Kodi Community Forum
Android HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Android HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio) (/showthread.php?tid=265888)

RE: HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio) - nenito2k - 2017-03-02

thanx @hdmkv: been reading a while and never realised that! with zidoo that is NOT the case as kodi-fork image is much inferior to native zidoo player...interesting

please tell me, or try at least

1- do you think we will soon see a STABLE kodi 17 for hisilicon/pro q ? zidoo is working on their fork, and minix with U9 has already a very stable release....so
2- for kodi 18 and 19 (yes we are way off....), which soc will most likely be future proof between amlogic s912/hisilicon v200 and realtek 1295 ? (i know ideal would be intel/amd pc with w10!)
you see i am still undecided between zidoo/himedia q pro and minix U9....and this is a serious criteria....
3- which of the 3 players (minix u9 is recent, but based from your knowledge on amlogic s905...) offer the better interlaced upscaling for live tv ?

Smile

RE: HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio) - wrxtasy - 2017-03-02

(2017-03-02, 07:41)nenito2k Wrote: thanx @hdmkv: been reading a while and never realised that! with zidoo that is NOT the case as kodi-fork image is much inferior to native zidoo player...interesting

1- do you think we will soon see a STABLE kodi 17 for hisilicon/pro q ? zidoo is working on their fork, and minix with U9 has already a very stable release....so
I can answer some of these....and provide general info...

Reality check !

Firstly lets not get carried away with the word "very Stable" until proper serious testing has been done across a wide range of Video and Audio codecs for the shiny new U9. If you want relatively stable Kodi (compared to Android) use LibreELEC Kodi. There will be some nice surprises in store for LibreELEC Kodi v18 ;-)

Quote:2- for kodi 18 and 19 (yes we are way off....), which soc will most likely be future proof between amlogic s912/hisilicon v200 and realtek 1295 ? (i know ideal would be intel/amd pc with w10!)
Future proofing has got to involve DolbyVision - and that will all depend on Firmware support and Dolby Licensing - especially if a Firmware upgrade can enable DV metadata extraction by just using the media players CPU.
Even though SoC's may support DV, you still need to the Firmware support to enable such features. And Software to enable use of this.

Quote:you see i am still undecided between zidoo/himedia q pro and minix U9....and this is a serious criteria....
3- which of the 3 players (minix u9 is recent, but based from your knowledge on amlogic s905...) offer the better interlaced upscaling for live tv ?
Smile
Personally I don't trust deinterlacing for reliability on Android at all, especially when using Kodi Krypton. Nor upscaling either.

If you use a 4K TV and the 4K Media Player set at 4K res. and get "Soft" looking picture output of 480/720/1080p content, as reported HERE then the media player's hardware has poor quality hardware upscaling.
For Kodi use only, you have to use SPMC and then also Lanczos3 - optimised upscaling to get decent Kodi picture output at 2160p of upscaled 480/720/1080p content.

So the question is what's the upscaling like on the Q5/Q10 vs say Intel ?

Nearly all Android platforms have known broken App Resolution switching too, which compounds the problem. (FireTV's have this working I'm told).

Not sure about the Q5/Q10 resolution switching when using Apps ?

For ease of use - LibreELEC Kodi on AMLogic or Intel is what you want if you need all this to work seamlessly and let a 4K TV handle the upscaling with its superior upscaling algorithms and silicon.

Ultimately the BIG problem you have is trying to get one Kodi box to do it all.

IMHO you are going to have to make compromises going down this pathway.
You are better off leaving Android to Android Apps and narrow niche specialities - like 3D on some hardware platforms.
And then use "Pure" LibreELEC Kodi boxes for everything else. :-)

RE: HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio) - nenito2k - 2017-03-02

great answers there Wink nice reading you

RE: HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio) - looun - 2017-03-02

(2017-03-02, 08:21)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-03-02, 07:41)nenito2k Wrote: thanx @hdmkv: been reading a while and never realised that! with zidoo that is NOT the case as kodi-fork image is much inferior to native zidoo player...interesting

I can answer some of these....and provide general info...

Reality check !

Firstly lets not get carried away with the word "very Stable" until proper serious testing has been done across a wide range of Video and Audio codecs for the shiny new U9. If you want relatively stable Kodi (compared to Android) use LibreELEC Kodi. There will be some nice surprises in store for LibreELEC Kodi v18 ;-)

kodi 17 is stable with hisilicon box , not crash o any issues , but the is two limitation:

1) new IEC61937 API for Audio passtrought not work ,output Audio is 2.0 PCM, we try push many times to fix this.... Confused
kodi 16/SPMC work RAW for DD and DTS.

