don't understand it much and am afraid of screwing my monitor.
Someone suggested that I should not use exclusive mode and any display modes in madVR settings but strangely enough I don't.

RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - lightsout - 2020-03-02

So what is the verdict on RX 5700 cards with madvr? I have a 1060 in my htpc and a 5700 in my gaming rig. Thinking about swapping them out but have heard of issues with 5700 and HTPC's. 

I did some testing with the 5700 and madvr on my desktop, but it is hooked up to a 1440p monitor so not a good comparison to my living room with 2160p.

RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - Warner306 - 2020-03-03

It is a fine card but the AMD drivers have plenty of issues. Try doing some reading here (especially the last several pages of the thread):

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176013

HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - lightsout - 2020-03-03

(2020-03-03, 11:20)Warner306 Wrote: It is a fine card but the AMD drivers have plenty of issues. Try doing some reading here (especially the last several pages of the thread):

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176013

Good read thanks. Seems I'll be better off going Nvidia.

Looks like the main issue is sending out HDR, send like since the driver is only sending out 709, if one was tone mapping with madvr that might solve it.

Although they were speculating that the driver itself was doing some tone mapping so that could be a potential conflict.

RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - maseren - 2020-03-15

Hi all, i am hoping someone here can help me. Honestly i'm not sure if there is a better forum. Anyways, here i go. So, essentially, i have kodi 17.6 insalled, with latest LAV filters and Plex for Kodi and ofcourse MadVR. Everything is working beautifully as far as I can tell, however, the resume function refuses to work in plex. I'm unsure of what my next steps should be? I am wanting to go to a different kodi version, but the one i installed is this one from this link: https://forums.plex.tv/t/howto-4k-hdr-and-mvc-3d-in-plex-for-kodi-on-windows/219727

I went with the 64bit version. I have heard of others, but am worried of accidently undoing all my settings etc... which i worked hard to do. any advise or help would be appreciated. I think i tried this one: 
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=351534 but had some issues. 

Hope to hear back and thanks.

RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - Warner306 - 2020-03-16

There is a branch in the Plex for Kodi GitHub that has a fix for the resume issue with DSPlayer. I can't remember what the branch is called, but I've tried it on one occasion. It does work.

RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - mlkconcept - 2020-03-16

Hi, I use madVR for Kodi DSplayer +SVP (59 Hz) to play 3D m2ts files SBS with original bitrate, to an Optoma P1 projector with a high end PC.
What settings should work better for me?
The projector is 4K although its only 1080p when 3D is activated.
I like sharp image, the resultant picture should look like 1080p or higher.
What would be the best settings for this purpose? Thanks

RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - Warner306 - 2020-03-16

I'm not sure if you can upscale 3D videos from 1080p to 4K UHD. If you want to enhance the image, focus on the settings under image enhancements such as crispen edges, sharpen edges and enhance detail.

RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - brazen1 - 2020-04-23

From the guide:  "The worst sources plagued by a lot of dancing temporal artifacts tend to only show mild improvement with RCA enabled. This is one you may want to map to your keyboard to try with your compressed or noisy sources."

Looking the through the 'keyboard shortcuts' in madVr, I can't seem to find an entry for RCA or RRN?

RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - Warner306 - 2020-04-24

Those shortcuts exist. Compression artifacts are listed as deblocking. And random noise artifacts are listed as denoising. I don't find I get much benefit from either, but you can experiment with them using those shortcuts.

RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - brazen1 - 2020-04-24

The way I understand it, Reduce Random Noise & Reduce Compression Artifacts are not the same thing as Denoising & Deblocking.  RRN & RCA are different additions added more recently on top of Denoising & Deblocking.  They are also much more Vram intensive.  I already have mapped keys to my remote for the latter and use them often.  Denoising has been my go to algorithm for years but it does not come for free like RCA does when using high Luma & Chroma settings.  I've started using supersampling and other more aggressive settings now that I am using a larger panel that isn't very good at forgiving artifacts and desire the RCA algorithm since it won't affect my low resources now that I've bumped up other settings.  I'd just like to have it handy mapped to my remote like the other madVr algorithms I use and don't see the shortcuts offered in madVr configuration.

I too thought they were one in the same so I asked at https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1908614#post1908614 and was told "they are not the same".  They also offered no help for the hotkey and why I asked here since I saw your reco to map this key in your guide.  Thanks for the reply.

I thought I should add:
When I use denoising, my render times immediately go through the roof and frames drop due to my new more aggressive settings.  When I use RCA, my render times remain just as if it wasn't running although indeed it is.  I'm certain denoising and RCA are two different things as is deblocking and RRN.

RE: HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players - xbmcwood - 2020-04-25

i been using madvr for kodi . for years now. i have never ran into a 2160p that madvr could not handle. until now Gemini man is 2160p 60FPS.  looks amazing but  get stutters. how do i set up madvr to play the movie at 60FPS??