Kodi Community Forum
Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement (/showthread.php?tid=259387)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

RE: Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement - trogggy - 2016-02-12

(2016-02-12, 03:40)Big Aero Wrote: P.S I seen a listing the other day, the guy had sold over 2500 Fire TV's loaded with Kodi - that's some £38,000 profit. You are essentially allowing this as you aren't doing anything to prevent the installation of 3rd party addons.
In the same way as Microsoft 'essentially allow' The Pirate Bay.

RE: Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement - bhatti15 - 2016-02-12

end of the day this is their project, they can do what they like and take action against infringement.

that is the bottom line.

whether you like it...

or not.

I ask again.. what action apart from this thread, is being taken, apart from msgs on twitter, facebook and youtube of profiteers shitting their pants?

thanks

RE: Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement - Big Aero - 2016-02-12

(2016-02-12, 03:47)trogggy Wrote:
(2016-02-12, 03:40)Big Aero Wrote: P.S I seen a listing the other day, the guy had sold over 2500 Fire TV's loaded with Kodi - that's some £38,000 profit. You are essentially allowing this as you aren't doing anything to prevent the installation of 3rd party addons.
In the same way as Microsoft 'essentially allow' The Pirate Bay.

I'm sorry there's a big difference. Microsoft's main audience isn't people who watch media, whereas Kodi's audience is those who watch media. What does microsoft have to do with the piratebay anyway?

If your providing unrestricted access to the internet from within a media player (Kodi) then that is screaming lets stream pirate content to certain individuals.

Why does a media player need unrestriced access to the internet anyway? Afterall, Kodi was designed to simply play your local media, or was it in actual fact designed for something else?

Oh, and where do you think the majority of users will go to download their roms for Retroplayer? Piratebay maybe?

If Team Kodi decide the future is a shit neutered locked-down version of the current software then that's what they'll deliver. If you think that would be an improvement then okay.

Well what other choice do they have, other than fighting a never ending battle. The fact, is piracy will always remain on Kodi whilst users have the ability to install 3rd party addons. XBMC can fight, send out trademark violation take-downs, but even that will not stop piracy, or distanct themselves from it. Pissing in the wind springs to mind.

RE: Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement - getochkn - 2016-02-12

Couple of points.

1. What is pirate content to one person is legal to another in their country, so blocking 3rd party addons, for who, only US downloaders?

2. Look how XBMC started. You needed a MODDED XBox to install it. Yes, you had to mod and violate copyright laws on an original XBox in order to install it. What was/is the purpose of XBMC/Kodi to play every known format of video? If it's to play legit video, keep the codec support down. Has anyone seriously ever ripped a DVD legally to Realmedia format? Or flash video or quick time? No. The broad format support is to support the broad amount of pirated material, especially back in the day. Everything was ripped and pirated in all different formats, and thus, a media player to play all those pirated formats was made.

3. As said, emulator support seems to be ok. Backing up BIOS and games are still not legal in some areas, so why support it. And do you seriously think every single person running an EMU has backed up all their GBA carts by hand to their PC? Sometimes backing up a BIOS involves circumventing copyright protections.

4. Backing up Blurays and DVD's involves breaking copyright protection, yet supported.

(2016-02-12, 04:12)Big Aero Wrote: Well what other choice do they have, other than fighting a never ending battle. The fact, is piracy will always remain on Kodi whilst users have the ability to install 3rd party addons. XBMC can fight, send out trademark violation take-downs, but even that will not stop piracy, or distanct themselves from it. Pissing in the wind springs to mind.
Leave the fight against piracy to Hollywood.
Distance this site from piracy - which they've done, albeit not in a great way (imo).
Act firmly against anyone passing themselves off as 'official sites'.
Make the software even better.
Drink beer, enjoy life.

RE: Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement - Gombeek - 2016-02-12

(2016-02-12, 03:24)coromi52 Wrote: On that note guys, what name did this site tart with? xbmc? xbox media center? How ironic! xbox has no relations with this site and the xbox media center was what opened the door to all of this open source stuff. Do not get it!

(2016-02-12, 03:36)Big Aero Wrote: I'm just fed up with the constant drama on this support forum. Users visit a support forum for support. Every time I visit theres either a massive new thread about trademark violation, piracy, or Android box sellers.

If your going to do something to seperate your brand from piracy, then completely strip the ability to install 3rd party addons. Takedown notices to trademark violators certainly wont achieve anything, as others will take their place in no time.

Excellent points! Im all for getting rid of those sites that deceive people into thinking they need to "buy" Kodi, or companies like redrhinoentertainment.com who tell people at various trade shows their founder is a Kodi dev and wrote their software with the 3rd party add ons built in. But this witch hunt isn't about that, it's a pissing contest and quite frankly I'm shocked the Kodi team would sink so low. What is going after you tubers really going to accomplish? How does it protect Kodi?

