Kodi Community Forum
v17 [ALPHA] Estuary - Kodis new default skin - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Estuary (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=260)
+---- Thread: v17 [ALPHA] Estuary - Kodis new default skin (/showthread.php?tid=262144)

RE: [ALPHA] Estuary - Kodis new default skin - nick w - 2016-08-15

(2016-08-05, 19:20)fracl11 Wrote:
(2016-08-05, 18:27)JimmySmith2 Wrote: I tried to adapt to the new skin, (estuary), but I must to return to Confluence. I am afraid that Estuary and Etouchy are BOTH tablet like skins, and serious lack of informations, structured easilly to the Monitor / Big Screen in numerous views/screens is no go for me. I tried, I truly did, but it can be only suitable for that Confluence users, which uses views like thumbnails etc. Not for rest of us, who are used to list View. I am very sorry about that, and I am hoping, that Confluence will be usable (and most important stable and supported) at least next 5-8 years.
Ya those new Skins SUCK! I hate "em with a passion, and so does a few of my friends so i know im not alone.

Why dont you keep your rude and unhelpful posts to yourselves.

People like Phil and Guilouz spend countless hours making/altering these skins. Mostly for free. They are what makes KODI so amazing.

fracl11 and JimmySmith2. Why dont you both spend hundreds of hours building your own skin for us all to tell you it "sucks"

RE: [ALPHA] Estuary - Kodis new default skin - JimmySmith2 - 2016-08-15

nick, my posts are not about "that sucks". I mean them in a constructive way, and tell what exactly I am think should be improved / or completed - considering confluence predecessor. It is feedback, which I believe, every creator wants and need. You dont make your product better, if you listen only to positive feedback.

And, especially when you consider that something default is replaced, and you see that quality degrade in your eyes (imagine our feelings), I think its everybodys right to comment it, if its done in meaningfull way. And again, I dont wanna be rude in my post. I describe major flaws/important missing things.

And about spending hours on something, thats just invalid argument, and I am little offended by it. Do you think that this default skin is only for Kodi users, whose build their own skin/plugin to Kodi? I dont think so. I appretiate all that efford, which is delivered to us. Dont be mistaken. But i bet even more hours was spent to Confluence skin thorough history, and now they want to replace it by something with less functionality. Do you want to measure workload or something, when you say hours spent on Estuary are somehow more valuable? I definitivelly appretiate those as well Smile

And, to prevent post like "use confluence, not a problem etc." - I wrote it already. How long? Hm? I read again and again, people have problem with something ,and reply was: its working in default skin (lucky me, using confluenceSmile, wait for your skin developer to implement that. And I would like to use Kodi next 5, 10, ... years Smile I believe, "Core" things should be best as possible. In my eyes, this leads to cut Kodi features. You have already good features inside, c'mon, why restrict them..

I see it like: Etouchy / Estuary - hmm, nice skin for touchscreens, not a problem, many skins around like that. But replacing default Confluence with Estuary in this state-functionality - sucks. Step back.

Thats all I want to share with skin developers/kodi project managers/decision makers Smile No hurt feelings please.

RE: [ALPHA] Estuary - Kodis new default skin - Ned Scott - 2016-08-15

I don't think it's fair to lump JimmySmith2 with fracl11.

Confluence took years and years to get where it is today. It's being replaced mostly because the style feels dated, it doesn't take advantage of a lot of new skin-related code, and other such things. It didn't stop being a good skin for what it was. So yes, a lot of users are going to feel that it is a bump to go to a new skin from something that was so well refined.

I love Estuary, but I also hate some of the things inside it, just as I loved Confluence and hate some things that Confluence does. Some of that is preference, some of that is just polish that will eventually come with time and feedback, who knows. However, I'm pretty confident that Estuary will "get there", because it's already 90% there. The last few percent is hard as heck to get right, for any program/UI. Information density is a very complicated element to get just right.

So with that in mind, I think feedback like JimmySmith2's is good.

Not fracl11, though. That guy can go eat it :D

Just watch, someone is going to come along and adjust one little thing and suddenly it will click. It might take a little while to get it just right, but I think it will happen.

EDIT: whoa, a lot was edited in that last post while I was posting mine. Mostly still true.

RE: [ALPHA] Estuary - Kodis new default skin - JimmySmith2 - 2016-08-15

(2016-08-15, 10:32)Ned Scott Wrote: However, I'm pretty confident that Estuary will "get there", because it's already 90% there. The last few percent is hard as heck to get right, for any program/UI. Information density is a very complicated element to get just right.

I have the same hopes Wink

RE: [ALPHA] Estuary - Kodis new default skin - pennhaven - 2016-08-15

Hi,

New to forum but been using KODI (XBMC) for a couple years. Currently testing the LibreELEC generic alpha on BeeBox 3150 and noticing with recent versions (currently on 811) that the Estuary music player OSD is missing; i.e. no play, pause, forward, etc. icons. Can still control the player functions via IR or BT remote keys, but not using mouse cursor, since no icons are visible. Reporting this here as it would seem to be a skin issue perhaps caused by a recent code change.

