Kodi Community Forum
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=275083)

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - Maxrunner - 2018-07-05

(2018-07-05, 13:28)Ogreen Wrote:
(2018-07-03, 11:20)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2018-07-02, 15:14)shrugg1e Wrote: @wrxtasy: Can you please explain whats the part/totle mode and what about "Auto Start Sling" in mi box settings?
totle shows how really poorly Xiaomi care about fixing Firmware Bugs before sending out a Firmware update.
Beta Testers told Xiaomi months an months ago about this simple mis-spelling and it still it did not get fixed.
It should be correctly spelled "Total"

In previous generations of AMLogic Marshmallow Firmware there are Frame Rate Refresh Switching Policies - Mode 1 and Mode 2.

Mode 1 (part in Oreo) is for auto resolution switching in Kodi & SPMC Apps if you also selected in Kodi settings - Adjust Display Refresh Rate to Start/Stop
Mode 2 (totle in Oreo) is more comprehensive and auto refresh switching then works with a whole bunch of Android Apps. BUT it is pretty buggy.

HDMI Self adaptation part/totle does not work with Oreo because of really poor testing and logging by Xiaomi themselves. Such Errors in Android logs are really basic stuff that any Newb Android developer would have picked up.

The reason why Auto refresh switching / HDMI Self Adaptation does not work is found in THIS post (click)

Auto Start Sling likely auto starts the Sling TV App on bootup.

So summing it up, you have a shiny new partially buggy Android TV Oreo OS from Google, Apps that are not fully compatible with Oreo, a brand new underlying Linux Kernel from AMLogic and a device released by a company who cares little it seems about getting even the basics right - like stable WiFi and NTFS HDD connectivity.

(tongue firmly in cheek) - I mean what could possibly go wrong ?

The words - "you get what you pay for" have never been more true !

Sad  
 Thanks for all these information Wink
It means we can hope something good from KODI Team for auto frame rate or we have to wait for Xiaomi firmware update ? 
What does auto frame rate do? is it responsible for fixing the ac3 codec stuttering thing?

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - wrxtasy - 2018-07-05

(2018-07-05, 13:28)Ogreen Wrote:  Thanks for all these information Wink
It means we can hope something good from KODI Team for auto frame rate or we have to wait for Xiaomi firmware update ?
The Non working Auto refresh rate switching has nothing do with Kodi.
As I already explained Xiaomi have to implement it properly in their Firmware. They have to fix it. It is their problem.

It is the same with NTFS Hard drives not working with Kodi, Xiaomi have to fix that as well. It is their problem.

Just remember NVIDIA, MINIX & WeTek are Kodi sponsors and it is no coincidence that Kodi auto refresh switching works with their Android Firmware. Those guys make it a priority and make sure that Kodi functionality works.

If you want auto Kodi refresh switching working get a device that is known to work like the ones above or buy a RPi, Intel, Zidoo or AMLogic LibreELEC device.
Do not buy a device "wishing" it might be added.

(2018-07-05, 15:17)wrxtasy Wrote:
As I already explained Xiaomi have to implement it properly in their Firmware. They have to fix it. It is their problem.

It is the same with NTFS Hard drives not working with Kodi, Xiaomi have to fix that as well. It is their problem.

Just remember NVIDIA, MINIX & WeTek are Kodi sponsors and it is no coincidence that Kodi auto refresh switching works with their Android Firmware. Those guys make it a priority and make sure that Kodi functionality works.

If you want auto Kodi refresh switching working get a device that is known to work like the ones above or buy a RPi, Intel, Zidoo or AMLogic LibreELEC device.

What does the lack of auto refresh do? Stuttering?
Edit: I still not understanding, the stutter issue, is there a fix for this? i can't play any full hd footage without stutter, does it have anything to do with this??

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - duepointe - 2018-07-05

(2018-07-05, 16:41)Maxrunner Wrote:
(2018-07-05, 15:17)wrxtasy Wrote:

Edit: I still not understanding, the stutter issue, is there a fix for this? i can't play any full hd footage without stutter, does it have anything to do with this?? 
You have to enable automatic frame switching under kodi settings. 
For example, you have a movie file 1080p 24fps. Once the movie starts it will change the refresh rate of your tv  from 60hz to 24hz. 
4k 30fps movie will be switched from 60hz refresh rate to 30hz.

(2018-07-05, 21:09)duepointe Wrote:
(2018-07-05, 16:41)Maxrunner Wrote:
(2018-07-05, 15:17)wrxtasy Wrote: The Non working Auto refresh rate switching has nothing do with Kodi.

