Kodi Community Forum
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=275083)

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - Guilles - 2020-06-07

(2020-06-07, 15:51)p750mmx Wrote:
(2020-06-07, 07:22)Guilles Wrote: I am trying to troubleshoot my 5Ghz wifi connection and Mi box (2016 model). Could someone remind me what is roughly the maximum speed I should be able to transfer stuff in LAN with Mi Box and 5Ghz Wifi?
Atm I am not really getting much more then 50Mbs (6ish MB/s). I recall faintly that somewhere around in the Oreo update-fiasco Wifi was capped at 60Mbs but wasn't that fixed?
Was there some magical wifi channel setting for Mi Box?
So this is a pre Mi Box S model? https://www.mi.com/global/mibox/#specs

If yes, it's supports Wifi AC and should get speeds way above 100Mbit, if your wifi server (router/modem) would give the Mi a decent Wifi signal. Does it, do you have a decent 5Ghz/AC wifi signal?
I use a Tri-band router that gives the Mi speeds above 100Mbit (~130-2xxMbit << depending on the distance from my router), when using it on the same floor as my router (hallway > living room).

You could use Analiti and check the wifi channels that give the best connection in your situation.
I suppose I will check that Analiti thingy. I do not have top of the line router but all other 5Ghz devices get over 100Mbs connections with it, except Mi Box (yes the non-S model) which is about 4 meters from the router at the same room. 867Mbs is the theoretical speed my router is capable of. Unfortunately my Philips TV only accepts thin line of channels in 5Ghz network so I am a bit limited which channels to use.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - Guilles - 2020-06-08

(2020-06-07, 16:16)Guilles Wrote:
(2020-06-07, 15:51)p750mmx Wrote:
(2020-06-07, 07:22)Guilles Wrote: I am trying to troubleshoot my 5Ghz wifi connection and Mi box (2016 model). Could someone remind me what is roughly the maximum speed I should be able to transfer stuff in LAN with Mi Box and 5Ghz Wifi?
Atm I am not really getting much more then 50Mbs (6ish MB/s). I recall faintly that somewhere around in the Oreo update-fiasco Wifi was capped at 60Mbs but wasn't that fixed?
Was there some magical wifi channel setting for Mi Box?
So this is a pre Mi Box S model? https://www.mi.com/global/mibox/#specs

If yes, it's supports Wifi AC and should get speeds way above 100Mbit, if your wifi server (router/modem) would give the Mi a decent Wifi signal. Does it, do you have a decent 5Ghz/AC wifi signal?
I use a Tri-band router that gives the Mi speeds above 100Mbit (~130-2xxMbit << depending on the distance from my router), when using it on the same floor as my router (hallway > living room).

You could use Analiti and check the wifi channels that give the best connection in your situation.
I suppose I will check that Analiti thingy. I do not have top of the line router but all other 5Ghz devices get over 100Mbs connections with it, except Mi Box (yes the non-S model) which is about 4 meters from the router at the same room. 867Mbs is the theoretical speed my router is capable of. Unfortunately my Philips TV only accepts thin line of channels in 5Ghz network so I am a bit limited which channels to use.
I got 130ish Mbit/s with Analiti now that I tried and some mkv 4K clips with highish bitrate played okey from my NAS. Which was not happening 2 days ago. I wish this just could be more reliable. Yeah, I know UGREEN-adapter. I even have it. I just can't wire the cable atm to Mi Box.

Well another thing that has been bothering me: Netflix and 4K;
Is the only way to really get 4K out of Netflix with Mi Box (yes, still the mdz-16-ab model) to set Mi Box's resolution manually to 4K@24fps?
If I use automatic resolution, mi box will set it self to 720p60 and netflix seems to play at 720p according to netflix and my TV.
Netflix Add-on for Kodi will play 2160p but to be honest there are hickups with it, jitter every now and there which will not happen thru native app. And I am not even sure if the Atmos provided by the addon is worth it. DD+ with Neural:x seems to be good enough, at least for my ears.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - lightsout - 2020-06-09

This device seems pretty buggy, playing an HDR movie with Kodi, sometimes HDR is triggered, sometimes it is not. Library super slow to load, might just
return it and bite the bullet and get the Shield tube.

Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - jimkaf - 2020-06-09

I pretty much keep it just for backup now, bought it for Netflix 1080p and never really managed to get it even with manual refresh rate switching even with Kodi. There were always glitches, I returned to my Vero 4k+ and 720p Netflix, not sure I'll try Android with Kodi again soon.

Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - lightsout - 2020-06-09

(2020-06-09, 21:53)jimkaf Wrote: I pretty much keep it just for backup now, bought it for Netflix 1080p and never really managed to get it even with manual refresh rate switching even with Kodi. There were always glitches, I returned to my Vero 4k+ and 720p Netflix, not sure I'll try Android with Kodi again soon.

I have had a shield in my living room for a couple years and Kodi works great. Never had any really problems with it. But this device just seems like it's always got a little quirk.

