Kodi Community Forum
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=275083)

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - timstephens24 - 2016-10-14

(2016-10-13, 22:39)Tinwarble Wrote: Unless you are referring to piracy, home movies or PVR, BD's are 1080p and all 1080p files come from BDs.

Not necessarily true, I get 1080p from iTunes and remove the DRM, just like I remove the DRM from a BD with MakeMKV.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - Tinwarble - 2016-10-14

(2016-10-14, 02:58)timstephens24 Wrote: Not necessarily true, I get 1080p from iTunes and remove the DRM, just like I remove the DRM from a BD with MakeMKV.

Fine, we'll add "downloaded" from legal sources too. Which still were probably sourced from BDs, it's just a matter of who did the re-encoding.

EDIT: But stating 1080p and BD files are different is just splitting hairs, BD files are still 1080p & 1080p is a resolution not a format. If you do a 1:1 encode of a BD file to mkv, then it is no longer a BD, it's a 1080p mkv but the bitrate is still the same.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - Topken - 2016-10-14

I highly doubt the likes of Apple(itunes), Netflix, Amazon get they copies from bds they are more then likely encoded from the masters that bds are made from.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - awp0 - 2016-10-14

I picked up one of these on Monday. I really really want to like this thing, but the MPEG2 quality for Live TV is pretty poor. I tried to watch NFL last night and I guess the antialiasing is non-existent. Sports is a mess, and overall LiveTV video quality is pretty low (in my opinion).

For the price there is a lot to like (IMHO). I like the voice search. My kids and I spent some quality time searching for crazy mountain biking videos on YouTube. I like AndroidTV as a whole. Overall performance is easily good enough for my taste. I'm not a huge fan of the Mi Box launcher, but I'm sure I can fix that at some point.

If they continue giving updates and improving it, then I would say it's a bargain at $70 (especially with the SlingTV deal). I guess time will tell. Meanwhile I'm keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a Nvidia Shield TV (used, I guess).

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - tredman - 2016-10-14

(2016-10-14, 14:34)awp0 Wrote: I picked up one of these on Monday. I really really want to like this thing, but the MPEG2 quality for Live TV is pretty poor. I tried to watch NFL last night and I guess the antialiasing is non-existent. Sports is a mess, and overall LiveTV video quality is pretty low (in my opinion).

For the price there is a lot to like (IMHO). I like the voice search. My kids and I spent some quality time searching for crazy mountain biking videos on YouTube. I like AndroidTV as a whole. Overall performance is easily good enough for my taste. I'm not a huge fan of the Mi Box launcher, but I'm sure I can fix that at some point.

If they continue giving updates and improving it, then I would say it's a bargain at $70 (especially with the SlingTV deal). I guess time will tell. Meanwhile I'm keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a Nvidia Shield TV (used, I guess).
If you want live TV and android you are probably going to be perpetually disappointed. Definitely don't, currently, get a shield as it has major deinterlacing problems.

If the Mi gets its aml decoding fixed it should be able to do excellent deinterlacing like the wetek boxes.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - wrxtasy - 2016-10-14

This deinterlacing problem everyone seems to be having. Which version of Kodi is everyone using. ?

I ask because you need to use Kodi Jarvis and amcodec acceleration to utilize AMLogic's hardware deinterlacing properly. Krypton has issues at the moment with deinterlacing on AML platforms.

Something is definitely not right if an AMLogic platform cannot playback mpeg2 and Hardware deinterlace TV streams. They are known for excellent Hardware deinterlacing.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - hdmkv - 2016-10-14

Don't have my Mi Box anymore to verify (en route to @Koying), but think the deinterlacing problem was with WeTek Media Player Jarvis-v5, SPMC v16.4.2, and Krypton beta 2.

Firmware is fcuked then !
Sounds like Beta quality if you ask me.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - hdmkv - 2016-10-14

Do we have any other S905X boxes to reference with as to what's working and not? Haven't kept up w/Beelink MiniMXIII II or others. Both S905X and S912 don't seem anywhere near as mature as S905.

I've been running SPMC (from Play Store). I would assume it's 16.4.2, but I'll check when I get home tonight. I tried different deinterlacing and acceleration options and never achieved any improvement.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - wesk05 - 2016-10-14

(2016-10-14, 14:45)wrxtasy Wrote: This deinterlacing problem everyone seems to be having. Which version of Kodi is everyone using. ?

I ask because you need to use Kodi Jarvis and amcodec acceleration to utilize AMLogic's hardware deinterlacing properly.
I don't think Kodi Jarvis/SPMC is going to be better. The firmware doesn't seem to have amcodec. Kodi Jarvis/Krypton only detects MediaCodec (Surface) and MediaCodec.

(2016-10-14, 15:12)hdmkv Wrote: Do we have any other S905X boxes to reference with as to what's working and not? Haven't kept up w/Beelink MiniMXIII II or others. Both S905X and S912 don't seem anywhere near as mature as S905.
It seems to be the same with Mini M8S II (S905X). There is no amcodec in Kodi Jarvis.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - Koying - 2016-10-14

Amlcodec is plain disabled in Krypton since a little while, iirc

@Koying, does latest SPMC have Voice Search integration interfacing like ATS OS has ?

I ask as the ATV OS ROM for the Play2 I have been playing around with now works for Mic capable, Voice Search enabled remotes.

(2016-10-14, 14:41)tredman Wrote: If you want live TV and android you are probably going to be perpetually disappointed. Definitely don't, currently, get a shield as it has major deinterlacing problems.

If the Mi gets its aml decoding fixed it should be able to do excellent deinterlacing like the wetek boxes.

Thanks for the heads-up! People have been talking about these Shield boxes like they're the answer to all things Android-Kodi! I guess I'll hold out for something better. Live TV is a big part of my usage.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - venk25 - 2016-10-14

Is the SPDIF output on the Xiaomi Mi Box optical or coax? Do I need a Mini TOSLINK (optical) or 3.5mm-to-RCA (coax) (like 3.5mm headphone jack)? I see a red light inside the audio output port on the Mi Box, indicating it could be optical.