2) permission problem for HI-Frequency Switcher http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=265888&pid=2463399#pid2463399 , but there is a work-round.

(2017-03-02, 08:21)wrxtasy Wrote:
Quote:2- for kodi 18 and 19 (yes we are way off....), which soc will most likely be future proof between amlogic s912/hisilicon v200 and realtek 1295 ? (i know ideal would be intel/amd pc with w10!)
Future proofing has got to involve DolbyVision - and that will all depend on Firmware support and Dolby Licensing - especially if a Firmware upgrade can enable DV metadata extraction by just using the media players CPU.
Even though SoC's may support DV, you still need to the Firmware support to enable such features. And Software to enable use of this.

no more need special chip for dolby vision can be done by software https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/25/dolby-vision-hdr-in-software/

Quote:you see i am still undecided between zidoo/himedia q pro and minix U9....and this is a serious criteria....
Smile

hardware interlaced and upscaling work very i use THX WOW! for test.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=265888&pid=2450203#pid2450203

RE: HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio) - wrxtasy - 2017-03-02

It's still unclear what your deinterlacing results were, those posts were all over the place.

Ideally if your serious about deinterlacing - you want Full Motion, either Hardware decoding/deinterlacing or Software decoding/deinterlacing (YADIFx2 - Pullup Correction PC:2) of mpeg2 / H264 content from Live and Recorded TV sources using any of Kodi's PVR Clients.

And also you need flawless playback of Interlaced DVD ISO's and .VOB files. LibreELEC Kodi can do all this without even getting out of bed.

RE: HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio) - JJMKK - 2017-03-03

Hello from a newbee..

I understand that many of these TV Boxes either come rooted or can be rooted. I am told that the HiMedia Q10 Pro running Android N 7.0 can not be rooted.

My question.. Is root really necessary or not? Is there any downside not having root.. Thanks..

RE: HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio) - tmihai20 - 2017-03-03

@JJMKK: where did you read that? I rooted my Q10 Pro on Lollipop and now on Nougat. It is very easy to do since adb server is running as root on it already. You really do not need root unless you want to use a backup app like Titanium Backup. Everything you can apply (mods and stuff) do not need root. I am backing up mine with Titanium Backup and this is why I am rooting it.

RE: HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio) - nenito2k - 2017-03-03

@wrxtasy : dumb question...why can libreelec do those stuff and not kodi..that is the source!?

To all: just curious if smpc is really better than native kodi 17.1. i have read that they are equal..depending on people...

RE: HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio) - ltworf13 - 2017-03-05

No Audio on Optical - receiver is not 4k
Just got the box
My LG TV is 4K but my receiver is not. I have the HDMI direct to the TV and Optical to my receiver and I'm not getting sound.

HDMI Output: Close
SPDIF: LPCM
HBR Raw 7.1

RE: HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio) - nenito2k - 2017-03-05

something wrong there....to me it simply seems your don't know how to make your settings...

Anyway just saw the big zidoo update...that fixes subtitles and brings iso bluray. Himedia has to worry !

RE: HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio) - ltworf13 - 2017-03-05

it's working correctly now with the right settings. figured out settings for HDMI and Optical. I'll have to get a 4K HDMI port so I can get 4K and DTS-HD-MA 7.1. Those things are expensive hopefully a cheap one will work ok.

The Media Wrapper that comes installed with Q10 does not seem to work. Any suggestions please.. It looks like it's going to start then stops

Standard version : HMD-2.0.1 2017-01-10

RE: HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio) - nenito2k - 2017-03-05

can you tell us if streaming 4h HDR is possible with ac wifi ?! what about 1080p + 7.1 audio ?!

RE: HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio) - ltworf13 - 2017-03-06

used Media Auto-mount to mount my NAS folders. I can see and play the folders via the Media Center. However through kodi or file manger the subfolders are not visable just the parent folders

RE: HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio) - tmihai20 - 2017-03-06

(2017-03-05, 21:08)nenito2k Wrote: can you tell us if streaming 4h HDR is possible with ac wifi ?! what about 1080p + 7.1 audio ?!

If you are referring to Netflix/HBO/Amazon and similar devices, not, streaming is only working in SD. There is no HD, fullHD or 4K streaming in those apps. This device only has Widevine L3.