Kodi Community Forum
Win Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Win Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback (/showthread.php?tid=266316)

RE: Intel-specific HTPC/NUC Selection w/reliable MVC 3D ISO - hdmkv - 2016-04-11

(2016-04-11, 14:06)dukester Wrote: i also just install right overtop, during install, it prompts to keep user data then it proceeds to say uninstalling previous versions before it installs again. figured its just doing the same thing anyways.
Probably the same, but here's @afedchin's suggestion that uninstall was safer.

(2016-04-11, 10:08)noggin Wrote:
(2016-04-10, 20:20)wesk05 Wrote: Image
Is this with bitstreamed audio for the three different formats, or with audio decoded to multichannel PCM?

One 23.976p frame has a duration of 41.7ms, so we're looking at between 0.5 and 4.5 frames of A/V delay.

@wesk05, I'm wondering the same thing, whether there's A/V sync delay w/LPCM as indicated by Sync-One2, and if so, to what degree(s)? Also, not sure I saw which video types the tests were with (3D ISO's)? Since it appears there is A/V sync delay no matter what w/bitstreaming, it's a question of what's perceptible (and becomes annoying) to each of us. Instruments help w/unbiased data, but w/o them, most of us will need to rely on good 'ol eyes 'n ears Smile.

I am finding it odd there's such variance between different builds though, so hopefully further development can address this for most Intel h/w.

RE: Intel-specific HTPC/NUC Selection w/reliable MVC 3D ISO - wesk05 - 2016-04-11

(2016-04-11, 10:08)noggin Wrote: Is this with bitstreamed audio for the three different formats, or with audio decoded to multichannel PCM?
One 23.976p frame has a duration of 41.7ms, so we're looking at between 0.5 and 4.5 frames of A/V delay.
All these numbers are for bitstreamed audio. Comparable AV sync error was present even with decoded multichannel PCM. That kind of surprised me. Yes, we are looking at 4-5 frame delay in some cases. You can actually quite easily notice this with the test pattern.

(2016-04-11, 14:13)hdmkv Wrote: @wesk05, I'm wondering the same thing, whether there's A/V sync delay w/LPCM as indicated by Sync-One2, and if so, to what degree(s)? Also, not sure I saw which video types the tests were with (3D ISO's)? Since it appears there is A/V sync delay no matter what w/bitstreaming, it's a question of what's perceptible (and becomes annoying) to each of us. Instruments help w/unbiased data, but w/o them, most of us will need to rely on good 'ol eyes 'n ears Smile.

I am finding it odd there's such variance between different builds though, so hopefully further development can address this for most Intel h/w.
The numbers in the table are all for 2D test pattern and bitstreamed audio. I got somewhat similar numbers with decoded PCM audio also. I haven't yet done a complete test with decoded audio. I have done some measurements with 3D test pattern also. The numbers weren't much different from those of 2D. Yes, the perceptible error will be different for each individual. I start to get annoyed only when it exceeds ~100ms. I will PM you a link for the 3D ISO version of the test pattern. I would appreciate if you checked it on your systems. With @afedchin's builds, I get a green line at the bottom. I don't get this on the Pi2. So, I am not sure whether it is a problem with my file or not.

(2016-04-11, 03:40)wizziwig Wrote: Have you tested any other builds besides this experimental MVC version using this method? I wonder how much of that a/v sync error is just inherent to Kodi in general. Would be interesting to see if non-Windows like OpenElec does any better, including on devices like Rpi.
I have actually tested it on nVIDIA SHIELD and Pi2. I think most of it is inherent to Kodi and also system (AVR, display) specific. SHIELD was interesting in that over time (~1 min) the error got corrected by itself. Pi2 also had ~140ms error (bitstreamed and decoded audio).

I do want to mention here that the numbers that I have posted are not absolute. They are specific to my system. I did the tests only to check the variation between different Kodi builds.

RE: Intel-specific HTPC/NUC Selection w/reliable MVC 3D ISO - Skank - 2016-04-11

new build available

RE: Intel-specific HTPC/NUC Selection w/reliable MVC 3D ISO - movie78 - 2016-04-11

(2016-04-11, 19:06)Skank Wrote: new build available

New Krypton MVC Windows build: April 11

RE: Intel-specific HTPC/NUC Selection w/reliable MVC 3D ISO - dukester - 2016-04-11

(2016-04-11, 19:24)movie78 Wrote:

just installed and tested and i have huge out of sync on movie start, ff/pause/rr get it back in sync but even then it looks out still.. ill post a log up in the other thread

RE: Intel-specific HTPC/NUC Selection w/reliable MVC 3D ISO - movie78 - 2016-04-11

(2016-04-11, 19:50)dukester Wrote:
(2016-04-11, 19:24)movie78 Wrote:

just installed and tested and i have huge out of sync on movie start, ff/pause/rr get it back in sync but even then it looks out still.. ill post a log up in the other thread

It looks like 1 step forward 2 steps backwards.Sad

PS: Can everyone participating in this Windows 3D MVC journey add their Windows Hardware to their signature.
Thanks!