For example, you have a movie file 1080p 24fps. Once the movie starts it will change the refresh rate of your tv  from 60hz to 24hz. 
Does that cause the stuttering?
Edit: yeah still stutters. Is there na way to fix this?And no sound either, what a mess.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - neik - 2018-07-05

(2018-07-05, 22:35)Maxrunner Wrote:
(2018-07-05, 21:09)duepointe Wrote:
(2018-07-05, 16:41)Maxrunner Wrote: What does the lack of auto refresh do? Stuttering?
Does that cause the stuttering? 
 No! Actually, it should be smoother with automatic switching given that the video and the screen are (more or less) synced.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - Maxrunner - 2018-07-06

Yeah I'm pretty disappointed with this. This works worse than with raspberry.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - fleeball - 2018-07-06

(2018-07-04, 13:17)duepointe Wrote:
(2018-07-04, 12:41)urkalz Wrote: Why is slow wifi attributed to the mi box? It's the mi box fault you got old tech slow router? I bet when my mi box arrives tomorrow I will have fast speeds coupled with my R7800 router and no problems playing 4K HDR Atmos movies.
 after the Oreo wireless AC is capped at 60 Mbps on my end. Its not the router's fault because i'm getting good speeds with my nexus player and Nvidia shield. 
if you check the first image all of them are getting good link on my router.
I already tried another wireless AC router and mibox is still capped at 60mbps. 
Before the update I can watch 4k HEVC Remux movies with 40 to 70 Gb in sizes. Now after the update everything is broken.
So even if you have the fast router it will just stay capped at 60 Mbps and you won't be able to stream those 4k HDR atmos movies.  
 I can confirm the issue with Wireless speeds since the Oreo update. I have 2 MiBox's, one updated to Oreo and the other still not updated. Both devices are connected to the same AC router and max out at 433Mbps(Maximum for the MiBox) connection speed. Although the Oreo MiBox throughput reaches approx 110Mbps, which seems to be fine for 4K HEVC remux videos, although there is some stuttering/buffering. The non Oreo MiBox throughput reaches upto 233Mbps and no issues with 4K HEVC videos. 

I don't have any external drives connected, all media is stored on a NAS.

I'm happy to run any tests to gain further insight.

Mibox​ Non Oreo Throughput​​​​​​
Mibox Oreo Throughput

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - wrxtasy - 2018-07-06

It's still a mystery why Oreo and Kodi Krypton on the Shield has no NTFS Hard Drive problems, but the Mi Box does.

What we do know is the VLC, Archos Media Player and upcoming v3.7.0 MrMC App can read NTFS Hard Drives, details HERE (click)

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - Geeeronimo - 2018-07-06

did you install iperf on the Mibox to have this ?

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - benghee - 2018-07-06

My mibox is connected with Yamaha YAS-207 soundbar, which was completely no problem of using it until the new Oreo updates come in and kill the mibox instantly. I'm using non 2.X HDMI cable and the setting is 1080p-24hz, colour depth RGB 8bit. When the box power on, it only load the Android logo then it goes blank on the menu after 2 seconds. If I disconnected from soundbar and directly input from TV, then the screen display normal. 

Does anyone knows what the solution here for me? I've tried few combination in Screen Resolutions and Color Depth but no luck at all. If i can get two high speed HDMI 2.X cables (one for ARC and another for mibox input), what settings here I should choose: 1080i or 720p? YCbCr444 10bit, 422 8bit, or RGB? 

Without the soundbar connection, or any new firmware update from Xiaomi, the mibox is completely useless to me. Hope anyone can help me here, many thanks. 🤝

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - wrxtasy - 2018-07-06

Xiaomi EU Forums (click) - where all the Oreo Firmware Horror stories and Gory details are being collected. Rated F18- for failure.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - duepointe - 2018-07-06

(2018-07-06, 08:29)Geeeronimo Wrote: did you install iperf on the Mibox to have this ?

you can sideload or use aptoide tv

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - flipside101 - 2018-07-06

@"wrxtasy" Are you able to weigh in on the back and forth around the blank screen HDCP issue in this forum, Xiaomi keep saying its netflix related and that we need to conncet to an HDCP 2.2 port fro it all to work. I'm responding sayinh no that cant be the cse as it all works if we put a splitter in or connect to a non 2.2 TV but imgoing to rapidly go aout of my comfort zone technically Smile well im there now hence this request

Ok strike that as I see your already talking and the next beta seems to have an HDCP 2.2 fix in it depsitethem not understanding the issue in the back and forth

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - er2es - 2018-07-06

Fixed for up and coming OTA

1. NTFS cannot be successfully detected 
2. HDCP 2.2 issues

https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/mi-box-3-oreo-internal-beta-test-program-submissions-temporarily-closed-30-member-test-group-reached.44778/