Kodi Community Forum
Android HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Android HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio) (/showthread.php?tid=265888)

RE: HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio) - EazyVG - 2016-09-04

(2016-09-04, 19:36)M3lloW Wrote: Big Grin well but still with imprex off and PQ standards its fucking up the picture and processing it , thats the bug they should fix , off should realy mean OFF Wink
not as hard with imprex but it is still doing it , and the workaround settings in the first post for that are wrong for my calibrated screens. For me , brigthness 48 and contrast 55 is near to my untouched PQ like it should be, but not perfect.

I am guessing it is the Standard/Theatre/etc that is still adding some effects after turning Imprex to OFF, the way I have described above - as you know when in Auto or HDR10 mode you have no access to turn On/Off. This should be implemented in firmware. So far, this is the best option /workaround I have found, thus resulting closer to what the real picture should look like, considering you have properly calibrated your TV settings and the screen.

When it comes to processing and post-processing, being a consumer (not a professional producer), TV should be the last resort for such settings, unless you have a mediocre screen, so to speak, in which case having software tweaks is a welocme and necessary, but with an option to completely turn Off.

Now I hope they shall further enhance the firmware, but the HDR10 4:2:0 10-bit is a big issue and major bug so far. I so miss the Kodi's internal player Smile

RE: HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio) - couto27 - 2016-09-05

Errr...

RE: HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio) - couto27 - 2016-09-05

(2016-09-04, 20:42)EazyVG Wrote:
(2016-09-04, 19:36)M3lloW Wrote: Big Grin well but still with imprex off and PQ standards its fucking up the picture and processing it , thats the bug they should fix , off should realy mean OFF Wink
not as hard with imprex but it is still doing it , and the workaround settings in the first post for that are wrong for my calibrated screens. For me , brigthness 48 and contrast 55 is near to my untouched PQ like it should be, but not perfect.

I am guessing it is the Standard/Theatre/etc that is still adding some effects after turning Imprex to OFF, the way I have described above - as you know when in Auto or HDR10 mode you have no access to turn On/Off. This should be implemented in firmware.

So far, this is the best option /workaround I have found, thus resulting closer to what the real picture should look like, considering you have properly calibrated your TV settings and the screen.

When it comes to processing and post-processing, being a consumer (not a professional producer), TV should be the last resort for such settings, unless you have a mediocre screen, so to speak, in which case having software tweaks is a welocme and necessary, but with an option to completely turn Off.

Now I hope they shall further enhance the firmware, but the HDR10 4:2:0 10-bit is a big issue and major bug so far. I so miss the Kodi's internal player Smile

Any TV/projector should be calibrated with the source that is going to be used, its a mistake to have their display calibrated with something that not going to be used.
Any settings like standard /theather/cinema or processing activated in the source will give you different calibrated settings, and sometimes its impossible to achieve a perfect calibration.

I remember sometime ago, i was calibrating a samsung plasma for a friend, and just the fact that the receiver was in cinema Mode, the Gama was way off and the final result wasn't perfect. it was 3 hours lost and had to restart all over again.

Source direct, Original Resolution this is something the chip manufacturer don't implement in hardware/firmware/software, and they never will, this boxes are low cost devices to last 1 year maximum until the next chip arrives.

Anyone with high-end hardware/displays, stay way from this half-solutions, and get a proper source.

All this years of Xbmc/kodi i havent seen any settings to bypass the hardware video processing (no idea why) maybe because the public target of Kodi/xbmc are low cost solutions.

RE: HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio) - domifer - 2016-09-05

not as hard with imprex but it is still doing it , and the workaround settings in the first post for that are wrong for my calibrated screens. For me , brigthness 48 and contrast 55 is near to my untouched PQ like it should be, but not perfekt.

