Kodi Community Forum
Intel Apollo Lake - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel Apollo Lake (/showthread.php?tid=270298)

RE: Intel Apollo Lake - maxtherabbit - 2017-02-01

Just built a new LibreELEC machine with ASRock J3455-ITX, MS-Tech CI-70, 120W, Intel 80 GB SSD and 2 x 4 GB RAM.

It seems that it's not powerful enough to do yadif deinterlacing with 1080i h264 material. Other deinterlacing methods (motion adaptive, motion compensating and bob work).

It's not a huge problem, because I intend to use it mainly as a backend machine with MySQL and TVHeadend.

Everything else worked out of the box with LibreELEC v7.95.1 BETA.

RE: Intel Apollo Lake - noggin - 2017-02-01

(2017-02-01, 13:02)maxtherabbit Wrote: It seems that it's not powerful enough to do yadif deinterlacing with 1080i h264 material. Other deinterlacing methods (motion adaptive, motion compensating and bob work).

Why would you use YADIF 2x if you have Motion Compensative? AIUI Motion Compensative should be as good, if not better. (Or are you deinterlacing stuff that can't be hardware decoded?)

RE: Intel Apollo Lake - maxtherabbit - 2017-02-01

(2017-02-01, 14:53)noggin Wrote:
(2017-02-01, 13:02)maxtherabbit Wrote: It seems that it's not powerful enough to do yadif deinterlacing with 1080i h264 material. Other deinterlacing methods (motion adaptive, motion compensating and bob work).

Why would you use YADIF 2x if you have Motion Compensative? AIUI Motion Compensative should be as good, if not better. (Or are you deinterlacing stuff that can't be hardware decoded?)

I'm no Linux expert, but it seemed to me that on this forum YADIF 2x was the recommended method for the best quality deinterlacing. If that's not case then thanks for the correction. On Windows I've always used vector adaptive deinterlacing.

RE: Intel Apollo Lake - fritsch - 2017-02-01

Vaapi-mcdi is suggested.

RE: Intel Apollo Lake - piotrasd - 2017-02-01

Hi
Kodi 17 final just released so i builded based on LE8 and Kodi 17 new image

https://www.sendspace.com/file/bzqd7v/a263314e2a691600eb58bffef5acd40e
(whole image based only on stable packages and kernel added only HEVC10 bit patches)

later i will made experimental based on latest kernel, intel stuff, mesa etc.

btw. i saw Gemini lake (next gen) has native HDMI 2.0 Smile

RE: Intel Apollo Lake - sublow - 2017-02-01

Good work piosrasd your current build has been rock solid for me.

Just downloading now.

RE: Intel Apollo Lake - sunnyfunny - 2017-02-02

can not install your build.

i create the .nocompat folder with mkdir .nocompat.
but without success.

Edit: Note to myself..... create a file... not a folder

RE: Intel Apollo Lake - piotrasd - 2017-02-02

use touch .nocompat Wink

RE: Intel Apollo Lake - noggin - 2017-02-02

(2017-02-01, 15:22)maxtherabbit Wrote:
(2017-02-01, 14:53)noggin Wrote:

I'm no Linux expert, but it seemed to me that on this forum YADIF 2x was the recommended method for the best quality deinterlacing.

YADIF 2x is a pretty good software de-interlacer - and was recommended on platforms where the native hardware de-interlacing wasn't available under Linux for a while (Intel took forever to properly implement hardware de-interlacing in their Linux drivers) Weston 3-field is also well regarded, with different pros and cons. (W3F was used in lots of broadcast equipment that needed to de-interlace prior to scaling)

However if you have high quality hardware deinterlacing - that is usually preferred.

Quote:If that's not case then thanks for the correction. On Windows I've always used vector adaptive deinterlacing.

Vector Adaptive is probably another name for, or very similar to, Motion Compensative (which I believe uses motion vectors to track motion between fields)

RE: Intel Apollo Lake - Nekromantik - 2017-02-02

(2017-02-01, 21:34)piotrasd Wrote: Hi
Kodi 17 final just released so i builded based on LE8 and Kodi 17 new image

https://www.sendspace.com/file/bzqd7v/a263314e2a691600eb58bffef5acd40e
(whole image based only on stable packages and kernel added only HEVC10 bit patches)

later i will made experimental based on latest kernel, intel stuff, mesa etc.

btw. i saw Gemini lake (next gen) has native HDMI 2.0 Smile

thanks!
will the experimental be based on Kodi 18 or 17?

i will keep stable kodi 17 (just bump system packages to latest master and kernel to drm-nighlty)
, maybe i will try Kodi-agile 18 when i will have some more time ..but i little afraid that alpha and there is a lot of changes, for sure many addons will not work

RE: Intel Apollo Lake - Valter84 - 2017-02-02

(2017-01-30, 15:35)htpcero Wrote:
(2017-01-30, 11:54)noggin Wrote:
(2017-01-30, 07:16)htpcero Wrote: The resolution/refresh rate change takes 2-3 seconds, the screen goes black and audio stops during the process. Tried different "refresh adjust delay" settings but couldn't find a way to shorten (or remove) the glitch. Perhaps it's the TV.
It's the TV and/or the AVR re-syncing to the new video signal at a new frame rate and resolution that causes the blank screen (and often a flash of the TV or AVRs on-screen display).

The 'refresh adjust delay' is there in Kodi so that you can pause playback for the same amount of time to avoid clipping content I believe.

Tuning the delay parameter I could get the audio stop/re-start go away, this helped. The smallest setting that achieved this was 2.5s. The only annoyance I noticed so far is with some youtube videos that trigger a refresh rate change some 6-7s after the video playback started, interrupting playback for a few secs, these are 720p or 1080p videos that start at 30.0fps and suddenly change to 29.97fps, seems meaningless, perhaps a bug with inputstream/adaptive. Only a few YT videos do this, others stay at 30fps and do not cause a refresh rate change (I use 60fps in the GUI)

I have also set the screen resolution on windows to 1080p 60p and using the "adjust the refresh rate on star stop" option I had one problem with kodi 17.2 (latest one I tried), when watching 720p or 1080p content the screen resoltuon adjust to 4k (checked on tv pressing input source). I was hopping to stay @ 1080p and let the tv do the upscale to 4k.
My tv is a Hisense 55M5500.

RE: Intel Apollo Lake - oncdoc - 2017-02-02

I am new to this hobby.

Seasoned veterans here my question is when do you think logistically in terms of historical timeline, will be high definition audio bit streaming be implemented for the Apollo Lake chips?

I have a new Apollo lake NUC and cant do DTS atmos.

Does the kaby lake i3 do passthrough properly ? I can still return my Apollo lake NUC, thats why I ask.

@oncdoc
check history of this topic Wink

RE: Intel Apollo Lake - Nekromantik - 2017-02-02

(2017-02-02, 16:49)piotrasd Wrote: i will keep stable kodi 17 (just bump system packages to latest master and kernel to drm-nighlty)
, maybe i will try Kodi-agile 18 when i will have some more time ..but i little afraid that alpha and there is a lot of changes, for sure many addons will not work
OK. Yeah prefer 17 for now. I had add on bugs on LE millhouse builds due to kodi 18.