Kodi Community Forum
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=275083)

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - GalAbutbul - 2017-12-24

(2017-11-03, 00:58)wrxtasy Wrote: Then - remember the "HDMI Self adaptation" Android settings function on some AMLogic boxes ?
Well that activates AMLogic's Frame Rate Automation functionality for smooth 23.976, 29.97 and 59.94fps video playback.

The equivalent of Android settings - HDMI Self Adaptation activation is:
Code:
echo 1 > /sys/class/tv/policy_fr_auto
echo 1 > /sys/class/tv/policy_fr_auto_switch

An echo 2 used to be Global Auto switching that even worked in various non Kodi / Plex Apps - but it seemed a bit experimental if you read the AML S9xx Linux Kernel comments. MINIX with their U9-H for example still have these Mode 1 and Mode 2 selections available in Android settings. 
if i change the parameter to 2 do i need to change to 2 for second one as well sorry for my english

Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - SuperLuigi - 2017-12-24

The problem still exists unfortunately.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - crashi - 2017-12-24

Is there still network issues with 1560?

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - Hakunamatata67 - 2017-12-28

Hi people,
does anybody know where is the font folder?
I'd like to use a different font for Kodi subtitles with my Xiaomi Mi Box.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - jprgomet - 2017-12-29

Hi .. I was reading thread but not sure .. 

with this box .. I understand this is ATV with normal ATV apps (not tablet).
.. I want to connect it to denon avr 2000 .. and display it on projector / tv .. 

I need 1080p Netflix (5.1 would be nice) .. in source original FPS so the image doesnt jump/stutter .. my tv/projector can switch to any FPS like 24/25/30/50
HBO go app the same ..  
I need Kodi to play local (from USB drive) 1080p mkv files in DTS or whatever  .. also in source original FPS like above .. 

So I guess FPS is the question, can I have playback at source rate?

Tnx!

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - wrxtasy - 2017-12-29

You need to buy an Apple TV 4K if you want frame rate matching with virtually all video streaming Apps like Netflix and Amazon Video for nice smooth video playback. This really works well and I highly recommend it. Killer feature IMHO.
No idea about HBO if it's even avail. on ATV 4K.
MrMC (Kodi Jarvis fork) or the really simple Infuse App is used for local content video playback.
Downside - you have to use home networked storage like a NAS, home router / Hard drive file server or even a cheap LibreELEC machine would do with its inbuilt plug n play SAMBA file server.

You cannot plug a USB HDD into an ATV 4K.

You will have to manually switch the Android resolution settings to match/guess the fps of source video content on the Mi Box. Even then it may not work properly. Welcome to PITA world. Not recommended for what you want a media player to do.
Kodi cannot do auto refresh switching on the Mi Box either.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - noggin - 2017-12-29

(2017-12-29, 14:20)wrxtasy Wrote: You need to buy an Apple TV 4K if you want frame rate matching with virtually all video streaming Apps like Netflix and Amazon Video for nice smooth video playback. This really works well and I highly recommend it. Killer feature IMHO.

ISTR that HBO Go in the US was supported on ATV2 and ATV3 so I'd expect ATV4 and 4K to also have support, and I think HBO Nordic is supported in the Nordic territories. (We don't have any HBO platforms in the UK because they are exclusive to Sky here)

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - gianrond - 2017-12-29

Hi guys,

I am on the latest marshmallow official version and have a lot buffering issues while streaming movies from my NAS.

The router is very fast, it's a TP link archer C9 supporting both 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands. The mi box is on the 5ghz band, and nothing else is connected to it, meaning that it's fully reserved for the mibox.

The issue that I have is that Kodi or SPMCC would both stop playing every now and then, buffering for a bit and then continuing to play. As you can imagine it is very annoying. The Wi-Fi speed I am getting is very high, over 400mbits, so definitely not a transfer speed issue. The signal is also very strong.

Does anyone have suggestions? I am currently using the default advancedsettings.xml file.

Many thanks!

