Kodi Community Forum
Win Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Win Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback (/showthread.php?tid=266316)

RE: Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback - damagedspline - 2021-09-07

(2021-08-19, 21:25)viulian Wrote:
(2021-08-19, 13:05)robl45 Wrote: You know you can watch inside of Kodi with the madvr / MPC combo by using the dsplayer Kodi version. That's basically all I use now. I been wanting to try this one again but it seems there are so many issues.

Yes, thank you, indeed, I knew about that way of getting things working, but somehow, it was just my backup plan ? I have already installed the HDMI CEC convertor into the NUC and I admit I did not check if the dsplayer alternative works with it, i just assumed not. Raspberry Pi works perfectly with HDMI CEC but I kinda grew tired of RPi not being so responsive in the UI. I hoped RPi4 would fix these issue, the initial Libreelec announcement promised 3D MVC, but as we know ... Also, I have stayed away of solutions that were vendor locked in, as if there will be a better / faster way to play 3D, they would get very quickly obsolete, while a RPi3 / NUC will always be reusable for other possible purposes. Thus, my interest in getting this Kodi native 3D MVC going - to get a more Pi3 experience.

Meanwhile, I understood why the 3D Desktop is switched off when Kodi starts (there were some older Kodi builds that were trying to integrate with the desktop, and you could force them one way or the other) but @damagedspline managed to enable 3D on the fly when playback starts / stops, and works perfectly!

Noticed one more problem, the 3D playback seems chopped when using Kodi 19.1 vs MPC-BE/madVR which is smooth. Took me a while to realize that the problem is the frequency. All the Kodi 3D .iso samples (which I use to test) seem to be at 23.976Hz and madVR properly switches the TV to 24Hz (according to the TV Info button). But Kodi 19.1 switches only to 30Hz (which is a supported frequency for the TV in 3D, but doesn't match what the movie is, thus, choppy playback). I whitelisted only the [email protected] and playback is very smooth.

@damagedspline - did you publish your patches somewhere ? I am also curious to check the integration with the Frequency and the outdated Windows API calls - and was wondering if I could build this too ?

Thank you!

My patches are posted here: https://github.com/damagedspline/xbmc/tree/mvc-upstream

I work differently with git. I maintain upstream branch and cherry pick to the desired release branch when needed.

BTW, kodi resolution change code is really outdated and require too much effort to fix than what i can afford.

RE: Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback - robl45 - 2021-09-07

(2021-08-19, 21:25)viulian Wrote:
(2021-08-19, 13:05)robl45 Wrote: You know you can watch inside of Kodi with the madvr / MPC combo by using the dsplayer Kodi version. That's basically all I use now. I been wanting to try this one again but it seems there are so many issues.

Yes, thank you, indeed, I knew about that way of getting things working, but somehow, it was just my backup plan ? I have already installed the HDMI CEC convertor into the NUC and I admit I did not check if the dsplayer alternative works with it, i just assumed not. Raspberry Pi works perfectly with HDMI CEC but I kinda grew tired of RPi not being so responsive in the UI. I hoped RPi4 would fix these issue, the initial Libreelec announcement promised 3D MVC, but as we know ... Also, I have stayed away of solutions that were vendor locked in, as if there will be a better / faster way to play 3D, they would get very quickly obsolete, while a RPi3 / NUC will always be reusable for other possible purposes. Thus, my interest in getting this Kodi native 3D MVC going - to get a more Pi3 experience.

Meanwhile, I understood why the 3D Desktop is switched off when Kodi starts (there were some older Kodi builds that were trying to integrate with the desktop, and you could force them one way or the other) but @damagedspline managed to enable 3D on the fly when playback starts / stops, and works perfectly!

Noticed one more problem, the 3D playback seems chopped when using Kodi 19.1 vs MPC-BE/madVR which is smooth. Took me a while to realize that the problem is the frequency. All the Kodi 3D .iso samples (which I use to test) seem to be at 23.976Hz and madVR properly switches the TV to 24Hz (according to the TV Info button). But Kodi 19.1 switches only to 30Hz (which is a supported frequency for the TV in 3D, but doesn't match what the movie is, thus, choppy playback). I whitelisted only the [email protected] and playback is very smooth.

@damagedspline - did you publish your patches somewhere ? I am also curious to check the integration with the Frequency and the outdated Windows API calls - and was wondering if I could build this too ?

Thank you!

Still haven't got to play with this version again, but I can say that the Dsplayer version does use the correct frequencies.  I believe I set it to switch via MadVR.