Wow man! Laugh

I came exactly to the same settings before even reading this post, I too achieved the best possible picture quality with 48 of brightness and 55 of contrast (I have a PANASONIC DX780E 4k HDR TV that I have calibrated )

RE: HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio) - M3lloW - 2016-09-05

(2016-09-05, 14:11)domifer Wrote: Wow man! Laugh

I came exactly to the same settings before even reading this post, I too achieved the best possible picture quality with 48 of brightness and 55 of contrast (I have a PANASONIC DX780E 4k HDR TV that I have calibrated )
Big Grin
Sony VPL Hw65 Projector on my side Smile

RE: HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio) - wesk05 - 2016-09-05

(2016-09-04, 19:36)M3lloW Wrote: For me , brigthness 48 and contrast 55 is near to my untouched PQ like it should be, but not perfekt.

(2016-09-05, 14:11)domifer Wrote: I came exactly to the same settings before even reading this post, I too achieved the best possible picture quality with 48 of brightness and 55 of contrast (I have a PANASONIC DX780E 4k HDR TV that I have calibrated )

What kind of contrast ratio do you guys get with this setting?

RE: HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio) - futeko - 2016-09-06

(2016-09-04, 17:51)boblo Wrote: I appreciate your interest in this issue, indeed. If these problems are ironed out, the Q10 Pro could be the best Android multimedia player right now, even beating the famous Nvidia Shield. But meanwhile, it's not. We'll see if Simon takes this issue seriously or not. I have no doubt he wants to help, but I also think he believes this issue is not really a bug, because more users should complain.

My question remains: Could you make a video demonstrating the Imprex issue and send it to Simon (or the HiMedia team)?

Thanks again Wink

I believe hdmkv got a response from HiMedia last night acknowledging and promising a fix for the left edge 3D problem. There should be a private beta firmware next week and a new official 1 or 2 weeks after that.

A video would help with getting HiMedia to look seriously at the 'turning off Imprex' problem. I have mentioned it to them several times (I send regular bug / feature requests) but they are having trouble reproducing it. They replied today pointing out that Imprex can be turned off manually as is discussed in this thread, but I do understand that this isn't entirely the problem, people want to be able to turn off all processing.

RE: HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio) - oktober - 2016-09-06

(2016-08-04, 01:52)nadtom Wrote:
(2016-07-20, 11:22)oktober Wrote: Can anoyone explain me base differences between (or give me a good url to study):
YUV444
YUV422
YUV420
and what's the best configuration?
Thx!

https://youtu.be/7JYZDnenaGc

Sorry, i'm late to thanks nadtom
Thank you very much. Pretty Clear!!

RE: HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio) - looun - 2016-09-06

(2016-09-05, 20:39)wesk05 Wrote:
(2016-09-04, 19:36)M3lloW Wrote: For me , brigthness 48 and contrast 55 is near to my untouched PQ like it should be, but not perfekt.

(2016-09-05, 14:11)domifer Wrote: I came exactly to the same settings before even reading this post, I too achieved the best possible picture quality with 48 of brightness and 55 of contrast (I have a PANASONIC DX780E 4k HDR TV that I have calibrated )

What kind of contrast ratio do you guys get with this setting?

there is a reference guide or video test to calibrate brightness and contrast ? Undecided

i use this scene for black level:

RE: HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio) - hansolo - 2016-09-06

(2016-09-05, 01:03)couto27 Wrote: Any TV/projector should be calibrated with the source that is going to be used, its a mistake to have their display calibrated with something that not going to be used.
Any settings like standard /theather/cinema or processing activated in the source will give you different calibrated settings, and sometimes its impossible to achieve a perfect calibration.

I remember sometime ago, i was calibrating a samsung plasma for a friend, and just the fact that the receiver was in cinema Mode, the Gama was way off and the final result wasn't perfect. it was 3 hours lost and had to restart all over again.

Source direct, Original Resolution this is something the chip manufacturer don't implement in hardware/firmware/software, and they never will, this boxes are low cost devices to last 1 year maximum until the next chip arrives.