I definitely prefer Coreelec for Kodi because it just works. But I think the shield is the exception when it comes to Android.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - DoctorBR - 2020-06-10

Kodi 18.6 works perfectly well on my Mi Box, both with MKV files and with Netflix and Prime Video add-ons. I even prefer the add-ons to the original apps, because of the auto frame rate switching (AFR) and subtitles.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - jimkaf - 2020-06-10

(2020-06-10, 06:38)DoctorBR Wrote: Kodi 18.6 works perfectly well on my Mi Box, both with MKV files and with Netflix and Prime Video add-ons. I even prefer the add-ons to the original apps, because of the auto frame rate switching (AFR) and subtitles.

Very happy to read that, I hope you don't mind a few questions.

What is the exact firmware version on your box?

Doesn't it ever microstutter on Netflix 1080p?

Doesn't it occasionally crash on playback stop with afr and sync playback to display both enabled?

Does it need frequent reboots?

Thanks in advance.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - wrxtasy - 2020-06-10

(2020-06-10, 07:47)jimkaf Wrote: Doesn't it occasionally crash on playback stop with afr and sync playback to display both enabled?

You should never use both of those at the same time.
In fact you do not even need "Sync Playback to Display" at all when devices do Kodi auto Refresh Switching.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - jimkaf - 2020-06-10

(2020-06-10, 09:03)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-06-10, 07:47)jimkaf Wrote: Doesn't it occasionally crash on playback stop with afr and sync playback to display both enabled?

In fact you do not even need "Sync Playback to Display" at all when devices do Kodi auto Refresh Switching.

That is interesting and I would definitely not mind your input, what if you're playing a 23.976 hz video and your TV only supports 24hz? Apologies if it's slightly offtopic.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - DoctorBR - 2020-06-11

(2020-06-10, 07:47)jimkaf Wrote: What is the exact firmware version on your box?
MDZ-16-AB with 2573 and MDZ-22-AB with 2604.
(2020-06-10, 07:47)jimkaf Wrote: Doesn't it ever microstutter on Netflix 1080p?
If the resolution on the Mi Box is set to 1080-24Hz you probably won't notice judder, depending on your TV. But you will get excellent results using the Netflix add-on. Do the test!
Do not use Sync Playback to Display! Watch the video and configure Kodi exactly as shown!

(2020-06-10, 07:47)jimkaf Wrote: Does it need frequent reboots?
If your Mi Box is experiencing crashes or slowness, you are probably using the power button. Don't use it!
If you really want to "turn off" your Mi Box, remove the power plug from the outlet.

As for frequent reboots; I also use my Mi Boxes with a security camera, alternating between the two. So every time before using Kodi I do a system reset...

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - jimkaf - 2020-06-11

I'm on 2573 as well. The problem is not constant stutter, its a small or a few small random stutters that are not even on a constant timing, it might be 5 or 10 or even 25 minutes in between. It only happens on 1080p (720p never does it), both on Netflix App and castagnait's Netflix Addon and trust me I would be delighted if I couldn't notice. It happens on all kinds of refresh rates, be it 23.97, 24, 25 or 50 and ONLY with netflix content. I can play videos of all those refresh rates flawlessly on local/nas storage/files. I've tried all the option combinations I think but just not to be a knowitall I'll try what you're showing in the vid with a factory reset. Others have the same problem and we've discussed it a bit on the netflix addon thread.

I -never- use the power button anyway except longpress to reboot the box.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - noggin - 2020-06-12

(2020-06-10, 09:30)jimkaf Wrote:
(2020-06-10, 09:03)wrxtasy Wrote:

That is interesting and I would definitely not mind your input, what if you're playing a 23.976 hz video and your TV only supports 24hz? Apologies if it's slightly offtopic.

Displays that only support 24.00Hz are quite rare (in HDMI-land they aren't separate CEA modes), it's far more common to have the problem with players not supporting 23.976Hz accurate output.  In that situation then sync playback to display can be useful to avoid the occasional repeated frames that you get playing 23.976Hz content at 24.000Hz.

The other use for it is when you have a display that doesn't support 23.976/24.000Hz at all, and can't stand 3:2 pulldown at 59.94/60.00Hz.  In that situation, if your display supports 25/50Hz and you enable 'Sync Playback to Display' you will have the 23.976/24.00Hz content sped up to 25Hz (just like movies and US TV shows are shown on TV in 50Hz territories like Europe, Australia, New Zealand and large parts of Asia, Africa etc.) with 2:2 pulldown if 50Hz output is required.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - AleksandarLS - 2020-06-16

Does Mi Box S can handle Kodi heavy skins like Aeon Mq 8?

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - CyberCodeDroid - 2020-06-16

(2020-06-16, 08:53)AleksandarLS Wrote: Does Mi Box S can handle Kodi heavy skins like Aeon Mq 8?

Yes.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - armADA92 - 2020-07-11

Is Mibox 3 (MDZ-16-AB) still can passthrough hd audio (dolby true hd, dts hd) on build 2573? I now mibox s can't do that , because I already order av receiver that support it.