RE: Intel-specific HTPC/NUC Selection w/reliable MVC 3D ISO - hdmkv - 2016-04-11

Man, keeping post #1 updated is a daily activity. This is a fast-moving development.

RE: Intel-specific HTPC/NUC Selection w/reliable MVC 3D ISO - Skank - 2016-04-11

Hate it
Cant install windows on dn2820 now fucked up with uefi and legacy mode and disk partitions..
Dont know what original settings was in bios either argh..

(2016-04-11, 22:24)Skank Wrote: Hate it
Cant install windows on dn2820 now fucked up with uefi and legacy mode and disk partitions..
Dont know what original settings was in bios either argh..

The Intel Visual Bios gets a little complicated, what are you seeing when the device boots up?

First i could install windows until it. Said to reboot to finish, then problems started
It hanged
Restarted then had to reinstall, didnt want to anymore.. Changed in boot..
Could reinstall , untill need to reboot again.. Then it started.. Looking at devices.. Again stuck
Wanted to reinstall couldnt anymore... Cause partition wasnt right.. Blablabla.

Fixed it somehow and its reinstalling again
Dont know what to choose uefi or legacy. I think its uefi now but my ssd is only under legacy not uefi
Hope it works now
Windows install is on usb stick, do i leave it there when it says it needs restart.. Cause i think it will boot from it again

Can you show me advanced boot settings in ur bios pls

RE: Intel-specific HTPC/NUC Selection w/reliable MVC 3D ISO - wizziwig - 2016-04-11

(2016-04-11, 19:04)wesk05 Wrote: I have actually tested it on nVIDIA SHIELD and Pi2. I think most of it is inherent to Kodi and also system (AVR, display) specific. SHIELD was interesting in that over time (~1 min) the error got corrected by itself. Pi2 also had ~140ms error (bitstreamed and decoded audio).
I do want to mention here that the numbers that I have posted are not absolute. They are specific to my system. I did the tests only to check the variation between different Kodi builds.

How does your test device actually work? It's not clear from their website. I assume it times the delay between a sound coming out of your speakers and a strobe/flash of light coming out of your display? Most displays have an inherent lag to begin with - LCD because of pixel response or video processing.

When you look at the 'o' codec info, is there a delay displayed there? Some OpenElec builds had a very high default delay of 175ms as discussed here.

It's been a long time since I've done any testing but when i removed that 175ms delay, I saw no significant difference on my Chromebox vs. a stand-alone BD player. My method of comparison rules out any issues coming from Display or AVR delay. I simply captured the HDMI output of each player and then compared them in an editor where I could see the video and matching audio data for each frame. For reference, I also decoded the original file on a PC and extracted perfectly synced video and audio tracks. The HDMI output was within 1 frame of reference. This was for a single 24p AC3 bitstreamed test file. Can't guarantee all other files and formats were equally in-sync.

(2016-04-11, 22:35)Skank Wrote: First i could install windows until it. Said to reboot to finish, then problems started
It hanged
Restarted then had to reinstall, didnt want to anymore.. Changed in boot..
Could reinstall , untill need to reboot again.. Then it started.. Looking at devices.. Again stuck
Wanted to reinstall couldnt anymore... Cause partition wasnt right.. Blablabla.

Fixed it somehow and its reinstalling again
Dont know what to choose uefi or legacy. I think its uefi now but my ssd is only under legacy not uefi
Hope it works now
Windows install is on usb stick, do i leave it there when it says it needs restart.. Cause i think it will boot from it again

Once the installation is finished remove the USB Stick.
Go the Bios and load default settings, don't change anything bios except the Dedicated Video Memory, that comes after( Not necessary required)

Fed up with it.. Reinstalled.. Rebooted.. Then booted auto from usb stick wanted to reinstall.. Huh?
Pulled usb out rebooted.. Stuck
Usb back in. Rebooted to boot menu selected uefi ssd, booted now it get stuck on windows saying prepare devices..

I hate this!

(2016-04-11, 22:48)Skank Wrote: Fed up with it.. Reinstalled.. Rebooted.. Then booted auto from usb stick wanted to reinstall.. Huh?
Pulled usb out rebooted.. Stuck
Usb back in. Rebooted to boot menu selected uefi ssd, booted now it get stuck on windows saying prepare devices..

I hate this!

What are you doing wrong?