RE: Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback - damagedspline - 2021-09-11

I have given up on getting full resolution "HW based" support on my Coffeelake NUC - tried with both passive and active hdmi adapters & edid programmers on the hdmi port. As said in the first post, it just wont work. For now i use 2 systems in tandem, the CFL NUC for 2D viewing and an 8 yr old haswell laptop for 3D.
I want one system to do both, any updated recommendations? The excel sheet in the first post seems outdated...

System requirements:
X64 processor
8GB ram
128GB emmc/m2/ssd
H265 & VP9 decoding
Audio passthrough capable of Atmos
At least 2 usb 3.0 ports
Windows 10 license

I ordered earlier today a j4125 system from AliExpress for 180$ just to see if it supports the full resolution "HW based" mode.

My current system is connected to a bluray drive so kodi is decoding my encrypted 2d/3d bluray discs for viewing on the fly - hence the requirements stated above.

RE: Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback - K0D1User1138 - 2021-09-12

(2021-09-11, 22:55)damagedspline Wrote: I have given up on getting full resolution "HW based" support on my Coffeelake NUC - tried with both passive and active hdmi adapters & edid programmers on the hdmi port. As said in the first post, it just wont work. For now i use 2 systems in tandem, the CFL NUC for 2D viewing and an 8 yr old haswell laptop for 3D.
I want one system to do both, any updated recommendations? The excel sheet in the first post seems outdated...

System requirements:
X64 processor
8GB ram
128GB emmc/m2/ssd
H265 & VP9 decoding
At least 2 usb 3.0 ports
Windows 10 license

I ordered earlier today a j4125 system from AliExpress for 180$ just to see if it supports the full resolution "HW based" mode.

My current system is connected to a bluray drive so kodi is decoding my encrypted 2d/3d bluray discs for viewing on the fly - hence the requirements stated above.

Why not build a small HTPC with an optical drive and the specs to get full MVC 3D working with Kodi? An Intel 3rd gen CPU with HDMI or displayport out, 8GB RAM, SSD and optical drive will do what you need, unless you are running 4K content as well which then I don't know what changes are needed with HDMI and processor capability.

I set my dad up with a used Dell Optiplex 390 system, came with Windows 10, put in a SSD and more RAM and it works very well. It doesn't look horrid in an entertainment unit and has a footprint about the size or an XBox One S.

RE: Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback - damagedspline - 2021-09-12

(2021-09-12, 10:00)K0D1User1138 Wrote: Why not build a small HTPC with an optical drive and the specs to get full MVC 3D working with Kodi? An Intel 3rd gen CPU with HDMI or displayport out, 8GB RAM, SSD and optical drive will do what you need, unless you are running 4K content as well which then I don't know what changes are needed with HDMI and processor capability.

I set my dad up with a used Dell Optiplex 390 system, came with Windows 10, put in a SSD and more RAM and it works very well. It doesn't look horrid in an entertainment unit and has a footprint about the size or an XBox One S.

As far as i saw, 3rd gens cant decode vp9 on hw...

RE: Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback - K0D1User1138 - 2021-09-12

(2021-09-12, 11:39)damagedspline Wrote:
(2021-09-12, 10:00)K0D1User1138 Wrote: Why not build a small HTPC with an optical drive and the specs to get full MVC 3D working with Kodi? An Intel 3rd gen CPU with HDMI or displayport out, 8GB RAM, SSD and optical drive will do what you need, unless you are running 4K content as well which then I don't know what changes are needed with HDMI and processor capability.

What content do you have that is VP9?

Everything in the media libraries I maintain are, at most, HEVC 4K. I haven't had any issues playing HD content of any codec that can be found "out there" with full 1080p HD and Dolby Digital+ audio, and all Blu-ray rips work fine.

You can look for a newer generation CPU as well, just stating what is working fine for 3D and I maintain a couple of 3D set-ups all with a dedicated HTPC of some variety.

RE: Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback - damagedspline - 2021-09-14

(2021-09-12, 20:31)K0D1User1138 Wrote:
(2021-09-12, 11:39)damagedspline Wrote:

What content do you have that is VP9?

Everything in the media libraries I maintain are, at most, HEVC 4K. I haven't had any issues playing HD content of any codec that can be found "out there" with full 1080p HD and Dolby Digital+ audio, and all Blu-ray rips work fine.

You can look for a newer generation CPU as well, just stating what is working fine for 3D and I maintain a couple of 3D set-ups all with a dedicated HTPC of some variety.

VP9 & AV1 are opensource web streaming formats for high res.