Anyone with high-end hardware/displays, stay way from this half-solutions, and get a proper source.

All this years of Xbmc/kodi i havent seen any settings to bypass the hardware video processing (no idea why) maybe because the public target of Kodi/xbmc are low cost solutions.

I don't understand first paragraph. Any TV/projector should be calibrated with reference source (signal generator or at least a calibrated bluray).
Any player should have either a calibrated mode or a way to calibrate the player.
My 70EUR LG BP740 passed chroma test from Spears And Munsil 2 in film mode, my q5-IV don't, even with Imprex Off (althought with Imprex On the results are worse).
On real content it's hard to see difference so I use Himedia every day for convenience.
The other non-calibrated modes either from player or TV are usefull because sometimes peoples like more saturated/contrasted content rather than calibrated.

RE: HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio) - OlivierQC - 2016-09-06

@looun,

i use this one :

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/learn/how-to-calibrate-your-tv

Brightness :
http://i.rtings.com/images/test-materials/2015/101_Brightness.png

Contrast :
http://i.rtings.com/images/test-materials/2015/102_Contrast.png

see you

RE: HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio) - M3lloW - 2016-09-06

I used this for projector and tv......
https://www.amazon.de/datacolor-S4EL100-Datacolor-Spyder-Elite/dp/B006TF36TM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473177573&sr=8-1&keywords=spyder+projektor
(ofc another one for the PJ from my projector store cs the spyder 4 is for normal screens)
Profesionell equipment, not "eye and picture"

RE: HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio) - wesk05 - 2016-09-06

(2016-09-06, 15:20)looun Wrote: there is a reference guide or video test to calibrate brightness and contrast ? Undecided
A guide for calibration is out of scope of this forum. So, I am not going to get into that.
This guide is good for beginners: Grayscale and Color Calibration for Dummies The guide is written for Chromapure, but you will get an idea.

You can also use the freely downloadable test patterns: AVS HD 709 Test Patterns

If you are going to use HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro as the source, download the MP4 patterns.

The goal is to set contrast to get a peak white output of 120 cd/m2 and brightness to a level where you can see nothing below the reference black (16). Now, you will be able to do this only if Q5/Q10 Pro can pass blacker than black (0-15) in the test pattern. Not all Android boxes pass 0-15. Shield will pass, but none of the Amlogic boxes or Raspberry Pi2 will. I don't know how it is on the Q5/10 Pro.

RE: HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio) - boblo - 2016-09-06

(2016-09-06, 09:45)futeko Wrote: I believe hdmkv got a response from HiMedia last night acknowledging and promising a fix for the left edge 3D problem. There should be a private beta firmware next week and a new official 1 or 2 weeks after that.

A video would help with getting HiMedia to look seriously at the 'turning off Imprex' problem. I have mentioned it to them several times (I send regular bug / feature requests) but they are having trouble reproducing it. They replied today pointing out that Imprex can be turned off manually as is discussed in this thread, but I do understand that this isn't entirely the problem, people want to be able to turn off all processing.
First of all, thanks for your interest in this issue. I proposed to hdmkv to make a video in order to prove this problem. He has the necessary skills to reveal the real problem to HiMedia. Unfortunately, I don't have this device yet, so I cannot make this video nor provide further information on this issue. That being said, I'm willing to buy a Q10 Pro if this issue is completely solved (ASAP). This is the only deal breaker for me, because I prefer an image without enhancements almost always.

And yes, you understood well, people want to be able to turn off all processing with only ONE change in the UI (by setting Imprex Mode to OFF), without modifying brightness, contrast, HDR, color space, or doing any other tricks. That's how it should work in my opinion.

Thanks again.

RE: HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio) - hdmkv - 2016-09-06

Making a video to show effects of Imprex won't help as it won't be anywhere near an accurate representation of what's actually happening on the real screen. As Simon has already asked HiMedia about this, let's see what they say... I agree w/you that OFF should mean totally OFF.