Kodi Community Forum
Intel Apollo Lake - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel Apollo Lake (/showthread.php?tid=270298)

RE: Intel Apollo Lake - infinity85 - 2016-12-22

(2016-12-22, 18:02)fritsch Wrote: No - not at all :-) That has nothing to do with HD-Audio. HD-Audio I consider "weeks". For the rest: No interest on my side, volunteers ahead.
Aah okay Smile
Regarding MVC and CEC it was more a general question, as this is the Apollo Lake thread and you are a Kodi Team Member, who perhaps knows more what is going on in background. But your reply implies that these features aren't looked at (at least for now), so fair enough Wink

Thanks for the answers, fritsch Smile

RE: Intel Apollo Lake - fritsch - 2016-12-22

In fact, currently not much is going on in the background. Krypton needs to come out finally, though once again totally worthless for intel users as we needed again sooo long that good things like HEVC-10 bit won't land in official Krypton. As I have a 60 hours / week normal job I don't have much time for kodi. In the last weeks I tried to polish the Android Audio parts a bit. Epic fail cause of totally broken API. But I think that will resolve itself for the future.

For kodi I was looking into API transition for ffmpeg and ported the PictureViewer stuff. Want to look into the HD-Audio issue (which is NO kodi issue at all, has 0 to do with kodi even), but would be nice if that gets working. For the rest: things, that I use and I have fun contributing come first as I only have limited time.

RE: Intel Apollo Lake - infinity85 - 2016-12-22

Totally understandable! Team-Kodi deserves a donation anyway for christmas, while I'm at it Big Grin

RE: Intel Apollo Lake - oo.viper.oo - 2016-12-23

(2016-12-22, 17:50)infinity85 Wrote: Now I've caught up every post in this thread and I'm also wondering about the CEC capability, which was mentioned in the specs. If I'm not wrong, it was only referring to the capabilities of the HDMI 2.0 bridge, right? This does not automatically mean that CEC is wired in hardware to anything, or does it?
Or are there any plans / chances that CEC might be included somehow without an additional PuleEight adapter (either internal or external)?

The bridge spec here (https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets/MegaChips%20PDFs/MCDP28x0_Datasheet.pdf) talks about CEC tunnelling over DP AUX channel. I guess that it means no additional hw is needed.

I believe that PulseEight is a HDMI <-> USB CEC bridge for cases where native HDMI or DP<->HDMI bridge does not support CEC natively. MegaChips seems to support CEC natively according to spec. It would be interesting is someone could test it, whether TV would relay the remote commands back to the ASRock box via CEC. Assuming the operating system and particular driver can expose the CEC over DP AUX.

RE: Intel Apollo Lake - infinity85 - 2016-12-23

(2016-12-23, 00:06)oo.viper.oo Wrote: MegaChips seems to support CEC natively according to spec. It would be interesting is someone could test it, whether TV would relay the remote commands back to the ASRock box via CEC. Assuming the operating system and particular driver can expose the CEC over DP AUX.
That would be interesting indeed, though I assume that kodi would need to have some kind of driver built in for that. And as far as I know all the CEC implementations are always going back to the PulseEight libCEC driver in Input/Peripherals. I always thought libCEC is kind of only PulseEight related. If it is so, then I doubt that the MegaChips implementation is compatible to it, don't you think? Unfortunately I don't own such a board, nor the new NUC (not yet released in germany apparently), so I cannot test it :/

RE: Intel Apollo Lake - raidflex - 2016-12-23

Is the update for 4k 10bit in the main Libreelec generic build (v7.90.010)?

RE: Intel Apollo Lake - trsqr - 2016-12-23

(2016-12-23, 00:27)infinity85 Wrote:
(2016-12-23, 00:06)oo.viper.oo Wrote: MegaChips seems to support CEC natively according to spec. It would be interesting is someone could test it, whether TV would relay the remote commands back to the ASRock box via CEC. Assuming the operating system and particular driver can expose the CEC over DP AUX.
That would be interesting indeed, though I assume that kodi would need to have some kind of driver built in for that. And as far as I know all the CEC implementations are always going back to the PulseEight libCEC driver in Input/Peripherals. I always thought libCEC is kind of only PulseEight related. If it is so, then I doubt that the MegaChips implementation is compatible to it, don't you think? Unfortunately I don't own such a board, nor the new NUC (not yet released in germany apparently), so I cannot test it :/
Do you see a device on your ASRock system that could be used to access the CEC data? The driver would need to hook to something... If you have the Pulse Eight device, it's clear: there is an USB device that the driver talks to.

I don't know whether the Intel display driver could somehow expose the CEC data, but I doubt.

The Intel NUC NUC6CAYH has the following functionality :
"The board contains two mutually-exclusive methods for controlling HDMI CEC devices:
- External CEC adaptor connected via CEC connector (item L in Figure 13; pinout in Table 18)
- Onboard CEC control from the embedded controller via HDMI cable and BIOS setup."

This means that you can use the limited functionality (switch TV on/off when powering the NUC) via BIOS or you get the Pulse Eight adapter to get full CEC support. At least there's a CEC header on the board. Does the ASRock have such a connector?

RE: Intel Apollo Lake - Dr.Feelgood - 2016-12-23

(2016-12-23, 08:24)trsqr Wrote:
(2016-12-23, 00:27)infinity85 Wrote:
Do you see a device on your ASRock system that could be used to access the CEC data? The driver would need to hook to something... If you have the Pulse Eight device, it's clear: there is an USB device that the driver talks to.