I tried to play H265 on a 4th gen laptop and it maxed out the cpu until kodi crashed after 7 mins... That is my issue with SW based decoding.
On the other hand, i tried the same on my 10th gen laptop and 3d, atmos and high res decoding worked flawlessly. Anyway, i'll wait for my order and test again then.

RE: Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback - Krobar - 2021-09-14

(2021-09-11, 22:55)damagedspline Wrote: I have given up on getting full resolution "HW based" support on my Coffeelake NUC - tried with both passive and active hdmi adapters & edid programmers on the hdmi port. As said in the first post, it just wont work. For now i use 2 systems in tandem, the CFL NUC for 2D viewing and an 8 yr old haswell laptop for 3D.

System requirements:
X64 processor
8GB ram
128GB emmc/m2/ssd
H265 & VP9 decoding
At least 2 usb 3.0 ports
Windows 10 license

I'm using my Coffeelake I3-8300S with your build and a passive adapter and it works fine. It does not work with the HDMI 2.0 port. I'm not sure about VP9 but H265 4K 10bit and H264 MVC 3D works fine for hardware decode and I'm actually using a VM with only 2 cores assigned. I do have to have Protected Audio Video Path (PAVP) enabled in the bios but I'm guessing NUCs don't have many bios options.

RE: Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback - damagedspline - 2021-09-14

(2021-09-14, 15:36)Krobar Wrote:

System requirements:
X64 processor
8GB ram
128GB emmc/m2/ssd
H265 & VP9 decoding
At least 2 usb 3.0 ports
Windows 10 license

I'm using my Coffeelake I3-8300S with your build and a passive adapter and it works fine. It does not work with the HDMI 2.0 port. I'm not sure about VP9 but H265 4K 10bit and H264 MVC 3D works fine for hardware decode and I'm actually using a VM with only 2 cores assigned. I do have to have Protected Audio Video Path (PAVP) enabled in the bios but I'm guessing NUCs don't have many bios options.

Vp9 hw decoding is available on all intel uhd600 and above, cfl has it.

RE: Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback - Morpog - 2021-09-16

I got a new system. Upgraded from Core i5 3550S to a Ryzen 5 5600G (integrated GPU).
On Win 10 21H1 with libmfxsw64.dll (Version 7.16.5.13) in System32 folder, I can watch 3D MVC Blu-ray ISOs in Kodi 18.9 MVC release. I have to enable 3D on desktop settings, so same behavior as with my old Intel System. It is just SW based MVC decoding, but works flawlessly with about 10% CPU usage.

In latest 19.1 MVC release it always crashes Kodi when I start the movie. I tried different "3D MVC decoder HW support level" settings in Kodi Settings but so far no luck. With this DLL 19 should be biggest level it supports in SW decoding.

As I am using 18.9 MVC as portable with own database, it's not that much of a hassle for me. Still getting it to work with latest Kodi would be cool.

RE: Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback - damagedspline - 2021-09-16

(2021-09-16, 11:03)Morpog Wrote: I got a new system. Upgraded from Core i5 3550S to a Ryzen 5 5600G (integrated GPU).
On Win 10 21H1 with libmfxsw64.dll (Version 7.16.5.13) in System32 folder, I can watch 3D MVC Blu-ray ISOs in Kodi 18.9 MVC release. I have to enable 3D on desktop settings, so same behavior as with my old Intel System. It is just SW based MVC decoding, but works flawlessly with about 10% CPU usage.

In latest 19.1 MVC release it always crashes Kodi when I start the movie. I tried different "3D MVC decoder HW support level" settings in Kodi Settings but so far no luck. With this DLL 19 should be biggest level it supports in SW decoding.

As I am using 18.9 MVC as portable with own database, it's not that much of a hassle for me. Still getting it to work with latest Kodi would be cool.

The libmfx*.dll must match the vcruntime version used by kodi or you will get crashes. Where did you got it from?

Fyi, I get crashes upon play (either 2d or 3d) when using the kodi backup addon and restoring on a different machine like from CFL nuc to 10th gen laptop.

RE: Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback - udobroemme - 2021-09-24

There seems to be more than just a runtime incompatibility. I have a Ryzen 2400G and your Matrix build (KodiSetup-20210601-e5b3fd32-19.1-Matrix-mvc-x64.exe) didn't run on my system while the latest Leia MVC build (KodiSetup-18.9-mvc.v18-x64.exe) runs perfectly with software MVC decoding.
Windows 21H1
Latest AMD graphics drivers 21.9.2
libmfxsw64.dll version 7.16.5.13

To make sure that VC runtime incompatibilities aren't the root cause I compiled your mvc.v18 branch and the xbmc Matrix branch with your two mvc patches applied with VS2017. Both self compiled versions show exactly the same behavior as the builds provided by yourself in this thread.

