Kodi Community Forum
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=275083)

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - thesuffering - 2017-08-24

(2017-08-21, 10:53)mitalm Wrote:
(2017-08-20, 04:49)thesuffering Wrote: whats the status of amazon video on this?

I've got it working with version 4.1.115 of the Amazon Video apk. You can tell it's not optimised fully but it definitely works. I'm on ATV 6.0, not sure if it will works on 7 Beta.

I'm in the UK with a Prime subscription and it works in Full 1080p on my TV (I don't have a 4k TV).

Some quirks in that you can only play one episode or movie and then you have to go back to the MiBox home screen and relaunch Amazon Video to view another episode or movie, other than that it works really well.

I will not be sharing the apk, it's quite easy to find if you want it.

4K doesnt work. It acts like its going to then pops up an error. HD works, like you said, with having to exit the app after a video to start another. I also found and used the 4.1.121 apk with the same results.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - mardds - 2017-08-26

Hello there, I bought the mibox for its supposed 4k and HDR streaming capabilities, however, when i tried streaming 4k content on Kodi i found out that 4 content is choppy and jittery, but normal content ran just fine including 1080p streams. so i thought the hardware was simply not powerful enough for 4k streaming even after all the settings adjusting i did, the stream was just too choppy to watch. after browsing through this thread i saw people were suggesting SPMC so i gave it a shot and it actually runs MUCH better than official kodi. i mean, 4k content runs much smoother, however, it's still just a tiny bit choppy. question is, how can i stream 4k smoothly ? and will installing the android 7.0 beta help at all ?

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - wrxtasy - 2017-08-26

Make sure Android Settings > Display > Screen resolution in selected to 4k2k60Hz

http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO%3AModify_the_video_cache

Take note of the changes in Kodi 17.x Krypton vs Kodi Jarvis.
SPMC uses Kodi Jarvis settings.

A plain text advancedsettings.xml file can be saved to as USB stick and then use SPMC's File Manager to copy it into the "Profile" directory. And then quit and restart SPMC.

Otherwise try a U-Green USB3.0 > Ethernet adapter.

If you want ultra smooth video playback buy a 4K HDR capable device that supports Kodi dynamic refresh switching like the popular AMLogic S905X LibreELEC Kodi Krypton combo.

Android 7.x beta will not help.
Leave Android TV for Android Apps only.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - mardds - 2017-08-26

(2017-08-26, 09:31)wrxtasy Wrote: Make sure Android Settings > Display > Screen resolution in selected to 4k2k60Hz

A plain text advancedsettings.xml file can be saved to as USB stick and then use SPMC's File Manager to copy it into the "Profile" directory. And then quit and restart SPMC.

If you want ultra smooth video playback buy a 4K HDR capable device that supports Kodi dynamic refresh switching like the popular AMLogic S905X LibreELEC Kodi Krypton combo.

Thank you for the quick and informative reply. i'll try to modify the settings on SPMC as it seems to stream 4k MUCH smoother than Kodi, as for the resolution i have it set at 4k60Hz, and i noticed that even 4k youtube playback is choppy. I'm afraid I'm stuck with this under powered box :/

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - Senseohasser - 2017-08-26

(2017-08-26, 09:31)wrxtasy Wrote: If you want ultra smooth video playback buy a 4K HDR capable device that supports Kodi dynamic refresh switching like the popular AMLogic S905X LibreELEC Kodi Krypton combo.

Any specific recommendation for a box? With LAN?

Dual Boot LibreELEC / Android or AndroidTV - $35 S905X MECOOL M8S Pro Plus (2GB/16GB)

Can also do DD+ 5.1 Audio 1080p Netflix and 4K Youtube with a user flashed unofficial ATV ROM. Smile

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - omadhaun - 2017-08-26

(2017-08-22, 20:09)flatcrusher Wrote: Dudes! Help. I recently bought the USA version of Mibox at Walmart. I did the July 31 update, and now the wifi is crippled. Only 1Mbps down. I can probably go buy a USB Ethernet adapter, but would like to resolve the wifi issue. Chatting with Xiaomi support is pointless. They just do the usual "reset box, reset modem", etc. I've done it all.