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - jprgomet - 2017-12-29

(2017-12-29, 14:20)wrxtasy Wrote: You need to buy an Apple TV 4K if you want frame rate matching with virtually all video streaming Apps like Netflix and Amazon Video for nice smooth video playback. This really works well and I highly recommend it. Killer feature IMHO.
MrMC (Kodi Jarvis fork) or the really simple Infuse App is used for local content video playback.
Downside - you have to use home networked storage like a NAS, home router / Hard drive file server or even a cheap LibreELEC machine would do with its inbuilt plug n play SAMBA file server.

You will have to manually switch the Android resolution settings to match/guess the fps of source video content on the Mi Box. Even then it may not work properly. Welcome to PITA world. Not recommended for what you want a media player to do.
 thanks on fast reply .. so I guess Apple TV it is .. streaming will run as expected and other online services .. I will get correct frame rate .. 
I have R7800 Netgear router that has samba .. maybe that would work ?

I remember problems with subtitiles in separate file over network .. will I be able to get subtitles when pulling mkv + srt over network in "kodi" app or Infuse?

Looked up the price of apple tv .. 200 eur! .. a lot! .. is it really worth it?

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - timstephens24 - 2017-12-29

(2017-12-29, 14:32)noggin Wrote: ISTR that HBO Go in the US was supported on ATV2 and ATV3 so I'd expect ATV4 and 4K to also have support, and I think HBO Nordic is supported in the Nordic territories. (We don't have any HBO platforms in the UK because they are exclusive to Sky here)

They do in fact have HBO Go (and HBO Now) and it works with dynamic refresh rate/color space switching.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - wrxtasy - 2017-12-30

(2017-12-29, 16:45)jprgomet Wrote:

thanks on fast reply .. so I guess Apple TV it is .. streaming will run as expected and other online services .. I will get correct frame rate .. 
I have R7800 Netgear router that has samba .. maybe that would work ?

I remember problems with subtitiles in separate file over network .. will I be able to get subtitles when pulling mkv + srt over network in "kodi" app or Infuse?

Looked up the price of apple tv .. 200 eur! .. a lot! .. is it really worth it?
Yes streaming and frame rate matching / colorspace matching will work with virtually all video streaming Apps.
Samba on your Netgear router would be all you need.

Man Apple TV 4K's are nearly 50% more expensive in Europe compared to where I live. The Shield looks expensive there as well.

MrMC Kodi works fine with those subtitles. I would have to check for Infuse with external subtitles. Internal subtitles definitely work.

If you value smooth video playback with auto everything, hands off, sit back and relax - then yes the ATV4K is well worth it.
For tight App / OS integration alone it feels like a pretty polished product. Makes Android TV seem like a WIP by comparison.

Ultimately it is which video playback features you consider most important and if you can put up with video judder when using Apps on other hardware platforms or be willing to manually fiddle all the time with device settings.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - chaosengine - 2017-12-30

Good morning, My xiaomi box MDZ 16 AB has just arrived. and have left on MM 6.01 firmware as advised. was just curious if anyone can recommend either latest kodi from store , spmc etc on this box. in your experience. Am gutted it wont do refresh rate switching like my little libreelec box but hay ho.

Many thanks

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - jprgomet - 2017-12-30

wrxtasy .. thank you .. I guess I will use it a lot .. few times a week for sure .. for many years .. so hassle free solution would be worth extra 100 eur in comparison to other devices .. I will buy Apple TV 4K ..

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - Klojum - 2017-12-30

(2017-12-30, 11:51)chaosengine Wrote: was just curious if anyone can recommend either latest kodi from store , spmc, or ftmc etc on this box.
FTMC is on our banned list, so it is highly appreciated (and very recommended) to not mention it in any shape or form on this forum, or action(s) will be taken. Smile

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - chaosengine - 2017-12-30

🙊 sorry I should of read that in banned list of forks post. I didn't know, I do now! I apologize. Was only asking as maybe spmc etc may offer something to this hardware that vanilla kodi may not? its cool i'll figure it out.