Leia MVC works perfectly with software MVC encoding and interlaced, sbs or ou output.
Matrix MVC build, setting "hw mvc decoder support level" < 20: The video starts, but the screen stays black. The OSD is correctly shown in 3D. The log is flooded with the following error messages as long as the video is running:
2021-09-24 16:21:01.762 T:9156    ERROR <general>: DXVA::CProcessorHD::GetInputView: cannot create processor input view.
2021-09-24 16:21:01.762 T:9156    ERROR <general>: Skipped 1 duplicate messages..
2021-09-24 16:21:01.762 T:9156    ERROR <general>: DXVA::CProcessorHD::Render: incomplete views set.

Matrix MVC build, setting "hw mvc decoder support level" >= 20: The video is visible, but only in 2D because of:
2021-09-24 16:21:35.409 T:6112    ERROR <general>: CMFXCodec::Init: MSDK not available
Full log: https://paste.kodi.tv/hoqiviruzi.kodi

I know that sw mvc decoding isn't a priority here and  I highly appreciate your efforts to keep 3D for Kodi alive. But maybe the info helps to keep it alive also for AMD systems. Smile

RE: Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback - damagedspline - 2021-09-24

(2021-09-24, 16:46)udobroemme Wrote: There seems to be more than just a runtime incompatibility. I have a Ryzen 2400G and your Matrix build (KodiSetup-20210601-e5b3fd32-19.1-Matrix-mvc-x64.exe) didn't run on my system while the latest Leia MVC build (KodiSetup-18.9-mvc.v18-x64.exe) runs perfectly with software MVC decoding.
Windows 21H1
Latest AMD graphics drivers 21.9.2
libmfxsw64.dll version 7.16.5.13

To make sure that VC runtime incompatibilities aren't the root cause I compiled your mvc.v18 branch and the xbmc Matrix branch with your two mvc patches applied with VS2017. Both self compiled versions show exactly the same behavior as the builds provided by yourself in this thread.

Leia MVC works perfectly with software MVC encoding and interlaced, sbs or ou output.
Matrix MVC build, setting "hw mvc decoder support level" < 20: The video starts, but the screen stays black. The OSD is correctly shown in 3D. The log is flooded with the following error messages as long as the video is running:
2021-09-24 16:21:01.762 T:9156    ERROR <general>: DXVA::CProcessorHD::GetInputView: cannot create processor input view.
2021-09-24 16:21:01.762 T:9156    ERROR <general>: Skipped 1 duplicate messages..
2021-09-24 16:21:01.762 T:9156    ERROR <general>: DXVA::CProcessorHD::Render: incomplete views set.

Matrix MVC build, setting "hw mvc decoder support level" >= 20: The video is visible, but only in 2D because of:
2021-09-24 16:21:35.409 T:6112    ERROR <general>: CMFXCodec::Init: MSDK not available
Full log: https://paste.kodi.tv/hoqiviruzi.kodi

I know that sw mvc decoding isn't a priority here and  I highly appreciate your efforts to keep 3D for Kodi alive. But maybe the info helps to keep it alive also for AMD systems. Smile

According to what you describe mfx (>20) is able to parse the 3d file but fails to render it.

This might be related to my current issue. My new intel box which arrived today (j4105 cpu) is able to switch to 3d view on the hdmi2.0 port but only one eye is showing the movie where the other is either blank or the rotating progress or the windows background so at least windows os can go full 3d mode. Sadly, remote debugging is crashing kodi so i cant trace it remotely. As a result, i am now putting a full dev env for kodi on this tiny device to attempt to trace the issue.as you noted dxva rendering is related to both our cases.

RE: Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback - udobroemme - 2021-09-26

(2021-09-24, 23:19)damagedspline Wrote: According to what you describe mfx (>20) is able to parse the 3d file but fails to render it.
That's the expected behavior without an AMD gpu and software decoding, isn't it? I can borrow a Nuc7
for some days and do some further testing if it helps.

RE: Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback - damagedspline - 2021-09-26

(2021-09-26, 11:20)udobroemme Wrote: That's the expected behavior without an AMD gpu and software decoding, isn't it?

Sadly, i dont own an AMD box to answer. Those instructions predates me doing the upgrade to from 18.7 to 18.9. in the kodi v19 code, they have completely rewrote the dxva layer which i had to patch for mvc to be rendered. Maybe i missed something which cause it to only work on some machines. Donno. As i said, i am limited to the hw i own so i can only test on the devices i can find.