Kodi Community Forum
XBMC on Intel Mac Mini - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: XBMC on Intel Mac Mini (/showthread.php?tid=27488)

Pages: 1 2

XBMC on Intel Mac Mini - flash - 2007-07-22

I have recently gotten a mac mini. 1.83 GHZ Core Duo. Its fast enough to playback any of the 720p content i throw at it. Not tested 1080p yet but i hear its up for the job also. The Intel GM950 graphic card seems to be a little sub standard. I see in some threads that XBMC will only support GM965 and above. What is the likely hood of getting XBMC up and running on the mac mini?
I get a GLX error when starting the gl xbmc compile and there is a compile error for the SDL mode so i have been unable to test any XBMC yet. Running Ubuntu with the desktop effects turned on i get all the 3D desktop effects working fine so i think there is hope for the GM950! Anybody got any ideas when the SDL compile will be fixed. Cheers.

- mbuchoff - 2007-07-23

Can you copy-paste the compile error?

- flash - 2007-07-23

mbuchoff Wrote:Can you copy-paste the compile error?

GUIFontTTF.cpp: In member function ‘void CGUIFontTTF::RenderCharacter(float, float, const CGUIFontTTF::Character*, D3DCOLOR)’:
GUIFontTTF.cpp:914: error: ‘angle’ was not declared in this scope
make[1]: *** [GUIFontTTF.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/xbmc/XBMC/guilib'
make: *** [guilib] Error 2

This is revision 9592 which was the most recent when i checked out. Not checked for any updates yet. Other people have mentioned it in other threads.

- mbuchoff - 2007-07-25

Unfortunately, it appears as though XBMC is trying to use software rendering, which is broken at the moment (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=27442).

Can you try piping make to a text file and see if "--disable-gl" is in it? Maybe if it is and you remove it, it will "magically" work.

- flash - 2007-08-11

Progress update. Its now working. Got the latest from svn and the GL version is running well on the mac mini. It was using between 3-5% CPU and running about 45-50 FPS. Setting up ubuntu and getting it working corrrectly with my Samaung 40" TV was the hard bit and its still not perfect but its will get there in the end. Anyone know about getting the apple remote working with XBMC? Its great to see that the mac mini is up for the job even with its crap graphics card.
Cheers.

- Skindred - 2007-08-11

Can you tell me a little more about that remote, flash?
Is it IrDA? (InfraRed)
or Bluetooth?

of it is InfraRed, LIRC might do the trick for ya Wink

- GrandAnse - 2007-08-11

flash Wrote:Progress update. Its now working. Got the latest from svn and the GL version is running well on the mac mini. It was using between 3-5% CPU and running about 45-50 FPS. Setting up ubuntu and getting it working corrrectly with my Samaung 40" TV was the hard bit and its still not perfect but its will get there in the end. Anyone know about getting the apple remote working with XBMC? Its great to see that the mac mini is up for the job even with its crap graphics card.
Cheers.

Have you tryed to play HD video files, 720p or 1080p ?

Do you have a new Core 2 Duo Mac mini ?

- flash - 2007-08-12

GrandAnse Wrote:Have you tryed to play HD video files, 720p or 1080p ?

Do you have a new Core 2 Duo Mac mini ?

No i have the older Core Duo model. 720p playback is fine in OSX. For the highbitrate 720p vids its struggling at the moment in linux but i'm sure that will be sorted. The box is more than up for the job. My tv will only handles 720p so i am not interested in 1080p but i have tried some with no luck. Its possible the newer Core 2 Duo models might have better luck.

Remote control - solver - 2007-08-12

I've succesfully been using inputlirc on my mac mini under ubuntu 7.04 to control mythtv. It's based on the sourcecode of LIRC but only supports input events (/dev/input/event*). However, it's much easier to setup than LIRC when it comes to events. Like LIRC, you have to create a lircrc file and use irxevent at the prog entry and define keyboard commands to send at the config entry.

In my case the remote control worked out of the box with ubuntu 7.04, but you can check it by running lsinput and you should have an entry that says "Apple Mac mini infrared remote controller". As far as I remember you need the uinput module loaded in order for it to work.

I compiled the XBMC source last night and it's working quite well. I can look up IMDB info about movies and play them. However, the audio sync is a bit of, sometimes ahead and sometimes behind. And for some reason I can fast forward but not rewind. As far as i can tell music playback is stable but I am unable to lookup track info and fetch covers. It simply crashes with a "core dumped". Are others experiencing the same or is this a mac mini issue?

- ewequeone - 2007-09-24

any progress on the issues solver and flash have mentioned here? I'm keen on buying a macmini and all the home theatre/media centre software I've seen for it is completely and utterly crap.

If xbmc works on it I'll buy one tomorrow Smile

- flash - 2007-10-30

ewequeone Wrote:any progress on the issues solver and flash have mentioned here? I'm keen on buying a macmini and all the home theatre/media centre software I've seen for it is completely and utterly crap.

If xbmc works on it I'll buy one tomorrow Smile

I have recently installed ubuntu 7.1 and this solves all the screen setup issues. It sets up the Intel Graphics Mod driver correctly which is great. XBMC is running really well. ~95 FPS and 720p seems to be running fine. There is however a problem in that quiet often there is some strange lines appearing on the screen. Hard to describe but i get the same when using the glxgears and moving it around screen. Just cannot deal with movement. If i use mplayer or VLC its not a problem though. I guess this is because no OpenGL support. I know the mplayer port is way down the list of things to do for XBMC but looks like it will be required for the macmini to display video correctly. Cheers.

- Gamester17 - 2007-10-30

flash Wrote:There is however a problem in that quiet often there is some strange lines appearing on the screen. Hard to describe but i get the same when using the glxgears and moving it around screen. Just cannot deal with movement.
Could it be page tearing that you are seening?, try enabling v-sync via xorg.conf

Does that help?

- Gamester17 - 2007-10-31

Gamester17 Wrote:Could it be page tearing that you are seening?, try enabling v-sync via xorg.conf
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=29437

Helps some people at least Wink

- flash - 2007-11-05

Gamester17 Wrote:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=29437

Helps some people at least Wink

OK the fix for this was as simple as enabling the option in XBMC.
Another problem i seem to have is when playing back MKV 720p files i am getting the backing tracks for the audio but not the main audio track itself. I have a simple setup. No sound system to speak of so just want normal stereo sound. Any ideas anyone. This is quiet annoying.

Now that video playback is sorted does anyone have the mac mini remote working correctly. On my first install of lirc and it running the config tool i was able to select the apple remote. All was working fine and in IRW i could see the apple remote sending commands. I then rebooted the machine and lirc will just not work. irw will jsut says connection failed. Anybody got any ideas? I am going to retry install from fresh again.

1 more question. I know this is very insecure but i am not too bothered. How do i disable the ubuntu login screen so that i just go straight to my desktop. I do not want to have a keyboard attached to the macmini all the time for this. Also i would like XBMC to start when i click a button on the remote but i assume i can set this up with lirc when i get it running.

- flash - 2007-11-05

flash Wrote:1 more question. I know this is very insecure but i am not too bothered. How do i disable the ubuntu login screen so that i just go straight to my desktop.

There is an option for automatic login under System>Administration>Login Window. Should have googled before i asked the question. Cheers.