Also, one feature I have been missing with lyrics viewing, that other skins provide, is the ability to navigate up/down through lyrics by page, instead of by just by line. Other skins provide this via an "elevator"-type bar to the right of the lyrics window that can be selected to navigate by page. So this would also be a helpful addition to Estuary.

Thanks to developers for your attention and efforts.

RE: [ALPHA] Estuary - Kodis new default skin - woodside - 2016-08-15

(2016-08-15, 21:41)pennhaven Wrote: Hi,

New to forum but been using KODI (XBMC) for a couple years. Currently testing the LibreELEC generic alpha on BeeBox 3150 and noticing with recent versions (currently on 811) that the Estuary music player OSD is missing; i.e. no play, pause, forward, etc. icons. Can still control the player functions via IR or BT remote keys, but not using mouse cursor, since no icons are visible. Reporting this here as it would seem to be a skin issue perhaps caused by a recent code change.

Also, one feature I have been missing with lyrics viewing, that other skins provide, is the ability to navigate up/down through lyrics by page, instead of by just by line. Other skins provide this via an "elevator"-type bar to the right of the lyrics window that can be selected to navigate by page. So this would also be a helpful addition to Estuary.

Thanks to developers for your attention and efforts.
Not sure when Phil65 will have an official fix in the default Estuary skin for this problem but in the Mod version of Estuary you might find some more info here in the link posted below.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=267343&pid=2392180#pid2392180

RE: [ALPHA] Estuary - Kodis new default skin - nick w - 2016-08-17

Can someone share the git repositry for Phils Estuary skin?

One issue i have is when creating a smartlist, the Add button is missing after you add 1 rule.

Thanks
N

RE: [ALPHA] Estuary - Kodis new default skin - MikeKL - 2016-08-17

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/tree/master/addons/skin.estuary

RE: [ALPHA] Estuary - Kodis new default skin - ymca - 2016-08-19

(2016-02-28, 22:40)Wanilton Wrote: Have 2 new default skins, Estuary will replace Confluence, and Estouchy replace re-touched.

I'm a bit confused.

So on windows when customizing the power button on Kodi to "Quit" when clicking it, which skin does that?

RE: [ALPHA] Estuary - Kodis new default skin - DaveBlake - 2016-08-19

(2016-08-15, 10:04)JimmySmith2 Wrote: nick, my posts are not about "that sucks". I mean them in a constructive way, and tell what exactly I am think should be improved / or completed - considering confluence predecessor. It is feedback, which I believe, every creator wants and need. You dont make your product better, if you listen only to positive feedback.

Jimmy unfortunately not all creators want feedback other than praise. I found that surprizing, but it is true, and perhaps a consequence of Kodi being created by volunteers. Sure voice your opinon, preferably politely of course (as you did in your post), but do not expect anyone to care what is said or act on it, because a lot of the time you will be disappointed. Personally I agree with you, both the observations you make and the belief that criticism contributes to better software, but I also know that my view does not matter.

If we are lucky someone will come along like Ned suggests and makes those changes (mostly additions) that you or I want, or create a variant that does. But it really is down to someone with the necessary knowledge and skills wanting to create such a thing, and finding the time to do it, not down to how many people may want it or how obvious the need.

RE: [ALPHA] Estuary - Kodis new default skin - Helioy - 2016-08-20

Moved to bugreports..

RE: [ALPHA] Estuary - Kodis new default skin - dantahoua - 2016-08-22

(2016-07-21, 02:45)mrkalpakkam Wrote: When I watch a movie with chapters, I don't see a skip chapter (fastforward) button. Is it somewhere hidden in the settings?

I also really often use this button... Are we the only ones who like to skip from one chapter to another? Very very useful in concert...

RE: [ALPHA] Estuary - Kodis new default skin - Guilouz - 2016-08-22

(2016-08-22, 17:26)dantahoua Wrote:
(2016-07-21, 02:45)mrkalpakkam Wrote: When I watch a movie with chapters, I don't see a skip chapter (fastforward) button. Is it somewhere hidden in the settings?

I also really often use this button... Are we the only ones who like to skip from one chapter to another? Very very useful in concert...

In VideoOSD.xml at line 107, remove + Integer.IsGreater(Playlist.Length(video),1)

RE: [ALPHA] Estuary - Kodis new default skin - gate1975mlm - 2016-08-22

Please add a option to have the pause overlay menu to automatically hide after so many seconds! Options for 5, 10, 15 and 20 seconds would be great.

Thanks

RE: [ALPHA] Estuary - Kodis new default skin - gate1975mlm - 2016-08-22

Please add Repeat button to bottom overlay bar when watching videos.

I would like the same button have the options for Repeat All, Repeat one and Off.

Thanks