Kodi Community Forum
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=275083)

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - generalmilk - 2018-08-16

2179 fixed slow wifi. up/down 165mbps for me

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - wrxtasy - 2018-08-17

The worst App in the Android TV Playstore - ES File Explorer strikes again causing Hard Drive mounting issues with the Mi Box:

It really is a POS App !

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - clarkss12 - 2018-08-17

I agree, Es File Explorer is a POS.  I have used it for years, but about 2 years ago, it was purchased by some company that wanted to make $$$ with it.  Now, it does all sorts of bad stuff on you Android machines.  Like in the video, when I HAVE to have some of it's functions, I install it, then when I do what I need to do with it, I uninstall it.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - ratty87 - 2018-08-18

(2018-08-16, 21:12)generalmilk Wrote: 2179 fixed slow wifi. up/down 165mbps for me
 I have not updated the box with the previous publicly released patch yet, when they end up releasing the official patch for wifi would both patches be available for me to install?

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - Jemus - 2018-08-22

Just installed the 2179 update, too.
Didn't do any factory reset, even though MiBoy from the xiaomi board said it was sooo important.

Now wifi speeds seem to be fixed for me. I am getting 167mbit/s as client and 183mbit/s as server on the MiBox.

Hoping that they are getting auto refreshrate working aswell, fingers crossed.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - fleeball - 2018-08-22

Where does one download 2179 from? The is no auto update yet? The reddit link is for 2175

I took it from here.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - fleeball - 2018-08-22

Thanks I'll give it a go as I'm even having issues using the usb to gigabit adaptor when playing back 4K files. Enabling subtitles it starts to buffer.

Well, tried to playback some 4k samples of the jellyfishes on the MiBox.
But even the 120mbit/s video results in suttering in Kodi. Not sure why, because wifi speeds seem to be fast enough. Maybe smb which I'm using is just way slower on android than the iperf results.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - fleeball - 2018-08-23

(2018-08-22, 16:29)Jemus Wrote: Well, tried to playback some 4k samples of the jellyfishes on the MiBox.
But even the 120mbit/s video results in suttering in Kodi. Not sure why, because wifi speeds seem to be fast enough. Maybe smb which I'm using is just way slower on android than the iperf results.
Are you running Kodi 17.6 or 18? I found 18 better at playing back 4K videos, although I still haven't updated to 2179 firmware. Will provide an update once I have updated.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - fleeball - 2018-08-23

Updated to 2179 and wifi speeds have improved significantly compared to 2175, although still not as good as non oreo.

Mibox in server mode 2179

Mibox in client mode 2179

Running Kodi 18 build date 14 Aug. From the limited testing so far(30mins or so), 4K plays without any stuttering over SMB or NFS shares. Although when subtitles are enabled video starts to buffer, more so over SMB than NFS.

Anyone have any ideas why enabling subtitles affects the video playback? Or anyone else having or seeing this issue?

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - Jemus - 2018-08-23

@fleeball
I'm running Kodi 18 (build from 18.07.2018).

Also when watching TV (h264 720p) via live-tv or recordings I'm experiencing massive skipped frames. But I'm going to test if other 720p videos got these skipped frames, too.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - star4sat - 2018-08-27

Problems with the update to 2179? Maybe this will help...

I've tried to update from the OTA oreo to 2179, but I couldn't succeed in the first place. The following steps got me going:

***** ALL DATA (app data, Downloads ...) on the Mi box will be ERASED ***

1) Prepare a USB Stick with Fat32 file system (as usual). 
2) Create a file on the USB stick with the name "xiaomi_update" and the text: --update_package=/udisk/update.zip (all in one line, no empty lines) Under Windows us a program like notepad++
3) copy the downloaded file to the USB stick and rename it update.zip
4) Do the next step WITHOUT inserting the USB stick
5) Boot to recovery and select "Wipe data" from the menu. This can take several minutes. Don't reboot after this step
6) INSERT the USB stick
7) Select update from the menu in the recovery menu
8) Select update from udisk 
9) Update is starting and rebooting the system two or three times. Don't interrupt this process.
10) Mi box is booting to the oreo system. Update process is complete and system setup (language...) is starting.

This steps unbricked my system after an unsuccessful update process. Before I tried to do the update manually and couldn't get to the end of the process.

Hope this helps people with problems in the update process.

Improvements after the update?
* I had sound issues in prime video and this issues are gone after the update
* Actually the sound dropouts in Netflix persist
* Wifi: Not relevant for me because I use the Ugreen USB2Ethernet adapter
* Still no auto switching of resolution and refresh rate

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - fleeball - 2018-08-28

(2018-08-27, 13:43)star4sat Wrote: Improvements after the update?
* I had sound issues in prime video and this issues are gone after the update
* Actually the sound dropouts in Netflix persist
* Wifi: Not relevant for me because I use the Ugreen USB2Ethernet adapter
* Still no auto switching of resolution and refresh rate
 do you have any buffering issues with the Ugreen USB2Ethernet adapter when playing 4K content with or without subtitles enabled?

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - star4sat - 2018-08-28

I don't have 4k equipment so I never tried 4k content. Sorry...