You have diamond sponsors for a reason, they profit off being associated with Kodi. While there is a large legitimate user base of Kodi without the 3rd party add ons, the reality is that the 3rd party add-on users dwarf the legitimate users, in all honest probably 10000:1. Without those add ons you "hate" so much, there would be no market, there would be no money, and there would sadly be no sponsors.

Bottom line, if you don't like people associating Kodi with 3rd party add ons (which is a totally reasonably for Kodi to want) then strip the ability to have 3rd party add ons within Kodi. But don't be bullies and try and start a street fight.

Food for thought

IMHO

RE: Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement - shearer69 - 2016-02-12

Kodi is free open software, the foundation makes no money, everything is made by volunteers yet there is thousands of forums and sites using the name one way or another using the source codes to own advantage how they gonna pay corporate lawyer to sue in lengthy court battles etc

RE: Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement - Justloco - 2016-02-12

Why dont you guys go after the guys on Ebay? They are selling something that is free which is why your getting all the backlash. I don't see how people on twitter and youtube are the problem, people making builds and doing reviews aren't the issue here. If MLB, the NBA, the NHL don't go after fan sites I dont think you'll have that much success.

The fact is if Microsoft hasn't dump the xbmc then the makers of kodi can get hit with patent lawsuits. Ever thought of that? Why stop what is making kodi successful. If people are using 3rd party addons for free content they will be hit with dcma copyright infringement lawsuits. Why are you guys worried about that?

(2016-02-12, 04:14)getochkn Wrote: Couple of points.

1. What is pirate content to one person is legal to another in their country, so blocking 3rd party addons, for who, only US downloaders?

2. Look how XBMC started. You needed a MODDED XBox to install it. Yes, you had to mod and violate copyright laws on an original XBox in order to install it. What was/is the purpose of XBMC/Kodi to play every known format of video? If it's to play legit video, keep the codec support down. Has anyone seriously ever ripped a DVD legally to Realmedia format? Or flash video or quick time? No. The broad format support is to support the broad amount of pirated material, especially back in the day. Everything was ripped and pirated in all different formats, and thus, a media player to play all those pirated formats was made.

3. As said, emulator support seems to be ok. Backing up BIOS and games are still not legal in some areas, so why support it. And do you seriously think every single person running an EMU has backed up all their GBA carts by hand to their PC? Sometimes backing up a BIOS involves circumventing copyright protections.

4. Backing up Blurays and DVD's involves breaking copyright protection, yet supported.

My point exactly

RE: Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement - ilovemymac - 2016-02-12

What I'm curious about after using KODI/XBMC for 6+ years now is this.
Box sellers are going like crazy. However the newest thing seems to be at least what i see on Facebook and such is people selling a box that is blank.
They are loaded with KODI because as far as i can tell every Chinese manufacture loads kodi on. However they seem to be blank and given a website or something to type in where you download a wizard of some sort and it transformers kodi with new skin plus 3rd party add ons.

So this whole copyright issue I'm curious how this comes into play with these new "build" or wizard.
I mean it seems new one pops up all the time most of them look like someone copied someone then someone else copied them and so on.
Also how does that affect box sellers on ebay/amazon ext? Because they are simply advertising a box that the user i guess uses the wizard to add the 3rd party stuff. Because then is not the seller not actually doing anything.
Also if its that simple to do a wizard thing why do people even buy a box then from someone else just go to amazon and buy a fire tv.

RE: Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement - Ned Scott - 2016-02-12

(2016-02-12, 04:12)Big Aero Wrote: Well what other choice do they have, other than fighting a never ending battle. The fact, is piracy will always remain on Kodi whilst users have the ability to install 3rd party addons. XBMC can fight, send out trademark violation take-downs, but even that will not stop piracy, or distanct themselves from it. Pissing in the wind springs to mind.

I see the point you are making. I don't think the program needs to be locked down, but this really is pissing in the wind with the current approach. It's a strong wind and the Kodi project doesn't have the resources to effectively take down all of the little guys.

The big thing here is reputation and confusion, protecting one and preventing the other. How can we do that in the current environment? In my opinion, and I stress that this is just my opinion, the key is to make Kodi's legitimate features more popular than the piracy. It's not impossible when you consider how popular Plex is for doing the same thing (a platform for people's own media files).

In addition to that, all those other sites and sellers need some incentive to stop using the Kodi name. I wouldn't go with the strong-arm approach. Giving an ultimatum will most likely just be ignored. Human nature is dark, and people will do whatever they want, especially if it's profitable. However, if they think that it is within their best interests to not use the Kodi name, or at least greatly downplay these things, then you can change the direction of the wind. Most of these sites and services are honestly not even Kodi-specific, and the sellers and "help" sites could actually make more money and get more visitors by doing this.

How to actually do that? Hell if I know. Part of it is likely still doing takedowns when possible, so threads like this are still good, but there's a missing factor. Both ideas I mention are basically a marketing problem, but I think they're the best direction to explore.