Kodi Community Forum
4K / HDR content - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: 4K / HDR content (/showthread.php?tid=266870)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

4K / HDR content - afmiller - 2016-04-01

Is the Chromebox capable of streaming this content? More than likely I will be using the plex app within Kodi.

RE: 4K / HDR content - hdmkv - 2016-04-01

Kodi can't do HDR from what I understand.

RE: 4K / HDR content - Matt Devo - 2016-04-01

HDR requires a HDMI 2.0a interface, is there even any hardware which has that? I think the Shield TV is rumored to have it available via a software upgrade, but that's all I can think of.

Would Kodi, either via Windows or Linux (OpenELEC), be able to support HDR (not just 4K 10-bit @60fps, but HDR) with HDMI2.0a with Skylake or upcoming Kaby Lake?

RE: 4K / HDR content - noggin - 2016-04-01

Which HDR standard? There are multiple... And no obvious front-runners yet.

The UHD BD type, assuming SlySoft can do their magic at some point Wink.

(2016-04-01, 01:27)hdmkv Wrote: The UHD BD type, assuming SlySoft can do their magic at some point Wink.

UDH BD includes support for more than one HDR standard.

Confusing...
Quote:Ultra HD Blu-ray will support several different types of HDR metadata, including Dolby Vision and HDR10, an open standard supported by the Society of Motion Picture & Television Engineers (SMPTE). However, HDR 10 is a requirement for Ultra HD Blu-ray authoring. The rest will be up to individual content creators, and require TV compatibility with a specific type of HDR Metadata.
From this article.

RE: 4K / HDR content - dukester - 2016-04-01

(2016-04-01, 02:21)noggin Wrote:
(2016-04-01, 01:27)hdmkv Wrote: The UHD BD type, assuming SlySoft can do their magic at some point Wink.

UDH BD includes support for more than one HDR standard.

rec 2020 10 bit HEVC 4k at ~50mb/s is the format of all the "official looking" trailers ive downloaded so id say thats a minimum for bitrate

skylake is a no go, at least with i3 here for me, 10 bit stuff software decodes with low bitrate videos, but anything near 50 mb/s isnt watchable.

hdmkv, how does that himedia box handle those uhd hdr trailers??

RE: 4K / HDR content - Matt Devo - 2016-04-01

(2016-04-01, 01:27)hdmkv Wrote: The UHD BD type, assuming RedFox can do their magic at some point Wink.

FTFY

Yep, RedFox Smile ... hopefully it can survive.

(2016-04-01, 02:44)hdmkv Wrote: Confusing...
Quote:Ultra HD Blu-ray will support several different types of HDR metadata, including Dolby Vision and HDR10, an open standard supported by the Society of Motion Picture & Television Engineers (SMPTE). However, HDR 10 is a requirement for Ultra HD Blu-ray authoring. The rest will be up to individual content creators, and require TV compatibility with a specific type of HDR Metadata.
From this article.

Yep. Dolby are hoping people will go with Dolby Vision - but the practicalities of using it in anything other than film-style production are looking significant. Broadcasters are looking at a different standard to support live and as-live multi camera production (and avoid Dolby's proprietary system and licensing costs)

I've seen a number of HDR demonstrations. By far the most impressive display was the eyeball-searing Sony OLED display fed with some content shot, I think, on an F65. The way it captured and displayed bright detail in highlights was stunningly good.

(2016-04-01, 02:49)dukester Wrote: hdmkv, how does that himedia box handle those uhd hdr trailers??

With latest firmware (HMD-1.0.0 2016-03-03.212008), Q10 Pro isn't playing HDR for me. Doesn't matter if I switch to SDR, HDR10 or Dolby (for Dolby Vision) options. This is w/the HDR samples here. I have a non-HDR, 8-bit Vizio 4K TV, but w/previous firmwares, I got video+audio, albeit not in HDR mode, but it at least played and PQ was excellent.

RE: 4K / HDR content - wesk05 - 2016-04-01

As mentioned in earlier posts, HDR10 is mandatory on all UltraHD Blu-rays. In its current form, HDR10 is static HDR metadata and requires HDMI 2.0a. Dolby Vision is dynamic metadata embedded in the signal and doesn't require HDMI 2.0a. It can be tunneled in HDMI 1.4, but it requires the VS10 chip. Wait for this: there is an HDMI 2.1 standard in the works to support dynamic HDR metadata and also to support SDR covnersion. Right now, SDR conversion is up in the air. Some of the color space errors seen with HDR content on HiMedia Q10 Pro is likely due to this.

(2016-04-01, 04:01)wesk05 Wrote: As mentioned in earlier posts, HDR10 is mandatory on all UltraHD Blu-rays. In its current form, HDR10 is static HDR metadata and requires HDMI 2.0a. Dolby Vision is dynamic metadata embedded in the signal and doesn't require HDMI 2.0a. It can be tunneled in HDMI 1.4, but it requires the VS10 chip. Wait for this: there is an HDMI 2.1 standard in the works to support dynamic HDR metadata and also to support SDR covnersion. Right now, SDR conversion is up in the air. Some of the color space errors seen with HDR content on HiMedia Q10 Pro is likely due to this.

Yes - SDR compatibility is key. The BBC/NHK hybrid gamma appears to be getting broadcast industry support, as Dolby don't currently offer anything that appears to work for live multi-camera.