Kodi Community Forum
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=275083)

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - wrxtasy - 2017-06-10

No fail.. with that tuner, did you do any reading ?

System requirements:
Intel® Core ™ 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or AMD Athlon X2 8 GHz or better
4G memory or more
USB 2.0
Windows® 10 / 8.1 / 7 (32/64-bit)

You cannot just plug a TV Tuner into any Android Box and expect it to magically work out of the box, there needs to be Kernel Support and then Software tuner support. None of which the Mi Box has, even with Nougat.
Please do some reading and understand you need to run an external TvHeadend PVR server:

http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR

For Android TV - TV viewing from the external TvHeadend server you use the Live Channels - TvHeadend Beta App on the Mi Box. It is not PVR software but only Live OTA TV streaming.

Looks like you had a corrupt download. Try again with the other Mega Download option from the one you already used. I believe there are two options and you maybe choose the .zip option.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - MarceFX - 2017-06-10

(2017-06-10, 16:17)wrxtasy Wrote: No fail.. with that tuner, did you do any reading ?

System requirements:
4G memory or more
USB 2.0

You cannot just plug a TV Tuner into any Android Box and expect it to magically work out of the box, there needs to be Kernel Support and then Software tuner support. None of which the Mi Box has, even with Nougat.

Thanks. But I did some reading (almost the whole thread). Since USB tuner support was mention, I went ahead and ordered that tuner (I can send it back to the store at no cost). In their official site they also mention Android support:

Exclusive app–HomeFree TV.
HomeFree TV is an iOS/Android app that turns your tablet, smartphone into a TV. By extending signals from the AVerTV Volar HD 2 on your PC to up to five mobile devices simultaneously, you can enjoy TV and share it with family anywhere around the house.

(2017-06-10, 16:17)wrxtasy Wrote: Please do some reading and understand you need to run an external TvHeadend PVR server:

http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR

For Android TV - TV viewing from the external TvHeadend server you use the Live Channels - TvHeadend Beta App on the Mi Box. It is not PVR software but only Live OTA TV streaming.

Looks like you had a corrupt download. Try again with the other Mega Download option from the one you already used. I believe there are two options and you maybe choose the .zip option.

I'm running the TVHeadend live channel, but I have an IPTV provider (I can't access the server), so it all depends on my internet connection. I want to use my regular DVB tuner (the one I use for regular TV), so I don't need an internet connection for that.

Thanks for helping out also with the corrupt download. I'll test it later. Anyway, you said Nougat is not going to let use regular USB tuner? Sad

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - MarceFX - 2017-06-10

(2017-06-10, 17:52)wrxtasy Wrote: Suggest you read Kodi's Forums Rules, specifically the Piracy Policy:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Forum_rules

And then Banned Addons:
http://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Forum_rules/Banned_add-ons

You will get no help on these Kodi forums for Illegal video streaming from some crappy Pirate servers.

Sorry, I don't really know whether you wanted to quote me, but just in case... I don't want to use crappy pirate servers. I'm trying to use regular TV channels (the ones I get from the coaxial antenna cable), but though the Mi Box, instead of my TV.
Blush

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - wrxtasy - 2017-06-10

That was for @Kyle1125

You need to run either:

a) an external TvHeadend server with that tuner on a RPi, Intel or AMLogic LibreELEC Box. Even then I'm not even sure the tuner will work on a AMLogic LE Box.

b) Run whatever TV Server Software comes with that USB Tuner on an External Intel machine and then download the corresponding Android HomeFree TV App. Even then I'm not sure that App will work on Android TV. If its a tablet App expect trouble.

Please read the PVR Wiki.
I seriously doubt you can Plug N Play that USB Tuner into the Mi Box.
The Mi Box's Android/Linux Kernel will not have the required USB Tuner driver support. In fact I know of no USB tuner support on the Mi Box at all.

Custom Firmware would be needed. But that's impossible because the Mi Box's Bootloader is locked down tight.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - arielgr - 2017-06-10

Hello folks,
Has anyone been able to write to a USB hdd with this box?
I have an external fat usb drive and am running the latest Nougat build.
No matter what i try, i cant write to it.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - jakejm79 - 2017-06-11

(2017-06-10, 16:17)wrxtasy Wrote: No fail.. with that tuner, did you do any reading ?

System requirements:
4G memory or more
USB 2.0

Please do some reading and understand you need to run an external TvHeadend PVR server:

(2017-06-10, 18:01)MarceFX Wrote: Exclusive app–HomeFree TV.
HomeFree TV is an iOS/Android app that turns your tablet, smartphone into a TV. By extending signals from the AVerTV Volar HD 2 on your PC to up to five mobile devices simultaneously, you can enjoy TV and share it with family anywhere around the house.

@MarceFX No you didn't do enough reading. It quite clearly says you need a PC to connect the AVerTV Volar HD 2 to and then you can view it on an Android device. Nowhere does it state you can connect it directly to an Android device. Time to educate yourself on what a backend and frontend is.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - MarceFX - 2017-06-11

(2017-06-10, 18:10)wrxtasy Wrote: That was for @Kyle1125

You need to run either:

a) an external TvHeadend server with that tuner on a RPi, Intel or AMLogic LibreELEC Box. Even then I'm not even sure the tuner will work on a AMLogic LE Box.

b) Run whatever TV Server Software comes with that USB Tuner on an External Intel machine and then download the corresponding Android HomeFree TV App. Even then I'm not sure that App will work on Android TV. If its a tablet App expect trouble.