I don't know whether the Intel display driver could somehow expose the CEC data, but I doubt.

The Intel NUC NUC6CAYH has the following functionality :
"The board contains two mutually-exclusive methods for controlling HDMI CEC devices:
- External CEC adaptor connected via CEC connector (item L in Figure 13; pinout in Table 18)
- Onboard CEC control from the embedded controller via HDMI cable and BIOS setup."

This means that you can use the limited functionality (switch TV on/off when powering the NUC) via BIOS or you get the Pulse Eight adapter to get full CEC support. At least there's a CEC header on the board. Does the ASRock have such a connector?

The Asrock J4205-ITX does not have custom solution header, high res of the board https://cdn-reichelt.de/bilder/web/xxl_ws/E200/ASROCK_J4205-ITX_01.png
I was hoping that i could use CEC with this board without need of pulse eight, unfortunately it seems that we are left without CEC functionality ...

RE: Intel Apollo Lake - oo.viper.oo - 2016-12-23

(2016-12-23, 10:04)Dr.Feelgood Wrote: The Asrock J4205-ITX does not have custom solution header, high res of the board https://cdn-reichelt.de/bilder/web/xxl_ws/E200/ASROCK_J4205-ITX_01.png
I was hoping that i could use CEC with this board without need of pulse eight, unfortunately it seems that we are left without CEC functionality ...

Header is just workaround how to feed the CEC stream to computer via USB when native support in on-board HDMI is not present. You don't need workaround when you have native support in MegaChips. CEC via DP AUX is a standard. It's not custom solution like PulseEight. It's a standard like EDID via AUX is, for example. You don't need a header for EDID, right? It's supported by drivers.

The only problem is that as opposed to EDID, CEC via DP AUX is emerging standard, so it may not have sw support in place yet. We need Intel explain how CEC from DP AUX is exposed by Intel drivers and then libCEC plugin can be written.

RE: Intel Apollo Lake - L-S-D - 2016-12-23

the dp aux channel is currently used for ddc data, so this interface must be extended to support cec tunneling....

RE: Intel Apollo Lake - piotrasd - 2016-12-23

are you sure that mean support CEC ? "CEC tunnelling over DP AUX channel" that could also mean - if there exist CEC will tunneling over DP AUX channels ... this MegaChips is converter ... main task convert from DP to HDMI ... im not sure if that chip could provide CEC support if no exist in system

(2016-12-23, 13:25)piotrasd Wrote: are you sure that mean support CEC ? "CEC tunnelling over DP AUX channel" that could also mean - if there exist CEC will tunneling over DP AUX channels ... this MegaChips is converter ... main task convert from DP to HDMI ... im not sure if that chip could provide CEC support if no exist in system

my understanding is that it bridges the serial cec data from the connected hdmi devices into the dp aux channel and vice versa, at the end it's just data which needs to be presented with the correct level and speed on the hdmi side

here latest build for our Apollo/Kaby lake.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/65yhi9/4f4f54e742f0c06b3f581b571aed47e0 with fernet/fritsch chnages + latest kodi (krypton) and kernel
in new kernel they added CEC support.

Code:
HDMI CEC support (MEDIA_CEC_SUPPORT) [N/y/?] (NEW) y
   HDMI CEC debugfs interface (MEDIA_CEC_DEBUG) [N/y/?] (NEW)

mostly i thnik they add this for Pulse8

Code:
USB HDMI CEC adapters
   Pulse Eight HDMI CEC (USB_PULSE8_CEC) [N/m/?] (NEW)

here info from help
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kyotxdrdjuwpjt5/Zrzut%20ekranu%202016-12-23%2012.14.36.png?dl=0

but i didnt saw anything in dmesg and lsmod

-------------
@L-S-D about CEC on normal GPU x86 i never saw support, only with NUC and pins on mainboard with aditional adapter/chip (like from Pulse8)
also SolidRun has mainboard with Intel Braswell/Broadwell and there was CEC support but they add special for that arm chip ...
http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/03/28/solidrun-introduces-intel-braswell-microsoms-and-solidpc-q4-carrier-board/

"MCU – STMicro STM32F042K4U6 ARM Cortex-M4 with 5 generic input/output, 1xHDMI CEC, and 1x IR input connected to main processor via USB."

well you should see the bridge chip as the p8 cec adapter (which does nothing else but translating serial data into cec data), whats missing is the code to make use of it. drm code has functions to access the aux channel (and makes use for it eg for ddc).

ok im not expert Wink i hope you have right Wink and there is possibility run CEC Wink
in this kernel they added HDMI CEC debugfs interface ... you can try check ...

update:

im tried
Code:
modprobe cec debug=2
and bring cec module to start

Linux cec interface: v0.10

but no any info on asrock j3455-itx
Code:
modinfo cec
filename:       /lib/modules/4.9.0/kernel/drivers/media/cec/cec.ko
license:        GPL
description:    Device node registration for cec drivers
author:         Hans Verkuil <[email protected]>
depends:        rc-core,cec-edid
intree:         Y
vermagic:       4.9.0 SMP mod_unload
parm:           debug:debug level (0-2) (int)

Code:
modinfo cec-edid
filename:       /lib/modules/4.9.0/kernel/drivers/media/cec-edid.ko
license:        GPL
description:    CEC EDID helper functions
author:         Hans Verkuil <[email protected]>
depends:
intree:         Y
vermagic:       4.9.0 SMP mod_unload

so DP aux channel debug left ..