I'm wondering if it's the settings in my router? Any one experience this, and can provide a solution of some kind?

If you are connected via 5Ghz, make sure your WPA Encryption is set to AES and the Authentication is set to WPA2- Personal

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - thesuffering - 2017-08-26

(2017-08-26, 09:31)wrxtasy Wrote: Make sure Android Settings > Display > Screen resolution in selected to 4k2k60Hz

Ill add, 4K over wifi is going to have a lot of variables, ie 802.11N? AC? 2.4ghz? 5ghz? Distance from router? Building materials between router and Mi Box?

I have mine running over 5gz 802.11AC right now and 4K Netflix/Youtube work just fine without stutters. Kodi works, although it does take a minute to buffer in the beginning or if you shuffle around the video too much. This is especially more so if you are trying to do an HD audio stream like TrueHD/DTS-HD MA. I dont have a HDMI 2/HDCP 2.2 AVR yet, so I just have the TV sending audio via ARC to the AVR. This limits me to DD/DTS but 1. I dont really notice the difference and 2. If i did want HD Audio, id be giving up 4K video to go thru the AVR before the TV, so it is what it is. That said, changing the audio source to a regular DD/DTS source will cut down on buffering fairly significantly.

I have my UGreen USB3>Ethernet showing up tomorrow from Amazon. Buffering should mostly be a thing of the past after that.

Yes a lot of factors go into reliable 4K WiFi streaming.
If you want better reliability from marginal home WiFi you have to use an USB > Ethernet adapter.

I have no issues with 4K Netflix either using a MIMO 2.4/5GHz b/g/n Apple Extreme router from across the room.

4K Netflix uses highly efficient HEVC video compression which helps, and the bitrates would not be as high as UHD Bluray.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - timstephens24 - 2017-08-26

(2017-08-26, 17:32)wrxtasy Wrote: If you want better reliability from marginal home WiFi you have to use an USB > Ethernet adapter.

I still want to caution people away from this. I ran some tests with this again yesterday and on 802.11AC (access point across the room) I was getting 90Mbps (to Netflix), but with the USB adapter I was getting 40Mbps (to Netflix) and it wasn't very reliable.

It would be so much better to get a 802.11AC access point and plug that into the wire instead of a USB adapter.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - noggin - 2017-08-26

(2017-08-26, 17:55)timstephens24 Wrote:
(2017-08-26, 17:32)wrxtasy Wrote: If you want better reliability from marginal home WiFi you have to use an USB > Ethernet adapter.

I still want to caution people away from this. I ran some tests with this again yesterday and on 802.11AC (access point across the room) I was getting 90Mbps (to Netflix), but with the USB adapter I was getting 40Mbps (to Netflix) and it wasn't very reliable.

It would be so much better to get a 802.11AC access point and plug that into the wire instead of a USB adapter.

WiFi performance really does depend on your environment. If you live in a very built up area - your performance may be vastly inferior to that of someone who lives in a detached residence with land around them. I can see more than 50 WiFi networks in my living room...

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - timstephens24 - 2017-08-26

Totally agree, noggin, but also most of what you'll see will be in the 2.4Ghz range, and not the 5Ghz range.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - noggin - 2017-08-27

(2017-08-26, 22:46)timstephens24 Wrote: Totally agree, noggin, but also most of what you'll see will be in the 2.4Ghz range, and not the 5Ghz range.

Not in London where lots of people have BT Homehubs it won't be... The most recent few iterations have all been 802.11ac dual-band... I'd say more than half of the networks I can see from my flat are un-renamed BT hubs...

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - thesuffering - 2017-08-28

(2017-08-26, 17:55)timstephens24 Wrote:

I got my adapter today. Wifi was ~70Mbps (to Netflix) Ethernet was ~101Mbps (to Netflix)

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - fab4272 - 2017-08-28

Great. Android 8 is out, we are still stuck on 5 for official release.