Please read the PVR Wiki.
I seriously doubt you can Plug N Play that USB Tuner into the Mi Box.
The Mi Box's Android/Linux Kernel will not have the required USB Tuner driver support. In fact I know of no USB tuner support on the Mi Box at all.

Custom Firmware would be needed. But that's impossible because the Mi Box's Bootloader is locked down tight.

Ok, sorry for the misunderstanding. After a little more reading, I guess you're right, so I'm going to try another approach. I have a Windows machine acting as a server. I will install a TVHeadend server on a Linux virtual machine and plug the USB tuner into it. Then I will use the TVHeandend Live TV option on the Mi Box. I know it's a tedious workaround, but I like to have everything under the same input on the TV and with only one remote.

(2017-06-11, 01:48)jakejm79 Wrote: @MarceFX No you didn't do enough reading. It quite clearly says you need a PC to connect the AVerTV Volar HD 2 to and then you can view it on an Android device. Nowhere does it state you can connect it directly to an Android device. Time to educate yourself on what a backend and frontend is.

You're totally right. Sorry about that. I guess I got excited too soon... So, as I stated before, my approach will be a different one. Also, having my own TVHeadend server will let me reorder channels on the backend, since Android TV just lets you turn them off/on.

Thanks for your putting up with my questions! Big Grin

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - cdvreede - 2017-06-13

quick question - when installing the Beta version of Nougat I presume it wipes the box as in installed apps (such as Kodi)?? Any show stopper bugs in the Beta that would prevent me from using it as a daily driver??

thnx

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - insync44 - 2017-06-13

(2017-06-10, 22:35)arielgr Wrote: Hello folks,
Has anyone been able to write to a USB hdd with this box?
I have an external fat usb drive and am running the latest Nougat build.
No matter what i try, i cant write to it.

AFAIK I cannot write to my external attached 4TB Hard Drive, from my PC (if that's what you mean). To me the best for playing Video Files is still my WDTV Live Hub. Pity that's all it could do efficiently.

By the way you cannot write to the External HD on the Shield either. You can if you use it as a Plex Media Server.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - Hakihiko - 2017-06-13

Hi guys, today I finished to set Kodi 17.3 for Mi box, but I found a problem with watched status. When I try to change the status of a movie in "watched" nothing happen. The same when I finish to watch a movie or tv serie's episode, the status remain on "not watch". I tried to reinstall kodi and I tried with different skin, but the problem persists. This status is very important for me because I have ton of episodes and movie. What can I do?

Thank you

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - dotnetter - 2017-06-15

I've got the update, tried Kodi 17.3, SPMC (latest) and even a stable build of Kodi 18 (Leia) - still can't get any audio to play through my soundbar.

Has anyone experience of this box working with a soundbar?

I've tried Mi Box > TV (hdmi) > soundbar (optical) ..... note, this works 100% with my Fire TV box (1st gen)
I've tried Mi Box > TV (hdmi) + Mi Box > soundbar (optical)

I can't get anything.

Cheers,

Wayne

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - wrxtasy - 2017-06-15

(2017-06-15, 17:55)dotnetter Wrote: I've got the update, tried Kodi 17.3, SPMC (latest) and even a stable build of Kodi 18 (Leia) - still can't get any audio to play through my soundbar.

Has anyone experience of this box working with a soundbar?

I've tried Mi Box > TV (hdmi) > soundbar (optical) ..... note, this works 100% with my Fire TV box (1st gen)
I've tried Mi Box > TV (hdmi) + Mi Box > soundbar (optical)

I can't get anything.

Cheers,

Wayne

Very first question have tried selecting in Android TV Settings > Audio > Digital Sounds > HDMI ?

Then "Reset to Default" all Kodi Audio and only try with AC3/DD Audio Passthrough.

Does HDMI - DD/AC3 Passthrough Audio get passed to the TV without the Soundbar connected ?

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - dotnetter - 2017-06-15

Here are my settings (I'm running nougat so options may be different)

Settings > sound > system sounds - on
Settings > sound > surround sound - Automotive (that's not a typo... It actually says automotive!)
Settings > sound > dolby sounds - off
Settings > sound > digital sounds - hdmi

spmc
System > settings > audio output - reset above settings to default...
System > settings > audio output - enable passthrough
... Passthrough output device - Android, IEC Passthrough...
... Dolby digital (AC3) capable receiver

It could be my soundbar isn't up to the task (doesn't support required dolby stuff)... All I know is that I got audio from my fire tv.

Btw, I don't believe this is actually Kodi... Just realised I'm not getting any audio through the soundbar!

Is be interested to hear if anyone else has a basic soundbar working either with stock firmware or running nougat.

Cheers, Wayne

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - fab4272 - 2017-06-16

Speaking of new firmware, end of Q1 has passed (when it was meant to be released), and end of Q2 has also passed.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - utomek - 2017-06-16

Dear all,

I hope I don´t make to many people angry but I swear I´ve read and googled a lot.

I have a Mi Box running Kodi 17.3 and a Samsung HW-K950 Atmos Soundbar.

I am able to get DD+ Atmos 7.1 sound (mkv test files) but the other formats like TrueHD (Atmos) are not running.
If I understood correctly, some people are able to passthrough the singnal. If I understood something wrong, please let me know.
In my eyes I have tested all different parameter combinations.

Again, maybe I am wrong and TrueHD passthrough is not working here, then I can stop reading all different posts and live with that.

Thank you for your support!